IMO they are simply fishing for investors.

The discord channel was probably just a way to show potential investors "hey look, we have a community of N people waiting for the game.".. "give us the tools and we'll finish the job" :p

The impression is that no actual development went into it apart from some borrowed asset imported into UE4 for a couple of screenshots.

It's a pretty standard practice in the world of gamedev although pretty rare to see in racing games.
hi Stefano, fair enough on your point, I was in the discord server and we have been told to wait for an upcoming "news bundle" that was supposed to be released at any moment to disclose everything about actual content,but as we all know nothing came of it. wether or not they have something else than r3e ports into ue4, this will remain forever a mistery

Last edited:
I wouldn't go that far. They're updating the game and they tweak the physics. That's not the same. Updating the engine itself is badly needed at this point, and I'm sure they are very much aware of the fact themselves, not just because people bring it up constantly, but also because they're severely limited in what they can do and have to resort to various workarounds. The game is frequently stretched to its limits, especially given that it can't really take advantage of modern systems. It's antiquated at this point, and the fact that it still offers as much as it does, looks as good as it does and offers the features it does is a testament to how good they are at making things work within the restrains they got.

There have been many tweaks and features/optimizations, but at its core, Raceroom is still a decade old game. It's not Raceroom 2 by any means.

Then again, it's hard to imagine where they could go next, especially since the originally talked about Unreal Engine seems like...not a great choice for racing games.

This is honestly the only reason I'm even mildly interested in GTR3 (besides laughing at the sheer unprofessionalism of it all) - what does it all mean for Raceroom, given that the original plan seemed to be to update Raceroom once GTR3 is done. That is unlikely to happen any time soon, if at all, so...what's next for Raceroom?
I see where you are coming from, but software is not like hardware. It is possible to completely recreate it bit by bit. Look at Assetto Corsa; it is basically entirely different internally from where it was at launch. In many ways, the current Assetto Corsa is actually "Assetto Corsa 5."

I think SimBin is in a really difficult position. The sim market is very crowded right now and they appear to be wanting to make a game that on the surface seems like it will be exactly the same as ACC: same cars, same series, same tracks. To me, the GTR series was all about the FIA GT1 & GT2 category that Stephane Ratel ran as a championship in the post-BPR era, which in today's guise is closest in form to GTE, which is run by the ACO, and GT3, which is still under Ratel's stewardship but licensed to ACC.

SimBin could focus on making a game based around GTE, however the ACO recently announced plans to create their own sim based on the European Le Mans Series and the Le Mans 24 Hour, so that category is tied up too.

With the market as it is, we have a bunch of games based around a wide range of categories (GTS, iRacing, Race Room, Assetto Corsa, rFactor) with a handful that focus closely on a narrow set of categories (ACC, F1, and the upcoming LM24h sim). So where is the best place for GTR3 to find it's market? What point of difference does it have that will attract players? And if it aims to fill the same slot as an existing game, will they be able to make it good enough that it is able to displace an already established title?
Maybe they should just do a true sequel to GTR2, focusing on 2000s cars with gt1s, gt2s and gt3 from that era. Only RSS covers this era with their GT and NGT packs for AC (which doesnt deliver the full endurance experience). Adding a BPR season would make it a must have (F40, Mclaren F1, Lotus, Mustang, Porsches...). I may be wrong, I don't know whether the GTO and GT1 cars are popular in Pcars2. Anyway, doing something that no other sim does would be a good idea.

I must admit that being able to play GTR2 in VR makes a GTR3 game less.appealing if it doesn't bring something new.on the table.

I wouldn't buy a GTR3 game anyways. Totally fed up with modern car sims and all the GT3 stuff (have ACC and removed it from SSD already, rF2 has only historic content and mods, same with AC, etc). My cup of tea are old cars, the ones that want to kill you and need to be driven properly, with clutch and manual gears, heel-and-toe and all the dance on the pedals. That being said, I recognize that I'm part of 0.032% preference on the simracing community nowadays (maybe lower?) but a GT Legends 2 title would be an instabuy for me! :) There's a HUGE void regarding classic/old cars on racing sim scene, and I'm waiting/hoping for some studio to fill in.

