Have Your Say: Who Should McLaren Use to Replace Alonso at Monaco?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Who Should Replace Alonso at McLaren for Monaco.jpg

Following the shock announcement that Fernando Alonso will be unavailable for the Monaco Grand Prix whilst on IndyCar driving duties, who do you think would make the ideal replacement at McLaren Honda?

Despite the car and engine package not featuring amongst the very front of the current Grand Prix grid, a drive for 12 time World Drivers Champions McLaren at the jewel in the crown Formula One Monaco Grand Prix is still a major attraction for any racing driver.

Now Alonso has confirmed his commitment to compete for race honours in the 2017 Indy 500 in May, McLaren are left with something of a dilemma as to who will partner Formula One rookie Stoffel Vandoorne at the round the houses classic race.

McLaren are in a fortunate position as they have recently retired former Formula One Word Champion Jenson Button on it's driving strength, plus talented youngster Nyck de Vries and former A1 GP team Great Britain driver Oliver Turvey available to step in to the fold should they be required. However with nothing ever certain in Formula One the door could well be open to a surprise announcement before the entry list has to be confirmed ahead of the race on May 28th.

So, who do you think should step into the cockpit to replace Alonso at Monaco, and can the driver really be expected to perform at their best with such limited time to adjust to the new cars and regulations in play this season?

Let us know in the comments section below who you think should step in to the seat and why!

Last edited:
I voted for "other". I like to see a GP2 driver who knows how to get the maximum out of a GP2 engine.

In all honesty McLaren can also just retire for the rest of the season and start working on the 2018 car and secure a better engine deal elsewhere. It's getting beyond embarrassing now and that Alonso is making this move, and is allowed to make this move by McLaren says a lot.

The downfall of McLaren is really one of the worst sports achievements of the last few years in my opinion. How can a once such a mighty F1 team let this happen?

It can only be Jenson. I don't think McLaren have enough extra money to pay for the repair of broken cars after accidents newcomers. They have more serious tasks to implement their finances...

Last edited:
No votes for Lando Norris? Recently signed on as a junior driver for McLaren, would be insane if he got a drive. 99.9% certain he will not even be considered but I would absolutely love it.

Most likely will be Button. The guy is a class act both on and off the track. It's the obvious choice and it also seems like the best choice.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back