GTR2 16th Anniversary PATCH Part-1

Misc GTR2 16th Anniversary PATCH Part-1 16.0.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
At the moment I cannot reproduce your issue on my side so I need to know more about what you did.
All HQ tracks are CTD or only specific ones ?
HQ tracks need base tracks so if you removed base tracks then HQ tracks will Crash To Desktop.
Check that all base track folders are present in GameData\Locations :
Anderstorp
Barcelona
Brno
etc...

Which options did you set in GTR2_SETUP ? Did you make a nude GTR2 ? GTR2 Nude is absolutely not recommended for people who do not know very well GTR2 files and folders : type S at this setup page to skip it.
Can you please make a zip archive of GTR233_SETUP_CONFIG (the small folder of 1Mo and not the big one of course) and upload it on google drive/microsoft drive/dropbox/mediafire to see your options and to try to reproduce your issue ?
Last important thing, when extracting my archives a windows popup will ask you to overwrite folders then a second one to overwrite files : you must tick box "apply to all" then click YES for both.
Maybe you installed a mod which broke my HQ tracks : try to re-install HQ Patch Part1+Part2 then re-run GTR2_SETUP.

edit: just tested all hq tracks on new clean install and no CTD on my side.

Last edited:
First thank you for your great work.

I can only partially install it. In the gtr233_setup_config, no files are written, all files have 0 bytes. In the folder I can write into the files with an editor.

GTR2 was installed in the "Program Files (X86) / Steam / SteamApps / Common / GTR2 folder" folder. I have uninstalled it and installed on another hard drive, without spaces, I have signed up as an administrator, write protection removed. That did not succeed. I give up.

First thank you for your great work.

I can only partially install it. In the gtr233_setup_config, no files are written, all files have 0 bytes. In the folder I can write into the files with an editor.

GTR2 was installed in the "Program Files (X86) / Steam / SteamApps / Common / GTR2 folder" folder. I have uninstalled it and installed on another hard drive, without spaces, I have signed up as an administrator, write protection removed. That did not succeed. I give up.
no do not give up, your issue comes from the default steamApps folder which is not compatible with HQ Patch : I wrote in install.txt to not use it (keep it always clean without mods) and to copy-paste only the GTR2 folder elsewhere, by example d:\GTR2HQ
Then extract all my archives inside d:\GTR2HQ and run GTR2_SETUP.CMD to set language and other options (SKIP GTR2 NUDE PAGE TO KEEP GTR2 CARS/TRACKS/SOUNDS WHICH ARE REQUIRED FOR 2005 MOD).

Thanks man for this great addition to GTR2.

I just installed in a clean GTR2 install but there´s no GTR2_SETUP.CMD? I can´t find it. Baffled.

What I´m doing wrong?

I just installed in a clean GTR2 install but there´s no GTR2_SETUP.CMD? I can´t find it. Baffled.

What I´m doing wrong?
Ignore. I used default Steam app folder. It runs now but... CTD when I try to use the controls menu or enter Race Weekend. Maybe something to do with wheel? It´s a G923.

Ignore. I used default Steam app folder. It runs now but... CTD when I try to use the controls menu or enter Race Weekend. Maybe something to do with wheel? It´s a G923.
if CTD then files are missing : you need to extract ALL files and folders from hq patch archives and when windows pop up is prompted you must tick box "apply to all others" then click "yes overwrite". You need to answer yes twice : folders then files. You might have copied gamedata folder only like other gtr2 mods but, with hq patch you will have CTD if you copy only gamedata folder, indeed you must extract and copy ALL folders and files from both archives part1+part2.

----------------------------------------------
| HOW TO INSTALL GTR2 HQ Anniversary PATCH |
----------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT :
-----------
- NEW CLEAN GTR2 INSTALL FROM DVD or STEAM + GTR2 HQ ANNIVERSARY PATCH (PART1+PART2) ARE FULLY WORKING ON WINDOWS XP/VISTA/7/8/10/11 !!!

- DO NOT INSTALL SIMBIN PATCH 1.1 / NOCD GTR2.EXE / 4GB PATCH BECAUSE YOU WILL BREAK GTR2 SETUP !!!

First you will need to install :
--------------------------------
- 7zip archiver to create/open archives : https://www.7-zip.org

Included in GTR2 HQ Anniversary Patch : GTR2_SETUP.CMD will install them automatically if required*
- Microsoft DirectX 9c June 2010
- Microsoft Visual C++ VC redist 2010 sp1 with MFC security update
- Microsoft Visual C++ VC redist 2015-2019

(*) a POP PUP will be prompted if install is required : you just need to click YES to allow install program in this case.

