Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
With regard to the cable being an issue, I have one of these spring coil KIWI VR Cable holders attached to the top of a tripod. It lifts the cable both reducing the weight I feel and keeping the cable from rubbing on my shoulder while I'm in my rig.

I only use this when I'm in my simrig and not for roomscale VR where the cable is noticeable, but not a deal breaker for me.

Maybe you G2 owners can answer this question, but I have assumed that if you run a higher resolution display at below 100% resolution for performance reasons that it still looks better than a lower resolution with SS. The SDE has to be finer and even if the full resolution of the displays is not being utilized. Assuming an Index at 150% SS, shouldn't a Pro 2 at 75% resolution look better?

I'm still hoping Valve will announce a new headset in the near future, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
The very small FOV of the G2 combined with the big drop-of in clarity outside the center and the shaky tracking is what it i did not like about it at all.

Plus.....

I really hated WMR, native steam VR is so much better

Assuming an Index at 150% SS, shouldn't a Pro 2 at 75% resolution look better?
Here is a pincushion example with 2-pixel wide lines (i.e. not worst case):

Pincushion-Distortion.png

Simply downsampling that by 2x, then resampling 2x without removing pincushion, shows artifacts:
Pincushion-half2x.png

Supposing that VR HMD resampling starts at image centers (as it should), then pixels nearest centers will be blurred least, with blur increasing for awhile before decreasing and so-on, as original single pixels more or less map to single output pixels. This is one contributor to sweet spot size, with higher supersampling enabling larger sweet spot (within optics limitations). Less geometric distortion around the center also provokes less pixel blurring; the amount of pincushion distortion to be corrected thus also factors into sweet spot. Aliasing artifacts will typically be more evident in higher resolution headsets, for original images details finer than 3 pixels (as a rule of thumb).

• Deleted member 197115

The very small FOV of the G2 combined with the big drop-of in clarity outside the center and the shaky tracking is what it i did not like about it at all.

Plus.....

I really hated WMR, native steam VR is so much better
Not trying to defend HP, G2 has a lot of issues out of the box, but have you tried alternate gasket by any chance?
For me it was a game changer for FOV and especially sweet spot.
I was quite disappointed, just like you, with it in stock form. Looked like they almost intentionally handicapped it with that narrow and thick face interface.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

I believe just for pincushion correction 1.4x native resolution is usually enough to get original pixels in the center, everything on a top of that just adds extra benefits of traditional upsampling antialiasing.

Not trying to defend HP, G2 has a lot of issues out of the box, but have you tried alternate gasket by any chance?
For me it was a game changer for FOV and especially sweet spot.
I was quite disappointed, just like you, with it in stock form. Looked like they almost intentionally handicapped it with that narrow and thick face interface.
Yes i tried.

I tried everything to make the HP Reverb G2 work for me, but after doing a 2 hour back to comparison the Valve Index won by mile for me.

Yes i tried.

I tried everything to make the HP Reverb G2 work for me, but after doing a 2 hour back to comparison the Valve Index won by mile for me.

This is why I'll be very curious to hear what your take away is from the Vive Pro 2.

I am curious if Vive has made any progress with the optics. I understand the Vive Pro is at least reasonably comfortable, so this should be similar. I notice that it is supposed to have magnetic front and rear pads which I think is an upgrade. It also has both IPD and eye relief adjustments like the Pro did so you should be able to adjust the distance of the screen from your eyes and maybe they've tweaked that to get their 120 FOV.

Of course we will be curious how vivid the color is, how clear/sharp it looks, how large the in focus area is and how large the sweet spot is.

You can also tell us if you have any EMI issues with it. The June release date isn't very far away, so hopefully you won't have too long a wait for this.

I like the idea of a native Steam headset vs running a WMR headset with base stations and Index controllers.

Last edited:

I was surprised to see your comment that you had gone to using a wide screen display over VR and that you are tired of waiting for VR to mature. It wasn't quite a hell freezing over moment, just not something I expected to see.

I know @HoiHman also has a wide screen monitor to use when he isn't in VR.

Out of curiosity, what percentage of the time are you both using a screen vs. VR ?

Last edited:
I was surprised to see your comment that you had gone to using a wide screen display over VR and that you are tired of waiting for VR to mature. It wasn't quite a hell freezing over moment, just not something I expected to see.

Out of curiosity, what percentage of the time are you both using a screen vs. VR ?

I know you are not asking me, but i would say currently it's about 95% VR over 5% screen time. I haven't raced on a monitor in 2 months now

With a launch of F1 2021 or Forza Horizon 5 this will change for the period that the game is new.

With a mobile set up, nothing is easier than just putting on the HMD and being ready race :D

Last edited:
Hey folks,

I've been reading through this thread and I'm very curious about the Vive Pro 2. Thinking about pre-ordering it today. I have my card at the ready but am worried about one thing.

The Vive Pro 2 states that it will run at 120hz, but mentions 90hz. Does anyone know if 90hz is a for sure thing with the VP2? I just don't think any system currently running can run stable 120hz in a full lobby on practically any sim. I'd much rather run stable 90hz then something bouncing between 85-120hz.

I currently use the Valve Index. I bought my dad the G2 and was not impressed. We both only use our headsets for flying/racing sims. So things like controllers and tracking are really not a big deal to me.

I've been waiting for a headset like the Index, that checks practically all the boxes (comfort, audio, FOV, resolution, build quality, IPD, forward/back screen adjustments) that are most important to me. And I felt like the G2 checked only one box - resolution - and fell short in almost every other category. Especially audio, the first thing I did with my dad's G2 was remove the headphones and gave him my old Astro A40 headset. The audio was that bad (in my opinion!) I got him one of the thinner face gaskets as well, but still don't really care for the FOV and sweet spot of the G2.

Sorry, I know I'm kind of dumping on the G2. Apologies.

Hoping if I order the Vive Pro 2 today, it will be the last headset I purchase for years to come. I basically wanted an Index with improved resolution and the VP2 seems to finally be that headset!

• Deleted member 197115

The Vive Pro 2 states that it will run at 120hz, but mentions 90hz. Does anyone know if 90hz is a for sure thing with the VP2?
It's in the spec on Vive web site. Wish they had one more step down, like 60 or 75hz.

It's in the spec on Vive web site. Wish they had one more step down, like 60 or 75hz.
I see that, but it also mentions something about the wireless adapter when talking 90hz. I'm just worried that 120hz is the only option available when using it with cables and 90hz is the only option available when going wireless. If that makes sense.

• Deleted member 197115

After running ACC in full glory with HDR using just 1080Ti, I don't want to go back. Surprisingly transitioning was smoother than expected, my previous attempts to go back to 42" 16:9 4K were a failure. Ultrawide is like a middle ground between two, esp. paired with TrackIR.

• Deleted member 197115

I see that, but it also mentions something about the wireless adapter when talking 90hz. I'm just worried that 120hz is the only option available when using it with cables and 90hz is the only option available when going wireless. If that makes sense.
It's panel supported refresh rate, I really doubt they wouldn't make it user switchable, esp. considering demand on a system for 120fps.

With regard to the cable being an issue, I have one of these spring coil KIWI VR Cable holders attached to the top of a tripod. It lifts the cable both reducing the weight I feel and keeping the cable from rubbing on my shoulder while I'm in my rig.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VQZYN3M
I ordered some of these on your suggestion and they are working really well for me. Just enough tension to keep the cable supported, but not too much that I notice when moving my head. Thanks :thumbsup:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Trophies

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 4 6.9%