I give them my €4 with happy, also because they are italians like i am.
But unfortunately they actually are too far from the minimum standard required in 2018....
I cant even drive because i have a crash error when i press the handbrake to start...

To further expand on my previous post, there are a couple of things to address. I for one never really cared about graphics and it's not a secret that I still prefer the -now- outdated gMotor2 titles way more than the modern games, but I could give the denefit of the doubt for it running on Unity.

Now, Unity is an engine I like to **** on day in and day out because it's objectively inferior to pretty much any other engine currently on the market, it's used mainly for mobile games and usually the pc games running on it are often quite bad. There are few exceptions though. Go play (or just watch a video if you either don't have a military background like me or are not into tactical shooters in general) Escape from Tarkov. That game runs on the exact same engine, but it's 10x times better in all departments, from raw graphics to sounds to optimization. It's absolutely gorgeous to look at and pretty much on par with what other developers can achieve using something more powerful such as Unreal Engine 4, for example, meaning that even if Unity is objectively shite, some developers do actually know what they're doing and can push it to extreme levels, if done properly. Playing this on the other hand just feels like playing RBR with ReShade, graphically speaking. It's nothing to write home about and actually my good old rF1 looks a lot better with SRPL shaders added to my mods. And at the same time it sounds a lot worse than older games from that generation, which is baffling.

The physics seem to be all over the place, which again is astonishing (not in a positive way) considering these are the same people that were reknown for their RBR mods. I grew up around rally cars all my life and lived through the Gr.B days (in the late '80s-early '90s those cars were still allowed in local rallyies that were not sanctioned by the FIA), the Gr.A days, the Gr.N days, the WRC days, the S2000 days and now the R5 days (it'll be another 5-6 years before current WRC cars will be sold to privateers around my area) and I've never seen cars handling like that. It might be made with "simulation" in mind, but it just feels arcade to me, with some realistic stuff added around it. Unity as an engine wasn't really made for racing simulations to begin with, but still.

I can understand and to a degree even appreciate the effort that went into making this. But people waited 8 years for the "RBR-killer" that would obliterate DR from the simulation map, but this is like a comet. A rare event that happens once every few decades, is pretty to look at (well, in this case not really) but once it passes through there's nothing else left but a few satellite images and a footnote on an astronomical calendar in some scientist's observatory.

I'm all for people chasing their dreams as I try to do the same in the intimacy of my own life, but perhaps sometimes there are things that are better off if they remain just that; a dream. Working on a budget that is equal to 0 and doing this part time can't always be the excuse everytime a sub-par product is released on the market. This is not what the legacy of RBR deserves. And this is not something that I would reccomend anyone to buy.

The only good news, is that unlike some other developers, they all have real jobs that will still pay their bills so even if this flops hard, it won't really hurt them financially.

This is just pathetic. I don't get brownie points for spending years and years on something with nothing but PS1 graphics to show for it. People lose their jobs over lack of productivity. It's simply part of reality.

I am one for physics first, but this time around? Those graphics aren't even graphics anymore. I found better graphics in the newer POKEMON games!

Exactly. I mean if you take some screenshots in GRally and mix them up with some PS1 screenshots, you are absolutely unable to tell the difference.

gRallySim_2018_05_22_23_59_50_322.png
i-XM9cPJq.png
gRallySim_2018_05_23_00_00_19_415.png
gRallySim_2018_05_23_00_18_38_266.png
i-ztq2Zrf.png
gRallySim_2018_05_23_00_28_49_118.png
gRallySim_2018_05_23_00_29_17_760.png
i-QxpNdCf.png
gRallySim_2018_05_23_00_32_41_583.png
i-Smzdrvt.png

I will say simply. ditch the project. start with a stronger, more modern engine.

Any suggestions on that stronger, more modern engine? I was under the impression Unity 2017.4 is a pretty solid and modern engine.

Exactly. I mean if you take some screenshots in GRally and mix them up with some PS1 screenshots, you are absolutely unable to tell the difference.

gRallySim_2018_05_22_23_59_50_322.png
i-XM9cPJq.png
gRallySim_2018_05_23_00_00_19_415.png
gRallySim_2018_05_23_00_18_38_266.png
i-ztq2Zrf.png
gRallySim_2018_05_23_00_28_49_118.png
gRallySim_2018_05_23_00_29_17_760.png
i-QxpNdCf.png
gRallySim_2018_05_23_00_32_41_583.png
i-Smzdrvt.png

/QUOTE]

So glad you did that, cause that was such a ludicrous statement for him to make (the rest of his argument was fine, but I'm hoping the game will improve with updates). Sure, it's no ACC or Project Cars 2 in terms of graphics...but PS1? Seriously?

It doesn't really look like a PS1 title even if it's pretty horrendous looking by today's standards.
More importantly, I wonder what's supposedly wrong with the physics? Appears quite legit to me.