-------------------------------------------
| 1a) PRELIMINARY FOR DISC VERSION ONLY |
-------------------------------------------
- insert GTR2 DISC

- choose any language

- install GTR2 directly at the root of one of your drives like D:\GTR2HQ

- DO NOT SET 3D CONFIG : UNTICK 3D CONFIG BOX at the end of install !!!

- DO NOT RUN GTR2 YET !!!

- REMOVE GTR2 DISC and go to 2)

--------------------------------------------
| 1b) PRELIMINARY FOR STEAM VERSION ONLY |
--------------------------------------------
- Buy and install GTR2 from STEAM

- NEVER MODIFY ORIGINAL GTR2 STEAM INSTALL, KEEP IT ALWAYS CLEAN!!!

- Copy or make an archive (7z/zip/rar) of your clean GTR2 folder from STEAM\steamapps\common\GTR 2 - FIA GT Racing Game

- Copy or extract your clean GTR2 archive directly at the root of one of your drives like D:\GTR2HQ

- go to 2)

----------------------
| 2) GTR2 INSTALL |
----------------------
- download and install GTR2 HQ Anniversary PATCH part-1 (click YES to overwrite ALL files/folders and check "APPLY TO ALL") : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-hq-anniversary-patch-part-1.21415/

- download GTR2 HQ Anniversary PATCH part-2 and extract all files at same place : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-hq-anniversary-patch-part-2.32658/

- you can also add HQ 2005 FiaGT season : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-hq-2005-fiagt-mod.32765/

- right click on GTR2CONFIG.EXE >> left click PROPERTY >> COMPATIBILITY >> tick ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS box

- ONLY IF YOU DO NOT USE CrewChief plugin : right click on GTR2.EXE >> left click PROPERTY >> COMPATIBILITY >> tick ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS box

- use RadeonMod or Nvidia Profile Inspector (available in [OPTIONS]\f-[Windows TOOLS]) to set AA/AF (NVIDIA ONLY: set Antialiasing compatibility to Diablo III and select "replace/override application setting" for AA mode, you can also enable DSRX4).

Moreover on a LAPTOP you need to set both GTR2Config.EXE + GTR2.EXE to your GPU instead of poor integrated graphics.

- now run GTR2config.EXE (choose 32bits resolution, dx9) but Do NOT choose AA/AF here because the antialiasing/anisotropic settings in gtr2config are basic/outdated and doesn't manage advanced AA/AF that you have got with recent nvidia/AMD panel.
Turn off Vsync as FFB in GTR2 is tied to refresh rate (HIGHER FPS = BETTER FFB), moreover Vsync is never a good idea as you get lag.
Nevertheless, if you have +400 fps then you can get missed gear changes so try to limit the fps to 120 with nvidia/AMD panel.

- ONLY IF YOU DO NOT USE CrewChief plugin : install Bill's process manager or Bitsum Process Lasso, and set GTR2.EXE "CPU AFFINITY" to use at least 2 cores of your CPU. You can also do it manually each time after launching GTR2 by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC then click on PROCESSUS tab, right click on GTR2.EXE and set AFFINITY to ALL CORES.

- RUN GTR2_SETUP.CMD
>> page I choose language
>> page II choose HUD
>> page V choose binary (NOCD IS SET BY DEFAULT)
>> page VII choose FOV (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
>> page VIII choose PLR* FFB (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
(*) you can rename later "PLAYER.PLR" file in "GTR2\UserData\PLAYER" then "PLAYER" folder in "GTR2\UserData" with same NAME of your choice
>> set other options as you like or skip them with S key

- ONLY IF YOU DO NOT USE CrewChief plugin : right click on GTR2.EXE >> left click PROPERTY >> COMPATIBILITY >> tick ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS box

- from now you can run GTR2.EXE

---------------------------------------
| 3) Power & Glory 3 (PnG3) INSTALL |
---------------------------------------
note: since I have made the GTR2_SETUP.CMD the install order GTR2>>HQ PATCH>>PnG3 or GTR2>>PnG3>>HQ PATCH is no more important. Indeed SETUP allows you to install GTR2 or PnG3 UI and other options afterward so you will have the same content in the end. The only small issue if you do GTR2>>HQ PATCH>>PnG3 is that PnG3 installer will detect modified files from HQ Patch but that's not a problem, just ignore these messages.

- follow STEP 1a) or 1b), then 2) to create a clean GTR2 install in D:\PnG3 by example

- you must run GTR2 at least once before installing PnG3 MOD

- download and install PnG3 mod : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/power-glory-for-gtr-2.21450/

- RUN GTR2_SETUP.CMD
>> page I choose language
>> page II choose #9 HUD PnG3 Anniversary
>> page V choose binary (NOCD IS SET BY DEFAULT)
>> page VII choose FOV (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
>> page VIII choose PLR* FFB (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
(*) you can rename later "PLAYER.PLR" file in "GTR2\UserData\PLAYER" and "PLAYER" folder in "GTR2\UserData" with same NAME of your choice
>> page XI choose UI PnG3 (adds driving school line in menu plus many tweaks in garage)
>> page XIV you can type #1 to remove safely all modern GTR2 cars which are not required for PnG3 mod
>> page XV choose #1 OR #2 PnG3 HQ Anniversary if you want moving wipers and important fixes
>> page XXX choose #4 PnG3 Driving School cars

- from now you can run GTR2.EXE safely

--------------------------------------
| 4) CrewChief plugin (CC) INSTALL |
--------------------------------------
- visit thecrewchief.org to download CC app called "CrewChiefV4.msi"
- install CrewChiefV4.msi in DEFAULT PATH (DO NOT CHANGE IT!)
- run GTR2_SETUP.CMD :
>> page V you MUST set #2 GTR2 DIGITAL EXE
>> page VI select either #4 to copy CC files in your GTR2 without openvr_api.dll, or #5 if you want to use openvr_api.dll
>> page VII you MUST update FOV
>> page VIII you MUST update PLR
>> page XVI you can enable specific wiper animation for CrewChief
Now you can exit setup with "X" key

- check that GTR2.EXE has ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS DISABLED (right mouse click on GTR2.EXE, PROPERTY, COMPATIBILITY TAB)
- check that GTR2config.EXE has ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS ENABLED (right mouse click on GTR2.EXE, PROPERTY, COMPATIBILITY TAB)
- now your GTR2/PnG3 install is READY FOR CREWCHIEF

---------------
| UNINSTALL |
---------------
Just delete folder D:\GTR2HQ or D:\PnG3

Last edited:
I noticed interesting mismatch between stock and HQ 04 Championships. I took BMW M3 and in HQ championship it has class as G2, whereas in stock version it is GT class. That's an issue, because it makes my car single entry in the class. I fixed it locally, bu I am curious what was the reasoning, goal for this? Crew Chief is multiclass aware, so this was breaking the experience.

This patch is installed, but windowing cannot be realized. Every time after setting windowing through GTR2Config.exe, running GTR2.exe returns to full screen.

did you set Administrator rights to gtr2config.exe ?
Check with right mouse click on exe then left click on property, then left click on compatibility tab and you must tick the box "administrator".

What I´m doing wrong?
All is working now as it should. I did a mistake on my part not using a 100% CLEAN install. Thank you again for your work.

Thanks for keeping GTR2 alive with these awesome updates.

Was this stock AI bug ever addressed? Would help with endurance races.
Full RaceDepartment Thread
I believe I have figured out the source of my problem. First, for the user car if you want to have the AI driver two take a stint and be able to execute a pittstop without getting a dnf it appears as though you can't have the car take on a full fuel load as per the pittstop settings in the .HDC file. As long as this is set to some number that is less than the full fuel capacity the car will pit and exit the pits as it should. If you want to have the car full of fuel you can adjust it during the pit stop to take a full fuel load and there will be no problem. That has been my experience with this particular problem anyway. The other problem that can crop up with other AI cars is when you have the pitcrew detail level set to full for all cars. This will cause MANY AI cars to pit and then never leave. The solution to this problem is to set the pitcrew detail level to Player car only. With these changes made, I have now simmed 4 different full 24 hr races at 4 different tracks and had ZERO problems with cars pitting and never leaving. Thanks go all who chimed in to try to help out. It has been much appreciated. Now off to do some more racing!!!!

Also can I install Power & Glory on top of this, and race on the HQ tracks?

Cheers

I bought gtr2 dvd in 2006 and started to fix this game since the beginning then started to make this patch in 2015 : tons of fixes are included in HQ 2022 game today but stock game is still available and remain unmodified of course.
The cars not pitting is a bug often meet in third party mods/tracks because of bad or wrong settings : to be clear my patch fixes stock gtr2 cars and tracks when you select hq 2022 cars and tracks BUT my patch WILL NOT fix extra third party mods and tracks you add.
Moreover with gtr2_setup.cmd you can modify AI for hq cars and tracks so if you change hq 2022 by hq stock vanilla ai and physics then you will have only fixes for graphics (same as hq 2022) but physics and ai will be stock.

Hi @GTR233 , is there a way to run GTR2 in proper fullscreen? I've noticed I'm getting tiny but annoying stutters in GTR2 (for a long time I thought I was just imagining but I tested it with MSI Afterburner). In Race 07 I can't alt tab from the game and the MSI overlay doesn't display properly (I could see the graph with framerate and frametime though lol) but the game is butter smooth at 120fps. I'm guessing GTR2 is running in borderless window while Race 07 is just regular full screen. I'm using Digital exe.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea