IndyCar: COTA Discussion Thread

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
IndyCar COTA Discussion Thread.jpg

Welcome to the central discussion thread for the second round of the 2019 NTT IndyCar Series at the Circuit of the Americas.

For the first time in a very long time, modern IndyCar travels to a current Formula One Grand Prix venue as the series makes its debut at the Circuit of the Americas venue in Austin, a reasonably new Tilke designed facility that debuts on the IndyCar schedule this year.

After an enthralling race last time out at St. Pete, the field will once again reconvene to do battle on another impressive circuit, swapping out the tight and twisty turns of the St. Pete street circuit for the open corners and long straights of COTA - should be a great place for the action to unfold on Sunday.

Can some of the big names who fell last time out make up for lost ground? Will the rookies impress again? How will IndyCar laptimes compare to their Grand Prix counterparts?

Whatever happens, it should be fun!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Andreas Knöpke

Let's drive side by side!
No live streaming of the practise sessions or the qualy available in my region, so I had to listen to the radio broadcast earlier. However, tomorrow's race will be shown, so I'm certainly watching that. :geek:

Anyhow, pity that Rosenqvist couldn't convert his lap record into the third "Fast 6" session. :(

Happy for Pato O'Ward though, strong performance after all that crap of the winter. :thumbsup:

P.S. Never thought I'd dislike a racing driver but that spoiled brat and last year's sore IndyLights loser Colton Herta is a f*cking d*ck! :roflmao:

And where having a heated discussion else where:D
Poor Indycars are 14 seconds off F1 times. The excuses I'm hearing are pure gold :D
BTW: I've been around this entire motorsport scene for three decades. I KNOW the pain of the indycar faithful, they just can't except it... oh well.

You know, kinda su*k it :D

And where having a heated discussion else where:D
Poor Indycars are 14 seconds off F1 times. The excuses I'm hearing are pure gold :D
BTW: I've been around this entire motorsport scene for three decades. I KNOW the pain of the indycar faithful, they just can't except it... oh well.

You know, kinda su*k it :D

Typical F1 fanboy! Prefers feelings over facts, those IndyCars are much MUCH cheaper to run than an F1 car! For it to be even that close shows that your "pinnacle" of motorsport car is overpriced and slow.

Watched IndyCar qualifying at COTA. As expected, they are around 14 seconds slower than F1 cars, but they still look bloody fast! And the car looks much more difficult to handle, as if they are actually driving the car instead of guiding it around the circuit. Especially Sector 3 looks very hard feathering the throttle and the finesse to keep the car on the edge. I'm definitely a fan of this event already. DVR set for the race tomorrow.

samcar304

Premium
Honestly i don't understand the need for comparison, two completely different cars/series set out with completely different ideologies. If your a fan of F1 that's great. If your a fan of Indycar that's great. At the end of the day we are Motorsport fans and all this arguing/bickering/sniggering really puts a damper on what it's about. Enjoying what you like.

To be honest, with this race not even having a title sponsor and the promoter says he's "expecting" 30,000 on race day, and expectations are always high, I see NO WAY this race makes it on the 2020 schd. If its a two year deal they have, I'd say this one gets the ax after year two.

To be honest, with this race not even having a title sponsor and the promoter says he's "expecting" 30,000 on race day, and expectations are always high, I see NO WAY this race makes it on the 2020 schd. If its a two year deal they have, I'd say this one gets the ax after year two.

Just as well I’m going tomorrow then, might be my last opportunity Looking forward to it, should be fun!

It's racing, they're both fast series and both have their pluses and minuses as a sport.
Why does there have to be the whole d*ck measuring contest for absolutely everything all the time?
It's really starting to get on ones' last nerve...

The lap time difference is 8.0622 seconds...not 14....not sure where that number came from.

Hamilton 1:37.392 pole in 2018

Power 1:45.454 pole in 2019.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 84 19.4%
  • €151-500

Votes: 119 27.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 71 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 38 8.8%
  • €1501-3000