GTR 2 VR Support! (Not asking, telling!)

Sorry if this have been discussed before, but one thing I noticed is that if I increase the FoV to avoid the popping objects issue, the animated arms appear in the mirrors. It's not a huge problem, but the movement naturally draws my attention, so it's a little bit distracting. Is it possible to remove them somehow?

Sorry @Bjarne Hansen but it doesn't seem to work any longer .... mine is at this value and the driver appears in the virtual mirror.
I already noticed it 2 days ago and checked my plr.

NO VR in my case but using Crew Chief

Last edited:
That's right Bjarne :thumbsup:
I was coming back to edit my post as I just noticed it happened just on 1 mod car ... and this was a McLaren F1 GTR with ......... driver center in cockpit of course.

Not very important in my case as I mostly drive without driver arms and wheel .... mine are enough. :roflmao:
But for once I tested with that option activated.

Sorry if this have been discussed before, but one thing I noticed is that if I increase the FoV to avoid the popping objects issue, the animated arms appear in the mirrors. It's not a huge problem, but the movement naturally draws my attention, so it's a little bit distracting. Is it possible to remove them somehow?
I'll add the recommended setting to VR setup instructions, I see that's one thing I forgot to mention there :)

Last edited:
Regarding rear view mirrors.
I was wrong it can be the int_driverXX too. Some worse than other.
Best bet is to use Scorpyo HD arms/hands or GTR233 HD arms they do not show in the rear view mirrors. Likely due to they do not have a upper body. And anyway looks much better.
It only happens when the center mirror is low and centered as fare as I can tell ?

So that is another thing where the Steam Gtr2 differs from the Nocd Gtr2 version

Do not use the launcher. Just start the gtr2.exe directly
If you use the desktop shortcut just have it point to the gt2.exe
Then it all works for me. The launcher do not really do anything anyway.
Make sure you run the gtr2config.exe first in that folder.

Thanks for the great updates over the last few months. I haven't played in a while, and I updated everything( Anniversary patch, 2005 FIA-GT patch) as well as the CC plugins. Everytime I started the game(without starting SVR first) I would get the hour glass symbol and quite a few stutters while in the game. It was driving me nuts. I tired starting Steam VR first then launching the game and have no issues now. Don't remember having the issue before. Weird!

Thanks for the great updates over the last few months. I haven't played in a while, and I updated everything( Anniversary patch, 2005 FIA-GT patch) as well as the CC plugins. Everytime I started the game(without starting SVR first) I would get the hour glass symbol and quite a few stutters while in the game. It was driving me nuts. I tired starting Steam VR first then launching the game and have no issues now. Don't remember having the issue before. Weird!
Make sure the only thing you run as Administrator is GTR2Config. I will soon be updating my main post for the plugin with the "Happy Path" instructions at thecrewchief.org, which will explain the exact procedure for starting GTR2. Funnily enough, the hardest part in all of this is to start GTR2 correctly, there are so many ways to do it incorrectly (especially with VR involved).

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 13397

to make it easy to configure the CrewChief plugin, i wrote a FrontEnd to modify the options of it

just extract in the GTR2 directory (no install needed)

first TAB includes Buttons to start GTR2 in VR on or VR off mod
to your convience

Just a heads up for VR users.
In SteamVR you can now change worldscale.
Always found the cars to be a little to big in GTR2!
That is or might be due to IPD not set correctly in my headset?
But might also have to do with my sim steering wheel are smaller than the virtual cars steering wheel.
Anyway Start gtr2 in VR as normal.
When in Menu take off headset and click settings on . SteamVR window.
Then Video settings and change per application.
And can now change World scale for Gtr2.
even a little change have an effect.
I have for now settled on 96% and feel that is a big improvement for me.

