Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
It appears that the Varjo checks all the boxes except wide FOV, being able to be driven by current GPU's, weight, headphones and price. He even mentions that it has a large sweet spot. When he says his 3090 does a good job "considering the resolution" that tells me that current GPU's are just not up to the task to run these yet at least for racing sims. Half Life Alyx is very well optimized and he described hiccups at 90 fps. The fact it uses Steam base stations is something I consider a plus. Interesting that they recommend 4 base stations, although he says it ran smoothly with just 2.
I was pleasantly surprised by it. If they have hit human eye resolution that's great, if it means they don't have to chase resolution anymore and developers have a set standard to aim at that would be a big step in making VR more accessible. Even card manufacturers could benefit from knowing the bar they have to aim for.

The fact he can run it well (if not perfect) on current cards is also impressive.

So Sony thinks 2022 is the year... Interesting.

If this AAA Avatar game being released in 2022 is done right, it could be amazing.

"Sony thinks 2022 is when vr will take off. 2022 is when Avatar launches. Both parties are heavily experimenting with video and image/motion capturing technology. Both parties want to blow you away with immersion that is next level. Both (moreso Cameron) want the best tech, but take forever delivering it. Cameron is probably a bit more meticulous with what he wants attached to his name/legacy, he absolutely won't disappoint. This can be a big big deal for vr if done right."

• Deleted member 197115

So Ubisoft Avatar is planned to be in VR? Haven't seen anything in Ubi announcement.
Would be quite surprising for 3rd person shooter based on non VR capable Snowdrop engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

Ha ha

Seems like FB advised UploadVR to pull that article off.
Here's other source https://www.reuters.com/article/facebook-oculus-advertising-idUSL2N2NX2UT

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

And more on lenses

I wasn't expecting this to change but I am pretty bummed that Forza Horizons 5 is showing no signs of coming with VR support. Not a sim but a very enjoyable race experience anyway once you get the wheel dialed in.

So..... that didn't take long.
Ads already appeared in an app and users then review bombed that app and they removed the ads.

Also mentioned is that the current Quest pricing is already discounted with the idea that money would be made in the future selling information and ad impressions.

Last edited:
Interesting. There was another review of the Vive Pro 2 that complains that the new screens get very hot and even requires you to dim the brightness if you are using it for a while. So here is a stand alone headset with the same displays and it has a cooling fan the kicks on and off in a distracting way.

HTC has been a swing and a miss a lot lately so this isn't new.
Facebook has always been about making VR useful to the bottom line, so what they are doing isn't a surprise.
Intel has been having issues for a few years.
Availability of Nvidia GPU's has been screwy ever since cryptocurrency became a thing and Covid has put a wrench in many things.

Intel's issues started about the time VR hit and Nvidia's issues with crypto currencies came shortly thereafter. So we were just unlucky with those.

Meanwhile I think Oculus has actually been ramping up nicely in terms of volume even if we don't like their motivation. They aren't pushing the high end of the enthusiast realm, but they are bringing down the cost of a good VR experience.

Valve appears to be busy and we just need to be patient to see what they release next. It appears that they are listening to what we want and the Index has been all I hoped it would be, so I'm very optimistic that their next headset will be something very good. Not only that, but they have proven they are willing to play well with others like HP with the G2. So I would say they are helping push the enthusiast market along constructively.

Now that VR has reached 4-5K pixels per eye, we have definitely reached a resolution that will make most of us happy. Now we just need more FOV and a GPU that can push it well. While retina displays are great, I'm not sure we need that resolution for people to be satisfied.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

If anyone doing anything besides simracing in VR.

VR is not dead - rather it's likely to grow slowly, but it was basically dead on arrival for me. I bought a G2 thinking that it would be the way that I'd go sim racing. But no, I've never used it for that except during a few brief trials. Yes, it can enhance immersion, but the visual quality (to me) just isn't good enough, and it's a bother. I keep looking at the G2 and thinking I should use it, but I just never do.

I also bought Half Life Alex (my only VR game). It's a very atmospheric and well-done game. But since I got it many months ago, I've barely progressed through 1/3 of it, and I feel very little motivation to finish it. Why? Wearing the headset is physically bothersome, Windows MR is atrociously bad, and the game play is compromised due to the severe movement limitations, etc. It's even kind of dull in a way: move around clumsily to explore a bit, then stand mostly still while a few creatures shamble or leap towards you, and repeat. It's not nearly as dynamic as a traditional first-person game, a genre that should be VR's forte. (But, again, the visuals really are very engrossing and atmospheric.)

Now Facebook has or is gaining a majority share of the VR market, aiming for dominance. Well, F' that amoral monster! And of course Facebook will be inserting ads - who ever thought not!? Microsoft doesn't really know what it's VR endeavors are for (ahem: ads and personal data, eventually - what else!?), and they haven't even been able to make a product that works reliably. Valve perhaps has the over-all best product for PC gaming, but at a steep price and with the inconveniences of light-houses. HTC and a few other companies are still trying to compete, but likely with less and less penetration these days.

The future looks to be split in two and then fragmented further: Cheaper un-tethered headsets, e.g. with integrated cell-phone type processors, that are substantially locked to one service (e.g. Facebook), and a much smaller market for higher-end PC-oriented devices. MS would like to control the latter but can't on principle given that their ecosystem is a general-purpose OS. Valve would presumably like to dominate as well, but they aren't currently trying given the high price of their hardware, and maybe they never will. It will be interesting to see what Sony will do, but there should be little doubt that it will be entirely locked to the Playstation and Sony's on-line store. And all those new types of exotic lenses and cool mock-ups of sunglass-style headsets are fantasies for now.

Those users shooting for the high end will slowly see improvements, but with increasing rather than decreasing prices and increasing demands on computing hardware. Those exotic lenses, better panels, high-bandwidth wireless interfaces, 4k+ per eye, etc., features sure won't be cheaper! (Hehe, wait until Apple finally comes out with their product!)

For everyone else, VR will be a race to the bottom plus an increasingly-abusive lock-in.

P.S.: I had to laugh at that Sniper Elite gameplay. It's not enough for the airplane to noisily fly overhead, it has to prominently say "SOUND MASKED" to the player, because that's exactly what happens in the real world. Also, no running allowed! No soldiers do that in a war!

Last edited:
I also bought Half Life Alex (my only VR game). It's a very atmospheric and well-done game. But since I got it many months ago, I've barely progressed through 1/3 of it, and I feel very little motivation to finish it. Why? Wearing the headset is physically bothersome
That could have been my son talking, I've had several goes with his Occulus and while I can't deny how good it is when driving it really is so cumbersome.
As to "Alex" like you he's started it but that's about it.
Maybe Dara got it right.

VR isn't for everyone. But I'd never race on a screen again as long as a headset equal to or better than an Index or Reverb G1 exists. Image quality is absolutely adequate to perform as it is required for a driving simulator. Might not be as crisp as a screen, but that's the tradeoff you make for the ability to actually sit in the cockpit.

• Deleted member 197115

My level of enthusiasm significantly faded recently, and Odyssey G9 with TrackIR completely killed my desire to ever use G2 again.
May be proper next gen VR will change it as technology certainly has potential.

My level of enthusiasm significantly faded recently, and Odyssey G9 with TrackIR completely killed my desire to ever use G2 again.
May be proper next gen VR will change it as technology certainly has potential.
Did the G2 put you off VR ? Was the G9 with head tracking just that good?
Or was it a combination of both?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea