I want to like RF2.....

• Deleted member 1066209

Hey, first impressions matter a lot!

Anytime I've booted up rFactor 2 for a singleplayer race, the experience devolves into nonsensical lunacy with AI cars braking on wide-open straights, and other cars smashing into walls. I've also raced in rF2 online leagues and failed to understand what was so revolutionary about it - it has the same features and functionality as every other isiMotor and Madness engine sim and doesn't really drive any different to them.

I'm unsure what people are referring to when they claim the FFB & physics are leaps and bounds ahead of everything else on the market.

That being said, there is a cult around rF2 that almost force it into relevancy at any given opportunity, screeching the exact same talking points about physics and FFB incessantly.

If it was great, a huge chunk of people would actively play it. They don't. It's now a dumping ground for ripped/converted mods. For the most part, sim racers have moved on to other platforms.

Who knows who has the very best physics(it certainly isn't iceracing or AMS2), but rf2 has very good physics and excellent ffb, probably the best.

I notice rf2 is $5.80 on instant gaming, I've used instant gaming many times, so pick it up make sure dl most of the 5 and 4 star steam workshop content.

Last edited:
Don't humour them, brought for $5.80 they would still complain, sort of like going back to McDonalds and complaining about a $6 meal :coffee: ......not just that most of the time it is about things you only have to google to find answers...... oh did I mention they are bone assed lazy as well :x3:

Don't humour them, brought for $5.80 they would still complain, sort of like going back to McDonalds and complaining about a $6 meal :coffee: ......not just that most of the time it is about things you only have to google to find answers...... oh did I mention they are bone assed lazy as well :x3:
397 must've done all manner of things to the game as I didn't like it so much 8months ago, but now it looks good, sounds good and drives better than ever on my never say die t300rs.

First time I drove rF2 was first build online at Belgium in F3 with $99 black momo
Will never forget 1st lap braking for La Source ,tyres, chassis, steering, car was talking to me faster then I could think, like no other before or since, yes, it's alive ! so corny but true for mine

Just a quick compare of 2 dearest car DLC in ACC and rF2

ACC GT4 and Challengers - 15 cars for $45.88AU = $3.05AU per car

rF2 GT3 and Endurance - 26 cars for $106.88AU = $4.11AU per car

To me it's like paying $1 more for coffee, if you like coffee you pay and shut up :coffee:
Only a dickhead would then turn around and complain about it..........oh wait :roflmao:

P.S.
I was incorrect before, those 2 rF2 packs are on festival special for $90AU = $3.46AU per car though it does not show in "sale" tab
I would still wait for Summer sale if price is consideration

Last edited:
Anytime I've booted up rFactor 2 for a singleplayer race, the experience devolves into nonsensical lunacy with AI cars braking on wide-open straights, and other cars smashing into walls. I've also raced in rF2 online leagues and failed to understand what was so revolutionary about it - it has the same features and functionality as every other isiMotor and Madness engine sim and doesn't really drive any different to them.

I'm unsure what people are referring to when they claim the FFB & physics are leaps and bounds ahead of everything else on the market.

That being said, there is a cult around rF2 that almost force it into relevancy at any given opportunity, screeching the exact same talking points about physics and FFB incessantly.

If it was great, a huge chunk of people would actively play it. They don't. It's now a dumping ground for ripped/converted mods. For the most part, sim racers have moved on to other platforms.

I came to RF2 after doing track days for years at Buttonwillow and Willow Springs. Was on iRacing for a while first, then AC and later added RF2.

When driving at the limit, iRacing felt by far the least realistic, AC notably better, but RF2 at the limit was the only one that most closely mirrored what I feel on track. It's really at the limit that the difference appears most starkly. If you're not driving at the limit, then they appear a lot more similar in terms of the physics and FFB.

It's definitely got some ugly warts and issues, but F1 teams use a professional version of RFactor for their own in-house sims. for a reason.

It's really at the limit that the difference appears most starkly. If you're not driving at the limit, then they appear a lot more similar in terms of the physics and FFB.
Good point and I fully agree.
But eventhough I really liked the rF2 physics when driving the FR3.5 then I consider some of the modern formula cars in AMS2 on at least the same "reality" level.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Beside the "reality" thing then some of the AMS2 cars is at least equally fun to drive.
Which is a pretty positive thing to be abls to say about an older sim like rF2.;)

Rfactor 2 is a great sim, but it also has downside to it that can be a turnoff.
1) It can be problematic just to get on track and installing items
2)You'll need to be comfortable editing json files in all likelihood.
3) The ffb really is great. The fidelity of it is fantastic
4) It has physics limitations just like other sims. Some of them pretty key as well such as road temps that if this issue existed in say, R3E or AMS2, people would be screaming "SIMCADE"
5) If you want to join a server with paid content, you need to own every single piece of content to get on it. So a Lemans server running LMP, GTE and GT3 is gonna cost you $100.

Find cars you like to enjoy and give it a thorough run through. As long as you don't let the hardcore fans try and convince you that this game is somehow going to make you a better real life racer than any other game would. Drive it because you like it, not because people try to tell you that it is "more sim than other sims"

Nothing wrong with being stuck in the past, once upon a time I did not like Steam either
in fact it took rF2 moving to Steam for me to finally relent and use it and I waited till last day to move
Today ? I would not have it any other way because positives outweigh negatives simple as that ;)
There is a difference of being stuck in the past and just being plain realistic and using common sense. You fell for the eye candy advertising of games such as AC and ACC which are great insomnia cures tbh but yea sure they reqire NASA equipment to run so that surely makes them better right?

Some people are really...........................

To form an opinion on a simulation, the only one way is to buy the game, use recent official content to make a good judgement, correctly configure the game, to take the time to understand how it works, to understand what these strengths and weaknesses are.

This is the ONLY right method, it takes time and it requires a real investment.

The method of dulling your mind by watching videos/threads initiated by NOTABLE HATERS is the worst method.

But guys do what you want and keep giving these haters credit.

It is true that it is better (my god).
The word is warped, some people are really warped.

So in MY OPINION.

RF2 is one of the Best Sim Racing experiences Ever made I can drive for hours loving the entire experience.

Then you try to do ANYTHING with Multiplayer and you quickly realise why RF2 is often called one of the WORST sims available.

Basically the multiplayer was CRAP when it was released and all this time and updates later it is STILL one of the worst multiplayer experiences EVER....

So very SAD...
Exactly this. I always thought that AMS2's MP was bugged, but after trying RF2 I almost feel like it's working flawlessly... Very sad indeed.
Well the u have to download a million things to join a lot of the lobbies would be a big complaint!
And exactly that too. How difficult can it be to implement an "cancel button".

And why are almost all servers hosting modded crap content that have visuals and FFB out of the stone ages, this while there is also proper good official content? And the few servers that HAVE actually proper good official content hosted are always dead. Then there's an "competition system", that system only hosts exactly the DLC content that I don't have, almost only the most recent content seems to be hosted, while I just bought for 70 euro other content... And when I'm finally in a competion race with content that I have, then there are only 2-3 other racers and then even with the competion race they start to use some tracks that look like they come from the stone ages, this while there are great looking and driving other tracks!... very SAD indeed as Glenn Briden said.

So in MY OPINION in the 10s of thousands of km I did was rarely a issue on my server or BB's (F3 Fanatics) so I don't know what the CRAP is ?
Sure there are bugs and issues but you can work around most of them.

If you going on about not having all content for all servers, lol
Use stock cars and make your own Server ?
Before long you will have joiners and if you use the right format and settings they will come back, they did to mine and I used the same content over and over
So I am always confused when I hear people going on about MP yet without even trying to put up a server with content they want lol ?

Some more to like is Tatuus perfect for a test server as free content
Suited to almost any circuit layout

Tatuus F4-T014 - Abarth 1.4L 165 bhp
Tatuus USF-17 - Mazda 2.0L 175 bhp
Tatuus FT-50 - Toyota 1.8L 205 bhp
Tatuus MSV F3-016 - Cosworth 2.0L 220+ bhp
Tatuus MSV F3-020 - Mountune 2.0L 230 bhp
Tatuus PM-18 - Mazda 2.0L 275+ bhp
Tatuus F.3 T318 - Alfa Romeo 1.7L 280 bhp
Tatuus FT-60 - Toyota 2.0L 295 bhp

Skinpacks - thanks to Mauro for links and list

2021 series:
https://www.racedepartment.com/down...gional-european-championship-by-alpine.42101/
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/f3-asian-championship-2021.39982/
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/2021-w-series-cars.44360/
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/italian-f4-championship-2021.47132/
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/adac-formula-4-championship-2021.46340/
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/formula-4-uae-championship-2021.38978/

2020 series:
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/2020-formula-renault-eurocup.35228/
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/2020-formula-regional-european-championship.36758/
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/toyota-racing-series-2020-skin-package.39517/

2019 Series:
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/adac-formula-4-championship-2019.46876/

Extra:
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/skins-for-tatuus-usf-17.47674/

Last edited:
So in MY OPINION in the 10s of thousands of km I did was rarely a issue on my server or BB's (F3 Fanatics) so I don't know what the CRAP is ?
Sure there are bugs and issues but you can work around most of them.

If you going on about not having all content for all servers, lol
Use stock cars and make your own Server ?
Before long you will have joiners and if you use the right format and settings they will come back, they did to mine and I used the same content over and over
So I am always confused when I hear people going on about MP yet without even trying to put up a server with content they want lol ?
You really expect people to start their own server just because they can't find their actual favorite car+track combo in the lobby? Or I misunderstood something.
That works really well as we can see in the lobby with a bunch of empty servers. Not to mention 4+ core CPUs and superfast Internet connections are not as common in not well developed countries so running the server and the game on the same machine is not the best idea.
And you also have to wait for people to join. I don't know about you but I'm not gonna sit there waiting for people, I can just start another game where I can race instantly.

I think this idea of open lobby racing never worked at least since I started sim racing it never worked in any game except for Assetto Corsa in the last few years only because you can buy AC and all it's DLCs for under $10 so basically everybody has all the DLCs and joining a server is not a problem. Not even in rF1, it was a mess. Right now at this moment there are 16 AC servers running with more than 10 players.

Everybody who has a problem with the current state of rF2 online multiplayer experience can go and fill out the survey S397 just shared here: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/survey-competition-system-development.72250/ and we can pray they will listen.

Last edited:
There is 16 servers with 7+ I can see ?
Why not start a server you can do and race on 1 PC ?
The reason there is dozen less servers then could be is the dozens that try and can't work it out to setup on their own PC like I always have
Anyway you talk rubbish, empty servers my ass

Untitled 1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play