I've got some problems to start VR (rift s).
I installe CCv4 and select GTR2 folder. I checked to plugin files and .dll (they were all present after CC installation except CrewChief.ini but I manually download and put the file in the plugin folder).
What I do:
- open oculus interface
- start CC
- start gtr2.exe
- game run fine, but no VR!
I checked the installation manual, and all seems ok, any suggestion? (I also tried to open steamVR before start gtr2.exe, but still no VR)
Thanks

I've got some problems to start VR (rift s).
I installe CCv4 and select GTR2 folder. I checked to plugin files and .dll (they were all present after CC installation except CrewChief.ini but I manually download and put the file in the plugin folder).
What I do:
- open oculus interface
- start CC
- start gtr2.exe
- game run fine, but no VR!
I checked the installation manual, and all seems ok, any suggestion? (I also tried to open steamVR before start gtr2.exe, but still no VR)
Thanks
2 things to check:
* This is Steam GTR2.exe, right?
* Make sure enableUnofficialFeatures = 1 and enableSteamVRRendering = 1 is set in CrewChief.ini.
* If you switch between vr and non vr often, it might be easier to pass -ccvr/-ccnovr switch to GTR2.exe.

Thank, here my update:
1) I just buy steam version.
2) I copyed the full steam folder to another one
3) It runs well in 2d.
4) Then I edited the CrewChief.ini. and I've got CTD/error
5) it seems that the CTD is due to full screen. I set windows mode and the game start
6) the VR is not activated

I have to do something with CC? I just installed it, updated sound/names/personalisation, located the GTR2 folder and press start.

Thanks for any suggestion

UPDATE:
it works, need to be set also
enableSteamVRRendering = 1

Last edited:
Just a further question: the steam-GTR2 has the "grey cars" problem that involve not only the stock cars but mods too. The use of Anniversary pack seems incompatible with CC VR due to the gtr2.exe. Any suggestion to solve this problem?
Thanks

Just a further question: the steam-GTR2 has the "grey cars" problem that involve not only the stock cars but mods too. The use of Anniversary pack seems incompatible with CC VR due to the gtr2.exe. Any suggestion to solve this problem?
Thanks
Anniversary Patch is the base...but if you read the readme, it says to install HQ MODS COLLECTION SETUP if you want such EXTRA OPTIONS with direct link :

- download and install both Microsoft VC redist 2010 and 2015-2019
- fresh gtr2 install
- Anniversary Patch 15.4
- HQ MODS SETUP 15.4
- HOTFIX 7 : https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/gtr2-hq-mods-collection-setup.182970/post-3393006
- run GTR2_SETUP.CMD and read description/notes I wrote at each page : 37 pages of options, select binary #2 at binary choice page ;)

Last edited:
@andrea1978

The problem Crew Chief - Anniversary Patch is not a real one if you respect the following order of the install.
CC absolutely needs to be installed first immediately after copying the original Steam GTR2 to another folder at the root of one of your disks.
But please follow the exact "Happy Path" explained in the CC pdf readme.... else it will not work.
( I forgot 1 thing when reinstalling the latest Anniversary Patch and I had to begin again from scratch ! :D )
Once CC is working ... and only after installing CC you may then apply the Anniversary Patch and modifying the GTR.exe with the Raceroom one etc...
Then only you'll be able to have no grey cars any longer.

GTR2 CC with VR + special wipers for example is working perfectly with the whole content of the Anniversary Patch.
But one last time, the only condition is to install and have CC working before anything else. ;)

NB: no VR for me but CC and all its other advantages are working for me with Ann. Patch installed.

EDIT: on the contrary of what's said in GTR233's readme .... for Crew Chief only the config.exe needs to be run as administrator but not Steam original GTR2.exe ... and moreover with no compatibility mode.
That's perfectly mentioned in CC readme..... each exact step must be done with all details perfectly matching the given explanation.... else there's a problem with the needed d3d9.dll

I must admit that it's a bit complicated but that's the price to pay when loving GTR2 in 2021. :laugh:

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back