Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
The listed optional Lighthouse tracking add-on is an interesting feature. Now we know why the faceplate with the attached inside out tracking cameras is removable. Though an oddly a pointless upgrade, as you may as well go with the Index instead, which would be the cheaper package in that case.

• Deleted member 197115

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...ve-the-price-release-date-and-first-hands-on/
tenor.gif

Samsung, time to wake up. :)

• Deleted member 197115

And slightly more positive review from apparently VR clueless CNET editor though

Makes me feel a bit more enthusiastic, need to wait for proper review before jumping on it.

• Deleted member 197115

I just don't care about useless Index features that I need to pay for, but not use, found old tech external tracking absolutely unneded for my use, and was put off by poor headset and controllers quality reports. The whole headset is just unfinished, like frunk they don't know why they put in.
And in the end it is not really an improvement over what I have now.
Cosmos is pretty much the same but at least does not need external stations.
Even if the visual quality is on par with Index, I'd rather have Cosmos instead.
But they both provide very little incremental value over Odyssey+ and will be onsolete in a year if not sooner depending on Samsung and MS plans. Hope they go back to OLED.

Yeah, State of the art tracking that blows away every other option out there really sucks!
State of the art audio, what a pain!
Extremely comfortable headset with better FOV and extremely easy to swap out face pad, what a bother.
High frame rates that when combined with superior tracking give you a huge advantage in shooting games, who wants that ?

Sounds like you are just going to stick with what you've got for a while longer which is fine since you seem to be happy with it.

From what I've seen Valve is actually taking good care of their customers. HTC has a pretty bad track record especially with their wand controllers and customer support, but I'm sure they've completely changed how they handle that with the introduction of a new product...

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

What can I say, enjoy your state of the art and let other people make mind on their own.
Index is in the past, we know what it can and can't do, so your poetry filled commercial is a bit late.
Please let us discuss what is coming without you jumping on every post defending your purchase, thanks.

I'm sure that there will be new equipment coming that will be great and I look forward to seeing it when it gets here.

However I seriously doubt HTC will be the company that brings that great equipment to you. I would put much higher odds on Samsung doing something game changing. I would give Oculus higher odds of coming out with something big next year.

What can I say, enjoy your state of the art and let other people make mind on their own.
Index is in the past, we know what it can and can't do, so your poetry filled commercial is a bit late.
Please let us discuss what is coming without you jumping on every post defending your purchase, thanks.

I actually am not sure if you're serious. I've had both the CV1, Odyssey + and Index. The Index is miles above any of those headsets. The CV1 was a good first gen but it has been surpassed. The Odyssey + was like looking through a layer of saran wrap, making everything blurry so you don't see pixels.

The 120Hz (i can't run 144Hz with the eye candy i want) combined with superb audio and clarity make this a winner for me. Cosmos may be good as well..just gonna wait for the reviews.

• Deleted member 197115

I actually am not sure if you're serious. I've had both the CV1, Odyssey + and Index. The Index is miles above any of those headsets. The CV1 was a good first gen but it has been surpassed. The Odyssey + was like looking through a layer of saran wrap, making everything blurry so you don't see pixels.

The 120Hz (i can't run 144Hz with the eye candy i want) combined with superb audio and clarity make this a winner for me. Cosmos may be good as well..just gonna wait for the reviews.
Looks sharp to me, it was a bit on a blurry side after release before renderTargetScale was discovered and later on when 1903 broke it, not hardware fault.
Now it's better than ever as internal resampling buffer is unconstrained.
Some poor attempts to make through the lens pictures with with old renderTargetScale 2.0 and lower SS, it's quite a bit better now.
0419191923_HDR.jpg
0527192004_HDR.jpg

Granted RGB matrix will look sharper, but won't give you these blacks and colors. And look, no SDE. :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.