I want to like RF2.....

Lol.

Guys rF2 is absolutely awesome, I really think the best sim.

Do yourself a very big favor, don't listen to the huge haters present on the web, AND TEST FOR YOURSELF ! MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND.

Do yourself a big favor...... ;)

Which sim is "best" is quite subjective. Different people value different aspects of a sim and will gravitate to those sims catering to their preferences. Some prioritize graphics over all else, arcade physics are fine as long as they can tell whether a brake light is held by philips or star fasteners. Others value multiplayer and couldn't care less if graphics were 1024x768x16.

But I have noticed none of the new generation of sims has combined all the elements into one package as GTR2 did - single races and championship/season/career mode, single and multi class racing, 24hr races with day/night cycles and time acceleration, variable weather, multiplayer, good graphics, sound, FFB. Newer sims excel in a couple of areas but are deficient, if not completely lacking, in others.

Some people are really...........................

To form an opinion on a simulation, the only one way is to buy the game, use recent official content to make a good judgement, correctly configure the game, to take the time to understand how it works, to understand what these strengths and weaknesses are.

This is the ONLY right method, it takes time and it requires a real investment.

The method of dulling your mind by watching videos/threads initiated by NOTABLE HATERS is the worst method.

But guys do what you want and keep giving these haters credit.

It is true that it is better (my god).

Last edited:
Some people are really...........................

To form an opinion on a simulation, the only one way is to buy the game, use recent official content to make a good judgement, correctly configure the game, to take the time to understand how it works, to understand what these strengths and weaknesses are.

This is the ONLY right method, it takes time and it requires a real investment.

The method of dulling your mind by watching videos/threads initiated by NOTABLE HATERS is the worst method.

But guys do what you want and keep giving these haters credit.

It is true that it is better (my god).

A fallacious proposition. Your system would have someone purchase a game, purchase whatever extra content they may want, then spend days or weeks becoming familiar with it, tweaking and configuring. Yes a "real investment", in time and money, which is all thrown away if they do not like the game.

So we instead read reviews, not just one but from many sources, and try to form some opinion before making that real investment. I miss the era of demos.

Guys, don't be an informed consumer.
Don't watch raw rFactor 2 vids of the AI falling apart.
Don't spot patterns in message board comments saying it's really not all it's cracked up to be.
Just BUY BUY BUY the game.
And BUY BUY BUY the DLC.
You know, to "test" it.

I'm not saying you're a shill, but if you were, what would you be doing different?
In my very humble opinion, everybody is entitled to an opinion. Opinions are gonna differ/vary. That's a good thing right? I mean, if everybody felt pressured to have an opinion that tows the party line, that would stifle diversity and invention wouldn't it?
TEST FOR YOURSELF ! MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND.
I think this is a good suggestion. People want/expect different things from a sim. Whilst I agree that it's possible to sift through reviews and read between the lines, I think most people would agree that those who are really pissed are more likely to leave negative comments than people who are really happy are to leave positive (or maybe that's just me, but that's how I use reviews).

There is also an option of a Steam refund, OR... you could buy the base game in a sale or on a 3rd party site for.... well, buttons if we're being honest. That way you can try some mods.... (ok maybe the mods that have better reviews) and form an opinion of your own.

My sim is better than your sim arguments seem petty and pointless to me. I would advocate making an informed decision "all on your own" and not feeling ashamed or inferior if that view doesn't align with the general consensus. Be proud to have the strength of character and vision to make your own mind up.

Just my opinion - to which I feel that I'm entitled.

Wonder if that beer in the freezer is chilled enough yet? :D

I think this is a good suggestion. People want/expect different things from a sim. Whilst I agree that it's possible to sift through reviews and read between the lines, I think most people would agree that those who are really pissed are more likely to leave negative comments than people who are really happy are to leave positive (or maybe that's just me, but that's how I use reviews).

There is also an option of a Steam refund, OR... you could buy the base game in a sale or on a 3rd party site for.... well, buttons if we're being honest. That way you can try some mods.... (ok maybe the mods that have better reviews) and form an opinion of your own.
I think it's always better to be informed upfront if possible. Reviews can be helpful in that you can see if there are specific things many people complain about and then you can decide how important that thing is to you and if you still want to try it. The refund option is nice but not really helpful for a sim where you need time to dial in your hardware and need to warm up the car to even get a useful impression, which usually takes longer than the two hours allotted by Steam. Installing and verifying all the content rF2 autosubsribes you to probably takes away a good chunk of the two hours already.

You of course need to know where to look for reviews that carry some useful information.

Buying the base game for cheap in a sale or on a 3rd party site is imo the best way you can go. There is some content that comes with the game for free that is representative of current-year rF2. That way, if you don't like it in the end, at least you haven't lost too much money on it.

Last edited:
There is also an option of a Steam refund
rFactor 2's DLC is "considered an "in-game item" for the purposes of the Steam Refund offer", wouldn't this make it harder to get a refund after trying it out considering the following?

REFUNDS ON IN-GAME PURCHASES​

Steam will offer refund for in-game purchases within any Valve-developed games within forty-eight hours of purchase, so long as the in-game item has not been consumed, modified or transferred. Third-party developers will have the option to enable refunds for in-game items on these terms. Steam will tell you at the time of purchase if the game developer has opted to offer refunds on the in-game item you are buying. Otherwise, in-game purchases in non-Valve games are not refundable through Steam.

I think it's always better to be informed upfront if possible. Reviews can be helpful in that you can see if there are specific things many people complain about and then you can decide how important that thing is to you and if you still want to try it. The refund option is nice but not really helpful for a sim where you need time to dial in your hardware and need to warm up the car to even get a useful impression, which usually takes longer than the two hours allotted by Steam. Installing and verifying all the content rF2 autosubsribes you to probably takes away a good chunk of the two hours already.

You of course need to know where to look for reviews that carry some useful information.

Buying the base game for cheap in a sale or on a 3rd party site is imo the best way you can go. There is some content that comes with the game for free that is representative of current-year rF2. That way, if you don't like it in the end, at least you haven't lost too much money on it.
I think we're on the same page. :thumbsup:

I was under the impression that all new rF2 purchases gets the "lite" version. One car, one track. The rest you choose to subscribe to yourself.
Last time I reinstalled (when the current RC came out a few weeks ago) it autosubscribed me to all standard content and because I had it run in the background I only noticed after it downloaded and installed stuff I hadn't subscribed to for an hour. Could be that it autosubscribed me because I was already subscribed to some workshop mods or that I own DLC, or that it was the RC version. No idea.

Last time I reinstalled (when the current RC came out a few weeks ago) it autosubscribed me to all standard content and because I had it run in the background I only noticed after it downloaded and installed stuff I hadn't subscribed to for an hour. Could be that it autosubscribed me because I was already subscribed to some workshop mods or that I own DLC, or that it was the RC version. No idea.

DLC is autosubscribed. It also doesn't unsubscribe when uninstalling. So everything you were subbed to would be automagically installed again.

I know I helped one on the RD Discord with rF2, he had just gotten it, and only had one car and track at least. Had to manually find the rest he wanted.

I know I helped one on the RD Discord with rF2, he had just gotten it, and only had one car and track at least. Had to manually find the rest he wanted.
If that's the way it is now, that's a good thing IMO. I was always complaining about being autosubscribed to all S397 content and that they removed the auto-subscribe flag from the launcher :)

I have always said you only get from rF2 what you put it in, it is demanding, every little thing must be just right then at times it is so dynamic from race to race you have to adjust your approach or rethink pit stops , fuel tyre wear

You can't just go race if you want that many better sims to use, basically all of them

Why I just have to wonder what some of you are trying to achieve when you go against all good advise like DON'T use Safety Cars DON'T use any flags

10 years people still persist in trying to offline race with both then complain :coffee:

Please all go do a race as I say and come back and tell me what is so wrong Oh make sure AI are trained good fixed setup right rubber so it is good at race end, stagger your pitstops and 100 other things

I could show you 1 hour races + pitstops would confuse people think AI are unusable

Historic, GT, Enduro, Formula-E, Nascar, Indy, Formula Pro I am far from good with most cars but somehow I still manage to have good AI races ...sure some ruined races as well, that's life

Biggest difference in any other sim I can go any combo and use the same AI settings and have decent races . rF2 it varies wildly and I think is that what some people don't get ;)

If you want controlled drone like offline rF2 is not for you

I been doing AIW editing since the SCGT days through rF1 then rF2 so when you experience this erratic ai behavior like hitting their brakes near the start/finish or hitting walls with other weird lines then in the majority of those cases it's from a third party track conversion where no additional AIW work was performed or it wasn't done properly.

