Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
My rig is squeezed into the eaves of my office which is in the loft, and I don't have a huge amount of room, so I attached mine to the ceiling:

1621091043881.png

I'd probably go for something more mobile if I had the space.

Normally the cable would snag a little on the side or top of the seat, but this works really well for me now.

• Deleted member 197115

Hopefully one day we'll have proper wire free PCVR.

With the Vale Index the cable just hangs on the side and it never seem to bother me at all.

I remember all the trouble i went through with the HP Reverb G1 and the i never found a good solution.

With my Index I did have to take out some foam on the headrest of the GS-5 to avoid the counterweight at the back of the HMD touching the seat.

The overall comfort of the Valve Index is very very good. Because a couple of modifications i use:

- Extra support on the top from that takes away any pressure on the nose
- About 120gr of counterweight at the back
- Added the child cushion on the back
- Removed the headphones and replaced them with my Sony Sony WH-1000XM3
- The Index hangs on the cups of the Sony WH-1000XM3 at the front.

This allows me to use the Valve Index with very very low pressure to my face.
It just touches it slightly and that's it.

It would be my goal to achieve something similar with the Vive Pro 2

If the G1 did not have the break point so close to the headset, it would almost be the perfect headset, for me. I'd almost trade potential G2 / Index style headphones for the ability to remove that break point. It's not enough to make me stop using it but it's the only thing that I constantly think about when using it that's negative. Everything else, amazing. It's SO light, did a 2+ hour event tonight, granted it's nearly winter here, but I barely even noticed it on my face.

If the G1 did not have the break point so close to the headset, it would almost be the perfect headset, for me.
Yeah, I had the same problem, especially since the connector would snag on my seat. The little support cables work a treat for me though and have completely removed this niggle.

I did also consider this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4320603 - but I was going to print it in black :D

Dude I've never seen that mount. That is AWESOME! Can I buy this from anywhere? That would solve nearly all the issues with the connector for me since I don't really want to suspend then cable high. I don't mind having it running down my side especially since now that I have the G-Belt mounted to the rear of the seat and space being somewhat limited through the seat belt holes, I've had to remove the G1 cable from being routed that way.

I guess I could pay a 3D print service to make and post it to me, no?

Last edited:
Dude I've never seen that mount. That is AWESOME! Can I buy this from anywhere? That would solve nearly all the issues with the connector for me since I don't really want to suspend then cable high. I don't mind having it running down my side especially since now that I have the G-Belt mounted to the rear of the seat and space being somewhat limited through the seat belt holes, I've had to remove the G1 cable from being routed that way.

I guess I could pay a 3D print service to make and post it to me, no?

Yes, I'm sure if you look around that you can find a place. If nothing else look for a local maker space. You might find someone there who would run a print for you.

If you were not in Australia, or if you can wait what seems like forever for postal service from the US there, I might even be able to help you out.

I wouldn't mind waiting. I've gone without it for what is coming up on 2 years now with the G1. Amazing how fast it's gone. Last year was a write off and I got it mid year 2019. I guess waiting for the G2 to be released accounted for half of the time I've had the G1, also haha.

I need to try that ziptie idea.

I've not been using my simrig a lot lately, but now that I saw this topic I bought a better G2 face gasket from Etsy - I hope it will improve the FOV a bit.

• Deleted member 197115

Native SteamVR Headset with Inside out tracking, yes please. :thumbsup:
Would be interesting to learn about resolution aspect, after moving to G2 I've come to realization that just throwing in more raw pixels just doesn't do it as no GPU in existence can run modern titles at optimal (adjusted for barrel distortion correction) resolution at 90 fps. You need some trickery, like eye tracking foveated rendering.
But again, it all can be just fake news. From what I understand there is nothing official yet and we've seen plenty of exciting patents from Samsung and others before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just happy to see that they may have something to announce soon. It appears that they are going to innovate, whether I like the entire direction they've gone in or not.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.