AC GT3 @ Okayama, Sunday 14th March 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
What would you recommend for the second gear?
View attachment 455413

Mine was:
1615916815891.png

Different units, I prefer km/h as being more precise.

I also see your 6th tops out at 148 mph = 237 km/h. Couldn't it go any faster? I think I was hitting 245-246 on the back straight in the race

2nd won't matter as much. 1st below 60 wont' bog you off the line which is the main goal to avoid. If you need second for the track you're on, set it to what's ideal for the track. if not, space it out evenly between 1st and 3rd.
On this track 2nd matters. I had to set it slightly higher than I would normally to avoid shifting to 3rd and back between T8-T9

Mine was:
View attachment 455437

Different units, I prefer km/h as being more precise.

I also see your 6th tops out at 148 mph = 237 km/h. Couldn't it go any faster? I think I was hitting 245-246 on the back straight in the race

I think I managed 149 mph (239kph) during the race and I was hitting the limiter just at the point I needed to start thinking about braking. I wasn't any quicker raising the 6th gear, so I was okay with that part of the gear setup.

On this track 2nd matters. I had to set it slightly higher than I would normally to avoid shifting to 3rd and back between T8-T9

Yep! That was a pain for me all race. I was revving out in second. Didn't have time to set up the gears properly pre race. Tried shifting into third but it didn't change the delta.

I think I gained 3-4 tenths after optimizing the gear set for the track. My initial set with more evenly spaced gears would run out of revs just before T7, T8 and T9

I’ve noticed the r8 is annoyingly sensitive to gearing. Small power band and if you’re out of it, doesn’t go. And if you get your rotation wrong in setup, rear burns up fast.

where I’m currently running we are doing 26c air and 33c track temps along with 200% fuel and tire and it’s really about finding a balance for race pace than trying to get hero lap in.

I’ve noticed the r8 is annoyingly sensitive to gearing. Small power band and if you’re out of it, doesn’t go. And if you get your rotation wrong in setup, rear burns up fast.

where I’m currently running we are doing 26c air and 33c track temps along with 200% fuel and tire and it’s really about finding a balance for race pace than trying to get hero lap in.
It kind of is, but nowhere near as bad as the old R8 was in that regard. And with all its quirks, it's still usually one of the top-3 cars on any given track. I haven't yet seen a track where it would suck big time after you set it up properly, but I think there're also no tracks where it would clearly be OP compared to the others, so there's that.

26C air means you run mediums almost everywhere (except Monza and RBR, where softs should also work just fine at this temp) and won't have lots of issues with fronts not heating enough. I'd say it's probably ideal temperature for the Audi.

And I never tune my setups for hero laps. I try to make them consistent enough for the entire race, taking into account balance change by the end of the stint due to rears wearing faster. I usually run a test race against AI to see if the setup works for the duration of it

I think I gained 3-4 tenths after optimizing the gear set for the track. My initial set with more evenly spaced gears would run out of revs just before T7, T8 and T9

It felt by eye like a was loosing 2 or 3 10ths a lap in the first left corner and then less momentum into the second another 10th.

Setup magic. It's real :D

On second thought though... you were in 488 which you can still rev past the optimal shift RPMs. In such cars, it's often OK to do that if it's just for 1-2 corners. I used to drive 488 before the Audi and I kind of miss this particular "feature"
You're absolutely right. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. I've made an ass out of myself, and I'm not fast enough to to change that on the track. I guess I'll have to keep plugging away and hope to see you guys in practice.
Relax, friend. In my brief time with this group its obvious that the people here are kind and understanding. I dont see any judgmental folks, just people who love racing. As far as i can see, you didnt alienate yourself at all.
Besides, if you dont come back then i wont get the chance to beat you. :whistling: :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 357 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 251 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%