Right now we have a couple of options on the table regarding how we are going to do it. There are two ways we can go. We can either fully fund the project ourselves or we can get a publisher on board

Which I interpret as - we could either pay it ourselves or get a publisher, we have choices.

So where does it say we don't know where the money is going to come from?

Also as for the size of staff. Unreal as a base is ready, sharing stuff from R3E etc sounds like more than enough people are on the case atm to get the unreal stuff sorted, then get the content in and running.

Weird, I see no issue but maybe I'm stupid or something?

I am so happy now.

The games i enjoyed most where all the SimBim titles. No exception. Still kinda prefer them over AC and co.
From the new sims R3E is my favourite, so i was happy anyway to see SimBim back.

And now they seem to deliver nearly everything the other sims are lacking. At least it seems like the most complete package.
Just my notes from the article:

full weather adjustablity
day night cycle
much improved car damage over what is industry standard at the moment
new particle system
modern UI system.
improve on the physics found in RaceRoom Racing Experience
take over the best bits of the audio from RaceRoom
sharable code base, easy adaption of different styles (F1, GTL, WRC,...)
deliver an experience for hardcore sim racers (especially those!)
fully accurate representation of licensed series
full weekend structure, rules and regulations, types of class and individual driver strengths of that series, different weather attributes, day night cycles, animated pit stops everything you would expect from that series will be included.
online driver changes, driving school and even split screen mode for added fun.
we want to bring back the GTR franchise to where people expect it to be
only thing you'll need internet for is if you want to race online multiplayer
moddable liveries are on the to-do list (not on a high priority, but still way more promising than R3E)
will be a lot more visually compelling than the released screenshots
aquaplaning
water displacement that will affect the handling of the car
Puddle build up
rain on different parts of the tracks
as much variables in the weather as we can achieve

I mean: YEAH!
Can i pre-order?

I am so happy now.

The games i enjoyed most where all the SimBim titles. No exception. Still kinda prefer them over AC and co.
From the new sims R3E is my favourite, so i was happy anyway to see SimBim back.

And now they seem to deliver nearly everything the other sims are lacking. At least it seems like the most complete package.
Just my notes from the article:

full weather adjustablity
day night cycle
much improved car damage over what is industry standard at the moment
new particle system
modern UI system.
improve on the physics found in RaceRoom Racing Experience
take over the best bits of the audio from RaceRoom
sharable code base, easy adaption of different styles (F1, GTL, WRC,...)
deliver an experience for hardcore sim racers (especially those!)
fully accurate representation of licensed series
full weekend structure, rules and regulations, types of class and individual driver strengths of that series, different weather attributes, day night cycles, animated pit stops everything you would expect from that series will be included.
online driver changes, driving school and even split screen mode for added fun.
we want to bring back the GTR franchise to where people expect it to be
only thing you'll need internet for is if you want to race online multiplayer
moddable liveries are on the to-do list (not on a high priority, but still way more promising than R3E)
will be a lot more visually compelling than the released screenshots
aquaplaning
water displacement that will affect the handling of the car
Puddle build up
rain on different parts of the tracks
as much variables in the weather as we can achieve

I mean: YEAH!
Can i pre-order?
Never pre-order a game, even if its made by the best developer in the world.

Which I interpret as - we could either pay it ourselves or get a publisher, we have choices.

So where does it say we don't know where the money is going to come from?

Also as for the size of staff. Unreal as a base is ready, sharing stuff from R3E etc sounds like more than enough people are on the case atm to get the unreal stuff sorted, then get the content in and running.

Weird, I see no issue but maybe I'm stupid or something?

I interpret that as "we have a shoe string budget and are hoping to get a big publisher to help fund the development because we can't afford to do it alone....at least not with the current time frame". I see five openings at the studio right now. Let's see if more open and how long they take to get filled. That will be a good way to see how much budget is being invested.

CS: I think another thing to look at is, whilst the PC community would love this hard core simulation thing which is fine, as Allan said there is a console community that aren't going to adhere to that so we have to explore both avenues. I'll tell you a game that does really well is Formula One. I can have fantastic fun in the simulator on PC and I can have just as much fun on a console. They do it really well. I'm not saying for one minute that’s our approach or that's something we are going to follow I'm just saying that they've done a decent job catering for both sides

Abandon ship....all is lost.

Agree. That's the line that got me the most worried. F1 2016 and simulation - talk about contradiction in terms.
The single most disappointing game regarding physics I ever tried (and unfortunately bought). I have given it several tries but I can't stand more than 2 minutes of driving before I quit the game - the handling is a worse experience than try to knit with boxing gloves . Don't get me wrong - I so much want Codies to succeed and give us a proper F1 game but I've lost all my confidence in them,
If SimBin wants something to compare with and aspire to, play AC, RRE, GTR2 and Automobilista instead of that poor excuse of a game.

:whistling:

drama-queen-i5291.jpg

Nice!
I would add something me and my friends quite liked back in the day with Grand Prix Series by Geoff Crammond!

- Hotseat multiplayer mode
Turn based multiplayer mode on the same PC/Console. Select: number of human players, number of turns per human player, then the engine will estimate how many minutes/laps the human players will drive before the AI will take place. Player 1 turn ended, 5 seconds countdown, then human player 2 will take the drive and so on, up to the max number of human drivers selected. Is the same for practice, qualifying and race.

And also...

- Custom Championships, custom grids based on RL Series.
With the possibility to select among the rules of the main motorsport Series (Blancpain, ADAC, WEC, DTM, BTCC, WTCC etc etc). Single licensed cars and cars under fake names/liveries to cover a whole Series even when there's no full Series license acquired. This way modding can help filling the gap with skins, until the license of the real car or a Series has been acquired.

I'll be very happy if they manage to get all the things they are promising right. Regardless of having R3E/Codies physics, the other elements will add up to form an experience not available currently.

However, the direction of pleasing everyone is very sketchy. On a business standpoint it looks good, as a sim guy, it all depends on what compromises are made. Only time will tell if GTR3 will live to GTR3 hype.

With GT3 I think of endurance and with that i also think of: online driver change
Racing online together with 2 or 3 friends in a 3 - 6 or 12 hour race is real fun in my opinion, takes racing to another level because you have to do it together. So on number 1 is: online driver change.

I know these guys have a stellar reputation, but the diplomatic phrasing worries me. They constantly are talking about having "to be concerned with" the console community (cha-ching) but they realize that the average console user "is not as hard core when it comes to SIM racing" yet pCARS2, DiRT, and Assetto were directly marketed SIMs and well received. The way these guys speak in generalities has me wondering if the console version will be dumbed down ( I mean -- dumber than the hardware limitations but accessible to a PC player). In other words, will they leave out some SIM aspect (that isn't hardware limited) just because they have this attitude that console players can't handle SIM racing? The weekly cross-platform hot-lap challenge a casa Kunos proved that idea wrong, as does the huge success of DiRT and pCARS.

• ronniej

GTR3 sounds like it might be more in line to what we all want to see. Good luck, I look forward to the public release.
Actually, after playing rF2 today, ( I'm currently addicted to the Formula 1 1988 v0.93 mod ) I realized I don't mean what I said at all as far as my interest in what I'm looking for in a racing sim which sets me apart from the masses I suppose...I want a racing sim game to surpass or at least match the rF2 physics engine not a rehash of what already exists ages ago, as I already own most of the ISI spin-off games. ( along with most of the Formula 1 titles from Codemasters) I'm personally not looking for a prettier version of R3E or F1 2016 physics, I want the next level of "on the edge awe"

I want to support the Stefano Casillo and ISI's of the coding world now. Maybe @Paul Jeffrey RD can do an article about what/when the physics gurus think the next big break through will be or whats next on the horizon.

That's when I hope the VR and hardware planets align so I can make my next big system upgrade. ( I hope AMD has a winner with Ryzen and Vega so the silicon superpowers can do battle and bring us the juice we need)

Without any core driving physics simulation engine designers or programmers this will just be another yawn-worthy arcade title - UR4 engine will make sure it looks pretty but beyond that, it will be arcade.

As many stones as I throw at the AC folks, the reality is that they created a driving simulation engine - GTR3 is not even being based on a driving physics simulation engine.

• Deleted member 130869

The time-line looks tight for having to build all tracks and cars of a series without already knowing the license, and getting all of the other promises implemented and functional. Something based on full Group 5 or GTO field would be nice as some of those assets already exist in R3E, or even Group C, but the growing series of disappointment of all big racing sims since 2006 and especially the current "big 4" games make me hold off the hype.

I want this to be realized as planned and be successful as such design deserves. Good luck and may the team pull it off. Always available for support on the background and other areas.

Thanks for the excellent article as always @Paul Jeffrey very interesting reading.

It's still very early days yet but reading the interview the pieces are in place for an excellent piece of software.

Like some others on here I still enjoy GTR2, due to it's age you can run everything on max at 4k with 40 odd cars and it still looks pretty good. That of course and the fondness I still have for those GT1's :)

I would imagine the licence will probably be Blancpain, it's the biggest series of GT racing at the moment and has the most variety. The other possibility is if they tie in with SRO (which I admit is kind of the same thing). If they do that then other championships will also fall under that banner. Intercontinental Championship, etc.

Historically the games were based around GT racing so although WEC may be planned I can't see it being in the title from release. Maybe later on :)

Their approach seems pretty solid. Rather than try and create something from scratch (which is much more expensive and time consuming technically) use solid foundations that they have available now. Make them better and use them for the game.

If they tie in with a publisher that publisher will want a console version, that's where the big money is. It's as simple as that. The PC market is much bigger than it was but the consoles still bring in the money. SimBin are not silly they know their audience and know what a "proper sim" is supposed to be like. So I'll reserve any sort of judgment on that till later on.

On paper (screen?!) this all looks pretty good so far, looking forward to GTR3 :)

Without any core driving physics simulation engine designers or programmers this will just be another yawn-worthy arcade title - UR4 engine will make sure it looks pretty but beyond that, it will be arcade.

As many stones as I throw at the AC folks, the reality is that they created a driving simulation engine - GTR3 is not even being based on a driving physics simulation engine.

GTR3 won't be using the UE4 physics engine, far to basic for vehicle simulation. They did touch on it in the interview, it'll be a next generation physics engine (apparently). Anything more than that is an unknown at this point though.
It definitely won't be an arcade racer, that's for sure.

I assume that the physics engine will be a development of the work that has already been done for Raceroom. Unreal 4 will be used as the graphics engine.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.