How to Make Formula One Awesome Again...

The halo was added because it did fulfill a long list of things to protect the driver. There is no doubt at all that the halo improves the safety of the driver. Do you think fia and f1 teams just slapped a bunch of titanium noodles on top of the car and hope it crashes so we can see what happens?

Might sound as a surprise, but I don't have much faith in big money corporations like the FIA or governments no. In the end for them, something that is beneficial for the end user is an added bonus, not a goal on its own.

NOPE. F1 is as much about driving as it is about engennering. The performance of the different cars will eventually converge, and the teams will be more competitive. As far as racing goes something need to be done about the dirty air.

Last edited:
A little sidenote onto this:

The HALO isn't for safety first, I think. The HALO-concept was introduced a little while after the Bianchi-crash. But it wouldn't have safed his life, at all.

No, the main reason in my opinion is, that the FIA needs something in case of a heavy lawsue, caused by a harm due to accident. A drivers' life isn't that pecious to the FIA. If one dies, another one will follow up immediatly. He can be replaced. But the millions of $/€ that the FIA would have to pay in case of a death, cannot be replaced.

To reduce this costs, FIA introduced HALO, therfore they can say "We did everything to protect the driver! You cannot put us into resposibility for that!".

Money talks, I fear.

A little sidenote onto this:
The HALO isn't for safety first, I think. The HALO-concept was introduced a little while after the Bianchi-crash. But it wouldn't have safed his life, at all.
No, the main reason in my opinion is, that the FIA needs something in case of a heavy lawsue, caused by a harm due to accident. A drivers' life isn't that pecious to the FIA. If one dies, another one will follow up immediatly. He can be replaced. But the millions of $/€ that the FIA would have to pay in case of a death, cannot be replaced.
To reduce this costs, FIA introduced HALO, therfore they can say "We did everything to protect the driver! You cannot put us into resposibility for that!".
Money talks, I fear.
What a load of bollocks. Check your moral compass man. :poop:
While already there, check your english grammar too. :p

People in F1 (like in ALL other sports) of course love money, but they not nearly as monsters you tried to present them here. "driver can be replaced, money can't" good God...
giphy.gif
a quote of the century. Congratulate yourself.

F1 has long since died from my point of view. Apart from the reintroduction of slicks for 2009, what decision has been made that hasn't been to the detriment of the sport?
Halos, hybrids, going from V10s to current powerplants, reduced engine allowances, increased manufacturer involvement dictating the formula - thus spiralling costs, DRS, KERS etc, eco friendly hypocrisy, soulless circuits, changing the logo and TV overlays to the current abominations, the sport going behind a paywall in several countries -the list is endless. :poop:

Faced with a choice of paying £200 for Sky F1 for the year, or £300 for some incredibly rare DVDs of 1997 F1 practice, qualifying and warmup sessions in German, I went for the latter!
Easiest choice I've ever made, and I don't even speak German! :laugh:

To make F1 better again I would start with the following...:

• The tech is surely there to police a car surface area rule. Limit the surface area a car can have and surely all the ghastly winglets will disappear, and cars will be able to follow each other more closely, so DRS could be binned as well.
  • Bring back naturally aspirated V10s. Impose a fuel consumption limit if you want to save the polar bears, but with current technology manufacturers could probably produce a 3 litre V10 with 1500+hp, which to me would restore some of the evocative nature of the sport.
  • Bin the halo, and replace it with an improved aeroscreen in a year. Hopefully Minichamps won't go bust due to not selling any of this year's abominations.
  • Make F1 less road relevant. The less manufacturer involvement in F1 the better, with regard to both costs and the actual formula. The more manufacturers are involved in deciding which of their trickle down technologies they want to sell in their mundane road cars the worse a direction the sport will take.
    Teams like Williams, Jordan, Sauber, Haas - they joined F1 for the passion of it, not to flog road cars.
    When the next financial crisis hits, manufacturer teams will drop the sport like a :poop:,
    see Honda, Toyota, BMW and Renault in the late 2000s.

What a load of bollocks. Check your moral compass man. :poop:
While already there, check your english grammar too. :p

People in F1 (like in ALL other sports) of course love money, but they not nearly as monsters you tried to present them here. "driver can be replaced, money can't" good God...
giphy.gif
a quote of the century. Congratulate yourself.

You misunderstood me. I really don't want it to be this way, seriously.
But I really fear, it's the way it is.

And, well, my english, including the grammar, isn't the best, that's right. That's because of the simple fact, that I am neither from GB, nor from U.S.A.. I am as well not from Australia and not from Canada. And I almost forget New Zealand. But I try my best. :)

I actually agree with that.
The FIA is only so hasty with introducing literally anything due to the lawsuit the Bianchi family opened and with the death of Justin Wilson that decision was just pushed much more.
They aren't obligated to "pay millions when some driver dies", but in case they were proved of negligence, the FIA would be really bad off.

Generally it is bullshit to expect such a lawsuit to be pulled through, since the drivers absoluely know the risks (at least that should be expected) and in case of Bianchi, as bad as it is to say, he was speeding under yellow flags on demand of his team.

If it wasn't for the lawsuits, there at least would still be time.

1- Bring in plug-and-play components (standard gearboxes, brakes, ERS, KERS, suspension, bolts, whatever), BUT have the cars remain free to be designed aerodynamically.

2- Engines that sound like there's no tomorrow, like said earlier a nice V10 (hell, I'd even settle for a V8 if needed), but an engine where the fuel consumption has to be rediculously low (so that, effectively, the polar bears can handle it in the longrun)

3- Have no more than one pay driver per small team, and those teams who get a pay driver must pay to the FIA a sum that is to be directly allocated to the research and development for safety.

4- Get an aeroscreen instead of a thong-looking thing that doesn't even protect a driver if he gets a stone launched through his visor... If FIA need to prove to the insurance something they did usefull, might as well do it correctly.

5- Have the sport do its own marketing: ie. do 4 non-championship races a year on tracks that are up to standard but not on the F1 calendar. These races should be for publicity only, cheap tickets, proximity to the public, where F1 can show off in countries like other parts of the USA, South America, African countries, and the Viking countries for example. Or even street races in some rich islands like Hawaii (?? why not !)

6- Stop this artificial American nonsense, F1's not the Superbowl (if it were, there'd be at least one American driver, and she'd be black and muslim !)

7- I'm running out of wacky ideas...

9- The World Constructors' Championship winner would have to enter/create a smaller B-Team for the year to promote new F2-F3 champions for free (hell, with all that money they make it's the least they can do! And main sponsor: FIA Road Safety !). When the reigning champion team loses, the new world constructor champion takes over the team until they lose, and so on and so forth (see where I'm going here ? Knowledge sharing ! And driver opportunities ! And more money for the FIA safety thingys)

10- There's no eight.

11- Made you look, maybe even smile.

12- Your turn !

Please stop treating V10s like they were some pinnacle - there were plenty of engines before & after & they were awesome. Personally I hated v10s, not least because there were no alternatives & they sounded flat & uninteresting. Spec stuff? nopenope. Fix the budgets properly.

Noise is waste energy - why do you think things are getting quieter?

By understanding that "awesomeness" is a subjective concept :p

The subject is quite difficult to tackle without writing a wall of text, but i would say that the more control we have on things, the less meaningful they become ... that's not only F1's problem, technology tends to kill meaningfulness, that's the price for progress. Racing is simply losing its meaningfulness.

I can't hear more from this overtaking discussion any more. The sport is there so that drivers can challenge each other and (in case of F1) engineers go to the limits of the physically possible. It's not there so that people can got some short entertainment on Sunday afternoon.

I can't hear more from this overtaking discussion any more. The sport is there so that drivers can challenge each other and (in case of F1) engineers go to the limits of the physically possible. It's not there so that people can got some short entertainment on Sunday afternoon.

I agree 100%.
Moreover, F1 was never designed to see overtaking, it's just cool when it happens. F1 was created to make the fastest, most revolutionnary cars, using engineering to its most extreme extent, combined with the best driver available in order to WIN. That's it.
Overtaking happens solely when 2 different cars are on the same, almost the same, or completely different levels of competitiveness, or if you have a really good driver vs a less good driver.

Honestly, I loved the F1 of the 1980s-1990s, but from my memories the races were boring as hell when it came to overtaking. The fun part was watching real men taking these huge loud beast-machines to the limit and keeping on the tarmac, not having technical failure. THAT was the challenge. Staying alive too was the challenge.
Now we have a halo and artificial passing mechanisms. It's cool too, but it's not really the soul of the sport.

F1 is trying to just get more people to watch the races on TV, so I can understand the herrang of all this.
Before, the attraction was like the circus: People came to the tracks, bought tickets, bought the merchandise, etc.
Now it's trying to be turned into Sunday night NFL...

Oh well.. Goodbye interesting past, hello weirdly artificial future.

I understand where you're going here, but your changes would make F1 obsolete... F2 would be faster and would be promoted to the top of the Formula chain. In fact, doing this to F1 might even cut out F2 entirely...

In my opinion I think that we shouldn't tamper with the current down force elements and just focus on the funding of teams and the type of engines. This V6 nonsense is getting annoying. Screaming V8s are where it's at and where it always should be. Making formula one slower is not the solution, the pay gaps between the teams is. This way, engineers are challenged by the pay limit to make a fantastic car for the money, and teams are able to challenge each other, rather than being a lap down every race...

I would say to go back to basics and go full H-Pattern gearboxes to make the drivers realise just how fragile the cars are and it would allow for costly mistake to spice the racing up a bit

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back