GTR 2 VR Support! (Not asking, telling!)

Good morning to you all,

In the past week I have been busy to get gtr2 and Crew Chief to work in VR.
So far so good it is working with some trouble.
My problem is:
I start up Crew Chief;
Open Windows Mixed Reality (I use HP Reverb G2);
Open desktop window and open GTR2;
Steam VR is starting up and GTR2 in VR.
My problem is in front of GTR2 in VR is the desktop window.
When I launch GTR2 without CC there is no problem in VR environment. (No desktop window in front)

I found a solution.
Delete steam VR from steam and do a fresh install.
When I launch CC and open WMR and GTR2 there is no problem.
The problem is when I shut down WMR and power off headset and do a restart the same problem occurs as described above.

I think this is not the way to start GTR2 in VR.

Are there people arround wich can help me out to get rid of the desktop window in VR.

Thanks so far, and you all have a great weekend.

I'm so close to running in VR now but so many contradictions in this thread , some say use only steam exe other says different drive, other say Anerversary patch. The game is running perfect now with either installs, on different drives, CC has made the plugin files in steam version , when I launch steam exe steam says gtr2 does not support VR and VR may not run smooth, (That's normal ) and good but once it launch VR is only Showing steam sky and stars. I over ride open XR to run through steam or do I need to use WMR only? Reverb G2 . Cheers for any help.

Finally got it all working with VR Anerversary Patch and Steam install , Can anyone recommend settings for FFB with DD1? Cheers at the moment wheel is moving left & right when parked.

Finally got it all working with VR Anerversary Patch and Steam install , Can anyone recommend settings for FFB with DD1? Cheers at the moment wheel is moving left & right when parked.
I am running DD1 and I remember at some level of Effects game adds weird oscillation while standing. Try level 3 or 2 (I am away from my PC right now, so being a bit vague, sorry). My DD1 profile is included in Shovas' Competition FFB set.

Edit: Yeah, I am running FFB Effects Level="3" because higher level causes really weird effects while standing.

Last edited:
I am running DD1 and I remember at some level of Effects game adds weird oscillation while standing. Try level 3 or 2 (I am away from my PC right now, so being a bit vague, sorry). My DD1 profile is included in Shovas' Competition FFB set.

Edit: Yeah, I am running FFB Effects Level="3" because higher level causes really weird effects while standing.
Thanks Iron Wolf , everything is good now , no oscillation now. Wow ,the physics and tyre physics are spot on with the anarversary patch. Cheers

i just posted in the main thread but maybe its better here.

so i purchased a copy of GTR 2 on steam.

Installed crew chief for the vr and its running.

Its running really poorly however.

I'm using a Hp Reverb G2 on a 3080 and 8700k oc to 4.8ghz, 16gb dd4 - should be a decent rig

I'm barely getting 45fps at spa in the rain with 61 cars at 100% steam resolution. surely this isn't normal?

I've tried changing the in game settings down from high to medium and still the same.

Anyone got an idea?

i just posted in the main thread but maybe its better here.

so i purchased a copy of GTR 2 on steam.

Installed crew chief for the vr and its running.

Its running really poorly however.

I'm using a Hp Reverb G2 on a 3080 and 8700k oc to 4.8ghz, 16gb dd4 - should be a decent rig

I'm barely getting 45fps at spa in the rain with 61 cars at 100% steam resolution. surely this isn't normal?

I've tried changing the in game settings down from high to medium and still the same.

Anyone got an idea?
this is normal, rain, shadows and headlights are very heavy on CPU in GTR2 and even more so in VR. Make sure:
* shadows, headlights medium
* if you need higher framerate in rain, you can disable rain reflections in plugin settings, but that's a compromise
* try DXVK integration, it might help with performance, but not everyone reports boost.
* each HMD implements OpenVR slightly differently. You may extract additional 5-10% of perf by playing with VR settings section in .ini .

Last edited:
ok so it seems rain for some reason just cripples everything, this is despite my cpu usage reporting as quite low in fpsvr. i tried using default rain or the hq one. still tanks performance. understandable given the age of the engine etc.

is there a way to disable rain from the game completely?

Each time you launch a session, you can decide if you have rain or not.
So if you always keep the right setting ( cursor on the left for the weather ).... in fact you disable rain for your races but not from the game and that will not make any difference.

Hi .
impossible to run GTR2 in VR mod. I do not understand why. Does it work with HTC vive pro 2 headphones? THANKS
Work for me with my HTC Cosmos and it's headphones. The VR will work reliably every time but have you read the manual and if not you probs' need to. But the first step (if you don't read the manual) is to enable VR in the CC config file and then there should be a VR CMD EXE in the root of your install (dependant on which version of CC you use; the olders one won't but I guess you're on newer ones).

EDIT: Yar, maybe need to read the manual so you know how to use it for sure. It's straight forward enough but does require a teeny weeny bit of reading but once you GET IT you'll always understand it

Last edited:
@The Iron Wolf , thank you for all your work on getting VR to GTR2, as an exclusive VR Sim racer, having access to GTR2 in VR, is amazing.
I got it to work, following your advice on the set up PDF, it looks great, no issues, actually feels like the title was developed with VR in mind.
The driver animation in particular, is better than some so called newer SIM (I am looking at you RF2).
For the record, I am using a Oculus CV1 with a GTX 1080ti.
As you recommended, I created a new folder on a separated drive.
If I was to copy back that new folder in Common folder, to have access to VR GTR2 in Steam, will it work as well or is it a no no?

You could try, it might work. I personally am very happy that I can run GTR2 without Steam and even without SteamVR (Pimax OpenXR). And, having many copies of GTR2 is strongly recommended -doingb it that way helps avoiding conflicts between mods and have fast startup of GTR2.

rF2 is my favorite game, but to my surprise I have better offline experience (AI racing in GTR2) the only thing I miss is formation/standing and stock car rules, but maybe this will get added one day to GTR2 via my pluigin.

Glad you find VR experience native like, that's my goal - I have no screen at my rig, so VR is the only way to race here. If you haven't already, I encourage learning DXVK integration, video mode command line switches, OpenXR and ReShade for VR - basic VR is just the beginning.

Hi guys,
How is this game now in VR, is it 'doable' and can a n00b manage to get it playing in VR you think? (please don't underestimate my n00bnes aka stupidity!)

I really 'need to' drive Baltimore and I've seen it for this game, so I would get it just for that track, but I would really love it to be VR-worthy. ;)

Hi Navigator - if you want very basic GTR2 VR that is simple.

* Get clean Steam GTR2
* Get https://thecrewchief.org/downloads/gtr2/ccgep.zip extract and place those files inside GTR2
* Run GTR2 once - You should find CrewChief.ini in Plugins folder
* Search CrewChief.ini for enableSteamVRRendering and set it to 1

Those steps should enable basic GTR2 SteamVR in DX9 mode.

That said, plugin offers much, much more even just for VR. For best performance you should use DXVK and OpenXR if your headset has 32bit OpenXR support but that requires more configuration. Everything you need to know about my plugin is here: https://thecrewchief.org/downloads/gtr2/GTR2_CC_EP.pdf

You can track project progress here: https://thecrewchief.org/showthread...Setup-Instructions-Known-Issues-and-Changelog

Last edited:
yep, step by step. Just, copy GTR2 at every step, so that you can rollback as needed (you can have many copies, that's the beauty). I forgot to mention - the latest addition is full ReShade support in VR, including depth effects, it's a huge difference in VR. But, start simple. GL.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back