AC GT3 @ Red Bull Ring - Sunday 21st February 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
@jackdyson31 I'll probably have some time available for analysis this week.
I've got a 1:30.2xx with the Ferrari on softs, 1:31.5xx on mediums. Then some 1:30.182 with the McLaren from last year and a 1:29.5xx with the Audi on softs and some 1:30's on mediums.

So feel free whatever you've driving throughout your practice, qualy, race. I should be able to use your car + setup and do some laps.

Maybe Ernie could upload his GT-R laps?

You both got quite a bit faster than when uploading your telemetry in the VIR thread...
Dear Rasmus !

I hope things are better your end mate.

That said I am so glad you wrote ! I would love to get back to training with you and Ernie

:)

I could manage a 1:30.5 on Sunday at RBR at home having worked on it, and I did share my setup with Ernie and took some tyre advice from him just before we went live. Unfortunately the server doesn't use the CSM shader physics option which I have enabled here (it is harder to drive but the FFB and the grip feel is more poignant and it is oh soooo immersivveeeee) and so it felt quite different and I was a 1:31.1 in qualifying - which I was very happy with given the sudden change of feel together with the fact that I can't properly drive certain corners.

Yes I think I am a bit quicker (about 2.5 seconds faster than before) now generally - though I still have problems at the "nutsack" corners at RBR - and looking at his stupendous qualifying lap (was so proud of that) , Ernie has also improved by about 0.5-1 sec from what little I can perceive.

I want to work on it more as I did low 1:30's straight after last nights race (just to check it was the experimental physics option that cost me in qualifying). I know the car can do a 1:29.6 and Ernie got it right last night so there is more time to play for.

So to summarise:

a) I will share and welcome all data
b) I will respond to criticism (especially from you, Rasmus, I welcome it) positively
c) I will share setups/knowledge
d) We can practice together too if time allows ?

Lastly, I love the Nissan-GTR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS does anyone know of links where I can read up on the car ?

Ciaoo
e) Invitation open to anyone reading this (who wishes to contribute/work together)

Last edited:
Yes, I had the constant blue flag and couldn't understand why all of the others had no problem in getting closer :D

Next race will give us definitive answer with regards to the ping. In Monza I was quite certainly using the mobile hotspot, so the ping wasn't the best.
@Interslice sorry to hear that your in a worse situation in comparison to mine. I actually use the hotspot just for this computer, while the rest of the family is relying on the ADSL router so all the bandwidth is for me, but anyways it's not the best. I just saw on twitter that you're based in Ireland and I saw that you posted a couple of rally links. A colleague of mine also lives in Ireland and is running rallies. He's also been featured in an eir spot a couple of years ago

Haha nice, ye i live in the land of soft margins and permanently wet tarmac! Many a green hell in this part of europe. I've never been rallying unfortunately, just a bit of it's no budget cousin called autotesting! We have only one half decent international race track(mondello park, not a top grade mod and not on RD either unfortunately) , so road racing in cars and on motorbikes is still really big here.

The internet has been ok since i beefed up the kit. If your fibre gets delayed give me a shout for some pimp your hotspot solutions! Lucky enough sim racing is fine on it.

Last edited:
I'm really not going to enforce that, not least because I don't like the idea. ;-) For years we have just relaxed, talked to each other, had some argy bargy, and chatted about the race after it. This is an informal environment, people should feel free to get it out of their system however they like: do donuts, do a cooldown lap, or whatever they want once the race is over. Enforcing a cooldown lap is some boarding school rules stuff. Personally being the weekly puntee or punter with @Aksu is a good way to defuse the tension ;-)

I can lightly suggest that where possible people do it off track, but I'm really not going to enforce it at all. There's really no words you could use to convince me that this is something we should go about doing.
It's not a big issue. I don't mean to 'enforce' it. It would be nice to have a minute or two cool down while everyone finishes, but I also understand that once you cross the line the race is over, and this is a game.

Dear Rasmus !

