Paul Jeffrey

Premium
We talk to Niels Heusinkveld and try out the soon to be released Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Sprint.

Catching up with Niels Heusinkveld at the recent very busy Sim Racing Expo over in Germany, we took the opportunity to quiz the man behind Heusinkveld Engineering about his newly announced Sim Pedals Sprint set of high end sim racing pedals. With Niels in a buoyant mood following what appeared to be a largely very positive reception to the new hardware, we took the opportunity to question him about the features and improvements of the new gear, learning plenty about how some dramatic software features and production improvements have moved the product range on from the already very impressive offerings of HE Engineering.

Not content with merely taking Niels at his word, we also couldn't quite resist the chance to get strapped into the cockpit and have a go ourselves, recording a short but sweet talk and drive segment as we give our first impressions based on the limited time we had with these brand new set of pedals.

Frankly, I was very impressed, although it is exceptionally hard to gather any serious kind of feel with something like a high end set of pedals with such a short period of time behind the wheel... not helped any by a crowd of people watching on, and a camera and microphone in my face!

However, with that said I'm going to be lucky enough to take receipt of a review set of these pedals in the very near future, so please consider this more of a taster video, with a much more in depth and detailed look at the HE Sim Pedals Sprint set to appear on our various social media channels in the near future. So stay tuned, get subscribed and watch out for some new footage in the (hopefully) coming weeks...

Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Sprint Talk n Drive.jpg

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
"Lie over and take it" is a complete matter of perspective dependent on whether you see this as a mountain or a mole hill.

After seeing your pictures, I saw a mole hill. Obviously you feel differently and that's fine, but don't be mad that the world doesn't see everything threw your eyes.

I'm not mad, just surprised at what people are willing to accept for the money they earn and lengths they will go to justify it.

I've already admitted that there is potential that my annoyance is unreasonable, I'm just surprised a the lack of self-awareness coming from the other side of this.

Upvote 0
Also, I am completely blown away that seemingly with a company like fanatec or thrustmaster people go on tirades over the quality of their products and the community applauds, but if anyone has criticism for one of the brands the community approves of they literally brag about the low quality of their multi-thousand dollar purchase and how they are okay with it.

Upvote 0
Oh it's very nice, and yet I cleaned rust off of it and replaced what I considered substandard bolts for a piece of this caliber. I still love this shifter.

Not only that, but when mine shipped it didn't have a standard thread pattern for the shift knob and I had a friend lathe an adapter for me so I could install a $250 shift knob. However it appears that they have gone to a standard thread now.
I wish I had room for it where mine is I have a HE shifter + handbrake but I need my mouse tray to work and its packed solid not 1mm spare to add it sadly I do admire it though a lot!

Upvote 0
I wish I had room for it where mine is I have a HE shifter + handbrake but I need my mouse tray to work and its packed solid not 1mm spare to add it sadly I do admire it though a lot!

Use a trackball mouse :) Mine is in that picture. It takes up a much smaller footprint.

Here's a custom trackball mouse tray that I put out on Thingaverse. There is an M5 and an M6 version.

Upvote 0
Use a trackball mouse :) Mine is in that picture. It takes up a much smaller footprint.

Here's a custom trackball mouse tray that I put out on Thingaverse. There is an M5 and an M6 version.
Thx,
yeah im so used to what I have a simlabs one I rest my lower arm and hand on it feels so comfortable 3d modelling any changes just throw me out, thx for thinking of me much appreciated!

Upvote 0
Also, I am completely blown away that seemingly with a company like fanatec or thrustmaster people go on tirades over the quality of their products and the community applauds, but if anyone has criticism for one of the brands the community approves of they literally brag about the low quality of their multi-thousand dollar purchase and how they are okay with it.

I don't consider my ProSim H pattern shift low quality. It's a beautiful piece of kit that feels better than any other shift currently on the market. I look forward to buying their hydraulic lockout for it.

It had 4 cheap bolts on it, but is otherwise impeccably built. The internals are designed by Quaife Engineering and they design real race car transmissions. You won't find anything nicer out there.

Here is the key difference between how we look at this.

I think I can take 5 minutes to wipe the rust off and then enjoy it.

You have some kind of mental block and think this is unacceptable.

