Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Imagine my shock, Nvidia sell you a product on features that are later removed or just left to die. It’s a travesty people still hold their cards in such high regard and demand.

• Deleted member 197115

Looks like most VR specific features are getting decommissioned. Like that USB-C port on 2080 series, single pass stereo rendering (anyone is using it?), and now VRSS.
Seems like new hotness is DLSS which works flat screen or VR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully they'll have this figured out by the time the 40 series is released.

That said, it seems like they don't have the drivers fully fleshed out until nearly a year after the release of new GPU's and I've continued to see performance increases after the 20 series went out of production. So they seem to get better over time.

I was hoping that the 30 series wss going to have the latest display port spec, but with compression the current port is adequate for high res VR displays.

I guess I'm hoping both Intel and NVidia get to 7nm around the same time.

Last edited:
First review is very very disappointing
The only 2 things i really care about are Sweet spot and FOV which both seem to be not what i hoped it would be.

I will wait for some other reviews and will decide to cancel my order or not before it ships.

First review is very very disappointing
The only 2 things i really care about are Sweet spot and FOV which both seem to be not what i hoped it would be.

I will wait for some other reviews and will decide to cancel my order or not before it ships.

Sadly for HTC another swing and a miss isn't too surprising. Their track record lately is not confidence inspiring.

Most estimates are that Valve won't announce a new headset until 2022. At that point we may end up wanting a 40 series card to drive it.

To be honest i was not looking forward to re-start tuning every single race game in order to deal with the performance / visuals ratio when switching from Index to Vive Pro 2.

If the HMD was worth it, was planning on investing the time.

The way thing are looking now, i will try to cancel my pre-order tomorrow.
Of course there will an extremely positive from MRTV tomorrow, which i will surely watch, but will take with a grain of salt

• Deleted member 197115

BTW besides other issues the fact it required it's own console separate from the Steam VR settings and needed to have settings set in both seems like a huge step backwards.
ViveMR. :roflmao:

BTW besides other issues the fact it required it's own console separate from the Steam VR settings and needed to have settings set in both seems like a huge step backwards.

On top of that it seems that smoothing through SteamVR is not supported :(

All things considered i'm staying with my Valve Index. I just cancelled my order.
No there's not left to do but wait and hope that the Index 2 is just around the corner.

Reminds me of RTX demos, but this is without RTX.
What I like the most is Nanite. In VR it will mean that the detail you see will be able to see if you move closer to an object will be fantastic. It could also mean that games continue to look better with new higher resolution headsets.

They mention many speed improvements. So the next big question is whether all this goodness will trickledown to ACC. "If" they can make use of this, it "could" take them to the next level. Or they could say wait for ACC 2.0 for them to take advantage of the new features.

Reminds me of RTX demos, but this is without RTX.
What I like the most is Nanite. In VR it will mean that the detail you see will be able to see if you move closer to an object will be fantastic. It could also mean that games continue to look better with new higher resolution headsets.

They mention many speed improvements. So the next big question is whether all this goodness will trickledown to ACC. "If" they can make use of this, it "could" take them to the next level. Or they could say wait for ACC 2.0 for them to take advantage of the new features.

I don't think Kunos can just update to Unreal 5. So there won't be any trickle down to ACC.
Whenever these guys or Nvidia come out with new tech it's not an easy thing to implement into software that's already developed and released into the wild. It's for new software that's going to be developed.

It's like if Ford developed a new engine technology, it's going into their next generation cars, not a 2005 Mondeo.

• Deleted member 197115

ACC is not gonna happen, AC2 is possibility, unless being burned by UE4 taught Kunos a lesson.
And Unreal Demos always looked and ran great, just look at UE4 ones.
This is from 2012, btw

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Kunos can just update to Unreal 5. So there won't be any trickle down to ACC.
Whenever these guys or Nvidia come out with new tech it's not an easy thing to implement into software that's already developed and released into the wild. It's for new software that's going to be developed.

ACC is not gonna happen, AC2 is possibility, unless being burned by UE4 taught Kunos a lesson.
And Unreal Demos always looked and ran great, just look at UE4 ones.

Normally I would agree with you, however I've watched 3 videos now where people loaded EXISTING worlds into UE5 and simply turned on Lumen and instantly the lighting was excellent. Then they showed how easy it was to add things using Nanite to EXISTING EU4 projects. They also showed improved frame rates by simply reloading their project into UE5. That's BIG!

This is NOT NVidia RTX dependent.

So while I'm sure there are complications of some kind, what I've seen to date leaves me at least hopeful.

What I understand is that the underlying engine is backwards compatible and better, and the lighting can simply be switched from the old style to the new style. Nanite support would require that they add new assets to their world. So if we wanted incredible dash details and other things they should be able to incrementally add them. That's not saying that their dashboards look bad, but just that an incredible amount of additional detail could be added that was exposed by headsets with higher resolutions or when you move close.

If they focused on Dashboards, signs and areas of the track that have lots of details, they could add value in a reasonable time.

Last edited:
Normally I would agree with you, however I've watched 3 videos now where people loaded EXISTING worlds into UE5 and simply turned on Lumen and instantly the lighting was excellent. Then they showed how easy it was to add things using Nanite to EXISTING EU4 projects. They also showed improved frame rates by simply reloading their project into UE5. That's BIG!
Maybe, but I wouldn't assume that just because it worked for some means it's going to work for everybody. It's sounds like Kunos did a lot of alterations to the engine to get ACC working the way they wanted it too. I got the impression that meant that they'd have to rewrite their own code to work with the updates. Where as someone else that's working within the limits of the software can just turn on new features because they haven't been doing major reconstructions of the engine.

Although that may not apply here or with every update.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back