I hope things are better your end mat
Yep! Although they weren't bad. It wasn't a surprise that the grandma died. She was 92 and getting worse lately.. She's at a better place now with more fun for her! :)
I could manage a 1:30.5 on Sunday at RBR at home having worked on it, and I did share my setup with Ernie and took some tyre advice from him just before we went live. Unfortunately the server doesn't use the CSM shader physics option which I have enabled here (it is harder to drive but the FFB and the grip feel is more poignant and it is oh soooo immersivveeeee) and so it felt quite different and I was a 1:31.1 in qualifying - which I was very happy with given the sudden change of feel and I can't properly drive certain corners.

Yes I think I am a bit quicker (about 2.5 seconds faster than before) now generally - though I still have problems at the "nutsack" corners at RBR - and looking at his stupendous qualifying lap (was so proud of that) , Ernie has also improved by about 0.5-1 sec from what little I can perceive.
Ouch!! Rule nr.1: always practice with the server settings! :p
I want to work on it more as I did low 1:30's straight after last nights race (just to check it was the experimental physics option that cost me in qualifying). I know the car can do a 1:29.6 and Ernie got it right last night so there is more time to play for.
So... I setup the hotlap mode to the server settings and... holy sh*t I did a 1:29.204 with content manager telling my my theoretical best would be 1:29.002!
Did 40 laps, it was up and down, concentration issues etc. Getting a full second slower for 10 laps in a row until suddenly doing a very dirty 29.340 and then a few laps later after taking a short break, the 29.204!

Telemetry, video, setup all stored nicely for you ofc :)

That's gonna be difficult I fear... My rhythm is all over the place.. exam weeks at university so I just drive whenever I am motivated enough. Probably won't drive until the next race :barefoot:
I never liked it.. Felt heavy, weird, spongy, couldn't get a setup that I liked and quickly stopped driving it.
But I wanted to make my driving comparable to you and Ernie so I used his setup from the VIR thread, worked on it for 45 minutes and now I really love that car!
Should've used the GT-R for yesterday's race!!

My PB would've meant starting from P4 instead of P10 :D

Anyway, here's the video of my lap, setup is attached in the description and I'm waiting for you giving it a shot and also posting your telemetry! :)

Last edited:
Reading your post, what exactly are the server settings? It is important to use the server for practice. Even the lighting is different, which can affect how you pick your brake points (use of shadows etc.)

Dear Rasmus !

I hope things are better your end mate.

That said I am so glad you wrote ! I would love to get back to training with you and Ernie

I could manage a 1:30.5 on Sunday at RBR at home having worked on it, and I did share my setup with Ernie and took some tyre advice from him just before we went live. Unfortunately the server doesn't use the CSM shader physics option which I have enabled here (it is harder to drive but the FFB and the grip feel is more poignant and it is oh soooo immersivveeeee) and so it felt quite different and I was a 1:31.1 in qualifying - which I was very happy with given the sudden change of feel and I can't properly drive certain corners.

So to summarise:

a) Yes I will share and welcome all data
b) I will respond to criticism (especially from you, Rasmus, I welcome it) positively
c) I will share setups/knowledge

PS does anyone know of links where I can read up on the car ?

Ciaoo
e) Invitation open to anyone reading this (who wishes to contribute/work together)

Some additional thoughts from the C team:-

It can always be thought that it's a secret set up that you are missing but it's realy getting the corners right:How easy it is to loose .1sec every corner compared to the front runners, why not .2sec each corner. That's 1+ seconds lost.

The skill is not in setup but skill in playing the game:.
When to get on the brakes,
when to stop braking/turning/applying power[this should be seamless-and for me it's not]
Being at the max speed for the corner by bleeding speed OFF, not speeding back up!,
then applying power as your car can take it usually as you apex the corner

It's doing all these with no thinking gap between actions.

One major difference between myself and the fast drivers that I bnhave noticed is in the slow speed corners, Chris can go through most of these 15kph faster than me, which means that they are also going faster at the end of a straight too. I DO not know what I am missing here-Skill I suppose.

Another point is we are racing with the VERY best drivers in the world, so if I can get within 3% of Chris's time I think I am doing pretty good.

It's always worth sitting onboard with the front runners to see if their lines are massively different to your own; and they can be, then you see if you can improve your own time with an adapted line.

