GTR2 16th Anniversary PATCH Part-1

Misc GTR2 16th Anniversary PATCH Part-1 16.0.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
I do not have such issues on my end so I do not know honestly. I recall that some plugins can bring such issues : few years ago ENBseries was included because it gives the best image IMO but drawback is that ALT-TAB is broken and fps are no more smooth.
About borderless I suggest you to ask either to @Shovas or @Bjarne Hansen as they both use a tiny soft which I do not recall the exact name (borderless gaming or something like that).
Moreover GTR2 engine is old and does not like the recent high polygons conversions from rf2/AC : these games can use 16Gb RAM but not GTR2 so these high polygons cars can make image stuttering and can lead to freeze or even CTD at some point so in this case try to reduce grid to only few opponents (10-20).

I use only HQ cars and tracks from the patch and 2005 pack and my PC should do fine in GTR2. I'll try to find what causes those stutters. The only plugin I have is Crew Chief.

@PiotrGT Note that there's a bug with DXVK startup that I still can't understand (on very first run it gets stuck in single video mode). However, manual explains how to work it around and once you get it to run, on modern hardware you'll have better framerate and better image quality, so don't give up :) Workaround requires registry edit, but I can share a script with you if you want.

Last edited:
Still getting some small stutter. It seems to run a bit better in 60hz. (I'm using single monitor) Maybe my 1660ti is too weak to run GTR2 with all the enhancements in 4k 120fps? Could be since running practice alone is smooth. I enabled High Performance in both System and GPU settings, and all the CPU cores are activated. In Race 07 my FPS might drop from 120 to around 90 at the start of the race but I don't feel it thanks to GSYNC but in GTR2 it drops like one or two frames and it's noticeable. I'll try 1440p and update the post with results.

In 1440p it's pretty much the same, just looking much worse (lots of aliasing, I'm using DSR 4k to eliminate this). Resolution shouldn't be a problem though on my GPU so it's not surprising.

Last edited:
Still getting some small stutter. It seems to run a bit better in 60hz. (I'm using single monitor) Maybe my 1660ti is too weak to run GTR2 with all the enhancements in 4k 120fps? Could be since running practice alone is smooth. I enabled High Performance in both System and GPU settings, and all the CPU cores are activated. In Race 07 my FPS might drop from 120 to around 90 at the start of the race but I don't feel it thanks to GSYNC but in GTR2 it drops like one or two frames and it's noticeable. I'll try 1440p and update the post with results.
Is that with DXVK? Also, make sure to set full affinity in plugin settings, the beauty of DXVK it loves modern hardware and multicore.

Now, GTR2 has performance problems that no hardware can fix (but, DXVK loves multicore, so once we move to 16, 32, 64 core CPUs it'll keep speeding up, while DX9 will not). I always run medium shadows, medium headlights and with some content opponent detail medium (and that is with 3090/10900K). Plugin has some settings to speed up rain. In general, checkout notes on performance section in the manual, it is in VR part, but same things apply to 2D.

Are you running 4Gb patch? Keep GTR2 RAM use under 3Gb, performance drops sharply after 3Gb.

GTR2 is CPU bound. The reason it runs well in practice is there are no cars/shadows to render.

Last edited:
I think I found something. I tried running the game with original GFX Shader instead of GFX170a and the performance was better. No doubt @Bjarne Hansen did great work on it but in my case this is what helped. It helps some tracks like Targa Florio but since I'm using only the Anniversary content with 2005 addon (so mostly enhanced original tracks) I didn't encounter any bugs so far.

Edit: It seems that while performance is better it's still not perfectly smooth. I tried DXVK as well, I put files in game's main folder, run GTR2 config and launched the game but some textures looked a bit weird.

Last edited:
The FPS is general over 100 for example, and it seems stutter.
This my experience also,
only reducing shadow to med is a solution ?
Seems a bandwith problem from the software ?

try to use the DXVK option of the crewchief plugin. It should stabilize the fps on modern GPUs a lot. Give it a try.
Thank you Retrolux,
make it sense for an Dual-Core Intel from 2010 with TI750 2GB and 64bit win7 ?
Now i am search for the newest crewchief plugin, havent install it till today,
best greetings from the high-modern Germany with DSL 863 kbit/sec in 2022,
Mike

Last edited:
Thank you Retrolux,
make it sense for an Dual-Core Intel from 2010 with TI750 2GB and 64bit win7 ?
Now i am search for the newest crewchief plugin, havent install it till today,
best greetings from the high-modern Germany with DSL 863 kbit/sec in 2022,
Mike
Mike,

I am the one who wired DXVK to GTR2 via CC plugin (Retrolux encouraged me and helped testing) so I'll answer this. Unfortunately, answer is no, with your hardware DXVK is useless and will likely not even run. It is useful primarily on newest hardware, especially on most modern CPUs with many cores and threads.

However, currently, you do not lose much by staying on DX9 - right now, biggest benefits of DXVK is in VR. That might change in the future as I'll keep developing DXVK fork for GTR2 with further image quality and framerate improvements.

Last edited:
This mod works fantastic with a standard GT2 install but a bit dodgy with PnG3.2.

In PnG 3.2,when i went to the garage,all the icons were messed up.

But I did have the 1967 wscc mod and the Lemans addon installed.

I can't seem to go to the garage with those mods installed without seeing a mess of icons all over the place.

With the HQ mod,the tracks load to halfway then crash.

They work in a PnG 3.2 vanilla install but then the garage is messed up.

I think it's when i tick the in car hud.

I see GP Laps has the incar hud working without any issues.

Is that a HQ in car hud Gp Laps uses?

I have given up at this stage after about 6 install tries lol.

I still have the normal GTR2HQ which runs great!

HQ mod does not like PnG though especially with other mods installed like the Le Mans mod.

Last edited:
I have made HQ Patch to make it fully work with both stock GTR2 and PnG3...but not such extra mods which modify menus and important files : indeed they will run in conflict and give bugs or CTD or both.
When you download a mod, before extracting in GTR2HQ folder, you must always extract it in temporary folder on desktop to check which files will be overwritten :
- for a track, If you have only
GameData\Locations\TRACKNAME
and nothing else then it is OK
- for a car pack you can have
GameData\MODNAME.GDB for menu
GameData\Teams\MODNAME for cars
GameData\Sounds for car sounds
GameData\Championships for championships
and NOTHING ELSE!

If you see UIData folder then DELETE IT before copying mod in GTR2HQ folder!
If you see GameData\STEX.GTR then DELETE IT because it will break mine!
If you see GameData\Locations\Shared\TEAMMAPS2.GTR then delete it too!

I have never tested the LeMans66 mod you mention but I guess it breaks HQ Patch by overwriting important files or folders such as described above so it is incompatible like less than 10% of mods.
The great majority of gtr2 mods available at esport-racing are compatible as I tested quite all of them and this is the biggest resource today.

Nevertheless you can try to overwrite your GTR2HQ folder with GTR2 HQ Ann. Patch Part1 only but you will have to reset your favorite options via GTR2_SETUP.CMD : you will certainly see double settings at some pages like
option 2 is set at the moment
option 5 is set at the moment
in this case simply reset #2 or#5 or any other option and next time things will display correctly with only 1 line like
option 2 is set at the moment

Last edited:
Not even needed to extract somewhere else, just open the zip file before anything else.
With 7zip all files can be seen without extracting them.

@GTR233 I don't know how it was in the original game (without the patch) but lately I've been doing 2003 championship in HQ cars in NGT Ferrari 360 and noticed that so far (after few rounds, I'm currently at Spa 24h which I'm going to do soon shortened to 3h) Ferrari are pretty much always outperforming Porsche.

The results in both quali and race are clearly segmented, and I'm pretty much only battling other Ferrari in front.

I checked out the actual races, including the same ones I played through and Porsche has won many races - namely Freisinger Motorsport which has won the NGT championship.

Is the way it is by design, or do they need balancing? I always do time acceleration for quali sessions and my regular races are 25 minutes long (14% distance). I'm using HQ 2022 physics.

EDIT: It has nothing to do with the Patch but I unfortunately I accidently corrupted the Spa 24h. I skipped first session thinking it was Practice but I've noticed AI had times set. I left the weekend thinking I could restart it by re entering but it has skipped the session. It was now on Warm-Up and when I left again to look for a fix the race became 24 hours and completely broken with my car starting from 76 position somewhere out of the track and all AI cars crashing at the start. What a mess. Wish there was a way to roll back the race. :(

After skipping Spa 24h all races are now 100% distance and I don't feel like doing 3 hours for each one. I guess I'll move on. Too bad because I had so much fun with this championship!

