Have Your Say: Who Should McLaren Use to Replace Alonso at Monaco?

No votes for Lando Norris? Recently signed on as a junior driver for McLaren, would be insane if he got a drive. 99.9% certain he will not even be considered but I would absolutely love it.

Most likely will be Button. The guy is a class act both on and off the track. It's the obvious choice and it also seems like the best choice.
Will wait and see how things go. Do not worry!

No votes for Lando Norris? Recently signed on as a junior driver for McLaren, would be insane if he got a drive. 99.9% certain he will not even be considered but I would absolutely love it.

Most likely will be Button. The guy is a class act both on and off the track. It's the obvious choice and it also seems like the best choice.
Norris is good, but nowhere near qualified enough to race in F1. Personally I think a FE frontrunner will be suited to it.

Who's McLaren's current test driver?
These cars are so darn complex, that it'd have to be somebody who's already associated with the program ...who also holds a super-license.
You know there is serious frustration though, when FA takes a leave to drive anything else during the Monaco weekend.
Ironically, it's the one track where (if the car would stay reliable) he could score points, due to it's low speed characteristics.
EB had better watch out.
I think the ax will fall on his time at McLaren fairly soon.

He's not 18 Norr has he a super license
^^ see what i did there

I voted for Jenson. He's super fit as always training for triathlon or iron man events and also was racing last year. Still employed by McLaren and has the years behind him not to wrap the car round an armco.
Plus, he's a safe pair of hands, knows the team and track and pretty sure he could adapt to the new car having adapted to so many changes over the years.
But will he do it?
Hope we find out soon.

I voted for Jenson. He's super fit as always training for triathlon or iron man events and also was racing last year. Still employed by McLaren and has the years behind him not to wrap the car round an armco.
Plus, he's a safe pair of hands, knows the team and track and pretty sure he could adapt to the new car having adapted to so many changes over the years.
But will he do it?
Hope we find out soon.
Sounds very reasonable the way you lay it out. The logical choice.

Some poor chap who'll retire after 10 laps. Or Montoya (if he can fit in the car:p). Anyway it must be some young gun, may be he'll have some luck.

Screen-Shot-2015-09-21-at-04.00.23.png

"McLaren needs a driver? Díos mio, thought I'd sneak in here and take a peek."
Frankly I'd love to see him in the car. It's almost certainly going to be Jenson in the end, but given how slow and unmotivated he was last year, there's no guarantee that even someone like Pastor would be any worse than him right now.

Plus, Pastor's unironically great at Monaco when he's not crashing (2012) or being crashed into (2011).

It is just my opinion, but.. I'd like to see a talented-youth to compete in McLaren. I knew that they have the worst engine in F1.. But, once McLaren.. It is still McLaren, the same team that create a great drivers, such as James Hunt, Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost, Mika Hakkinen, and Lewis Hamilton... So, it will be a great experience for every non-F1 driver to drive a McLaren, in the most luxurious GP in Formula 1.

I will agree that talented drivers like Antonio Giovinazzi, Nyck de Vries, Oliver Turvey, or Pierre Gasly fill the seat. But, see another talent ! Charles Leclerc ? The Monegasque. GP3 Champion.. It's been a long time for us not seeing the Monegasque, race in Monaco GP (for F1). Nobuharu Matsushita ? He is 2016 McLaren-Honda developement driver... So, he has known how to control a Honda. Anyway, He is the winner of 2016 GP2 Series for Monaco GP. Last, Rio Haryanto or Felipe Nasr? Out-qualified Pascal Wehrlein 6 times in his 12 races...isn't an easy thing to do... He also got his best race finish in Monaco, last year (P15) it was a great job, the best asian driver now.. and F1 needs asia driver, even if it is just for 1 GP. And Nasr?? Everybody knows his skill, I guess.. but they had same problem.... financial? So, now or never.. this is the right time to see both of them again in F1.

It is just my opinion, but.. I'd like to see a talented-youth to compete in McLaren. I knew that they have the worst engine in F1.. But, once McLaren.. It is still McLaren, the same team that create a great drivers, such as James Hunt, Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost, Mika Hakkinen, and Lewis Hamilton... So, it will be a great experience for every non-F1 driver to drive a McLaren, in the most luxurious GP in Formula 1.

I will agree that talented drivers like Antonio Giovinazzi, Nyck de Vries, Oliver Turvey, or Pierre Gasly fill the seat. But, see another talent ! Charles Leclerc ? The Monegasque. GP3 Champion.. It's been a long time for us not seeing the Monegasque, race in Monaco GP (for F1). Nobuharu Matsushita ? He is 2016 McLaren-Honda developement driver... So, he has known how to control a Honda. Anyway, He is the winner of 2016 GP2 Series for Monaco GP. Last, Rio Haryanto or Felipe Nasr? Out-qualified Pascal Wehrlein 6 times in his 12 races...isn't an easy thing to do... He also got his best race finish in Monaco, last year (P15) it was a great job, the best asian driver now.. and F1 needs asia driver, even if it is just for 1 GP. And Nasr?? Everybody knows his skill, I guess.. but they had same problem.... financial? So, now or never.. this is the right time to see both of them again in F1.
Plenty of obvious problems with that - McLaren would never groom a Ferrari (Leclerc) young driver even for just a single race, Matsushita and Haryanto are mediocre at best, and while Nasr is better, the difference is not big enough to warrant considering him over a known quantity like Jenson, even though I do think Nasr was better than Jenson in 2016. Plus, given the strength requirements for this year's cars (you need only look at everything Stroll did in Australia, or his and Giovinazzi's head movements in these first two races - physically they still have some work to do), I'd imagine only Jenson is fit enough for the task right now seeing as his continued role with McLaren basically requires it.

Last edited:
I would like to see some new blood on the grid but will be strange... It's already strange don't see Jenson on the grid... Why don't give this opportunity to Lando Norris, Nyck de Vries or Nobuharu Matsushita I would like to know how the rookies feel about the McLaren chassis and Honda engine. But me being ignorant... Doesn't they need the super license? :O_o: Probably the best option will be Jenson because he have a lot of experience and Monaco it's a very difficult track... but with that McLaren, it will okay... the car isn't that much fast so it will be like driving a Mini in Monaco :D:D

But my main question is.... Rosberg doesn't have any contract with Mercedes soo he can drive for McLaren, right? :D:D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back