Obviously set up can make the car more stable, but often it makes the car worse.
Choose a car and stick to it so that you get used to how it feels and then you can spot when it's performing worse in some area or feels more stable after you have made a gradual changes in setup.

Oh and 1000s of hours of practice.

It can always be thought that it's a secret set up that you are missing but it's realy getting the corners right:How easy it is to loose .1sec every corner compared to the front runners, why not .2sec each corner. That's 1+ seconds lost.

when to stop braking/turning/applying power[this should be seamless-and for me it's not]
Being at the max speed for the corner by bleeding speed OFF, not speeding back up!,

One major difference between myself and the fast drivers that I bnhave noticed is in the slow speed corners, Chris can go through most of these 15kph faster than me, which means that they are also going faster at the end of a straight too. I DO not know what I am missing here-Skill I suppose.

Another point is we are racing with the VERY best drivers in the world, so if I can get within 3% of Chris's time I think I am doing pretty good.

It's always worth sitting onboard with the front runners to see if their lines are massively different to your own; and they can be, then you see if you can improve your own time with an adapted line.

Obviously set up can make the car more stable, but often it makes the car worse.
Choose a car and stick to it so that you get used to how it feels and then you can spot when it's performing worse in some area or feels more stable after you have made a gradual changes in setup.

Hi John,

Thank you very much for those thoughts, I shall gladly learn from them and reply by making some comments and observations of my own:

I would broadly agree - but as a beginner I find a good setup allows one to focus on a particular deficiency at a time. For example at VIR I went 2 seconds faster because of Chris' line and almost 2+ seconds faster using Ernie's setup because I could be aggressive on the throttle over the last part. That's 3-4 seconds once I knew the track. It is so many things together and every little advantage helps you to get more or learn more.

Most of all it gives you a vital reference point: So if you drove a setup X in Y time and I am driving that in Z time - I can begin to see my faults in a clear and transparent way. A setup is just another variable along the way, the more of these variables that are eliminated, the easier it becomes to focus on just driving the car for a newcomer.

For example my big Achille's heel is not so much apex speed (compared to Nissan drivers) but the exit traction out of the corner. So it is not as simple as having high exit speed but also maintaining that speed on the way out of the corner which I can't do yet. I have a very good instinct, but a very bad habit of flooring the throttle in one go and then I tend to refuse to let go of it.

I discussed this with Chris last week and he recommended I get the delta timer up to see what damage I was doing to the lap. And it has begun to pay off.

Rasmus taught me to take telemetry detail seriously and after looking at my throttle overlays I noticed that I had just two throttle states : on or off ! Two days ago I began to force myself to listen to the Nissan on the exits, and it is there, when I floor it, the car slows down despite my carefully cultivated apex speed.

Another thing I am just starting to understand is how much front/rear slip and where: Rasmus' LUT on the FFB has given me the tools to feel that. The curbs feel amazing now, the exits and entries are defined experiences.

The CSP, Sol and physics additions to the game allow the scene to be so accurate that it is possible to see markers from afar and at high speed - which helps consistency and confidence massively. I have SirSpats Gaming to thank for his excellent guides on how to set the jewel of a sim up.

Lastly, I feel the weight of privilege racing against the best drivers in the world here at RD. May I add that we also race against some of the most gentlemanly and generous drivers too. However psychologically I always drive my best race for me - I try to be the best I can be and rejoice in the deserved success of others. As a consequence I never compare directly to a person, but rather a laptime or the state of my tyres at the end of a race, or indeed how relaxed I feel driving hotlaps (I don't and I hate it). They are things I can compete with - not Golaith's like Chris or Dmitry or indeed anyone here.

As for the rest ? Che sara' sara' ...

Thank you once again! I really appreciate (and understood) it.

Yep! Although they weren't bad. It wasn't a surprise that the grandma died. She was 92 and getting worse lately.. She's at a better place now with more fun for her! :)

Ouch!! Rule nr.1: always practice with the server settings! :p

So... I setup the hotlap mode to the server settings and... holy sh*t I did a 1:29.204 with content manager telling my my theoretical best would be 1:29.002!
Did 40 laps, it was up and down, concentration issues etc. Getting a full second slower for 10 laps in a row until suddenly doing a very dirty 29.340 and then a few laps later after taking a short break, the 29.204!

Telemetry, video, setup all stored nicely for you ofc :)

That's gonna be difficult I fear... My rhythm is all over the place.. exam weeks at university so I just drive whenever I am motivated enough. Probably won't drive until the next race :barefoot:

I never liked it.. Felt heavy, weird, spongy, couldn't get a setup that I liked and quickly stopped driving it.
But I wanted to make my driving comparable to you and Ernie so I used his setup from the VIR thread, worked on it for 45 minutes and now I really love that car!
Should've used the GT-R for yesterday's race!!

My PB would've meant starting from P4 instead of P10 :D

Anyway, here's the video of my lap, setup is attached in the description and I'm waiting for you giving it a shot and also posting your telemetry! :)

Beautiful reply as usual, you always have something productive to contribute :p !

Here are my thoughts: I am glad things are ok there. Yes I do agree to be consistent with the server settings - feels awful though compared to here, but ... I will endeavor to work it in.

Can't thank you enough for the data - owe you a drink sometime :D

1:29.2 ?! :confused:

Congratulations on such a fast time - yes I would definitely offer a handsome price for the telemetry for that lap :D : I will give it a go and see if I can close onto that time at all (said he with obvious trepidation)... yes I do agree the Nissan is a wonderful machine (been reading some of its history)

Ernie has a knack for high grip/fast setups - the only thing is that under high throttle (my particular deficient style) they understeer on the exits.

On the serious side thank you so much for driving the laps so we (and I, being the slowest guy) can compare/learn.

No problem about practice - was hoping for some laughs; but that'll happen in the races I suppose :D

I kept racing the 650s for a lot of races now, and it really does help to get to know a car. I've spend a lot of time developing a base setup (mostly learning how a setup actually work because i've only been simracing for about a year now) witch just feels stady overall. It takes a lot of time, but it helps a lot, because you can be up to speed very quickly if you know how your car/setup reacts to certain kind of corners. Take VIR for example, it's a difficult track to learn if you never raced it. I drove VIR for the first time last week and got within the 1:45's (not to say that's very quick, but it's a decent time i think) within an our, that's not because i'm a skilled driver. It's because i have a setup and a car witch i'm familiar and can anticipate on.

Long story short. I agree with @uvraver John, setup is not al. But finding a setup witch suits you're driving style and getting to know a car can play a big role in getting faster

My approach to this is always the same.
When I started Sim Racing, I knew I wanted to drive in the GT3 class the most.
I took a track that I like the most from other racing games (I choose Imola which I used to drive a lot in F1 98) Then I took all the GT3 cars out for a ride. I didnt choose the car I was the fastest with, but the one that felt right for me. I had the AMG and Z4 close to each other, but decided for the Z4 at the end, cause I just had a better feeling for it.

Then I started putting some time into properly learning Imola and the Z4. I know in comparison to others its not much, but I only started in July last year. So I have 35.000km on the Z4 and about 9000km on Imola alone. After a couple of month taking this track as a test, I started to develop a setup by working on one aspect at a time. In the mean time I also started racing here, as one of the backmarkers. I checked my first race at RBR and I notices in my first race I got lapped twice by Chris.

Back to Imola, I was working on my baseline setup. I got faster and faster each month. Started with a 1:51 ish at the beginning, I am now at 1:43:9xx. Having developed the setup for Imola, that fits my driving style, I now take this setup for each new track and start from there and just adjust parts that dont feel right for the new track. mostly gearing and suspension. I still need to get my head around toe and champer.

Jumping forward half a year and into the last race, I already could see my improvement that can be summarized as followed.

1st race at RBR: Place 16/18
2nd race at RBR: Place 8/18
this race at RBR: Place 6/23

The best advice always givin here is choose a car, stick to it, get a baseline setup that fits your style and maybe overcome some of the negative aspects of the car and start practicing your ass off.

Cause at the end you only learn racing while you are actually racing. Luckily this entire community is not toxic or salty in any way, so even if you did a mistake and punt someone or block as a backmarker, sure people get pissed during or right after the race, but most of the time the day after everyone is constructively working on making things better on both ends. Like how to lap and how to get lapped properly.

Thats the fun. And I already know that for the next race I have one punt for free on @Kek700 :p

Last edited:
My approach to this is always the same.
When I started Sim Racing, I knew I wanted to drive in the GT3 class the most.
I took a track that I like the most from other racing games (I choose Imola which I used to drive a lot in F1 98) Then I took all the GT3 cars out for a ride. I didnt choose the car I was the fastest with, but the one that felt right for me. I had the AMG and Z4 close to each other, but decided for the Z4 at the end, cause I just had a better feeling for it.

Then I started putting some time into properly learning Imola and the Z4. I know in comparison to others its not much, but I only started in July last year. So I have 35.000km on the Z4 and about 9000km on Imola alone. After a couple of month taking this track as a test, I started to develop a setup by working on one aspect at a time. In the mean time I also started racing here, as one of the backmarkers. I checked my first race at RBR and I notices in my first race I got lapped twice by Chris.

Back to Imola, I was working on my baseline setup. I got faster and faster each month. Started with a 1:51 ish at the beginning, I am now at 1:43:9xx. Having developed the setup for Imola, that fits my driving style, I now take this setup for each new track and start from there and just adjust parts that dont feel right for the new track. mostly gearing and suspension. I still need to get my head around toe and champer.

Jumping forward half a year and into the last race, I already could see my improvement that can be summarized as followed.

1st race at RBR: Place 16/18
2nd race at RBR: Place 8/18
this race at RBR: PLace 6/23

The best advice always givin here is choose a car, stick to it, get a baseline setup that fits your style and maybe overcome some of the negative aspects of the car and start practicing your ass off.

Cause at the end you only learn racing while you are actually racing. Luckily this entire community is not toxic or salty in any way, so even if you did a mistake and put someone or block as a backmarker, sure people get pissed during or right after the race, but most of the time the day after everyone is constructively working on making things better on both ends. Like how to lap and how to get lapped properly.

Thats the fun. And I already know that for the next race I have one punt for free on @Kek700 :p
Cheers Stefan, Fantastic, correct and helpful answer in every respect - what can I say but thanks @random2k4 (as well as congratulations upon your successes)? There is always a certain clarity in the description when one has been throught he toil oneself ... I especially note down the procedure you used for myself, I think it is quite valuable.

Last edited:
Unless you're comparing the speeds using Chris' streams, that might be way off. AC does not show the current speed of other cars absolutely correctly in multiplayer (both live and in the replay). The difference vs reality can easily be very significant.

Here's the exact same spot, exiting T1 at VIR, lap #2:

Chris' stream, his speed is 105.
tSdJj7c.jpg

My race replay, his speed is shown as 81 :confused:.
taCkRmf.jpg

And here's the video from the replay

You can see Chris applying full throttle, but the speed still goes down (no pun intended) nevertheless. It's like if the speed data is lagging behind quite a bit

Last edited:
Unless you're comparing the speeds using Chris' streams, that might be way off. AC does not show the current speed of other cars absolutely correctly in multiplayer (both live and in the replay). The difference vs reality can easily be very significant.

Here's the exact same spot, exiting T1 at VIR, lap #2:

Chris' stream, his speed is 105.
tSdJj7c.jpg

My race replay, his speed is shown as 81 :confused:.
taCkRmf.jpg

And here's the video from the replay

You can see Chris applying full throttle, but the speed still goes down (no pun intended) nevertheless. It's like if the speed data is lagging behind quite a bit

Very useful to know indeed - do you know if that is true of the motec dump as well ?

We can never get too much practice (one reason I like to know the next track as early as possible,) unless we don't know what we're doing. Coaching helps to understand what we are doing wrong. :thumbsup:

I spend the whole week practicing every day, and have begun to focus on accuracy of my driving line more than speed. I've also been working on consistency: trying to hit the same brake point / turn in point/ throttle pickup for each lap. It's a lot of mental work, and easy to lose focus.

During the last race I adjusted the game volume and checked the texts on my phone twice mid-race. I'll have to avoid that next time!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back