I totally agree. We are simracers, we should strive for maximum fun and more driving variables delivered to us, the players, while modern racing leans more towards the cars, aid systems and the teams. Modern racing is fascinating to watch, but in simple terms you drive "less". Even Hamilton acknowledged this in 2019 when he said if depended on him cars should be more manual and you should get exhausted by the end of a race like in the old times.

In a way it's the same for shooters that try to depict things in a more realistic way (given all the limitations in trying to depict war realistically). WW2 ones are often more engaging because it's all about the soldier (which is you), specially air combat for me.

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy a GTR3 game anyways. Totally fed up with modern car sims and all the GT3 stuff (have ACC and removed it from SSD already, rF2 has only historic content and mods, same with AC, etc). My cup of tea are old cars, the ones that want to kill you and need to be driven properly, with clutch and manual gears, heel-and-toe and all the dance on the pedals. That being said, I recognize that I'm part of 0.032% preference on the simracing community nowadays (maybe lower?) but a GT Legends 2 title would be an instabuy for me! :) There's a HUGE void regarding classic/old cars on racing sim scene, and I'm waiting/hoping for some studio to fill in.
Have you tried the Power & Glory Mod for GTR2 with the HD update? Lots of 60s and 70, cars and even a couple of 50s cars as well. Like you I love the older cars and spend a lot of time with that sim.

Have you tried the Power & Glory Mod for GTR2 with the HD update? Lots of 60s and 70, cars and even a couple of 50s cars as well. Like you I love the older cars and spend a lot of time with that sim.
Your comment got me intrigued about the HD part. is there a HD mod for P&G??
Lately I have focused on getting mods from 60's and 70's for AC and rF2, and haven't reinstalled P&G after my last Win reinstall, but this HD mod may be the push I need.

Your comment got me intrigued about the HD part. is there a HD mod for P&G??
Lately I have focused on getting mods from 60's and 70's for AC and rF2, and haven't reinstalled P&G after my last Win reinstall, but this HD mod may be the push I need.
Several people here have worked very hard to bring the P&G mod up to date, here's the link

Follow the instruction to the letter and then have fun.
P.S.
There is one issue on my computer, in that I can only run 22 AI on the track or the game crashes. Otherwise it's great.

Last edited:
Several people here have worked very hard to bring the P&G mod up to date, here's the link

Follow the instruction to the letter and then have fun.
P.S.
There is one issue on my computer, in that I can only run 22 AI on the track or the game crashes. Otherwise it's great.
Amazing! Thanks a lot for this heads up.

Amazing! Thanks a lot for this heads up.
Pcars2 has a lot of older stuff as well. I find the default FFB a bit bland but If you use this FFB mod its quite doable

Pcars2 has a lot of older stuff as well. I find the default FFB a bit bland but If you use this FFB mod its quite doable

Yep, I'm using this FFB mod, also (from another thread of the same author on Reiza's forum) some FFB mods for AMS2 as well.
PCars2 with this mod is really doable, and the old Le Mans content is among my favorites. :thumbsup:

1627889495822.png

Doing my monthly Simbin / GTR3 round up and I noticed the infamous Twitter account is now gone. Is this the end of the dream that we will ever see the successor of GTR2?

Well now on the map of the location of the Studio it is not the place in Liverpool anymore. It is now in Lidköping Sweden where the headquarter of Sector 3 Studios is. Also the little icon is now the icon of Sector 3.
And in this very moment if you go on the side it transfer you to the official Sector 3 Studios Side.

Last edited:
So I was right all along. I still can't belive Paul J actually posted that he had tested an early build of GTR 3.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back