HoiHman Race Rig & Rims showcase

Hi Henk,

After reading that I just had to renew my RD subscription just to compliment you on such a brilliant set up. The thought that has gone in to it over the years and the attention to detail as you've continued to develop it is truly inspirational. Very nice M4 as well.

Hope all is good with you. Your good self, @HugoB and @C64 really helped me out with advice and support, when I was building my P1-mounted SFX-100 back in late 2018, based on the original plans and the spagetti wiring electronics. And it's still going strong to this day, along with a modified / strengthened NLRv3 that I mounted low in the chassis at the same time to provide surge under braking, although I subscribe to the "less is more" theory when it comes to motion so being mechanically sympathetic may have something to do with it. Indeed the whole rig hasn't missed a beat in all that time and that's despite dismantling and rebuilding it in sections, and changing to a new PC, when I moved house last year. Oh the relief and joy when it just worked again first time, including the 14 USB devices I connected. Think I'm one of the lucky ones though as a fair few builders I know had no end of issues, what with USB disconnects, EMI issues and grey screens in VR. (A large ferrite core sorted that for me)

Speaking of which, what's the flavour of your VR these days? I ditched my 49RG monitor as it was hardly being used and am still enjoying the Index, at least until the Index 2 hopefully arrives. Considered the Varjo but my man maths struggled with that so I'm playing a waiting game for now.

All the best to you and keep up the great work!

Steve

Last edited:
such a great rig, rig report .....

since i am part of simracing i always saw some of your projects
so maybe you are one of those guys who inspired me to do all my crazy stuff

RESPECT - i love the M4 rig combo - i am still waiting to get my M8 GTE to make the same picture
i see 2 problems
- i will not get one
- if i get one, i cannot park him in my basement

Cheers
Peter
Thank for your kind words Peter,

I'm a huge admirer of your work and i am honored to be a source of inspiration :)
Hi Henk,

After reading that I just had to renew my RD subscription just to compliment you on such a brilliant set up. The thought that has gone in to it over the years and the attention to detail as you've continued to develop it is truly inspirational. Very nice M4 as well.

Hope all is good with you. Your good self, @HugoB and @C64 really helped me out with advice and support, when I was building my P1-mounted SFX-100 back in late 2018, based on the original plans and the spagetti wiring electronics. And it's still going strong to this day, along with a modified / strengthened NLRv3 that I mounted low in the chassis at the same time to provide surge under braking, although I subscribe to the "less is more" theory when it comes to motion so being mechanically sympathetic may have something to do with it. Indeed the whole rig hasn't missed a beat in all that time and that's despite dismantling and rebuilding it in sections, and changing to a new PC, when I moved house last year. Oh the relief and joy when it just worked again first time, including the 14 USB devices I connected. Think I'm one of the lucky ones though as a fair few builders I know had no end of issues, what with USB disconnects, EMI issues and grey screens in VR. (A large ferrite core sorted that for me)

Speaking of which, what's the flavour of your VR these days? I ditched my 49RG monitor as it was hardly being used and am still enjoying the Index, at least until the Index 2 hopefully arrives. Considered the Varjo but my man maths struggled with that so I'm playing a waiting game for now.

All the best to you and keep up the great work!

Steve
Thanks Steve, good to hear the good old SFX is doing it's job well

I've had my share of USB related issues with the SFX since changing to the new PC. During the removal of the connectors of the servos i have also cut out all excess servo cables and did quite some EMI counter measures because i was determined to run everything from only one USB cable. All is sorted out now, only strange thing is that controller 2 of the SFX takes longer to disconnect than it used to, but i can live with that.

I'm currently still using the Index and have kinda lost confidence that a Index 2 will arrive anytime soon. If the delivery is on schedule, i will get the Varjo Aero by the end of this month.

Fingers crossed that after returning the HP G1, selling the HP G2 and returning the Vive Pro 2, this will be the replacement of the Valve Index ( only worried a bit about the FOV )

Thank for your kind words Peter,

I'm a huge admirer of your work and i am honored to be a source of inspiration :)
thats the case :)
for sure i saw some others too - but i have some projects/people still in mind
they left a great impression and helped me to get into my current situation
you - amstudio - michael with his sfx stuff and some others
and from time to time i need to share this - our hobby is just a great
we learn from each other exercise

Last edited:
@HoiHman - when you say better placement of the bottom panels, what do you mean, also, why not just mount the pucks on the underside of the panels? Thanks!
They are in a better angle more in line with you legs and further moved to the front so you feel the forces in your legs and not your butt only. Yes the pucks are mounted to the underside of the panels.

They are in a better angle more in line with you legs and further moved to the front so you feel the forces in your legs and not your butt only. Yes the pucks are mounted to the underside of the panels.
Can’t tell from the pics. Any chance of a description or pics for those of us that might potentially want to replicate?

