AC GT3 @ Road America - Sunday 3rd May 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Don't be put off, still quite often struggle, good way to learn.
Quite often get lapped, use it to observe first hand were I am slow, were I am fast.
All gets stored away for future use. You are in a good place to comfortably learn your race skills for online racing.
Accept it, everyone is on the same ladder, just on a different step.

I am in the same boat :) I was just looking for some hints on setup. Also, I have no clue how to practise a pit stop, so that might be an experience too :whistling:

Scoot, I guess you and I can stay in the back then, hahaha! As for the pit stops, you'll get it. I was doing the same. I think I have a decent grasp of it, but it's far from perfect.

You can find some setups @ the setupmarket or if you can google something like: 'road america gt3 racedepartment' you might find other peoples setups for the car that you are driving.

I saw you putting some good lap times in there Patrick :) Yeah, I have setup market, and tried downloading a couple setups. Never popped up in that bottom box for some reason. I'll keep tinkering.

Don't be put off, still quite often struggle, good way to learn.
Quite often get lapped, use it to observe first hand were I am slow, were I am fast.
All gets stored away for future use. You are in a good place to comfortably learn your race skills for online racing.
Accept it, everyone is on the same ladder, just on a different step.

I am not terribly put off by it, just wondered how I could be so far off :D It'll be fine. Not the youngster I used to be, so I am sure reflexes are slower than they used to be.

You can find some setups @ the setupmarket or if you can google something like: 'road america gt3 racedepartment' you might find other peoples setups for the car that you are driving.
read up on setup
then take time altering one thing at a time to see how it effects you drive.
When you get an improvement in lap time save that setup so at least you can go back to it.
It probably helps to wear headphones so you can hear whats happening to the tyres and bodywork as you go around.

But the fast times are mainly down to skill: perfect braking, smooth cornering, perfect acceleration out
Smooth cornering doesn't begin to describe what's going on though.
When you have done 1000 or maybe 2000 hours you will probably be getting close to these quick times.

These fast guys here are some of the very best sim racers in the world- Chris has the Road America world record in the Maclaren at 2:02.7ish

Also, I have no clue how to practise a pit stop,
You just go on a practice, start the lap, and go to pits. if you park in your slot, it will just change your tyre / addd fuel, whatever you've set and you will go further. it doesn't lock you into the pits.
2 tips:
1. at the end of the setup page you have a setup where you can make predefined changes.
2. you can bring the pit panel anytime you want if you have buttons mapped for that on your wheel. on my G29 i use the arrows, for example. (they were default)

Yeah, I have setup market, and tried downloading a couple setups. Never popped up in that bottom box for some reason. I'll keep tinkering.
you have to be patience. the in game app doesn't really work, but if you go from the browser, you will have to have some patience. it usually loads up in a minute or two (or 5, depends on the speed).

you have to be patience. the in game app doesn't really work, but if you go from the browser, you will have to have some patience. it usually loads up in a minute or two (or 5, depends on the speed).

I wondered if I needed to be out of the game itself and only do what you mentioned. Thanks for the advice :)

Either my setup for this car and circuit are terrible, or I am just a terrible driver, or both. Best I can do in practice is a 2.08. I saw some of you doing 2.03! I will do my best to stay out of everyone's way later :)
I am in the same boat :) I was just looking for some hints on setup. Also, I have no clue how to practise a pit stop, so that might be an experience too :whistling:

Since I hold the 650s world record I guess I'm qualified to reply to this :)

I also used to have these kinds of frustrations when I first started online and realised I'm not going as fast as I thought. There are two main things to learn:

1. How does the sim work?
2. How does the car work? (This is also likely to vary a little even with the same car in different sims.)

My advice is to stick to a car repeatedly and build up a feeling about how to drive it fast. That just takes some time and practice, it'll come in no time :) I've been driving 650s in AC for two years (~600 hours), more or less every Sunday, and I still learn new things about it all the time.

Much more important than having a fast time is having fun. All the rest will come with practice :)

Last edited:
Since I hold the 650s world record I guess I'm qualified to reply to this :)

I also used to have these kinds of frustrations when I first started online and realised I'm not going as fast as I thought. There are two main things to learn:

1. How does the sim work?
2. How does the car work? (This is also likely to vary a little even with the same car in different sims.)

My advice is to stick to a car repeatedly and build up a feeling about how to drive it fast. That just takes some time and practice, it'll come in no time :)

Much more important than having a fast time is having fun.

Yeah I plan on sticking with it, and I never thought I would be pulling out some of the fastest times really. I am happy that those times I was seeing were some of the best or near the best like yours, and not mid-pack, hahaha!

Yeah I plan on sticking with it, and I never thought I would be pulling out some of the fastest times really. I am happy that those times I was seeing were some of the best or near the best like yours, and not mid-pack, hahaha!

Just my experience of sim racing here since march. A little bit of sim racing but mostly sim driving around a track on my own at the back!

Blue flags. I've had my fair share. The one simple thing is to let people past on a straight rather than a corner. Sounds obvious but sometimes all of a sudden the race leader is on your bumper mid corner or chicane. Just carry on until its safe. Better to delay him half a second than a potential collision mid corner costing 10 plus.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.