I believe I'm a happier person with my world view than yours, but do what works for you!

Upvote 0
I don't consider my ProSim H pattern shift low quality. It's a beautiful piece of kit that feels better than any other shift currently on the market. I look forward to buying their hydraulic lockout for it.

It had 4 cheap bolts on it, but is otherwise impeccably built. The internals are designed by Quaife Engineering and they design real race car transmissions. You won't find anything nicer out there.

Here is the key difference between how we look at this.

I think I can take 5 minutes to wipe the rust off and then enjoy it.

I believe I'm a happier person with my world view than yours, but do what works for you!
Ride those puppies ride hard and move on!

got to give the guy some respect though standing by his morals and not installing them or enjoying them because there is some rust speckles on the washers, he’s a bigger man than me!

Upvote 0
To be clear I've modified my Sprints.

I have the clutch and brake on a sliding plate for 2 or 3 pedal operation to make left foot braking easier when I don't need a clutch. I've also added a curved piece over the clutch pedal. I didn't need that until I inverted the pedals.

They are a part of a larger system and I treat them as such.

Pedals_5982.jpg

Upvote 0

Valuing my money is definitely a mental block.

I am a collecter of guitars and a few other things and not once have I seen someone brag about their expensive boutique equipment rusting after a short period of time.

You seem to be projecting a lot of feelings onto me, I'm fine, just disappointed and lending my voice to the chorus of opinions on a product. I've just wanted these pedals for a while and for the money I did expect them to be relatively rust-free, something which is apparently unreasonable.

Upvote 0
To be clear I've modified my Sprints.

I have the clutch and brake on a sliding plate for 2 or 3 pedal operation to make left foot braking easier when I don't need a clutch. I've also added a curved piece over the clutch pedal. I didn't need that until I inverted the pedals.

They are a part of a larger system and I treat them as such.

View attachment 445720
Oh man you put some love into that rig well done!
all adjustable and inverted like that awesome work

Upvote 0
Karen syndrome.

I was the first to admit that I'm probably acting like this, at least a bit, I think it's weird that people keep trying to insult me over not wanting a rusty product.

Seriously, imagine insulting someone's education or calling them names because they were disappointed by a product.

Edit: If I'm being a karen over this, you all have to admit the autistic screeching over anything fanatec is also karen-like

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since my situation is (i assume) soon to be resolved, I'll stop talking about it and end on this. I should have expected this since the regulars on any simracing forum might as well be an HE owners club who wouldn't take any circle-jerk breaking well.

I just didn't really expect the conversation to end up with a bunch of people having a dick-measuring contest about who got the rustier products and didn't think to write an email about it.

And again, in case someone else want's to bravely come in and jump on the dogpile like my mans andrew here, i already know that the language I used to describe this situation comes off as a bit neurotic and unreasonable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You are assuming a lot here, I didn't demand a replacement set here or in the email I sent them, I merely informed them of the problem, they suggested sending a replacement set.

I assume a lot here? Such as?

I didn't assume anything, I simply asked a question and offered a possible solution that could work for both parties involved.

I'm not saying what I offered (new washers and discount) necessarily works for you, that's why i suggested to get on the phone and discuss what works FOR YOU.
Unless you are the person that doesn't compromise, I'm sure HE will offer something to your satisfaction.

You said yourself that they already offered replacing the whole set. I doubt Thrustmaster or Fanatec would offer full replacement if there was some rust on the washer. That speaks volumes to me how good their (Heusinkveld) customer service is.

What you do is ultimately up to you, but you seem angry at us that we would not necessary go the full refund/replacement route.

We feel for you, you expected immaculate product, and rightly so, but got product with slight cosmetic defect.

I don't understand though why, since Heusinkveld already offered a full replacement, you are venting here? What else do you expect them to do?

Upvote 0
but you seem angry at us that we would not necessary go the full refund/replacement route.

Certainly not as angry as the people insulting me and calling me names for having a different outlook than them.

We can agree to disagree on what we expect from simracing companies. It's honestly going to be okay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Quick question:

I noticed that I have to fasten both hinge-point bolts of the brake pedal every so often.
Is that perfectly normal because they are not glued in? Should I use a lick of Loctite to do so?

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 355 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years