I've been patiently watching and waiting on all these announcements of new "successor" sims, GTL2, GTR3 etc. and frankly I'm not going to start drinking the cool aid any time soon.

We've had promises down the years of a successor to both GTR2 and GTL, they've always fizzled out or what has been presented has turned out to be little more than a track day simulator with some random historic cars, and most of a single seasons GT3 cars chucked in to appease race fans, like the Gran Turismo or Forza series (in some cases founded on lies, of the title being the simulator that the sim community wants, to garner investment).

None of the current gen of sims even come close to the level of GTR2, with tons of options missing and uneditable, and the majority of cars being haphazardly put together into various classes with cars that in the real world wouldn't even be associated with each other, let alone the fact that the majority of cars are street cars.

Everyone raves about DLC such as PCars2's Spirit of LeMans, but taking the historic element as an example, you only get 2 cars, the Porsche 917K and Ferrari 512S - what about all the cars they raced against in period, Lola's, Healey Repco's, Matra's, Alfa Tipo's, Chevrons, the GT fields they raced alongside?

That's where the current gen of sims fall flat on their face and GTR2 shines, because you can field, for example, a full (or as near as) 1970 Le Mans grid, you can field full grids (bar a couple of cars being missing) for recent years also, personally I have almost full grids of 50+ cars for LeMans 1998, 1999, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016. I could have more if I were so inclined and if you know where to look you can get this years Le Mans grid, or most of it. And the amount of content is not just limited to full grids at Le Mans, so many series from the WEC to IMSA, to V8 Supercars and BTCC, and even historic F1, have been made available one way or another, although if anyone were to point out that not all are of great quality I would agree, but there is still a ton of phenomenal quality content out there.

All of what is available is so because there is and has been a thriving modding community, even though it is in decline these days (especially with the not so sad running down and demise of NoGrip). You can't get that kind of content for current gen sims, and I doubt you ever will, because apart from a handful of groups the modding community is just not there any more and I doubt that it ever will be. Not only that but modders today seem to treat their hobby as a source of income, rather than doing it simply because they love doing it and enjoy having others enjoy their work. And as a disclaimer of sorts I do know what goes into modding a game such as GTR2 as I've done it myself to some degree...

Given that in GTR2 I can tailor championships, race weekends, even the AI to my suiting, and given the shear deluge of content that is out there (even though some has been lost over the years) why would I want to bother with Assetto Corsa (or ACC) or Project Cars1/2?

Shiny new graphics? Sorry but that doesn't make up for a lack of content and a generic set of cars that seem to crop up in every title.

I highly doubt GTR3 will be any different, if it ever sees the light of day.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
We cannot pat the developers on their shoulders for doing nothing, or they will simply continue to go this route.

I'd be more worried about people paying unfinished DLC's, now that's encouraging developers. GTR3 being in development or not, not selling anything won't encourage anything.

Now if it's never released, it'll hardly be the first game to have this fate. There's actually a whole website dedicated to unreleased games, feel free to be offended there https://www.unseen64.net/

Something has been cooking at Simbin for years and years. It may of become a little dry and tough by now. Simbin cut the crap out and spill the beans instead of these pointless screen shots of nothing. I do hope they have a stunning game in the works as gtr2 and race07 were my go to games back in the day.

I have a feeling.
I think they were in silence cooking something special.
Just think about: ACC is a splinter in Simbin's eye.
We know that ACC won't support modding officially.
Simbin know well that modding is a nice, big marketing magnet.
I think they will give us a dev kit for modding and that's why they worked in silence.

Trackside object randomization.
Staff members, spectators, ambulance, ads changing positions from race to race.
Cars out of race to be taken away by truck or crane.
I want to talk to my engineer what does the car feel like and they would make the needed changes in setup.
In crew chief I can talk to the crew so I think it is technically possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sil
and again you can't make a single post without offending people. Here is another warning point to your account
mod-edit: content removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever has been "cooking" for the past 10 years, is probably overcooked by now and if anything, I'm thinking they've had to change game engines multiple times, hence the delays.

I was part of the GTR2 development team and I'm afraid none of them are working on GTR3. What impressed me originally when GTR3 was anounced was that the new Simbin seemed to appreciate what the GTR franchise was about, while everyone else seemed to be going for the generic multi-purpose racing sim.

However, following that initial GTR3 announcement, Kunos announced ACC. They too appreciate what GTR/GTR2 was all about, and they have the background experience which the new Simbin seem to be lacking. And they have the license for what is IMO the best current GT series. With the Unreal engine as well its hard to see how a new Simbin team could produce a better product.

So it seems to me Kunos have pulled the rug out from under GTR3. I am of course still very curious about what the new Simbin will do. Will they also license Blancpain or another series? I think if I was them I'd abandon GTR3 and go for GT Legends 2 but the car under that sheet looks modern to me.
Oh, yes please on the GT Legends 2!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea