Good DIY aluminium profile sim rig instructions?

Bez

All the gear, no idea...
are there any go to/tried and tested instructions for DIY projects using aluminium profile, I've found a couple but wondered if there was a definitive design people use.

Edit: or a good premade aluminium profile rig on sale?

Did a double check Kurt, and here the wheel mounted is rotated 45 degrees :)
21e3vqa.jpg

Upvote 0
Ha now i see it clearly;), it can be fully adjusted.
Made an estimate @motedis for the alu profiles and amount was 194€ plus 32€ shipping cost.
Just for the profiles and yes triple monitors and wheelbase. Nuts and bolts and other accessoires not included yet.

Upvote 0
Nice, which plans did you use? I don't dare order my own design yet ;)

Parts total is the same :) But, i did calculate accesoires. No triplescreen system. Im curious myself so I'll calculate the costs for revision 4.

Kurt, if you do happen to want to order this rev 4 rig, we might want go through some extra stuff in a pm before you order.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's pretty sweet!!! @William Geuze how does that compare to the previous iteration price wise?
Nice, which plans did you use? I don't dare order my own design yet ;)

Parts total is the same :) But, i did calculate accesoires. No triplescreen system. Im curious myself so I'll calculate the costs for revision 4.

Kurt, if you do happen to want to order this rev 4 rig, we might want go through some extra stuff in a pm before you order.

The one from ISR forums, as a base. Looking to mix various sketches to my own liking.
Maybe i can have this profiles even cheaper going local.
Ordering is not for the 1st month yet i think.

Upvote 0
The one from ISR forums, as a base. Looking to mix various sketches to my own liking.
Maybe i can have this profiles even cheaper going local.
Ordering is not for the 1st month yet i think.
Good idea, every part fits together easily anyway. I didnt have too much luck finding local sources strangely enough. I do hope to place an order within two months :)

Upvote 0
Knowing dimensions is handy for any rig design for sure. If you get actual meaurements I can check if it will fit in my design (using a corbeau sprint size s), or, can partially build the design from isr and see if it fits there. I wouldn't expect big issues though.

edit:
I have calculated pricing for JUST the profiles for my latest version of the rig design.

Code:
     Profile 45x45L B-Type slot 10
Length:     6m: ( 2 x 1600 ; 4 x 600 ; 1 x 225 ; R:69 )
    48,02 €     48,02 €     Delete
    Profile 45x90L B-Type slot 10
Maschining:     - / -
Length:     700 mm
    12,15 €     24,30 €     Delete
Length:     6m: ( 1 x 225 ; 9 x 500 ; 3 x 300 ; R:221 )
    48,02 €     48,02 €     Delete
Length:     3m: ( 3 x 590 ; 3 x 300 ; R:232 )
    24,01 €     24,01 €     Delete
Length:     500 mm
    3,78 €     3,78 €     Delete
plus MwSt. 19%: 28,14 €
Sub-total: 176,27 €
Motedis UG: Best Way: 15,00 €

This is just a quick calculation. However, I see room for improvement. I will investigate tomorrow how I can have this fabricated the most efficient way. Right now it probably isn't. For example, some of the remainder of material (the R values) are very close to the sizes of some parts. Hmmm.
So, I will set myself a challenge. By tomorrow evening I hope to have found the most cost and material efficient way of ordering the parts. I will also change the design to reflect this. This way there should be no guessing involved any longer when parts need ordering. I also will do a separate calculation for an even more budget friendly version by removing some parts from the rig. This isn't what I'd do personally, but I'm interested to see the savings which can be, if I'm correct, in the 30 to 50 euro range or over.

I think a new revision will be included as well to reflect the calculations for both, checked for errors this time ;) Really glad this design is taking on its final shape, and it is about time as well.

edit2:
another idea, I might reduce the total footprint of the rig even more, because I noticed a standard profile length pretty close to the length of my side rails, hmmm, opportunities... Also, my idea of removing some parts for a more budget option. I didn't calculate what you save on profile, but I did see what you can save concerning brackets, which is already almost 7 euro's, together with the profiles and t-nuts, you might be looking at a savings which essentially pay shipping costs :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have looked for that part before but never found it actually..

Something else, I did some calculations again. This time I did order everything you need to build the rev4 rig. Soon to be cheesily dubbed the 'AluRevs' rig :p

I did make the footprint smaller bij going for a standard sized profile length, but it 'only' saves you about 5 euros. Which might not be worth the possible problems if you aren't a relatively short person (talking 1.75m max). I also added some brackets because they were missing from the plans used to mount a generic pedal set like a cheap logitech or fanatec one. I also added one for the steering wheel mount to have 4 for mounting, 3 seemed something fanatec specific.

10y30uv.jpg

It's not cheap, but not impossibly expensive either I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Indeed I haven't, don't really care for those to be honest. I'll include them next time though to see what they cost, also for the budget version. That will be later today though, enough math on this early morning ;)

edit:
oeh, for the heck of it I checked what the just the profiles amount to now, and it's 'only' 136,88, instead of the 175(?) previously :)

Upvote 0
Ugh.

Item brand seems excellent quality too. Somehow we had a dealer in my tiny little Cit, so unlikely

I think went our of business they don't return any calls. Grr

Upvote 0
Well that sucks...

New version of the plans with some additional brackets I apparently forgot to put in (steering wheel mount and pedalbox mount) and 1 additional bracket to mount the steering wheel. I kept the main side rails at 1600mm in my own design and will order them as such. the proposed 1450 is possible, but that will not leave any room for longer users.

There's also a 'budget' version without tilt for the seat and supportive parts:
10fx74g.jpg

hv19g3.jpg

A bit cheaper, but, even though I forgot to set shipping costs to the Netherlands, there is not as much difference in price as one would hope for. This is mainly due the smaller volume which I could hardly order any differently without much waste material you don't need but end up paying for (and receiving though). I also added the end caps now, and seeing how dirt cheap they, it is more economical ordering them along with your stuff straight away even if you don't necessarily care for them that much!

I checked my bankaccount today, I'm definitely not ordering coming month... When I do there will be a proper PDF guide to ordering and putting together the rig. Before then however, not a lot more we can do except to wait it out I'm afraid :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd look at that problem from a different angle. If you separate the screens from the rig entirely you have exactly what you want without changing the design :)

Funnily enough, photos of his rig show that Tonny hasnt constructed his screen mounts yet and is using the rig without them just fine, or so it seems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The site is cuurently offline and not sure if it is going to be alive again:(.
Would have contacted him for measurements and the lot.:)
Just have to come up with a seperate pedal base, like the 1 on motedis or some place else:p

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea