GTR 2 VR Support! (Not asking, telling!)

Oh can I ask, is it ok to install retrolux reshade? Would it mess it up? Thankyou
Retrolux Reshade is primarily done for VR - I can strongly recommend it. First, I suggest backing game up, always, no matter what you do. Make sure you read the readme there. Also, remember that if you rename GTR2 folder, you need to re-apply "run as admin" to gtr2config.

Also, for racing stock GTR2 content in VR I highly recommend HQ Anniversary patch. GTR233 did huge work there and it has fixes for driver hands disappearing and wipers compatible with this plugin. One caveat though: HQ Anniversary defaults to CD version of GTR2, which does not support my plugin. The easiest way to apply HQ Anniversary patch is to back your working GTR2 up (so that you can go back if things go wrong), extract HQ Anniversary to some empty folder and delete all .exe and .dll files from it. Then, overwrite working GTR2 drop with cleaned HQ Anniversary should be safe and CC+VR should still work.

Last edited:
Objects popping out - this is explained in the manual, please see recommended VR tweaks section. You need to adjust defview.cam and increase the FOV (IIRC the value that defaults to 62.0, set it to 100.0 to begin with).

Last edited:
Have not used VR much the last few months so was positively surprised when I tried Gtr2 VR today.
The avx2 version works well. Do not know if it gives me less load but feels like it.
The fov changes for light and shadow flicker also works well
With a base WMR headset using FOV=105.
Near clip plane of 0.125 could go a little higher but see very little to none flicker.

Some issues with CC!
track/ ambient temp changes result in CC saying. Track temperature are now Celsius.
No reporting of the actual temperature.
Have not tried the none Avx2 version.

Have not used VR much the last few months so was positively surprised when I tried Gtr2 VR today.
The avx2 version works well. Do not know if it gives me less load but feels like it.
The fov changes for light and shadow flicker also works well
With a base WMR headset using FOV=105.
Near clip plane of 0.125 could go a little higher but see very little to none flicker.

Some issues with CC!
track/ ambient temp changes result in CC saying. Track temperature are now Celsius.
No reporting of the actual temperature.
Have not tried the none Avx2 version.
for audio issues - what audio output are you using, are you using nAudio or not? CC console output can be helpful here. I think it is most likely audio issue, not a data issue, although if game sends, say, negative temps, who knows - I never noticed that particular issue.

One gentle ask guys - going forward, for CC and GTR2 enhancement plugin issues/questions, please report them on our forum or even better - our Discord #gtr2 channel. Thanks.

Last edited:
No it was track temperatures but also notice the spotter was sometimes missing the left or right.
Using nAudio and other sims worked fine.
Just wanted to finished it here, will do the discord in the future.

No it was track temperatures but also notice the spotter was sometimes missing the left or right.
Using nAudio and other sims worked fine.
Just wanted to finished it here, will do the discord in the future.
To finish it from my side:
The reason I asked about nAudio, it is not the most reliable playback. Unticking nAudio enables the most reliable playback. Many people report issues with nAudio, although it works good for me.

The only thing I can think about spotter is to set scoringUpdateBoost to 0.0.
Next time, please include CC console log and collect a CC debug trace: https://thecrewchief.org/showthread.php?142-How-to-collect-Crew-Chief-repro-traces I need that to see why temps are not played back.

Also, in manual I update list of known issues/limitations - see if issues you notice is something being worked on or is by design.

Last edited:
Just a further question: the steam-GTR2 has the "grey cars" problem that involve not only the stock cars but mods too. The use of Anniversary pack seems incompatible with CC VR due to the gtr2.exe. Any suggestion to solve this problem?
Thanks
No HQ Anniversary patch is not incompatible, on the contrary hq patch enables features like moving wipers ON/OFF that you cannot have without hq patch.
If more people read INSTALL.TXT then 90% of questions here would not be asked here...
HQ ANN. PATCH is much bigger now so there are 2 parts to download : Power&Glory (png3) and CrewChief options are in part2, just run GTR2_SETUP.CMD and page V (5 in Roman) type #2 to install GTR2 DIGITAL GTR2.EXE version with all colored cars ;)
All that is clearly written in install.txt inside hq patch archive...but nobody reads it apparently...

Tried it but my performance is terrible....asw kicking in all the time even with gpu usage around 30%. 5900x/3080
After i changed the line "changeProcessAffinity = 0xFFFF" witch was at 0, this option work like a charm.
the one that made it possible is a genius !
If it is still stuttering (it shouldn't with a 3080) then try to use 3rd party software like bitsum process lasso to enable all cores (v8 pro is free on their website)

@GTR233..... I started a 24hr spa race using the 04HQ cars and track(lastest HQ Aniv patch), and have noticed the many of the Ai cars lights only partially work or are not on at all. I am around 5hrs in, so it is completely dark. Not sure if it's a bug that has creeped up or not. I just sucks to have quite a few cars that are completely dark that are hard to see come up behind you....

No it is not a bug, I did it intentionally because It is more realistic, indeed you never see in real race all drivers swithing on/off car lights at exactly same moment : during transitions some drivers have got lights on whereas others have got lights off.

Last edited:
No it is not a bug, I did it intentionally because It is more realistic, indeed you never see in real race all drivers swithing on/off car lights at exactly same moment : during transitions some drivers have got lights on whereas others have got lights off.
Can you share details how did you do it?

Also, if I understand correctly, eventually all cars will turn headlights on, right? Just not at the same moment? Thanks :)

Last edited:
Anyone getting the Power and the Glory add-on working with GTR2 and VR?

I get vanilla GTR2 working fine in VR (Quest 2). But once I install P&G, the game just doesn't run in VR, though it does in 2D.

It works but do not start P&G With the P&G launcher.
Locate the folder where you have P&G installed and start the Gtr2.exe directly.
You will have to run the Gtr2Config.exe a couple of time like in other Gtr2 installs. But then Gtr2 will work fine.

Anyone getting the Power and the Glory add-on working with GTR2 and VR?

I get vanilla GTR2 working fine in VR (Quest 2). But once I install P&G, the game just doesn't run in VR, though it does in 2D.
PnG3 installer will replace any gtr2.exe (steam digital or nocd or dvd) with nocd which is not compatible with crewchief plugin (I guess you are talking about CrewChief VR) so :
- either replace GTR2.EXE with original Steam version
- or, if you have HQ Anniversary Patch installed then run GTR2_SETUP.CMD and go page V (5) to install #2 Digital GTR2.EXE.
Moreover, it is also recommended to update FOV defviews page VII, SHO PLR page VIII, updated PnG3 UI page XI (because there is a memory leak in original DucFreak UI), HQ PnG3 Anniversary Patch page XV (to fix many small bugs and to enable animated wipers), and patched safety car mustang page XVII (there is a bug with original PnG3 Safety Car Mustang as you have a delay at start and first AI cars will hit it often).

Last edited:
PnG3 installer will replace any gtr2.exe (steam digital or nocd or dvd) with nocd which is not compatible with crewchief plugin (I guess you are talking about CrewChief VR) so :
- either replace GTR2.EXE with original Steam version
- or, if you have HQ Anniversary Patch installed then run GTR2_SETUP.CMD and go page V (5) to install #2 Digital GTR2.EXE.
Moreover, it is also recommended to update FOV defviews page VII, SHO PLR page VIII, updated PnG3 UI page XI (because there is a memory leak in original DucFreak UI), HQ PnG3 Anniversary Patch page XV (to fix many small bugs and to enable animated wipers), and patched safety car mustang page XVII (there is a bug with original PnG3 Safety Car Mustang as you have a delay at start and first AI cars will hit it often).

Thanks! I got it working, at least partially.

The problem now is that the 2D display spills into my 2nd monitor (no borderless window, apparently), which means in VR I cannot access the bottom part of my VR display.

I did set graphicsForceBorderlessWindow =1 in crewchief.ini.

I had this problem with vanilla GTR2. Changing that line fixed it.

I have run GTR config multiple times to set screen and clicked windowed.

Edit: Seems that if I choose a different resolution in windowed mode and start in VR all works well. Using my monitor resolution didn't work, as I had only partial access to the VR screen.

Mouse in VR acts funny at times but it appears to be working.

Thanks for the assistance on the Anniversary patch settings!

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies