AC GT3 @ Okayama, Sunday 14th March 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
@demetri how do you a watch replay from that perspective ?
F5 camera, pan and zoom out using mouse and WASD keys and then switch to free-standing camera using F7

This is how close it was with mere inches between us, I definitely lucked out here
close.jpg

Last edited:
Hello guys, thank you for the race! I think I messed up with the tyres... I started with medium and 90 liters of gas and I have never changed tyres. Not the right choice I guess :whistling:
Usually, for one hour race, doing two 30 min stints on brand new softs is faster than running on mediums and not changing tires. That is if softs don't overheat and also not considering traffic which could become an issue if you get stuck behind a slower car on mediums after your long pit stop.

Also, full tank and 1 liter refuel is rarely the optimal strategy for mediums. You will be faster overall starting with 50% to 75% fuel and the car will feel much better in the beginning of the race. Most cars with full tank turn into sluggish turds and 488 is definitely one of those. The only benefit of that strategy is that you can pit at any time you choose, but there's also a drawback - if you need to repair the car your pit time savings go out of the window. Though this is probably not a huge deal here in club races with just 10% damage setting.

Last edited:
Usually, for one hour race, doing two 30 min stints on brand new softs is faster than running on mediums and not changing tires. That is if softs don't overheat and also not considering traffic which could become an issue if you get stuck behind a slower car on mediums after your long pit stop.

I generally agree with this, but it's interesting to see how perception has changed over the years. Two years ago a lot of people were calling 1l fuel only the best strategy, now people generally think the softs are better. I think the truth is that those at the front have generally just got better at using the softs -- I for one was not very good at that two years ago. :)

The truth is it's very track and temperature dependent. As a random example, Kyalami is strong with the softs, but if they overheat then you are absolutely toast for the whole race, it's very hard to cool them down again, so mediums tends to be the better strategy there when it's hotter. On the other hand, if it's cool enough that they don't overheat, the softs are definitely a lot faster.

Last edited:
I was completely at the inside, on the kerb, almost already skidding on the floor, kept my steering lock and you moved another inch towards the inside and spun.
I thought about telling you that on discord and to continue without waiting but nah, I always wait :)
This could be one of those cases when running with a high FOV changes the perception.

Cockpit view with 49° FOV:
49.jpg

Clearly looks like Nissan is riding the curb, right?

Wrong! Outside camera at the same exact moment:
outside.jpg

Last edited:
This could be one of those cases when running with a high FOV changes the perception.

Cockpit view with 49° FOV:
View attachment 455088
Clearly looks like Nissan is riding the curb, right?

Wrong! Outside camera at the same exact moment:
View attachment 455089
You're absolutely right! Fov distortion can make things look very different from different perspectives!
When discussing incidents, my first move is always to show the involved drivers the cockpit view of the other person and then a shot with lower fov from the outside.
Mostly, everything is said and solved then.

Thanks for not showing Stefan first going wide and then closing back to the inside though :roflmao: :roflmao:
I'm yet to watch the replay. It might be that it was my mistake there, I always first question myself for incidents, which is why I barely have any nowadays.
And that's also why I've waited :)
There goes my juicy rear end :D
My little Godzilla had a nice dinner yesterday :roflmao::D
Could be a bit of a ping issue form my side. Think that happens when you play from the US East Coast :D
Yep! I remembered that from the "know your fellow racers" thread so I adjusted to it and kept a bit more distance or tried to drive not directly in your slipstream. Some hairy situations though haha.
And sometimes frustrating when I braked to not hitting you and then you teleporting 5m forward and get a better exit :roflmao:

F5 camera, pan and zoom out using mouse and WASD keys and then switch to free-standing camera using F7

This is how close it was with mere inches between us, I definitely lucked out here
View attachment 455070

Just to follow up, I and others have looked at this and some other incidents from the same driver and have taken appropriate action to curb it.

That said, we all have bad days, and if I was the person being discussed I would feel really alienated being discussed in such a way without ever mentioning my name. Let's please leave the discussion of specific incidents for messages to the offender or to staff, and avoid further doing so here. :)

Last edited:
This is good to know. So that level of detail would be desirable? OK cool leave it with me I wasn't sure if it was a bit overkill but a couple of people have mentioned it now so I will see about adding it to the roadmap.

It would be a very interesting set of features to have, for sure.

I think most of us do give at least a look at stuff you don't really see ingame, like consistency values and sector rankings. And then, for example, the lap breakdown gives you an opportunity to crossreference time gained/lost due to on track events, or compare race paces on different strategies/cars for future reference.

If it's possible to have something similar to simresults in SGP, then I'm all for it :thumbsup:

Thanks for not showing Stefan first going wide and then closing back to the inside though :roflmao: :roflmao:
I'm yet to watch the replay. It might be that it was my mistake there, I always first question myself for incidents, which is why I barely have any nowadays.
Yes, he could've kept a wider line and there would be no contact. My point was not to assign blame (if anything, it's likely a racing incident with both of you to be at fault, hard to say in what proportion), but to highlight how FOV changes the perspective

Not wanting to "discuss the incident" with me and Stefan, I think we can both smile at it :)

But I'm finally watching the replay right now and it seems that @demetri has some inaccuracies in his replay!
Or not?

I'm confused.. So this post is about general AC stuff, not about blame or not to blame!

I know AC stores your own car and the closest opponents with higher accuracy than further away cars.

The question is:
Is this due to the ping issues of Stefan, do I need to check my physics thread in the AC app, is this normal?

Here's the same moment with FOV at 30:
I didn't want to touch the kerbs and make the front jump. Hitting inside kerbs often made me jump a bit wider so I tend to avoid going over the kerb and rather ride along the white line.

FOV_30_Contact_1.JPG

Last edited:
Not wanting to "discuss the incident" with me and Stefan, I think we can both smile at it :)

But I'm finally watching the replay right now and it seems that @demetri has some inaccuracies in his replay!
Or not?

I'm confused.. So this post is about general AC stuff, not about blame or not to blame!

I know AC stores your own car and the closest opponents with higher accuracy than further away cars.

The question is:
Is this due to the ping issues of Stefan, do I need to check my physics thread in the AC app, is this normal?

I didn't want to touch the kerbs and make the front jump. Hitting inside kerbs often made me jump a bit wider so I tend to avoid going over the kerb and rather ride along the white line.

View attachment 455134

I guess, if I watch again at my replay it would show your front touching my rear.
When I watched it yesterday, It was clear for me that you hit me, which made my car rotate and spin. Your screenshot, if its the situation right before the "punt" looks like netcode to me.

Thats one reason, I like to break a little earlier or switch lines when I am close to others. I know first lap is always packed and its difficult to do without giving cars in the back an advantage. But as Rasmus already mentioned its not for blaming anyone, just something we all need to take into consideration, that are some drivers with a higher ping on the server and we mostly know who they are.

Last edited:

Or not?

The question is:

View attachment 455134
overhead.jpg

Mine definitely looks slightly different with your car pointed a bit more to the outside. I think it is because of my 150-ish ping. I noticed that when you have someone from Down Under with a huge 400-500 ping they are often seen with their cars rotated in very weird way when they are turning, pointing 15-20 degrees to the outside. And they probably would see you the same way. This is probably a similar thing, but on a much smaller scale.

Honestly, I still can't understand how the magic of lag compensation works in simracing games. Just imagine this, 150+50 ping halved gets you 0.1s delay of anything your opponent is doing. That's a good car length and a half when going 250 km/h. It's a miracle we still can race close enough

Hehe yeah I had to post my Screenshot to proof I've never pointed towards the outside :D

I also admit that there was a bit of room for me on the inside.. I need to adjust my judgement to my 49° fov for these situations!

if its the situation right before the "punt" looks like netcode to me.
Indeed.. Maybe you warped a bit on my Helicorsa or view, which doesn't show on my replay.
Who knows...

We're both fair and skilled drivers, sh*t happens.
I think we had enough fun battling each others to make up for it :)
Honestly, I still can't understand how the magic of lag compensation works in simracing games. Just imagine this, 150+50 ping halved gets you 0.1s delay of anything your opponent is doing. That's a good car length and a half when going 250 km/h. It's a miracle we still can race close enough
Indeed!

Stefan can you check the situation with your Helicorsa opened? I'd like to see if that would show that we would touch each other or not. I mean right before we do touch, does it look like you would be able to go in front of me, instead of sideways into my front?

You don't see yourself on helicorsa in the replays so I can't check this..
We had similar issues with the Ford Transit race. That car is way too long for the Helicorsa code and people would hit each other during the races although Helicorsa showed they would be clear to move over!

Last edited:

Also, full tank and 1 liter refuel is rarely the optimal strategy for mediums. You will be faster overall starting with 50% to 75% fuel and the car will feel much better in the beginning of the race. Most cars with full tank turn into sluggish turds and 488 is definitely one of those. The only benefit of that strategy is that you can pit at any time you choose, but there's also a drawback - if you need to repair the car your pit time savings go out of the window. Though this is probably not a huge deal here in club races with just 10% damage setting.

Demetri thank you for your help, this was my first race outside the "usual" Assetto Corsa online. I was actually afraid of the softs overheating, I used the mediums and I couldn't get the front in temperature. I'll try next time, I arrived 11th but I had fun!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back