GTR 2 VR Support! (Not asking, telling!)

Thank you @The Iron Wolf
Today I finally had some time, bought the game, installed, did the plugin folder and the lose .dll file in there and then started the game.
I configured some controls and went out of the game after driving a few meter to see it all worked.
The .ini file was indeed there, the line you said was too and I made it "1".
So, that was not that hard, but I managed to mess it up anyhow :)
I started the game in Steam and there was no choosing the VR version: I figured maybe it doesn't and it just starts in VR.
So I clicked "go" and this happened:

KnipselG.PNG

I checked and these are my files, do you happen to have a solution?

KnipselG2.PNG
KnipselG3.PNG

I am not sure how server works, but it's possible that it will take time to become available in your region. New file is 548KB. If you have CC application, you can find openvr.dll in it and also, many games use that .dll, as a workaround you could try using .dll from another game.

Also, consider joining CCGEP Discord (link in CrewChief.ini) - 5000x easier to share things than on forum.

Last edited:
Thanks mate, I'll wait until it shows up, no problem!
I took a file from another game, but they are all "opener_api.dll"
As the pop-up mentioned that, I took one of those to the game but now I click "play" and the button goes grey like it does then, but then shows up green saying "play" again and nothing happens.

Not sure if I keep the game; FFB doesn't work either, not even after reset: it may be to old altogether.

Sorry, I don't have discord, had some trouble with it in the past and still don't get it: in this case: I may be to old for that ;)

OpenXR VR with Vulkan at insane resolutions with ReShade depth based effects, DirectDrive FFB with modern steering rims and shifters, motion system, 8 tactile tranducers, 80 car grids - all works here no problem - so I guess game is fine, but it is not plug and play unfortunately - that I can't change.

Last edited:
Well, it may be to much for me. I got the .dll now (by downloading it on my MacBook) and used it and got the game working ONE time, giving me all kinds of errors, but it worked.
The game screen was way below me though, like in every other game, even when I center it with WMR.
But this one has no option to "Center VR".

Tried a lot with the wheel too; it is getting way to complicated already.
So I gave it a shot.
Thanks for your help mate!

Well, couldn't leave it alone.......got it working now!
Discord is going to be a problem, but I want to dive a bit deeper in it and some things don't add up. (For instance, there should be a folder in program files (x86) and there is not.)
So I got some more questions, is it a good idea to ask them on your forum, @The Iron Wolf ?

@Navigator - this plugin is shared as is, the only support I offer is this manual: https://thecrewchief.org/downloads/gtr2/GTR2_CC_EP.pdf it should answer 99% of questions about plugin itself (not GTR2 though - manual assumes user knows the game deeply). I do not enjoy answering same questions over and over - it is exhausting.

Depending on personality this may be helpful as well: https://www.simwiki.net/wiki/Modernizing_GTR2_with_the_Crew_Chief_GTR2_Enhancements_Plugin

Lastly, GTR2 has been around for 20 years soon, pretty much all general game questions are answered online. Same for satellite tools like ReShade, RealFeel, DXVK - just google.

Good luck!

Last edited:
@The Iron Wolf
Thanks for your response and your help mate.
I didn't want to be "intrusive" (if that is the right word). I got the manual and read it.
As you say: it is an older game and it results for me in more questions as not all info (as in the example I gave) is up to date, or doesn't seem to be.
I thought you had your own forum about the plugin: on my searches I thought I found that, so I thought I'd ask.

But I get you, no problem!
Can't be fun to keep getting the same questions over and over again :)
I see how far I get and for now: it works so I'm fine anyway.

Thanks again mate, for the plugin and your help!!

And I thank you very much for that!
Fact is: I did read a lot, but for me......it raises more questions ;)
Thats me, look at the simple method I used and how that worked out.......I may not be a computer wizard ;)

No, it's good like this, it works thanks to you and if I want "the extra's", I just have to dig deeper and figure it out. If it doesn't work, I have to dig even deeper: I am the one wanting the extra's then.

You made some proper piece of software, I have a lot of respect for that and it's time I just go and enjoy.
Thanks again mate, you're awesome!

Fact is: I did read a lot, but for me......it raises more questions ;)
thanks for your kind words.

Allow me a friendly advice, this^ what you say above happens to me when I read stuff without trying it and investing time to learn. GTR2 is huge game, and... I've been using it and related games for 10 years and still learning! If you are not deeply familiar with isiMotor games it's expected to seem complicated and confusing. The only way through is... going through process of learning, trying things, breaking things, fixing things. And now on top of that another layer to learn - my plugin.

So if game gives you joy or appears promising, give it time and effort ;) It can be shaped into a great experience - it keeps amazing me from time to time where I remove my HMD after the race and find myself saying - man this was wow. And I am not the only one who feels that way, but it takes time and effort.

Last edited:
If you want a basic install and go version: Can't remember for sure but for VR it's pretty much drop two Crew Chief files into the GTR2 plug-in folder (one is dll file and a config file) then the supplied d3d9.dll and openvr.dll into the root folder of GTR2.

Open the plug-in folder CC config file with notepad and then look for the enable VR bit and instead of 0 or False change to 1 or True to turn VR on. Also make sure hashing in front of line is removed - exit and save.
Now you will have to go to the default GTR2 video config and select and press its exe and put GTR2 into windowed mode with a small resolution of something like 1360x768 but do this process (GTR2 forgets video setting) three to four times (save&exit) because GTR2 forgets setting.
Now press the GTR2 VR.CMD and you should be in VR and if there is no VR.CMD press GTR2.exe instead OR you might have to start GTR2.exe with these VR enabled settings and you will CTD but the VR.CMD should be there then. Either way, you should be in GTR2 VR now we hope.

At this point you may have to align your seat position for your car using GTR2 in-game seat slider, or in the CAR files if sim' or you could try and use the CC seat position settings in plug-in CC config file but tbh I have never used and also alt&tab into steamvr and put super sample to about 125%.

BUT WAIT - you can make GTR2 look MUCH better in VR and on Monitor and more free FPS.. This is optional but I would HIGHLY advise using DXVK (Vulkan).

Download DXVK from CC and put the dxvk.dll and its config file into GTR2 root folder.
Select the dxvk conf file and look for anisotropic and be sure it says 16X.
Then look for setting about MSAA and make sure it says 4X.
Then look for up to 2 settings that say enable shader and make sure it is set to 1 (or set to true) and then make sure the level for that setting says 1.0.
For all these settings in this bit you will need to be sure the hashing is also removed in front of the same setting on that same line - doing this enables the setting also.

Honestly, above sounds complicated but its not. Extra optional settings...
You can enable MUCH better and faster refresh rate FFB for your wheel - my GTR2 feel is comparable to iracing now with FFB speed enhancement and my car setups.
The ability to use reshade with CC reshade VR preset which I only use for my monitor. My version of GTR2 now looks cleaner and more sharper than most modern sims - I use the CC VR Reshade preset for my monitors.
Correct steering animation; I use 450 degree rotation for all cars and if you want you can go into CC config file in plug-in folder and look for bit about wheel rotation and put 450 there so it lines up visually in-game.
Option to enable or disable CC spotter and instead use GTR2 built in one which I use.

GTR2 is such a great sim'.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes