Paul Jeffrey

Premium
We talk to Niels Heusinkveld and try out the soon to be released Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Sprint.

Catching up with Niels Heusinkveld at the recent very busy Sim Racing Expo over in Germany, we took the opportunity to quiz the man behind Heusinkveld Engineering about his newly announced Sim Pedals Sprint set of high end sim racing pedals. With Niels in a buoyant mood following what appeared to be a largely very positive reception to the new hardware, we took the opportunity to question him about the features and improvements of the new gear, learning plenty about how some dramatic software features and production improvements have moved the product range on from the already very impressive offerings of HE Engineering.

Not content with merely taking Niels at his word, we also couldn't quite resist the chance to get strapped into the cockpit and have a go ourselves, recording a short but sweet talk and drive segment as we give our first impressions based on the limited time we had with these brand new set of pedals.

Frankly, I was very impressed, although it is exceptionally hard to gather any serious kind of feel with something like a high end set of pedals with such a short period of time behind the wheel... not helped any by a crowd of people watching on, and a camera and microphone in my face!

However, with that said I'm going to be lucky enough to take receipt of a review set of these pedals in the very near future, so please consider this more of a taster video, with a much more in depth and detailed look at the HE Sim Pedals Sprint set to appear on our various social media channels in the near future. So stay tuned, get subscribed and watch out for some new footage in the (hopefully) coming weeks...

Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Sprint Talk n Drive.jpg

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Also remember that just because it has a 140kg load cell doesn't mean you have to use 140kg of braking force. My Meca Cups have a 200kg load cell for instance, and when calibrating you just push the brake with as much force as you want to be the maximum and set it there, the higher load cell just gives you headroom in case you want to do a super heavy pedal.

Upvote 0
Hi @Enzo Fazzi
We all need to ask you guys a very serious question,
if we ask nicely can you please make us something similar to this ?
to save everyone ordering from Australia...

I think we can all agree this be a very suitable upgrade to have provided directly, some faces with some grip.

Upvote 0
Hi @Enzo Fazzi

I think we can all agree this be a very suitable upgrade to have provided directly, some faces with some grip.
They look awesome! I wonder if Simon at sim racing machines will stock them, since he imports xero play QRs...

I did find some files for 3d printed covers so I'm using those at the moment. They make them much more comfortable when I can't be arsed to put shoes on.

Upvote 0
They look awesome! I wonder if Simon at sim racing machines will stock them, since he imports xero play QRs...

I did find some files for 3d printed covers so I'm using those at the moment. They make them much more comfortable when I can't be arsed to put shoes on.
Was @Kayumi who shown them to me he always finds the cool stuff,
but these be perfect for that extra grip, almost shiny like glass these Sprint ones the surface is way too slidy I think even with my sparco boots still slippy

Upvote 0

These are the 3d printed covers, I then just glued some grippy rubber to the faces. Obviously they don't look anywhere near as nice as the HRS ones but work well enough for me.

Upvote 0

These are the 3d printed covers, I then just glued some grippy rubber to the faces. Obviously they don't look anywhere near as nice as the HRS ones but work well enough for me.
Hmm they look awesome might be worth taking that file and editing it to add the 3d grooves the details into it could get it machined I bet be cheaper than the 179$ + postage + imports lol

for personal pedals of course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sprint pedals arrived today and literally every washer is rusty and the springs look as though they've been in a blender.

Is this normal for 700 euro pedals?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-12 144518.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-12 144518.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 223
Upvote 0
I suppose for 700 euros I was expecting at least stainless steel washers. So unfortunate.

These pedals have been something I've been looking forward to eventually buying since I first got into simracing. I'm in my 30s now and getting cool stuff that excites me doesn't happen that much anymore. Really bummed to to pull these out of the box after wanting them for so many years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is very sad news.
For 3 years I was sick with these pedals, 4 times I wanted to buy them I was close to pressing the buy button, but each time the supply ran out, or there was a sudden change of plans, family or other expenses.
Now, as a result of a pandemic, I don't have anything to dream about them anymore and I decided to DIY, which are a part of Sprint's costs, but still my heart beats faster when I see them in someone who has just bought them and wants to introduce them to their system.
This is really unpleasant news, I only hope that they will improve the times and the friend will only be satisfied.
I'm sorry for my English

Upvote 0
Sprint pedals arrived today and literally every washer is rusty and the springs look as though they've been in a blender.

Is this normal for 700 euro pedals?
No. Definately not. Mine were immaculate.
Maybe the package was subjected to some higher moisture levels in storage.
To be fair for typical use in your appartment you don't need stainless bolts and washers, the nickel plated ones should suffice. But I can understand your sentiment seeing the price tag...

Talk to Heusinkveld about this. They are very forthcoming normally.

Upvote 0
No. Definately not. Mine were immaculate.
Maybe the package was subjected to some higher moisture levels in storage.
To be fair for typical use in your appartment you don't need stainless bolts and washers, the nickel plated ones should suffice. But I can understand your sentiment seeing the price tag...

Talk to Heusinkveld about this. They are very forthcoming normally.

Yeah how they were stored was also my concern.

Upvote 0
Hi @Enzo Fazzi

Finally, someone has made alternative replacement faces for the Sprints! However, I don't see too much improvement. Yeah, the extra grip is there, but they are too similar to the stock pedal faces. What I wish is a brake pedal with more curvature. Also, will they sell the 3-pack or can I just purchase the pedal I need?

Upvote 0
Finally, someone has made alternative replacement faces for the Sprints! However, I don't see too much improvement. Yeah, the extra grip is there, but they are too similar to the stock pedal faces. What I wish is a brake pedal with more curvature. Also, will they sell the 3-pack or can I just purchase the pedal I need?
I started designing my own to have CNC machined should be flawless for nice finished with a wider brake, I don’t have the clutch though I sold it

Upvote 0
looks like another day is going to go by without knowing when i am going to get a replacement for my pedals. they responded on friday directly in response to my post in this thread, but i haven't heard anything else.

i know i only wrote them on friday, and i'm likely just being nitpicky and whiny, but after all i have been told about their service for years i figured i would at least have an idea on when i would get replacements by now. i think my expectations were just sent to the moon considering the amazing support i've had from other simracing companies. when working with the guys at simracingbay or simlab i've never waited this long to know what is going on. just last week i emailed darko over at simlab about having difficulty with some corner brackets and within 24 hours they had responded with a concrete solution and i will be receiving parts today.

i supposed i should have realized they aren't the small bespoke pedal manufacturer they once were.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
HE have some of the best customer service that I've both heard of and experienced first hand. Just be patient mate, you never know what's going on with people. We're in very odd times for companies and people in general. I'd be VERY surprised if you weren't taken care of once they get to your complaint.

Reactions: CC
Upvote 0
I'd be VERY surprised if you weren't taken care of once they get to your complaint.

like i said before they already said they would replace pedals i received that arrived with rust on every washer, but i would expect that of any company, would you not?

i'm merely commenting on the customer support i've received so far and what my expectations were compared to other online simracing retailers.

you said in your above they have the best customer service you have literally ever experienced first hand

if my expectations were lofty i suppose thats my fault in the end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I said SOME. Don't put words in my mouth just because my experience has not lined up with your own. For what they manufacture in the market that they are in, they provide excellent customer service that is well documented in sim racing circles.

Upvote 0
I said SOME. Don't put words in my mouth just because my experience has not lined up with your own. For what they manufacture in the market that they are in, they provide excellent customer service that is well documented in sim racing circles.
HE have some of the best customer service that I've both heard of and experienced first hand.

that turn of phrase usually doesn't mean, "some of their service is good, some is not" it's usually a descriptor of an entire system. if i said, "simucube 2's are some of the best wheelbases around" i don't mean that they have some good ones and some bad ones, i mean that relative to other offerings they are among the best in class.

again, you mentioned their reputation in simracing circles, i agree, and it's one of the reasons i chose to spend my money there.

needless to say despite this community's willingness to apologize on their behalf for some reason i am still disappointed given what i had heard.

i'm fully acknowledging that i am probably being picky, unreasonable, and bitter, but it doesn't necessarily make me wrong.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea