"-unsure of funding path" - looks like they do not need, but they are observing all options...
"-preference towards console / preference to go less hardcore and appeal to masses"
Where did you read that? There is no such indication of what you are saying.
They want to aim for HC racers and make a way to appeal also for console racers and newbies.
Both sides should be fully satisfied. Next: They want to take the best from R3E (physics included) then improve it on the new engine which will be optimized for both, HC simulation with no assists and also for assisted driving, optimized for gamepads and consoles in general.
There is no reason to cut something off from the PC version or make any compromises. They wish to improve the Unreal engine for PC racing purposes and also make it usable for consoles and/or casual racers. Like Assetto Corsa, but making both from scratch, on a great engine, with doors openned for full weather system and day/night cycles. And hopefuly overal feel like we had in GTR when it came out.

"We can either fully fund the project ourselves or we can get a publisher on board, and that is where we are at today. So we put a budget in place, Allan has that budget and he's using it month after month and with more people joining the company over the next eight weeks we need to get to that point first and that's our target right now."

Alright, PRC cap on. Let me get this straight:

You need to pay people to work on the game, and you need to pay for licenses to both content, as well as the Unreal engine itself. SimBin UK have came out and said they don't even know who will be putting down the $$$ for this. This is red flag #1.

SimBin UK are also still still in the process of hiring staff members, and will be doing so through March of 2017, so there's not even much of a team together as of yet. This is red flag #2.

How do you announce a game without even knowing how it will be funded, and admitting your next two months will be spent looking for staff members to work for your company?

Is this not super sketchy?

Ok, so it looks like visuals, physics and sounds gonna be good plus day/night and different weather conditions all that sounds great but... what about music guys? GTR series used to have fantastic soundtracks.

Honestly yeah, it's a bit worrying. I imagine a bit of leeway is given by KW as whatever Simbin UK comes up with could be rolled into Raceroom if it's a dud. But eh, I doubt those are details that'll be shared until there's something solid. Considering how much Forza has been raking in over the years I'm sure there's publishers out there who would be interested.

Hi I am one of those simdrivers. I have been driving GTR2 online since the day it was realesed and I can say that I know the history of GTR2 and Simbin. In online racing I started out with Racedriver 1 from Codemasters and went on to Racedriver 2 & 3. Then to GTR1 and from there I have been only racing GTR2 all these following years untill now. Why? Because GTR2 represents and still do the best physics and real driving experience for GTR cars. How do I know that? Hey guys I had a real GTR driver as teammate driving GTR2. Fernando Rees. Look him up and you will find that he drive the real Lemans series. He said that GTR2 is the closest he could find to the real thing. Its just a few years ago. Now he is busy drivng for real but his words says it all.
I have been driving different leagues all those years and all had the same idea..Ok here it comes..I just wrote a statement about GTR3 at my current league forum, the United Racers League:
I like the fact that its going to be a standalone game with internet multiple option. I mean you just have pay for it 1 time and thats it. No internet paying moneymachine sjit going on forever.
Also that they will implement the real racerules etc and doing like GTR2, having the real proper sim option. Thats for sure what we want. They also do know the history of the GTR2 and they dont want to mess that up. About modding..Someone go and tell them that we want modding..heh.. Ok they have exceptions about livery due to sponsors etc..never mind that. Its not a big deal however we want to change a little physics on the cars so we can match them to each other. Also bringing new mod-cars into the game is a good thing. And of cause modded tracks is a must. I mean, what we are looking for is really like GTR2 just with better graphics, great physics and especially better internet code. I like the new features with the weather. Seems like a good idea.

Last edited:

You need to pay people to work on the game, and you need to pay for licenses to both content, as well as the Unreal engine itself. SimBin UK have came out and said they don't even know who will be putting down the $$$ for this. This is red flag #1.

SimBin UK are also still still in the process of hiring staff members, and will be doing so through March of 2017, so there's not even much of a team together as of yet. This is red flag #2.

How do you announce a game without even knowing how it will be funded, and admitting your next two months will be spent looking for staff members to work for your company?

As the heading suggests and name provided , yes it's Chris Speed of Sector3. How do you announce a game that is not fully funded? Well being a developer or 15 years experience do you honestly think this is some viral marketing to secure funding? I think not.

Next 2 months looking for staff? Well we have an abundance of staff ready and available to work and currently working on the title.As we said we need to get to a certain point in development before we make a judgement call on how we proceed. Very normal procedure in the industry to be fair.

Regarding PRC and everything else and comments, as we said people have expectations and we fully understand and apreciatte them, we are extensively researching and playing previous GTR titles to ensure we are captivating the GTR experience for everyone, not just console players but you sim racers too. We know what to do and we are going to do it!!!

Lastly I'd like to reach out to Paul and the race department team who seeem to have a very neutral perspective on sim racing in general. They are not being bought into money, not being sponsored to run NASCAR from the competition which is essentially being given a back hander in my eyes but yet they remain on point and to the point that each and every developer deserves. Tip my hat to Bram and Paul for such a neutral and non biast website.

I love all articles being posted from a pure sim racer perspective.

Keep up the good work guys!

Fellow Chris, Chris to Chris, don't go down this path. Learn from your fellow devs. :p

Looking forward to seeing what you guys show next by the way.

What they have actually said is, they don't know whether they will fund it themselves or bring a publisher on-board but either way, it will be happening, so funding is there one way or another.
Unreal Engine 4 is actually free to use, anyone can go and download it, create something and it won't cost them a penny. It then cost "royalties" essentially after the first $3,000, 5% on the gross revenue.

UE4 Pricing Source

They have 4 members of staff at the moment, another 3 starting in March and they are continuing to recruit, then there are the guys at Sector3 who are "shared resources". I'm not sure where your seeing the red flag from a personal perspective, Sector3 don't have many more people working for them and they do a great job.

I don't think so, it's refreshing for a developer to be this open about what they are doing and long may it continue. They can look for staff members for the next 3 years and it wouldn't be a bad thing, actually if you look at it in terms of, they are expanding and increasing their staff, you can see it as they are doing well enough to need to do so.

The article on it's own is a good read but it really doesn't give us anything conclusive to decide whether GTR3 is going to be great or a dud.
From what Chris and Allan say in the interview though, it sounds promising. We can't ask for more then that at the moment can we?

Edit:
Wish I was a faster typist. Wouldn't be repeating what everyone else had said if I was :D

Last edited:

Your quote states as the OP did that they have the budget in place... I'm confused as to why people think this is a red flag.?
Also they confirm they don't need to go the publisher route. Sounds like they have the funds in place to go it alone with the backing they already have.
You have to remember that both of these guys have been involved in very successful franchises over the years. It's not like Joe Public going to Elon Musk and asking for a few hundred thousand to open a coffee shop.
They know people in the business that they've been involved in for over a decade.
They worked on some critically acclaimed games over those years.
They also made the 2 racing sims that a lot of sim racers still hold in high regards even by today's standards.
Think peeps may need to chill a little until we get playable code and/or reviews from decent sources

You obviously know more than me my friend....... enlighten us.

Let's stay on topic here.

There's something incredibly sketchy about announcing a sequel to a very beloved franchise, only to reveal in the very first interview that you're not sure about funding and are still in the process of hiring staff members. It's like if I went on Facebook and told everybody I'd started a rock band and my first album was coming soon, but then followed it up by saying "yeah, we haven't decided on how we'll cover the recording costs, and we need to find a dummer and a lead guitarist. Oh, and a singer." Usually I'm in the minority when I make observations like this because it ruffles a few feathers and, well, it's me after all, but a couple people have already beaten me to it so I can't be that far off.

GTR 3 is supposedly in development. Okay, I'm jacked, I'm one of the vocal sim racers who have wanted a change back to these types of games, which is fantastic because I'm sick of this smorgasboard crap where there's a ton of content but nothing is ever really nailed. However, I read the first few responses, and it's like "okay, they're building a game, but they don't know how it will be funded, and they're still in the process of hiring people", and suddenly the guy shows up all flustered when multiple sim racers point out the obvious.

Let's stay on topic here.

There's something incredibly sketchy about announcing a sequel to a very beloved franchise, only to reveal in the very first interview that you're not sure about funding and are still in the process of hiring staff members. It's like if I went on Facebook and told everybody I'd started a rock band and my first album was coming soon, but then followed it up by saying "yeah, we haven't decided on how we'll cover the recording costs, and we need to find a dummer and a lead guitarist. Oh, and a singer." Usually I'm in the minority when I make observations like this because it ruffles a few feathers and, well, it's me after all, but a couple people have already beaten me to it so I can't be that far off.

GTR 3 is supposedly in development. Okay, I'm jacked, I'm one of the vocal sim racers who have wanted a change back to these types of games, which is fantastic because I'm sick of this smorgasboard crap where there's a ton of content but nothing is ever really nailed. However, I read the first few responses, and it's like "okay, they're building a game, but they don't know how it will be funded, and they're still in the process of hiring people", and suddenly the guy shows up all flustered when multiple sim racers point out the obvious.
Take the interview as you see it mate.

Words are there, people make conclusions and assumptions and that's it.

Proof is in the pudding as we say in England, let's see what he pudding brings.

I'll keep an eye out for your racing in NASCAR though as I do with every race weekend that comes up.

yeah, it is atleast bit weird that they start so 'slow' ... hmm, funding, maybe we, maybe a publisher...... staff .... hmm, yeah, 4 atm. no playable build .... hmm, yeah, 6 months later.

they don't sound very confident IMO. but in todays gaming-industry, maybe not really a suprise.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.