Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
I'm planning on getting a 2070 at some stage over the next month or two. All I'm really looking for is better performance in ACC. My expectation is that the 2070 will give me good performance on my oculus rift but I don't know that it would be enough for a VR headset with a higher resolution, so I'm going to be tied to the rift for another two years or more once I get this card.
I got a Msi RTX 2070 , none super.
Together with a i7700k @ 4.9 GHz it will not run ACC in VR. Or rather it will not run it well compared to another race sim in VR.
That is on a basic WMR headset 1440 x 1440.
I should disclose that I overall are disappointed with ACC so might not have spend enough time getting it to run better.
But have never found any setting that would work for my setup.

I got a Msi RTX 2070 , none super.
Together with a i7700k @ 4.9 GHz it will not run ACC in VR. Or rather it will not run it well compared to another race sim in VR.
That is on a basic WMR headset 1440 x 1440.
I should disclose that I overall are disappointed with ACC so might not have spend enough time getting it to run better.
But have never found any setting that would work for my setup.
Have you tried last patch? Apparently they made improvements to vr performance.
Apparently the stock unreal engine graphical pipeline sucks for VR and devs need to implement their own.

Have you tried last patch? Apparently they made improvements to vr performance.
Apparently the stock unreal engine graphical pipeline sucks for VR and devs need to implement their own.
For me it is not just poor VR performance but game play and content.
I should never have bought it as I am not really into GT3 but though I should support studios that comes out with new race sims.
You end up spending all your time trying out settings in an endless loop with no real solutions.
PC 2 are a little the same but at least you can get ok frame rates.

• Deleted member 197115

And VoodooDE

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

I like what I see, more than Index anyway. Waiting for full review.

Almost HP Reverb clarity? Wow.

Will that new headset in #1224 not get in trouble with HTC by calling the headset wife Cosmos and wife link:roflmao: Guess in Germany Vive is pronounced wife?
Good review anyway Not feeling the urge to upgrade headset but the Cosmos could be the top dog for me.

• Deleted member 197115

hp reverb wasnt clear at all with its small sweetspot.
Technically it's the highest res, and from owners feedback the only headset that come close to 1080p monitor clarity. Of course if your IPD does not match Reverb fixed IPD target, you can make only one eye clear.
Annotation 2019-09-28 202552.jpg

I understand that VoodooDE, who is usually quite critical in his reviews, without side by side comparison might have gotten a bit too enthusiastic with that comment, but both him and Tyriel commented on extreme clarity, almost complete absence of SDE, little god rays, excellent comfort and audio, and the biggest surprise for LCD panels, good saturated colors and blacks.
It ships October 3rd, btw, afraid we will not see full reviews before that.

The Reverb is a one trick pony with glaring issues.
But technically it had that one trick and in the very center it was crystal clear. Everywhere else not so much.

Last edited:
Pimax 8KX
Are there a GPU that can run this headset? I know there is a 'cooming soon Fove add on" but for now?
I like what Pimax are doing but find the line up of different headset's are confusing and think they would better off focusing on maybe two versions of the headsets AND improve the build quality.
Had they inside-out tracking they might be the headset for race and flight sim's?

Are there a GPU that can run this headset? I know there is a 'cooming soon Fove add on" but for now?
I like what Pimax are doing but find the line up of different headset's are confusing and think they would better off focusing on maybe two versions of the headsets AND improve the build quality.
Had they inside-out tracking they might be the headset for race and flight sim's?

I don't use lighthouses. There is a gyro based tracking which works fine for me in any sim. It was hit n miss in the beginning for has been solid for many months now. For sit down sims, you're good to go with just the headset.

Keep in mind that with higher native resolution you don't need as much super sampling, if any. Today, I run my 5k+ at 200% supersampling to clean up the image. If I can lower that to native, I'm not asking for a higher pixel budget. If their claims of better panel efficiency of 10-15% are also true, then the GPU requirements might not be as rough as you'd think from the outside.

• Deleted member 197115

Wondering if they improved pixels utilization or still cut off like 30-50% of rendered image.

Looks like they just reuse the same hated by everyone, bulky, uncomfortable chassis by just shoving different screens in it.
Did they finally make own controllers and stations?

Keep in mind that with higher native resolution you don't need as much super sampling, if any. Today, I run my 5k+ at 200% supersampling to clean up the image. If I can lower that to native, I'm not asking for a higher pixel budget. If their claims of better panel efficiency of 10-15% are also true, then the GPU requirements might not be as rough as you'd think from the outside.
Are you running FOV @ 200 or reduced which I understand also reduce the pixel resolution ?
Also how is the static Fove working by now in Sim's?
Good to hear the gyro works but I assume you will have to center from time to time?

• Deleted member 197115

People forget
I don't use lighthouses. There is a gyro based tracking which works fine for me in any sim. It was hit n miss in the beginning for has been solid for many months now. For sit down sims, you're good to go with just the headset.

My understanding is that with HMDs you always need some supersampling to counteract lens distortion correction blurring
http://jamesudiljak.com/blog/jekyll/update/2016/05/27/compensating-for-lens-distortion.html

Resampling is used to remake our distorted image as a regular grid of pixels. There are many different resampling algorithms. Some produce sharper images than others, but none are perfect; all resamplers blur the image a little. This is a huge downside, since resolution is already quite low on today’s HMDs. We need all the sharpness we can get. To combat the blurring, we render our original image at a higher resolution. Oversampling reduces (but does not eliminate) resampling blur, at the cost of performance.

• Deleted member 197115

Colors are not as good as Vive Cosmos, also blacks are not so good as on Vive Cosmos
Interesting

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a lot of confidence in a company sending a faulty product to a tester/ reviewer and then not reacting for more than a week on enquirers for help and info.
Not very professional but maybe they never intended for him to have it. Should still have answered .
Maybe VR are dead:whistling:

• Deleted member 197115

Not a lot of confidence in a company sending a faulty product to a tester/ reviewer and then not reacting for more than a week on enquirers for help and info.
Not very professional but maybe they never intended for him to have it. Should still have answered .
Maybe VR are dead:whistling:
Speaking of confusing Pimax lineup with so many models. Top shelf of VoodooDE collection says it all.

• Deleted member 197115

Looks like somebody got Cosmos already. Not much new info though.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 44 20.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 26 12.2%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.6%