Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
It's entirely possible that they have hooks in areas that are either unsupported or that were deprecated. I'm not suggesting there won't be complications. I was just hoping these videos were not simplifying all the comes for free without rework features.

MRTV: "In both cases [RTX3080 and GTX1080ti] the Pro 2 ran very well and actually better than my Reverb G2."
.. supporting a notion that WMR overhead may be a camels' back-breaking straw for high res VR.

It's to do with the distortion profile. The G2 at steamvr 100% resolution sets a higher resolution to compensate for the barrel and pin cushion distortion of the set. That's why 100% in SteamVR is much higher than actual panel resolution.

The Pro 2 does a better job at not needing as much overhead to achieve 100% in steamVR thus the comment.

• Deleted member 197115

From NVidia April 22nd, "We are currently evaluating different games and applications for VRSS based on image quality improvements. Stay tuned…"

Doesn't look like it is has gone for good.
Didn't you use it with iRacing that is not on official list?
Does it work for you now, how, the params to enable VRSS on unsupported games are long gone?

Didn't you use it with iRacing that is not on official list?
Does it work for you now, how, the params to enable VRSS on unsupported games are long gone?

No they did not unblock adding VRSS to games that are not on their official supported list. I did like how it ran. However I noticed a new feature in Steam that may do something similar. I haven't seen the anti-aliasing jaggies return. I need to check out a track with Fencing around it. Those were the worst offenders.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

It's to do with the distortion profile. The G2 at steamvr 100% resolution sets a higher resolution to compensate for the barrel and pin cushion distortion of the set. That's why 100% in SteamVR is much higher than actual panel resolution.

The Pro 2 does a better job at not needing as much overhead to achieve 100% in steamVR thus the comment.
Curios to learn more on this. If it's double stacked lenses advantage why Valve Index featuring same lens design still using 1.4x multiplier for 100% SS?

I cannot understand how the G2 needs double the pixels rendered for a "normal" image compared to the G1, and I sent my G2 back because I liked the way the G1 looked better, overall. It absolutely does not make sense and I refuse to believe that the device requires that much supersampling. Are they telling me that if I use the headset at 50%, it's true 2160x2160 x 2 resolution, that the image is going to look all goofy? I absolutely highly doubt that.

• Deleted member 197115

There is no magic, 1.4x is the standard internal multiplier used by all SteamVR native headsets. WMR traditionally used 1x until G2 came out, and it wasn't because of the better lenses or some magic barrel distortion correction algorithm, just different conventions.

Sadly this reviewer said that Lumen is not setup for VR for performance reasons and does not support stereo vision :(
He did say Nanite would work, but of course that requires rework to add to an existing project.

So much for that being a VR game changer. However he did consider UE 5 a very substantial upgrade.

Last edited:
With regard to chip shortages, we are not the only ones affected. All automakers are now dealing with a stockpile of cars that are feature complete except for missing chips. There are far reaching consequences for all industries right now. So we can bitch about not having ready access to the latest gaming cards, but it is not impacting us like it is many companies stuck with inventory that can not be sold.

It appears Valve is after a cake and eat it approach with the Index 2 where it will run both without base stations for people who want to save money and don't care about losing some tracking ability and it will continue to support base stations for people who want the best tracking possible.

This sounds like a Win:Win and is exactly what people on this forum have asked for. I know a bunch of you never use your hand controllers and really couldn't give a flip about precise hand controller tracking. OTOH I was concerned Valve was going to compromise on the precision I'm enjoying now. So it appears everyone gets what they want :)

This also cements for me the idea that Valve still cares about the enthusiast market. I suspect the Index 2 will be a worthy successor to what I'm enjoying now.

Last edited:
With regard to chip shortages, we are not the only ones affected. All automakers are now dealing with a stockpile of cars that are feature complete except for missing chips. There are far reaching consequences for all industries right now. So we can bitch about not having ready access to the latest gaming cards, but it is not impacting us like it is many companies stuck with inventory that can not be sold.
It's not just chips either. I have a real worry there's some hard times coming down the road. We buy a lot of timber where I work and it's every man for himself in that market, it's getting impossible to find timber, many of the felling companies take the summer off and only cut in winter is what I was told so it's not going to get better any time soon. We may have to shut down in the coming weeks if we can't get timber.

It's the same for steel and fasteners. We could see more shut downs in other sectors because of shortages that have knock on effects.

It's the same for steel and fasteners. We could see more shut downs in other sectors because of shortages that have knock on effects.
There are a pile of Covid-19 bad decisions, China relations and tariff trickledown and just bad luck going on.

For wood there was bad forecasting that assumed a slow down in demand, so wood futures dropped and a trickledown from that began. Then a bunch of people stuck indoors decided this was the time to make home renovations or time to play with wood working in their shops. Urban flight had a dramatic uptick and meant that homes are being built in less urban areas as fast as they possibly can. On top of that we've had rebuilding destroyed homes due to the fires in CA and other storms. If that isn't bad enough we have lumber yards that are on fire. One is expected to be burning for another 6 months.

Steel is sky rocketing mostly because of tariffs and trade relations with China. The US steel industry has all but shutdown and we are highly dependent on them.

While I was at the beach last week I saw signs at one place saying that they wouldn't have chicken wings because the prices had gotten too high and that's from chickens grown and butchered in the US!

So LOTS and LOTS of sectors are having trouble getting materials.

So LOTS and LOTS of sectors are having trouble getting materials.
It's pretty nuts. We've never had so many orders on our books either, so demand is through the roof everywhere. In Ireland every tax payer got €350 a week as a covid payment with nothing to spend it on, they're chomping at the bit to spend it. Every thing is set up for boom times we just don't have the supplies.

• Deleted member 197115

Something about lenses.

It's pretty nuts. We've never had so many orders on our books either, so demand is through the roof everywhere. In Ireland every tax payer got €350 a week as a covid payment with nothing to spend it on, they're chomping at the bit to spend it. Every thing is set up for boom times we just don't have the supplies.
This is a major factor driving short-term inflation... prices will continue to rise b/c people have cash in hand along with strong demand for limited supply. We're not looking at the 1970's as long as the supply chains sort themselves out over the next year or so (hopefully).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back