Note: If a fast line is performed using a GT3 car then it's braking points and fast line will be best optimized for GT3's or similar . When you see GT3's or similar style cars erraticially racing crazy into some turns and crashing then it's very possible that the fast line was made using an open wheeler as the GT3 can't follow the late braking points and line.

Solution: what i love about rF2 is that i can make several fast lines to accommadate those differences in the racing machines and experience the very best ai racing possible.

Last edited:
I been doing AIW editing since the SCGT days through rF1 then rF2 so when you experience this erratic ai behavior like hitting their brakes near the start/finish or hitting walls with other weird lines then in the majority of those cases it's from a third party track conversion where no additional AIW work was performed or it wasn't done properly.....

I still encounter this with rf1 tracks that have been around for years; at Cadwell the AI run wide at the exit of the S turn, going completely off track then usually spinning when trying to return, even during testing there is a constant yellow flag at that point, and often a car sitting sideways in the road ...and this is with 100hp Formula Fords; at Bremgarten they slow just past the S/F line, often to the point of downshifting, then resume normal speed. It's not that they have this problem, no one is perfect, but that they've been around this long with no new AI files (that I can find, so I'm learning to edit them ...hopefully, lol).

I'm unsure what people are referring to when they claim the FFB & physics are leaps and bounds ahead of everything else on the market.
So long as iRacing is still stuck with 60 Hz FFB rF2 is leaps ahead of that one at least. In rF2 you can feel things like flat spots in tires, whereas in most other sims you can't or they are fake, so called canned effects. I haven't yet come across another sim in which FFB feels as natural.

Regarding physics, that's more nuanced. rF2 with its latest tire model has a tendency of being overly forgiving, which means the quickest way to drive GT cars is to slide all over the place to a certain extent. Kind of opposite to iRacing, where the limit is too "narrow" rather.

Overall the development of physics and tire models seems to have slowed down across all sims in the last five years or so. It has become a cliche to claim rF2 has the best physics, but it's also true to some extent due to lack of development on the physics front.

I want to like rF2, also. However, I've only purchased the base game and my content is limited to 1 car and, I think, 2 tracks. Is that normal?
You have to go to the Workshop and Subscribe to the other content. Choose Browse-Collections and try the Premium Content Collection....most of that is pretty good.....and start tweaking your graphics. That helped me. I can recommend Pittburgh as a good mod track.

Just checked, it's 14.99...
I wonder if everyone is going through all hamburger with fries reviews on YT before they decide to cross the line of a Mc Donald's drive in?....
It's a bargain compared to many other investments we make specifically for simracing, a real simracer should get it....useless thread imho.

Just checked, it's 14.99...
I wonder if everyone is going through all hamburger with fries reviews on YT before they decide to cross the line of a Mc Donald's drive in?....
It's a bargain compared to many other investments we make specifically for simracing, a real simracer should get it....useless thread imho.
If you can get it cheap...go for it....I got it in a bundle for about $5, happy days......Steam price $46 AUD. WTF. Even that is cheaper than 1 day of golf or skiing though!

Increasingly it seems devs are more interested in promoting multiplayer so AI is an afterthought

Not really. It just happens that networking is a much simpler, isolated and better understood topic than AI. In a multiplayer sim you can throw all the physics complexity you want into the game and the netcode will remain fundamentally unchanged. The same doesn't really apply to AI, every single combination of car/track/weather condition is potentially something that won't work so it ends up being a constant battle that is never won and ends up costing way more than netcode in the long run.. far from an "afterthought".

Last edited:

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 85 90.4%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 29 30.9%