AC GT3 @ Red Bull Ring - Sunday 21st February 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Thanks Chris for organizing and congrats to the podium :thumbsup:

This time I couldn't get any speed out of the Nissan, Especially T2 was a nightmare. After a slow start and some laps in, the race determining battle with @Interslice started. With Brian having the better pace, I had to defend with all there was, making the GT-R as wide as possible. A lot of inside-out maneuvers from Brian but somehow I could keep myself in front of him. Too bad it ended with a spin from him shortly before half-time. But he got a second chance because I forgot to change tyres :O_o: (somehow it was disabled) and had to do my second stint on the old softs. That dropped my pace significantly and my goal was to defend P7 for as long as I could. That also led to a curious situation with @maxilogan. I was about to lap him but couldn't get any closer than ~1 second and he was in a fight with the SCG in front of him. So I guess he had a blue flag symbol constantly waving on his screen but the "faster" guy behind him wasn't fast enough to come any closer :D At some point, @Interslice closed the gap to me and we went into the second-half of our superb battle. Real close and intense racing for a couple of laps but unfortunatly with the same result as before. Ended the race in P7 with little to no tires left. Next time at RBR I'll give another car a try.

EDIT: It wasn't @beginer but @maxilogan ;)

Last edited:

That also led to a curious situation with @beginer. I was about to lap him but couldn't get any closer than ~1 second and he was in a fight with the SCG in front of him. So I guess he had a blue flag symbol constantly waving on his screen but the "faster" guy behind him wasn't fast enough to come any closer :D At some point, @Interslice closed the gap to me and we went into the second-half of our superb battle. Real close and intense racing for a couple of laps but unfortunatly with the same result as before. Ended the race in P7 with little to no tires left. Next time at RBR I'll give another car a try.

Though I'm for sure a beginner :laugh: , I think it was me that you are referring to. That's actually what I just saw having had a look at the replay: after chasing @boomRoasted and managed to overtake him thanks to his error on T1 (I believe), I tried not to stick too much to the racing line throughout all the following straight but I saw you couldn't get close enough to let you by :O_o: Sorry for the misunderstanding, I also saw that many lappers do flash their lights when they're ready to pass (reminds me of the Italian highways..). As I told you - and you explained me the reason - we had a very similar pace at that point of the race. However, I then really enjoyed having you and @Interslice battling in front of me for the rest of the race, until he then made the error that let you definitively keep your position.

So far my best race not in terms of the final result but with regards to the quali and the initial stint. I have to practice a lot with AI and try to keep the focus further than the actual 20-25 minutes (also in the race at Nurburgring I had a performance drop with lots of errors after that time).
Really really enjoyed the first 15 laps chasing @Partick Eaton first then battling with him and the group (@640er, @Marko77, @beginer, @JamKart22, @random2k4 ).

This until first I spun at T4 and couldn't get out of the grass, lost lots of positions. Then the usual pit miss, had to get back a few metres to have the tyres changed and refueling).

Thanks @Chris Down for organising, congrats to the podium finishers and see you next race!

This until first I spun at T4 and couldn't get out of the grass,
Do you have a clutch pedal? Are you using the "auto clutch" assist?

I think my starts would be better with auto clutch but there's one issue with AC:
When you're in the gravel or on the grass, the auto clutch won't allow you to accelerate!

That's why I keep it disabled... Without auto clutch you can pretty much always just roll in first gear with little bit of throttle and drive back on track. With auto clutch active I always felt like crawling slowly like I got stuck and then having violent wheel spin a second later...

@random2k4

Well, I can see the problem now, looking at the replay, when I looked at the radar, had a gap to the Z4, I have a single screen ( must get triple monitors )
I had a clear gap, really did not expect the Z4 to close that gap on a Nissan; so instinctively started to pull across, little knowing Stefan had got up my left inside.

PS.
it was not your car with too much ping, got confused with Omar's car.

