Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Surprise! A new GRID game is heading our way this September 13th.

Having been heavily focussed on their rally and Formula One games since 2014’s GRID Autosport released, Codemasters have today made the surprise announcement that the popular franchise will be making a return to console and PC this year – confirming GRID 4 is set to release this September on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Featuring the usual mix of real world and fantasy tracks located across four continents, plus plenty of racing content from low power machines to Grand Prix cars, GRID should offer plenty of variety for players of all skill levels when it drops later this year.

GRID_SanFran_Muscle_4.jpg

GRID_Ferrari_Brands_Hatch_1.jpg

Although exact details regarding the depth of content set to ship within the game has yet to be revealed by Codemasters, the British development team have confirmed the inclusion of Formula One machinery, in the form of at the least the 2006 Renault RS06.

With the new title having been developed in conjunction with Fernando Alonso and his eSport racing team, players will have the opportunity to race against the former double World Champion and 2018 Le Mans winner in game, as part of the structured career mode the title is so famous for in previous iterations of the franchise.

“We are also delighted to work alongside Fernando Alonso who is arguably one of the world’s greatest ever drivers” said Chris Smith, GRID Game Director at Codemasters. “His experience and knowledge has enabled us to make improvements to both the performance and handling of our cars. We could not be more proud to have signed him both in-game and as a Race Consultant. We can’t wait for our players to experience the final version when it comes to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC this September.”

As well as the inclusion of Alonso, images revealed from the game also reveal Brands Hatch will be included in the base version of the title, as well as a selection of tin top machines such as a TCR spec VW Golf and various American muscle cars.

GRID_VW_Brands_Hatch_2.jpg

GRID is well known as a ‘simcade’ style game, and it looks like the latest release will continue that trend, but with leanings towards simulation in order to appease a wide variety of driving tastes.

“GRID as a racing franchise is revered by our community and we are delighted to bring it to the current generation of consoles,” continued Smith. “The game offers so much variety and depth, from the number of modern and classic cars through to the locations and race options. Renowned for its handling, the game will appeal to all types of player, from casual drivers who want a lean-in challenge, to sim drivers who want some serious fun”

The game is already available to pre-order, and it looks like Codemasters will be adopting the DiRT 2.0 approach to post release DLC, with space set aside for 3 ‘seasons’ of additional purchasable content confirmed during the initial announcement.

More news will follow, as and when it becomes available.

GRID_Shanghai_Muscle_Shot_4.jpg

GRID will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC September 13th 2019.

Stay tuned to the upcoming GRID 4 sun forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions about this exciting new game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

There was some beta release of Grid with VR support, I remember game looking darn good and very well optimized on flat screen, sounds like a good candidate for VR.
Of course if Forza releases VR, that would be every arcade, simcade racer dream come true.

Last edited by a moderator:
In this day and age we should be able to have detailed arcade physics, Its not so much comparing it to AC but rather saying, Its 2019, why has your base model not improved for 20 years?

I am still waiting for Codemasters to make TOCA Touring Cars 3 or TOCA Race driver 2.
The track list for Toca Race driver was awesome.Custom races & championships on single player if I remember correctly.This in 2005.

• Mount Panorama V8 circuit (Bathurst)
  • Barbagallo - Long, V8 and Short circuits
  • Eastern Creek - Grand Prix, V8, Short and Southern Loops circuits
  • Queensland Grand Prix circuit
  • Oran Park - Grand Prix, South and North circuits
  • Sandown Park V8 circuit
  • Gold Coast Indy 300 Grand Prix circuit
  • Symmons Plains Raceway V8 circuit
  • Philip Island Grand Prix circuit
  • Hidden Valley Raceway
  • Adelaide Street circuit
  • Bahrain - Grand Prix, Internal, and External circui
  • Spa-Francorchamps Grand Prix circu
  • Shanghai Grand Prix Circuit
  • Brunn - Brno Grand Prix Circuit
  • Hockenheim - Grand Prix, National and Short circuits
  • Lausitzring EuroSpeedway - Grand Prix circuit
  • Norisring - Grand Prix circuit
  • Nurburgring - Short circuit
  • Motopark Oschersleben - Grand Prix, 'B' and 'C' circuits
    Mondello Park - International, National and Short circuits
  • Zandvoort - Grand Prix, National, Club and Oostelijk circuits
  • Pukekohe Park Raceway
  • Istanbul Park Circuit
  • Donnington Park - Grand Prix and National circuits
  • Oulton Park - International, Island and Foster circuits
  • Silverstone - Grand Prix, International, National, and South circuits
  • Brands Hatch - Grand Prix and Short Indy circuits, plus Rally Cross track
  • Bedford Autodrome - GT, North, East, South and West circuits
  • Snetterton
  • Castle Coombe
    Indianapolis Motor Speedway Oval
  • Nashville Super Speedway
  • Dover International Raceway
  • Gateway International Raceway
  • Gateway International Raceway Road course
  • Laguna Seca Grand Prix circuit

Based on the short gameplay video, we can clearly see in-game "points" popping out when the player finishes certain actions like driving the racing line, passing an opponent,etc. I guess it is time to drop the unrealistic dream about the new GRID being a sim, pick up the controller, and play it with a friend if you are ever going to buy it. Maybe he/she/it will begin to grow interested in cars/motorsports and join you in simracing/track days.

GRID was an enjoyable enough arcade racing game back in the day. The career mode was good and the online worked as well as anything else (though at that time motoGP was probably the best online game).

The car handling was what I'd call unique, nothing at all realistic about it with a lot of cool looking sliding that would just slow a real car down. Some cars worked, others were terrible and I think the career forced the player to use those cars at some point out of pure spite. It was definitely a gamepad game too.

Wasn't GRID the game that introduced the rewind button into racing games? (I could be wrong, maybe it just made the rewind button popular). I'm guessing so as the trailer video starts in rewind. GRID career always needed rewind too because against the later AI, starting in a low grid position it was a fight to get through the pack.

I also remember some problems with later GRID games launching without any form of track limits, allowing players to straight line across grass and wall ride. Problems that persisted into the painful launch of PCARS as I remember - where the player could cut off the final section of the full Donnington Park track with no penalty.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. Personally, I like DiRT 4 and DR2.0 and the career modes in both are decent so there are reasons to think this might be a half decent fun racer. On the other hand, Forza Horizon 4 is already a great fun racer with superb intuitive gamepad feel and controls (best arcade drifting mechanics too) with a real ability to feel the difference between FWD, AWD and RWD cars and adjust them with tuning. It's hard to see GRID matching up to that experience but I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

We need to face it, a car game without engaging physics has no depth into it, doing laps in circle without the slightest feedback from the car won't bring any enjoyment to the audience.

And don't tell me it's too hard for the mass, millions of people actually play dota (for exemple) which it's way harder and more complexe (gameplay wise) than any simulation out there.

Sometimes we need to stop and reflect on our own journey. For most of us I’d imagine (maybe it’s not you, so forgive me) our first virtual racing experience was not a sim...it was probably arcade or “simcade” at best. Every racing game doesn’t need to be a sim, we need “feeder” games to get people (i.e. mostly kids) interested first in baby steps.

For example, with most people of my generation (80’s babies) our progression in racing games went something like this:
  • RC Pro AM/Outrun/Rad Racer (2D Arcade)
  • to Mario Kart/F-Zero/Daytona USA/Sega Rally/Ridge Racer/The Need for Speed (3D or Pseudo-3D arcade)
  • to Gran Turismo 1/Colín McRae Rally/Pre-Codies F1 titles (Arcade or Simcade using a gamepad)
  • To the later GT and Forza games (Simcade using a wheel)
  • then eventually to AC, RF2, AMS, iRacing, etc. (Sims using a wheel)
I’d bet there’s hardly anyone here who played games as a kid whose first racing game was a sim...and even if it was, how “sim” was it if you used a keyboard/mouse/gamepad? The point was having lots of fun, and subsequently your interest in racing increased because of it. I actually go back some of those arcade games and find I’m faster now when you think about things like the racing line.

The DOTA reference (or any strategy game) does not compare...I’ve played lots of those games in the past, it’s a different kind of complexity...mouse clicks to manage characters, resources and long term strategy =/= keeping a virtual car on the road in real time at high speeds with all four limbs while trying not to kill everyone else.

Forgeting all that I just said, most people just want the virtual equivalent of bumper cars on a track...and that’s what most arcade racers are at their core...something to pickup for 10 mins, have fun and relax and then put it down without a second thought. We have great sims out and we have great sims coming out...let’s be thankful. Have you (virtually) hugged a sim racing developer lately? :)

For example, with most people of my generation (80’s babies) our progression in racing games went something like this:
  • to Mario Kart/F-Zero/Daytona USA/Sega Rally/Ridge Racer/The Need for Speed (3D or Pseudo-3D arcade)
  • to Gran Turismo 1/Colín McRae Rally/Pre-Codies F1 titles (Arcade or Simcade using a gamepad)

That practically the evolution of racing games genre, back in the days they were limited by the technology so complexe physics was out of reach for most developers.

I am not insisting on RF2 or ACC level of complexity, Id like just something ala wreckfest or forza, something that give you some hint of how the car should react in a given situation without going nut with precision, something that let you learn something as a beginner, many kids started with GT and forza so I don't see a problem having another serious competition from Codemasters.

Enjoyable and educational at the same time, that's how I see a good car game.

Last edited:
Sometimes we need to stop and reflect on our own journey. For most of us I’d imagine (maybe it’s not you, so forgive me) our first virtual racing experience was not a sim...it was probably arcade or “simcade” at best. Every racing game doesn’t need to be a sim, we need “feeder” games to get people (i.e. mostly kids) interested first in baby steps.

I’d bet there’s hardly anyone here who played games as a kid whose first racing game was a sim...and even if it was, how “sim” was it if you used a keyboard/mouse/gamepad? The point was having lots of fun, and subsequently your interest in racing increased because of it. I actually go back some of those arcade games and find I’m faster now when you think about things like the racing line.

The DOTA reference (or any strategy game) does not compare...I’ve played lots of those games in the past, it’s a different kind of complexity...mouse clicks to manage characters, resources and long term strategy =/= keeping a virtual car on the road in real time at high speeds with all four limbs while trying not to kill everyone else.

Forgeting all that I just said, most people just want the virtual equivalent of bumper cars on a track...and that’s what most arcade racers are at their core...something to pickup for 10 mins, have fun and relax and then put it down without a second thought. We have great sims out and we have great sims coming out...let’s be thankful. Have you (virtually) hugged a sim racing developer lately? :)
Agree. When I first entered college, I saw different departments showcasing interesting stuff about their subjects. Chemistry department with liquid nitrogen rose, electrical engineering department with some robots and math department with beautiful surface plot and animated demos, etc

These are HARDCORE science subjects. Among those people who gave us freshmen a show were renowned professors who spent their life researching. They did the show with welcoming smile and they did the show without a single bit of condescension. Any of these subjects are much much deeper than sim racing, yet people in those fields are still humble and friendly. We always need games like GIRD, which are beautiful, cool, not so hard, so that people can learn about this fascinating sport. There is nothing to be disappointed. GRID is going to do what it is designed to do, and Codemaster is pretty good at that.

Every time I want to gatekeep, I think about those professors in my college, and I become humble again.

Wasn't GRID the game that introduced the rewind button into racing games? (I could be wrong, maybe it just made the rewind button popular). I'm guessing so as the trailer video starts in rewind. GRID career always needed rewind too because against the later AI, starting in a low grid position it was a fight to get through the pack.
S.C.A.R. - Squadra Corse Alfa Romeo developed by Milestone in 2005 was the first game to include the rewind feature (called in the game Tiger Effect)
See minute 9:47

That practically the evolution of racing games genre, back in the days they were limited by the technology so complexe physics was out of reach for most developers.

I am not insisting on RF2 or ACC level of complexity, Id like just something ala wreckfest or forza, something that give you some hint of how the car should react in a given situation without going nut with precision, something that let you learn something as a beginner, many kids started with GT and forza so I don't see a problem having another serious competition from Codemasters.

Enjoyable and educational at the same time, that's how I see a good car game.

There have been sim racing titles for just as long as I've been gaming (titles like "Indianapolis 500: the Simulation", "Hard Drivin' " and Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix series existed from as early as 1989) even though complex physics models weren't possible...but the basic handling characteristics could have been made more realistic IF the developers really wanted to (i.e. car can only turn this much at ___ kph/mph for example)...these were all design choices to make the games more accessible to all and subsequently sell more units. Looking at the Arcade machines as a reference: games like Outrun sold more cabinets and got way more quarters than sims like Hard Drivin'.

Arcade racers have always sold better and game developers are doing this for maximum sales at the end of the day.

I've read the interview released few days ago on GamingBolt, quite interesting things: 12 locations for a total of 92 routes. Every track that will be added in the future will be for free, cars are 69 at the moment. DLC will have cars and careers. If I'm not wrong you can play online when DLC content is used renting a car. Online will have a quick mode, just press a button and you'll join a race with map rotation based on the feedback of the players

This planted Grid in my subconscious apparently, because I've fired up Grid Autosport over the past couple days (after being away for several years). I gotta say...it is obscenely fun.

I play it on at Xbox One controller and it drives really nicely like that. On a wheel I think it would drive me nuts - physics are way too "canned". But on a controller, once you get the feel, it's great.

It's in that sweet spot for me - arcade yes, but depicts real motorsport and is completely devoid of the "dudebro" BS you get in the majority of arcade racers. It's also still gorgeous.

I know there will be many who will disagree with me on this one, because I know there are many race fans who don't care at all for this type of racing, but I personally would love to see Codemasters take another stab at the Drag Racing... Only taking it further from what they did with the previous GRID... And concentrate on a more authentic version of drag racing... They missed on quite a few things, but also had some elements pretty darn good with that Drag Pack.

Oh yeah, and next release must have VR!!!

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back