It has been a while since my last update. To be honest i haven't changed a thing on my rig for more than one year. :whistling:

First reason : The rig is done, finished. There might be possible improvements but i'm happy as it is for now as spare time has become a valuable commodity

Second and main reason is that in May 2022, i started a new project. My very own track car. :D

The basis is a standard BMW 325i E90

IMG_20220512_074245.jpg

In the last year i have spend most of my free time modding and improving the car

- Added race suspension ( including shocks and swaybars)
- Spoilers
- Striped the entire interior
- Added a short shifter
- Fitted semi slicks
- Installed a rollcage
- Added some livery
- Fitted 4 point racing seat belts
- Installed an Exhaust valve
And lots of other improvements

And this is the result

20230712_140724.jpg

20230712_140755.jpg

20230712_142842.jpg

20230712_142855.jpg

20230625_065835.jpg

Now a year later i have visited 4 tracks and have the placed the miniatures of these track in the center console

-Zandvoort
-Assen
-Zolder
-and Nurburgring Nordschleife ( of course )

Fact: Compared to real racing, simracing is cheap even if you buy a RTX 4090 and want high-end VR

But it has been quite a journey and it's a dream come true.

Simracing is a very good basis to prepare for the track, learn the corners and lines. But it stops there, feeling the car, the tires, the G-forces in real life is something else.

And then there's the fear factor : In real life you can only hit the wall ONCE and every trackday is packed with adrenaline, which makes it so much fun.

Here are a couple of videos i made :

Overtaking a much faster BMW M2 on the outside on a slippery Zandvoort track

A lap on the infamous Nordschleife

Some laps on Circuit Zolder

Last edited:
like i said on Youtube great stuff and i love how ppl made there drream come true.
for me it was the otherway around started in a real car but had to go virtual because of the price differnce........still i enjoy it just as much.

Last edited:
Since the real life racing season is over, my interest in sim racing is picking up again.

The sim rig itself is at a point there's almost nothing upgrade or improve on.

I'm reaching the end of the developing cycle on that point. With 20 rims in the closet, i have no real drive anymore to develop and build my own steering wheels.

But it's the little things that can make you happy :

I finally scored a genuine Martin Ascher Push Pull shifter. This was extremely high on my wish list.

pThis push-pull shifter is only available on the used market and a couple of weeks before EA WRC came out, i found one here on RaceDepartment :)

It's on a other level compared to the DIY and probably the best you get

I replaced my Valve Index (after 4 years) with a Quest 3 and i like it very much for mainly these reasons :

- Edge to Edge clarity
- Better resolution ( but could be better ofcourse)
- Pass through with 2 taps on the headset ( really great for putting gloves, belts ect ect )
- Very intuitive with Virtual desktop (the first time i really don't need a monitor with VR)
- Fov is reasonable

To fully enjoy the new HMD i needed to upgrade my RTX3090 to a RTX 4090.

The performance improved is significant. This 4000 series card is huge, very huge.

I remembered 2 years ago that my RTX3090 was a big video card, now it's small compared to the new one.

Nothing to do with my rig, but nothing get's you back into simracing like a good fun title like EA WRC.

This game with SFX100 motion and the GS-5 is a blast, can't wait to play this in VR

Since the real life racing season is over, my interest in sim racing is picking up again.

The sim rig itself is at a point there's almost nothing upgrade or improve on.

I'm reaching the end of the developing cycle on that point. With 20 rims in the closet, i have no real drive anymore to develop and build my own steering wheels.

But it's the little things that can make you happy :

I finally scored a genuine Martin Ascher Push Pull shifter. This was extremely high on my wish list.

pThis push-pull shifter is only available on the used market and a couple of weeks before EA WRC came out, i found one here on RaceDepartment :)

It's on a other level compared to the DIY and probably the best you get

I replaced my Valve Index (after 4 years) with a Quest 3 and i like it very much for mainly these reasons :

- Edge to Edge clarity
- Better resolution ( but could be better ofcourse)
- Pass through with 2 taps on the headset ( really great for putting gloves, belts ect ect )
- Very intuitive with Virtual desktop (the first time i really don't need a monitor with VR)
- Fov is reasonable

To fully enjoy the new HMD i needed to upgrade my RTX3090 to a RTX 4090.

The performance improved is significant. This 4000 series card is huge, very huge.

I remembered 2 years ago that my RTX3090 was a big video card, now it's small compared to the new one.

Nothing to do with my rig, but nothing get's you back into simracing like a good fun title like EA WRC.

This game with SFX100 motion and the GS-5 is a blast, can't wait to play this in VR

How about the compression artefacts in the Q3? Kind of killed the experience for me in the Q2.

I already had a wifi 6 router and i have made this a dedicated virtual desktop router with a 2400pMb wifi transfer.

On virtual desktop with 450-500Mb bitrate there are occassional some slight compression effects in the grey road surface directly ahead, but this is minimal.

But VD is much better than oculus link

I already had a wifi 6 router and i have made this a dedicated virtual desktop router with a 2400pMb wifi transfer.

On virtual desktop with 450-500Mb bitrate there are occassional some slight compression effects in the grey road surface directly ahead, but this is minimal.

But VD is much better than oculus link
Interesting, thanks.
I'd kind of promised myself to only consider OLED and Display Port for HMDs, but Meta have a free 1-month trial on the Q3 at the moment so I might give one a wiggle.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back