Last edited:
hi, cars specs can be easily modified in ENG files : increase or decrease torque value at each RPM line.
In HQ2022 physics I set real power for each car. But keep in mind that AI follows what Talent RCD files tell them to do in term of speed : maybe try different combos with the different AI Talents available in setup : by default in HQ Patch it is stock talents and not HQ ones, but you can also try Shovas ones too.

It is rare but sometimes it also happened to me when I restored a championship (AI cars going crazy by jumping everywhere) : when it happens while on track just hit ESC key then choose RESTART SESSION, press ENTER and all things will work good again. Maybe a random memory fault somewhere during save/restore process.

Last edited:
I feel like such an idiot, and I have cluelessly been redoing the installation of this anniversary patch about 4 times already, but I give in despite my pride and am hereby asking for help. Now, I'm 100% sure that the problem lies with me, but I can't figure it out. So please, if I have missed an apparent step then I sincerely apologize. Now to my actual problem:

I've followed all the steps in the installation guide, but whenever I try to run GTR2_SETUP.CMD and choose any of the options, I get errors like “The system cannot find the path specified” or “File not found - *.*” etc. I have made sure to put the files from the part 2 folders into my “fresh game folder” of GTR2 that I put at the root of my drive. How can I fix this issue? Has anyone encountered a similar issue before? I’d like any help I can get and will gladly follow up with more information for troubleshooting. Cheers!

I feel like such an idiot, and I have cluelessly been redoing the installation of this anniversary patch about 4 times already, but I give in despite my pride and am hereby asking for help. Now, I'm 100% sure that the problem lies with me, but I can't figure it out. So please, if I have missed an apparent step then I sincerely apologize. Now to my actual problem:

I've followed all the steps in the installation guide, but whenever I try to run GTR2_SETUP.CMD and choose any of the options, I get errors like “The system cannot find the path specified” or “File not found - *.*” etc. I have made sure to put the files from the part 2 folders into my “fresh game folder” of GTR2 that I put at the root of my drive. How can I fix this issue? Has anyone encountered a similar issue before? I’d like any help I can get and will gladly follow up with more information for troubleshooting. Cheers!
if "file not found" message then tree path is not good.
The mod version is correct because it is been uploaded 3 months ago and 1000 members downloaded it (in the past it could happen that a fresh release was faulty but I did know that few days after release because many people complained :D ).

1) make a fresh gtr2 install in d:\games\GTR2HQ by example. Note that my GTR2_SETUP.CMD will not like deep/long windows tree path like the one with Steam.
If you install gtr2 in system drive/folder then you may need to run GTR2_SETUP.CMD as admin (right mouse click on it then left mouse click Run as Admin) in order to get permission to copy files (that is the reason I suggest to use D: drive which is rarely default system drive).

2) open a window to check that gtr2.exe is in d:\games\GTR2HQ
then extract GTR2 HQ PATCH part1 directly : hold right mouse click on hq patch 7z archive then move in window where you have gtr2.exe, then release right mouse click and left mouse click "Extract here", windows will ask you to overwrite Files so answer YES FOR ALL, then windows will ask you same question for Folders and answer YES FOR ALL. When finished you must do the same with Part2 7z archive.

3) double click on GTR2_SETUP.CMD and set options as you like.
As you are a gtr2 novice DO NOT MAKE A NUDE GTR2 : just type S to skip this page. Nude option will definitely remove some default content which can be useless with specific mods : by example if you want to make a gtr2 install with F1 MODS only then stock gtr2 cars/sounds will be never used so you can delete them definitely with nude option (the only way to get them back is to make a new install in this case).

HOW TO INSTALL THE 10TH ANIVERSARY PATCH DOWNLOADED PART 1 AND 2........NEW TO GTR 2 MODS
read the _install.txt file within archive. There is a copy of this file here (maybe not the very last version, the one inside archive is always the most up to date) :

HOW TO INSTALL THE 10TH ANIVERSARY PATCH DOWNLOADED PART 1 AND 2........NEW TO GTR 2 MODS
There are comprehensive instructions on how to install already in the download, look for the text files and you'll find it.
Also the setup CMD file is very clear and helpful.
:ninja: by Paul.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes