How to Make Formula One Awesome Again...

Theres one particular thing, that I didn't saw in this thread already, if I didn't miss it.

Can't the people see, how ridiculous the racecalendar is? 21 races?! With that amount of races, no race is special anymore. Cut it down to let's say 4 per continent with the exeption of Africa. (No disrespect intended here, but there are currently no class 1-homoligated tracks there.) We can also put Asia and Australia together, due to the lack of class 1-tracks in Australia, as well as North and Southamerica.

That would make an amount of 12 races per season.

We then would have "trackpackages" in the seaosn.

An Example:

For Europe:
Silverstone
Nürburgring
Monza
Barcelona

For Asia/Australia:
Suzuka
Albert Park
Instanbul Ring
Dubai

America: (2 in North, 2 in South)
Cota
Canada
Brazil
Somewhere in Argentina (?)

There would be also room for 2-3 races out of the regular calender, like it was in the 50s and 60s, just to promote the whole thing in countries and tracks, which didn't make it in the pool this year.

Some of the tracks would need to be replaced each year, let's say 2. The other 2 then have to be replaced in the next season, so no track strays more then 2 years in a row.

That would bring back the spectacle and the interest, because every race would be a VERY, VERY special and REALLY important one. Now I feel the teams aren't really fighting for it, because they think "Okay, drop back, we'll have it next three weeks." That would also cut the costs by natural, because of the lesser running costs.

Legit best post in this thread. This would make F1 truly amazing, special and interesting. However I don't think it is possible because right now F1 is one huge money grabbing circus if anything they will o crease the bumber of races it is all about the money. Look at what happend to football or basketball they make more ridiculous systems just to have more games at more places getting more viewers more sponsors and more promotion wherever they can it is same with FIA.

Gravel traps and less of handholding tracks in general would be welcome, but putting back F1 to 1970's levels of engineering is just a big no.

F1 has always been one of the pinnacles of motoring engineering and should remain that way.

What I would like to see from F1 - but this is society in general - is less swag, less self-proclaiming god status and most of all less kindergarden drama, which is an issue that works from the top down (first Ecclestone, now Liberty) all the way down to the drivers and probably this year down to the grid kids as well.

People complaining about all this HALO saga all the time but we had HALO before HALO you know... We just didn't call it that way. They were dubbed "Twin Towers". :rolleyes:
_41928976_sauberwings203.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/5214166.stm
Maybe they should be explored more, they too look a bit protective to me. :D

People complaining about all this HALO saga all the time but we had HALO before HALO you know... We just didn't call it that way. They were dubbed "Twin Towers". :rolleyes:
_41928976_sauberwings203.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/5214166.stm
Maybe they should be explored more, they too look a bit protective to me. :D

There's a difference between twin towers or T-wings that act as aerodynamical devices and flipflops that supposedly should help security we call HALO.

I would like a Wipeout like experience, so I would like to see guns, missiles and so on...
Due to some kind of laws about human rights, world's peace and similar stuff seems I am forced to wait...this is a shame...
And adderall. Lots and lots of adderall. Plus all the stuff you said. Healthy and safe? No, but dang it would be a spectacle to behold :D

Theres one particular thing, that I didn't saw in this thread already, if I didn't miss it.

Can't the people see, how ridiculous the racecalendar is? 21 races?! With that amount of races, no race is special anymore. Cut it down to let's say 4 per continent with the exeption of Africa. (No disrespect intended here, but there are currently no class 1-homoligated tracks there.) We can also put Asia and Australia together, due to the lack of class 1-tracks in Australia, as well as North and Southamerica.

That would make an amount of 12 races per season.

We then would have "trackpackages" in the seaosn.

An Example:

For Europe:
Silverstone
Nürburgring
Monza
Barcelona

For Asia/Australia:
Suzuka
Albert Park
Instanbul Ring
Dubai

America: (2 in North, 2 in South)
Cota
Canada
Brazil
Somewhere in Argentina (?)

There would be also room for 2-3 races out of the regular calender, like it was in the 50s and 60s, just to promote the whole thing in countries and tracks, which didn't make it in the pool this year.

Some of the tracks would need to be replaced each year, let's say 2. The other 2 then have to be replaced in the next season, so no track strays more then 2 years in a row.

That would bring back the spectacle and the interest, because every race would be a VERY, VERY special and REALLY important one. Now I feel the teams aren't really fighting for it, because they think "Okay, drop back, we'll have it next three weeks." That would also cut the costs by natural, because of the lesser running costs.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, more race equal more money. F1 has been all about money for a while now, not going to change anytime soon.
When that changes, it will probably not, then we can discuss about what would make it interesting to people (presumably like us) genuinely interested in motor sports.
Fortunately, if one is interested in motor sports, their is much more to watch and engage in that F1.
F1 is now for the masses, true enthusiast have to explore other facet of the sport to get satisfaction.

I don't understand the argument about having lots of races per season. It is hard for the team personnel but as long as the F1 drivers don't drive anything else except F1 cars during the year then it is better to have more races than less. I'd love to have less races if it meant more F1 drivers were to do races in lmps, nascar, indycar, rally, rallycross, gt3. Of course the amount of races has very little to do with it as it is the teams who restrict what their drivers can and can not do.

In the end f1 circuit selection is about money. If you want 16 races instead of 21 they won't drop abu dhabi or sochi or paul ricard. They'd drop spa, suzuka, silverstone, brazil or canada because those races pay less.

There's a difference between twin towers or T-wings that act as aerodynamical devices and flipflops that supposedly should help security we call HALO.
Supposedly? Physics exist, supposedly?

Well, I do understand the fact, that money talks, that's why my suggestion of cutting down the amount of races isn't realistic. Right, it isn't. But the thread is about how to make it awesome again. Nobody asked for realism there... ;)

Like I say, a massive cutdown in racenumbers would have an huge effect to the whole sport. It would take some time to hit, but it would help the sport.

images

Yeah... I was just joking (hence the ":D" on the end of the sentence there.:rolleyes: I thought if was pretty obvious. It wasn't) no need to say more about it. I KNOW it's nothing close to HALO. It was a JOKE. Although...:cautious: I DO see some resemblance there...

:D:roflmao:

:rolleyes:

I think a lot needs to change in general, also about the fanbase.
First of all this constant fighting needs to end about drivers, incidents and rule changes.
And then this whole concept of "promoting F1" which Ecclestone first came up with and now is down to Liberty just needs to end.

Whenever I attend a Grand Prix, I don't quite get the feeling that all this event stuff is really needed by anyone. Most people just get there to see all the sessions, cheer loudly for their drivers and to make it an actual "event" is down to them. The parties on the camping area, large signs around the track.

And in TV? I bet you I am not the only one who turns off shortly after the champagne bottles are empty, because the only less contentful interviews are these with our government.

Stop making rules to generate views, leave the "fan business" to the fans and all will be fine.

rev limit to 10k, make them sound like engines not washing machines
normally aspirated and higher capacity limit
remove all wings and aero
no aids ,

You do know that the beloved Ferrari V12's of the early 90's already revved to 13k right?

Basically what you're suggesting is a kart with a 3ltr engine attached to it from 1970 or so.

There's no way you can sell that to an audience as it would mean historic F1's will outperform them.

Last edited:
This post is far and away the singular best example of why no one individualshould have a say on anything the FIA do.

You've looked at every circlejerk on current F1 - dirty air, engine cylinders, engine tech & noise, tyre compounds and refuelling - and have immediately gone "**** YEAH, LETS DO THIS THING" without giving an ounce of goddamn thought to any of it.

.........Except H-Pattern gearboxes.

You're the only person I've seen whose seriously suggested that, for which I'm thoroughly thankful.

This post is far and away the singular best example of why no one individualshould have a say on anything the FIA do.

You've looked at every circlejerk on current F1 - dirty air, engine cylinders, engine tech & noise, tyre compounds and refuelling - and have immediately gone "**** YEAH, LETS DO THIS THING" without giving an ounce of goddamn thought to any of it.

.........Except H-Pattern gearboxes.

You're the only person I've seen whose seriously suggested that, for which I'm thoroughly thankful.

You missed my suggestion about cutting down the racecalendar.

Unless there is a real accident we just don't know if the HALO does anything to protect the pilot. And even then, it might not be a clear cut result of the flipflops.
The halo was added because it did fulfill a long list of things to protect the driver. There is no doubt at all that the halo improves the safety of the driver. Do you think fia and f1 teams just slapped a bunch of titanium noodles on top of the car and hope it crashes so we can see what happens?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back