The rest is an accident, certainly did not do it on purpose, why would I, just an unfortunate racing incident.
Cannot blame anyone.
The second was just a love tap, :unsure:went to drive up the inside and you closed the door, no one to blame there either.:roflmao::roflmao:

All that aside, great race with Stefan, Thomas, and all around me.
Made a place up with the absent of @Chris Down too.:roflmao:

Well done to @neesve Cornelius on your podium, could have done now't about it accident or no accident.:)
And of course well done to other podiums too, and @Chris Down for the organisation, and giving me an extra place.
And thanks to the backmarker who caused me no problems at all.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

This time I couldn't get any speed out of the Nissan, Especially T2 was a nightmare. After a slow start and some laps in, the race determining battle with @Interslice started. With Brian having the better pace, I had to defend with all there was, making the GT-R as wide as possible. A lot of inside-out maneuvers from Brian but somehow I could keep myself in front of him. Too bad it ended with a spin from him shortly before half-time. But he got a second chance because I forgot to change tyres :O_o: (somehow it was disabled) and had to do my second stint on the old softs. That dropped my pace significantly and my goal was to defend P7 for as long as I could. That also led to a curious situation with @beginer. I was about to lap him but couldn't get any closer than ~1 second and he was in a fight with the SCG in front of him. So I guess he had a blue flag symbol constantly waving on his screen but the "faster" guy behind him wasn't fast enough to come any closer :D At some point, @Interslice closed the gap to me and we went into the second-half of our superb battle. Real close and intense racing for a couple of laps but unfortunatly with the same result as before. Ended the race in P7 with little to no tires left. Next time at RBR I'll give another car a try.

Well played andreas! When i caught you after the pits i thought you might have a tyre issue alright. I was guessing mediums so so thought you were going to finish the last 4 or 5 laps stronger than me.

The part of the battle that broke me was when i passed you in t1, i thought i was away clean, didn't even bother to shut the door on the exit and next thing you have your nose on my right and got past again at the hairpin... :thumbsdown: i was at a loss on how to get a clean overtake at that stage! Tried the same thing again then at t1, but with a bit more dive i caught the inside sausage and spun it.

@Interslice

Just after you got past me Brian, noticed the Lambo threw you off the circuit, was it the normal Schizophrenic Lambo trait or your fault. :unsure:

I think at the horseshie ernie? That was the kimmich wobble! @thom462 was fishtailing and scrubbing alot of speed mid corner... Not sure if there was a dab of the brakes from him to correct but i had to go wide around him. I felt at the time, the only other options were to hit him, or to brake hard and probably go backwards off the track. I'm going to look at that one and the same thing at the monza parabolica..(I think yourself/stefan regained lost position that time too) Not sure if i had more time or safe distance than i thought. Problem was, on both occassions i had really thrown the car in close to my max, to try and get tighter, where he was usually faster than me... Bad timing that he happened to have the wobbles at those points.

The lambo seems to have alot of empathy with other spinning/wobbling/spun out cars :roflmao: It often tries to join them in their struggles :p

Last edited:
That's why I keep it disabled... Without auto clutch you can pretty much always just roll in first gear with little bit of throttle and drive back on track. With auto clutch active I always felt like crawling slowly like I got stuck and then having violent wheel spin a second later...

That's exactly what's happening to me.. I'll have a look at the setting, I don't think that disabling it will do any harm on a GT3 except for the race start, for which I have a clutch pedal anyways. Thanks a lot for the tip!

@random2k4
PS.
it was not your car with too much ping, got confused with Omar's car.

Guys, Wednesday will be the day I am waiting for since a lot. FTTC :cautious: finally available in my little town and will be connected. Hopefully I'll get better ping values from then on.
I am always hesitant between using a mobile hotspot (higher speed in comparison to my actual 7Mb / 480 kb down/up ADSL, but I believe much poorer ping) or the ADSL. Yesterday I used the ADSL and I saw the ping was initially 155 (red) then decreased to as low as 65 (green indication), but frankly this was in quali and first part of the race. Didn't look at it during the race prosecution.
I should have a great leap forward (at least with regards to the actual situation) with actual speed in the range of the 35/40Mb in down and 3 to 5 in up (quite far from the cabinet unfortunately), I hope the ping will be better as well.

Last edited:
Guys, Wednesday will be the day I am waiting for since a lot. FTTC :)cautious:) finally available in my little town and will be connected. Hopefully I'll get better ping values from then on.
I am always hesitant between using a mobile hotspot (higher speed in comparison to my actual 7Mb / 480 kb down/up ADSL, but I believe much poorer ping) or the ADSL. Yesterday I used the ADSL and I saw the ping was initially 155 (red) then decreased to as low as 65 (green indication), but frankly this was in quali and first part of the race. Didn't look at it during the race prosecution.
I should have a great leap forward (at least with regards to the actual situation) with actual speed in the range of the 35/40Mb in down and 3 to 5 in up (quite far from the cabinet unfortunately), I hope the ping will be better as well.

I figured out if i set up my mobile as a hotspot for the rest of the house and keep the mobile dongle for myself the ping is pretty good and stable more importantly. I'm guessing as it's not broadband it can't handle more than one job at a time.

Hope the fibre work outs omar! I'm in a similar situation in a small village. On the plus side i can actually see the fibre hub about 100m away on a telephone pole... Should be connected to the house in the next 5 - 10 years :rolleyes: Not sure if i will have to pay crazy money for a dinosaur phone line/adsl first, while i wait for the 'free' fibre connection... I try not to think about it :thumbsdown: Finally got a postcode yesterday, so that's the the first step. Puts you on the list. Seem to be a bit of a lottery as to when they will be back to connect up houses here again.

Last edited:
I also feel we should all do a cool down lap. I'm surprised we all don't. I that that was a standard thing. Everyone just sort of stopping and crashing into the other at the end sort of ruins the experience for me after 60 minutes of racing when everyone is doing their best, to just come to a sudden stop.

I'm really not going to enforce that, not least because I don't like the idea. ;-) For years we have just relaxed, talked to each other, had some argy bargy, and chatted about the race after it. This is an informal environment, people should feel free to get it out of their system however they like: do donuts, do a cooldown lap, or whatever they want once the race is over. Enforcing a cooldown lap is some boarding school rules stuff. Personally being the weekly puntee or punter with @Aksu is a good way to defuse the tension ;-)

I can lightly suggest that where possible people do it off track, but I'm really not going to enforce it at all. There's really no words you could use to convince me that this is something we should go about doing.

Last edited:
Though I'm for sure a beginner :laugh: , I think it was me that you are referring to.

Yep you're right. And did you get an annoying constant blue flag like I imagined? Oh and another thing I have encountered when following you for the last 2 races. Do you have a high ping? At Monza we made little contact in T1 because your car jumped and this time, while following you, it also seemed like you have high latency. Your car was acting weird and my ping was around 30.

EDIT: Oh I should read all the posts before posting :D You already explained your internet situation in great detail...

Last edited:
@jackdyson31 I'll probably have some time available for analysis this week.
I've got a 1:30.2xx with the Ferrari on softs, 1:31.5xx on mediums. Then some 1:30.182 with the McLaren from last year and a 1:29.5xx with the Audi on softs and some 1:30's on mediums.

So feel free whatever you've driving throughout your practice, qualy, race. I should be able to use your car + setup and do some laps.

Maybe Ernie could upload his GT-R laps?

You both got quite a bit faster than when uploading your telemetry in the VIR thread...

Yep you're right. And did you get an annoying constant blue flag like I imagined? Oh and another thing I have encountered when following you for the last 2 races. Do you have a high ping? At Monza we made little contact in T1 because your car jumped and this time, while following you, it also seemed like you have high latency. Your car was acting weird and my ping was around 30.
EDIT: Oh I should read all the posts before posting :D You already explained your internet situation in great detail...

Yes, I had the constant blue flag and couldn't understand why all of the others had no problem in getting closer :D

Next race will give us definitive answer with regards to the ping. In Monza I was quite certainly using the mobile hotspot, so the ping wasn't the best.
@Interslice sorry to hear that your in a worse situation in comparison to mine. I actually use the hotspot just for this computer, while the rest of the family is relying on the ADSL router so all the bandwidth is for me, but anyways it's not the best. I just saw on twitter that you're based in Ireland and I saw that you posted a couple of rally links. A colleague of mine also lives in Ireland and is running rallies. He's also been featured in an eir spot a couple of years ago

Your jabs to the inside were keeping me on my toes! Glad you were able to get away cleanly after I lost the rear in T-1. :D
Hey morning ! Yeah I could see you move out right on the main straight to avoid being drafted which told me you knew I was there and were possibly on the defensive. Then I would never attack where you expected, even when you gave me room (thank you so much for that, it is so educational to see such courtesy and it becomes infinitely easier to reciprocate) - I just would use up precious tyres in certain corners to loom large in your mirrors, pile on the pressure so to speak. I could see something was wrong with your car or tyres and I was unsure as to how to take advantage.

Then I nearly dropped it with that lunge over the sausage at T1 and was praying that the car was not damaged as you drove by me. I think it was near the end of the race and I thought "it's ok to use more tyre, just keep it on the road" and began to take little bites out of the tyre life as I nudged upto qualifying pace behind you.

Yes then unfortunately you had that oversteer moment as you went up onto the yellow strip at the T1 exit (same happens to me at T8 if I am not careful) and I couldn't believe what I was seeing, so I checked that I had no steering lock on and lifted a bit and veered while watching where you were going to go. I prayed that you would just lock your brakes so I could see how it wes going to play out! Instead you just lifted off and let her roll backward under steering. Thanks for that because I thought you might try and spin her around.

Once I was through, I felt bad for you because I knew you were pushing up on the curbs at T9 and T10 and I really loved being in a race with you - but I smiled and just breathed "Thank you very much". In clear air I began to conserve my tyres again and watch for our race leaders.

It is amazing, but the sorts of things we were doing really make you learn how to precisely control how much slip you have on the tyres and how much slip ratio you have on at the exits to get good traction and control the lateral tyre force.

I never understood these things before and this race was quite the education. Thank you :)

Last edited:

This time I couldn't get any speed out of the Nissan, Especially T2 was a nightmare. After a slow start and some laps in, the race determining battle with @Interslice started. With Brian having the better pace, I had to defend with all there was, making the GT-R as wide as possible. A lot of inside-out maneuvers from Brian but somehow I could keep myself in front of him. Too bad it ended with a spin from him shortly before half-time. But he got a second chance because I forgot to change tyres :O_o: (somehow it was disabled) and had to do my second stint on the old softs. That dropped my pace significantly and my goal was to defend P7 for as long as I could. That also led to a curious situation with @maxilogan. I was about to lap him but couldn't get any closer than ~1 second and he was in a fight with the SCG in front of him. So I guess he had a blue flag symbol constantly waving on his screen but the "faster" guy behind him wasn't fast enough to come any closer :D At some point, @Interslice closed the gap to me and we went into the second-half of our superb battle. Real close and intense racing for a couple of laps but unfortunatly with the same result as before. Ended the race in P7 with little to no tires left. Next time at RBR I'll give another car a try.

EDIT: It wasn't @beginer but @maxilogan ;)
I agree T2 is a major hassle ...

I'm really not going to enforce that, not least because I don't like the idea. ;-) For years we have just relaxed, talked to each other, had some argy bargy, and chatted about the race after it. This is an informal environment, people should feel free to get it out of their system however they like: do donuts, do a cooldown lap, or whatever they want once the race is over. Enforcing a cooldown lap is some boarding school rules stuff. Personally being the weekly puntee or punter with @Aksu is a good way to defuse the tension ;-)

I can lightly suggest that where possible people do it off track, but I'm really not going to enforce it at all. There's really no words you could use to convince me that this is something we should go about doing.
@Chris Down Fair enough. I think, like with everything, there has to be a balance though: with the freedom to do as you please, there should be the burden of courtesy to your fellow racers, and a certain awareness of their points of view.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.