How to Make Formula One Awesome Again...

F1 might be "great again", but it does not matter if you cannot watch it in normal conditions. In France this year it will be impossible to watch it live legally at less than 170 € per year. How great does that sound? Or perhaps we should take the 65€ offer with no image and only live timing? :roflmao:

F1 might be "great again", but it does not matter if you cannot watch it in normal conditions. In France this year it will be impossible to watch it live legally at less than 170 € per year. How great does that sound? Or perhaps we should take the 65€ offer with no image and only live timing? :roflmao:

I think the TV as we know it or got used to know it is basically "dying"
People usually do not want to be tied to their living room and watch this or that at a certain time, they want to watch it on their mobile, they want to watch it on demand. I think TV is adapting in every aspect. Part of that probably is dropping content that is unbelievably expensive (like F1 coverage).

I (am from Austria) am lucky to have free coverage of FP2, Q1-3 and the Race but its also about to end. If that is gone i am in the same boat as you: NO way to get F1 coverage beside F1 TV. I hope there will be some Pay-TV packages or streaming services (Netflix, Prime, etc.) that offer ONLY F1 for a decent pricing.
Because thats what i would care about most and be willing to pay for high quality coverage.
We will see how F1 TV fits that role (Commentary, availability, etc. etc. etc.)
Price is a bit steep for only offering F1 though. Has to be a very very good quality of coverage for MANY people to be willing to pay like 180 or 200 bucks (dont know exactly) per year for that service.

F1 must have more Road Relevance at lower costs to attract more Manufacturers (although I would like to see them on WEC to be honest).

More Manufacturers must equal to more competition, right?
For one, I don't personally want to see one single more manufacturer in the series, because that also means one more powerful team with the all the big money and corporate bullcrap. We have those enough already. I'd like to see more privateer teams instead, which either could design and build their own chassis or even outsource the chassis from Dallara or some other racing engineering company. Engines would be provided by both big brand manufacturers and specialized race engineering companies, like Judd and Cosworth were back in the day.

Privateers are IMO the backbone of the historic formula. Ferrari was for a long time pretty much the only manufacturer and privateer teams, like Lotus and dozens of other smaller outfits, filled most of the grid. Privateers were the backbone of the series up until the early 90s and it was just after that, when F1 seriously started to put some effort to pull big manufacturers to the series. We've had BMW, Toyota, Honda and Jaguar since then just to name a few, all with varying success and usually when they are lacking it, in a good corporate manner they decide to minimize the losses and pull the plug after few seasons.

I don't see this changing though, because of the costs and rules of the current series. Truth is that with all the complexity modern Formula 1 power unit has, no small enigneering shop will ever enter the series as engine supplier. Just look at how difficult the road has been for Honda with all their resources. And I believe, it is mandated by the rules that teams have to design and build most of the chassis by themselves.

They tried... They tried to limit the radio box (2 years ago, or 3, maybe?), but the team forced Ecclestone to bring It back.
A F1 with less radio chat it's a Formula that has to live alone. The entire project of the car should be made to "resist" with less box-influence. Cars should be more stronger, and indipendent, and pilot should gain more importance.

Entire racing series around GT1, GT2, GT3, GTE and GT whatnot appear and disappear with an astonishing frequency. I understand there is a single dude in charge of that, the name escapes me right now.

I believe you are referring to Stéphane Ratel (SRO Organisation) and I have to disagree with you slightly my friend :)

GT3 has been in existence since 2005 and has been very successful. I heard an interview the other day from the motorsport arm of Audi, they've made over 200 GT3 Spec Audi R8's alone. Which is incredible and shows what a success the category has become.

GT1 disappeared because the rules allowed too much freedom, then manufacturers became involved and costs sky rocked. The category simply died out as no-one could afford it any more and the privateers simply went elsewhere (most to GT3 ironically). That was around for about 17 years (BPR series in 1995 till the end of the GT1 world championship in 2012).

In my view GT3 is one of the best categories in the world right now, it does an awful lot that's right. Great cars, great variety (both in cars and tracks) and great racing. The variety aspect is certainly something I miss from F1 at the moment.

Blancpain have the right idea in my view and that's keep factory teams out. Whether you like it or loath it as soon as factory teams arrive the costs skyrocket and that normally dooms the category. Ok, some Blancpain teams have factory involvement but factory teams mainly go to GTE and that's right in my view.

Last edited:
I'd like to see more privateer teams instead

Yes, that occurred to me too. If you watch some classic F1 races from the 80's or even early 90's there was a large proportion of privateer teams. The manufacturers normally stuck to the engine side.

It's a shame that isn't quite the case anymore. Most small teams join up with manufacturers to stay afloat so there aren't many true privateer teams left.

I see mostly old farts here being stuck in the past. Let's hear it from the younger audience, how they see F1 today and forward.
I watch F1 solely because I have someone to root for. So to me, diversity in F1 is key, that it's a global thing, hopefully having someone that shows your flag or that you find exceptionally talented that you can't miss it. I also love when the underdogs surprices, or the leaders crash into each other (Mercs on Barca f.i.), and I tell you, it's all there in contemporary F1, just like it was 30 years ago when it was ALSO 1-2 teams ruling. I don't need to see people get hurt or die in F1 to make it great.
I couldn't care less for V12 or Hybrid, sound or not, I think it's great F1 is the pinnacle of technology and it should stay that way. So oldies, maybe you could let go of your fond memories how things should be, or it could forever make your eyes roll.

the worst post of this thread.
Stay away from FIA please, with guys like you F1 is on his way to his own grave.
you missed the mark by four hundred miles, when i read some of you , i think may be it's time for F1 to die.
It was so great the time it last, but those days are over.
They will never bring back F1 we loved.

With Jean todt anyway, F1 is doomed.
F1 is not F1 anymore, by any means, it is just WEC on an openwheeler.
what is the purpose here ?

The cars weight now in 2018 (with the new halo) is 750 Kgs... ,yes... you read correctly, seven hundred and fifty ****ing kilogrammes !
the McLaren MP4/6's weight was 505 Kg...
they are Hybrid..., you know like the Toyota Prius who is for Mr Todt the DNA of motorsports apparently!

i am really considering to not watch this season ...at all.
Its a disaster what they made with Formula 1 since 2014, and when i read posts like Tberg, i think it is beyond repair.
cause they have their fans now, who wants heavy cars with electric power unit .
that the way it is

you forgot everything who made F1 a legend of Motorsports:
a clear and unique identity.
we do not have to copy WEC, we do not have to copy road cars (whaat a non sense !)
Formula one when it was created and on its golden age was nothing more , nothing less than unique, wild, brutal, dangerous, the complete opposite of manufactured cars or a pseudo "pinacle of technology blablabla "

in 1984, 4 cylinders twin turbo were NOT the pinacle of technology of these days.
In 1999, V10 NA were NOT the pinacle of technology, so stop with that argument, meaningless.

Last edited:
As (almost) the entire world uses them in their road cars I would love to see H-pattern shifters return in F1 and see the artists at work with a stick again like in the good old Senna days.
To be honest I don't care what road cars use. F1 is race cars. Not road cars. The two should be different things. Not the same things.

Its hard to make the cars slower as immediately Indycar and Super Formula jump in and they are quicker than F1
Nonsense. The 2014-2016 cars were like 3 to 5 seconds slower per lap and still miles ahead of indycars and superformulas.
The cars weight now in 2018 (with the new halo) is 750 Kgs
The best part is that the teams can not even reach the minimum weights so they run something like 10kg overweight. So at the start of the race the weight of f1 car is 849kilograms (734+105+10) or more!

Last edited:
To be honest I don't care what road cars use. F1 is race cars. Not road cars. The two should be different things. Not the same things.

Nonsense. The 2014-2016 cars were like 3 to 5 seconds slower per lap and still miles ahead of indycars and superformulas.

The best part is that the teams can not even reach the minimum weights so they run something like 10kg overweight. So at the start of the race the weight of f1 car is 849kilograms (734+105+10) or more!

Do we assume that this weight is WITHOUT driver onboard ?
tell me it's within....

So you want to go back to the old days. That's cool but not realisitic and not modern. F1 will die with these rules. If indycar is more advanced you automatically kill F1. I still like it these days. The only thing I don't like is the engine (with turbo). After that DRS should be removed. DRS enables engineers to focus on dirty air behind the car. They try to generate as much as they can to get an advantage. If you remove DRS racing will be much better

Add loop de loops and spirals to the tracks or drive through a flaming volcano. Can't be any worse then that stupid flip flop strap the put on the cars. Honestly, mic the cars for surround sound so when they show the pov from the car you can hear the other cars around you at home.

Last edited:
F1 needs replays with the danger zones of the track indicated by a flashing red DANGER ZONE sign (and Sterling Archer announcing each one).

F1 needs a new theme song.

F1 needs an action lap in the middle of each race during which the announcers just stop talking so the new theme song can be played from start-to-finish while the cars are shown from cinematic camera angles.

If they would only implement these things, F1 would be awesome once more. :notworthy:

With the ugly looking Halo they should add something nice looking.....american style things....how about 2 cal. 50 lmgs to make it a real spectacle.
With every technical defect the team should have the possibility of adding 10rounds of ammo plus for the next race. For fairness reasons...
To still have it civilian they should also introduce on all tracks so called action zones where it is allowed to use these .50 lmgs for not receive a grid penalty for the next race.

the worst post of this thread.
Stay away from FIA please, with guys like you F1 is on his way to his own grave.
you missed the mark by four hundred miles, when i read some of you , i think may be it's time for F1 to die.
It was so great the time it last, but those days are over.
They will never bring back F1 we loved.

With Jean todt anyway, F1 is doomed.
F1 is not F1 anymore, by any means, it is just WEC on an openwheeler.
what is the purpose here ?

The cars weight now in 2018 (with the new halo) is 750 Kgs... ,yes... you read correctly, seven hundred and fifty ****ing kilogrammes !
the McLaren MP4/6's weight was 505 Kg...
they are Hybrid..., you know like the Toyota Prius who is for Mr Todt the DNA of motorsports apparently!

i am really considering to not watch this season ...at all.
Its a disaster what they made with Formula 1 since 2014, and when i read posts like Tberg, i think it is beyond repair.
cause they have their fans now, who wants heavy cars with electric power unit .
that the way it is

you forgot everything who made F1 a legend of Motorsports:
a clear and unique identity.
we do not have to copy WEC, we do not have to copy road cars (whaat a non sense !)
Formula one when it was created and on its golden age was nothing more , nothing less than unique, wild, brutal, dangerous, the complete opposite of manufactured cars or a pseudo "pinacle of technology blablabla "

in 1984, 4 cylinders twin turbo were NOT the pinacle of technology of these days.
In 1999, V10 NA were NOT the pinacle of technology, so stop with that argument, meaningless.
in 2006, V8 were NOT the etc....

Maybe my post is the worst, if you want F1 as it was. Realize it's never going to be that again. Never.
Even in 1984, F1 wasn't what it was in 1964.
Yeah, F1 as you'd want it to be is already doomed beyond repair, sad to say.
And please, I'm not talking about a certain engine when mentioning pinnacle of technology, like that's all there is to it.

Downforce - Make it simpler and restrict, that it is designed by humans and not a computer which is searching for the best option.

Engine - Stay with the turbo V6s or go back to crying V8s in addition with a driver controlled KERS (we have to go with the time). Engines of the suppliers should be accesable for everyone.

Refuelling - No refuelling.

Gearbox - 7 or 8 shift DCT gearboxes.

Tyres - Get rid of hypersoft and superhard and the packages for a race weekend are the same for everyone.

Brakes - Only small changes here.
Rules - Stay with the current race weekend and restrict the amount of money for the teams. Help tiny teams like Force India.

Fans - Make it affordable for normal people to go to the track and watch the race live. Only sunday in Hockenheim with normal places 230€ per person!!! Open the pit lane like the DTM does. Grid Girls.

The easiest thing would be to dissolve F1 completely and then race fans everywhere can watch World RX, DTM and WEC.

Problem solved

F1 was never purely about on-track racing, it's *always* been the combination of driver ability & technology. If you want a spec race series there's plenty of them already. The problem in F1 is technology has outgrown racing, and that isn't really F1's problem - you have the same in the WEC, GT, anywhere where there's meant to be a technology input. SRO GT racing is just a fancy looking spec race with BoP or you'd never have Bentley, or BMW bringing an M6 of all things. I'm just waiting for the first GT3 SUV.

What to do? get someone clever to pin down a set of financial budget rules that have a hope of actually constraining budgets, rather than leaving loopholes everywhere - then you can afford to be fairly liberal in your technical regulations. I'd dial back aero considerably myself & open up the engine specs - and bring back a fuel allowance or something along those lines to encourage development of economical powerplants rather than lay down the law about what an engine should look like. Fuel allowance was a big part of 80s racing & really drove the development of ECU & turbo installs hard, it was dropped when technology ran ahead of the regulations which isn't really a problem we seem to have these days what with them changing every year.

But we're never going to get back to the days of relatively open rules, noone could afford to enter anything like that anymore. We just have to have much narrower areas of open development without constraining that development into the spec series we're going to end up with before long.

And the tracks! good grief, there's this circle of idiocy driving track & car development down a big hole together.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.