So glad you did that, cause that was such a ludicrous statement for him to make (the rest of his argument was fine, but I'm hoping the game will improve with updates). Sure, it's no ACC or Project Cars 2 in terms of graphics...but PS1? Seriously?
Some people love to exaggerate...even the claims about it looking like an rFactor 1 mod felt a bit exaggerated to me. There are certainly serious performance issues, and the overall look of the stages very much depends on lighting (which is the case for many current games - lighting can make a game look great or like crap), but it's certainly a far cry from a PS1 game.

And I don't think the rest of his argument was fine - there was the bit about starting over with "a more modern engine", which I pointed out and he chose to ignore it. Or the claims he could do better sound in his sleep, or that a five-year-old could do it better. In fact I'd go as far as to say his whole argument was absolutely terrible.

Some people love to exaggerate...even the claims about it looking like an rFactor 1 mod felt a bit exaggerated to me. There are certainly serious performance issues, and the overall look of the stages very much depends on lighting (which is the case for many current games - lighting can make a game look great or like crap), but it's certainly a far cry from a PS1 game.

And I don't think the rest of his argument was fine - there was the bit about starting over with "a more modern engine", which I pointed out and he chose to ignore it. Or the claims he could do better sound in his sleep, or that a five-year-old could do it better. In fact I'd go as far as to say his whole argument was absolutely terrible.
Well yeah the ps1 thing is a little extreme. Still looks terrible, sorry.

A 5 year old actually COULD do better spotter voicing. Maybe not all the sound, I meant more of the spotters.

General sound is, well, ow.

Maybe I just didn't remember that they went with unity when it was announced? I don't know. I couldn't tell anyways. I thought it was an older, almost DX7 like engine or something. With immense amounts of post processing, which Unity goes nuts with it seems in many games, so I guess that makes sense.

UE4 comes to mind as far as modern engine, but again, I didn't know it was unity. Some of the worst games (Rust Legacy) seemed to pull it off significantly better. I haven't tried every possible Unity based game, but of the many i have tried, every one of them had frame issues.

It's simple. It's not worth anything as it stands. Maybe with more time, but this is a bad presentation in any form of game at any price.

EDIT: Another engine that comes to mind, with it's many year development, is the Outerra 3D planetary engine. The idea behind it is to be able to quickly implement physics engines within across different platforms and progressively download procedural content (of Earth primarily, so the main geography and topography is there). Example: rFactor 2 physics code coinciding with Outerra's vehicle and air simulation.

Last edited:
Maybe I just didn't remember that they went with unity when it was announced? I don't know. I couldn't tell anyways.
You mean you didn't notice the huge Unity splash screen that shows up every time you go drive a stage? (As well as when you start the livery editor.) I guess it's either that or you haven't actually touched the game at all, despite your very strong opinions on how terrible and worthless it is.

I thought it was an older, almost DX7 like engine or something. With immense amounts of post processing, which Unity goes nuts with it seems in many games

You make it sound like if the engine is somehow responsible for how people use it. Yes, I guess people sometimes go nuts with post processing. Nothing to do with Unity, though, just with stylistic choices (likely bad ones), and also with your subjective tastes. You can go nuts with post processing in UE4 as well. Or in any other engine that offers post processing options.

I haven't tried every possible Unity based game, but of the many i have tried, every one of them had frame issues.

Again, this is certainly not something that is engine dependent, it depends on many other factors, notably on the general optimization and also on how likely the game is to have framerate issues in the first place. I haven't seen many complaints about Cuphead framerate, for example - and yes, that is a Unity game. And let's not forget the fact that even if you would've experienced framerate in every single Unity title, it still doesn't necessarily mean it's the engine's fault - corellation does not imply causation. There might simply be something wrong with your PC (the world of PC hardware is funny like that - no two setups are exactly alike).

How about we give them another couple of months or so? They promised there's quite a lot coming by then. At least a bit more content and an AWD.

Their biggest mistake was to create all the hype around the title. I was waiting for this thing since the earliest of announcements. So, harder was the disappointment. At first. But if they were significantly more modest about the whole thing and if they would reveal the results of their work closer to this time, I think the reception would be much less on the negative side of things. Let's just forget about how it looks and sounds (the forest stage is not too bad, by the way, and the animated trees are a nice touch). What's the most important is how good it drives. And in my opinion it has a pretty interesting physics modeling.

I think they should talk with the guys behind racecraft,so they can use grally physics with procedural generated tracks and a faster game engine...I think this could work for a 4€ game... procedural Rally game...

I think they should talk with the guys behind racecraft,so they can use grally physics with procedural generated tracks and a faster game engine...I think this could work for a 4€ game... procedural Rally game...
Apparently, someone is already working on a specialized rally stages procedural generation tool here. It would make more sense to use that rather than whatever is under the Racecraft's hood.

Nothing much to add, just want to say 8 years? This makes LFS dev team looks hyper efficient.

Depends on the development from now on. I lost any hope in LFS years ago, when they not-released the Scirocco and the new tyremodel they promised for years - and I have 24 British pounds invested in LFS, but G-rally is new and I give them the benefit of the doubt - especially since the price was what it was.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 17 12.4%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 14 10.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 16 11.7%
  • Friday

Votes: 50 36.5%
  • Saturday

Votes: 81 59.1%