Global Formula Automobilista - Season 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not like there's another simulated series to do instead.
FFG returns watch this space

I have to agree, the level of prize money is stifling, but ultimately the problem with the game is the lack of meaningful strategy outside of "build power".
Game would be a bit more interesting if the power differentials was 0.04% instead of the fact that we still have teams that are 0.06% away from capping out after 4 races. I forget now but Red Night were capped before round 2? Round 3?
I think after two rounds of meagre results but still getting my sponsor, I had still earned less money that what DTK had in round 1. I understand that there's meant to be differentiation in the performance of the teams but it's just feeling so bad to be hitting targets and yet actually lose significant ground in pace.

I don't really get why there's a mid season patch for the gearbox either now. Now that just stabs me in the back for realising that upgrading it wasn't going to help me. Now I will have to burn 3000cr to get one to continue to keep pace when it's pretty clear I can't because buying a downforce upgrade really helped round 1.

Game feels unbalanced. I don't get the feel of risk vs reward ever happening. It's seems to linear to actually be able to find new, exciting ways to circumvent the problems from occuring.
It just seems like, oh you started behind, you stay there until you get to max power, then maybe rng will give you a good result or two and you can get some money to catch up a little bit because of the cost reduction.

I've been in both places, two seasons near the bottom and this season doing quite well. The things that have helped me out the most that I didn't get in season 1 or 2 was all down to luck. Especially season 2, I had multiple DNFs that kept me from gaining anything. I think I hit full power at the last or second to last race. For season 3, I have not yet had a DNF and have gotten full sponsor each race. But that's lucky I think, as I still expect many DNFs to come.

I like the idea of reducing the impact of reliability, especially when you consider how DNFs in this game compare to real life. We've had several races with half or nearly half the cars quit. I wonder if it would be better to allow the reliability value cover several races. Rather than increase chances of a failure after 90 minutes, how about after 1000km? Maybe give us a chance to install a new engine (not for free, of course) if we think the car is getting closer to failure.

I think the downforce and gearbox upgrades are great, but it is silly to think that a high gearbox works better at all tracks. Monaco needs lower gear ratios than, say, Monza or Sps. We should have the option to change gearboxes, providing we purchased the upgrade.

I will not debate prices because I think the tier system works fine for now.

AMS isn't GP4, Quali and Race stats aren't separate and there isn't much that can be done about it. This discussion is good though. It was supposed to be a test that allows us to mould it into the perfect series, and I need feedback and new ideas or it's just down to me to try and work out what people want. There are people quitting the series because they don't like some aspect of it, but it's nt like there's an alternative series going on to play with, and they're just quitting without giving feedback, which doesn't help improve it and make it what works.

The problem I have with increasing the price difference between standings places is that there still needs to be some advantage to being in front, the game doesnt become fun if it stops being a meritocracy. If I make it too expensive to lead the championship, people will just save their money and wait to drop down the order in the next races.

Perhaps a balance could be that sponsor prize money is multiplied by a modifier after each race, depending on your CC position. A team at the top will have any sponsor money multiplied by (eg) 0.5x, while a team in 10th will have their multiplied by 1.25x. It'll still be a worse sponsor for the lower team which can only get lower placings, but it's a way of stopping top teams getting a load of free money for an easy sponsor, and it allows lesser teams to get a proper pay day if they manage to hit a lowly target. Just an idea.
I did not say that its a standard option in game, but I think it can be used like in gp4, if the tool works for automobilista too, because of the same engine

Like I said I think there is a way: you have talent files
like gamedata/talentfiles ...idk if its the right place
first you copy here the qualy ones that will be used, launch the game run the qualy, you will have he standings after qualy, you can printscreen the standings here. Then.. quit the game delete or move the qualy talent files from gamedata/talentfiles then move there the race ones.
Launch the game skip to warmup and edit the standings according to picture what you made.

I would try this at warmup with this tool.. If it works for automobilista, then it can work like in gp4, but it needs testing. Also if it works only for servers, you can make yourself a closed server and add the ai there

Last edited:
I like some of propositions here, similar to what I wanted to say. Specifically about upgrades (what @rubaru said): what about instead of buying upgrade we have factory. You can upgrade your factory and each level gives option of changing downforce, gearbox, engine change. For example:
- 1level for factory is 500cr,
- on level0 you can change gearbox for some price and you can create new engine for some price (engine is randomized with power/reliability values)
- on level1 you can change gearbox for lower price and you can put your new engine in if you like the upgrade
- on level2 you can do all from level1 + create your chassis (you choose level of downforce rng says if your chassis upgrade hit that + some reliability value)
- on level3 you can do all from level2 + put your chassis on car

Other issue I see is prizes: finish position prizes already have big difference between them, I would cut those to be closer so that lucky 1-2 doesn't give more than 500cr from 3-4 finish. Maybe even going with 2000-1900-1800-1700-... On top of that, what about budget cap (at ~4500cr)?
Together with this, price per CC position was good idea, but I think those should be maybe in relation to points in CC. So if 1st and 2nd have 150 and 120 points 1st gets bigger prices than if they have 150 and 140 points. In later case prices are much closer.
And last is sponsor money, I went with "safe if you're lucky" option in last 2 seasons and it kept me around top of midfield. This season I decided to risk a bit more since I got luckier in start randomization and so far it works. But in both cases I think it was "easy" to get sponsor. I know this can get complex but what if sponsor depends of car level. So car with 1.1power and high downforce will get 1000 from podium sponsor, but car with 1.05power and low downforce will get 2000 from same sponsor?

P.S. About race length, shorter was fine for me especially if nothing is happening. :thumbsup:

@Sasha Jednak, a solid 1-2 and another brilliant race for your team at Magny-Cours, will you be sad to see the track disappear form the calendar in future seasons?
Still can't believe we won. Was very worried since we never managed consecutive great results. Now I'm scared what will happen in next race. As for track, there was not much action at the top this or last season, so even though we were in good positions after Q in both years I will not miss this track a lot.

Like I said I think there is a way: you have talent files
like gamedata/talentfiles ...idk if its the right place
first you copy here the qualy ones that will be used, launch the game run the qualy, you will have he standings after qualy, you can printscreen the standings here. Then.. quit the game delete or move the qualy talent files from gamedata/talentfiles then move there the race ones.
Launch the game skip to warmup and edit the standings according to picture what you made.
It already takes me long enough to record a race and modify everything, I'm not wasting my time with that much faffing about.

This game isn't Formula FG, qualifying will happen as normal forever.

I have had to Red Flag the race because the gearbox changes were being a real detriment to the racing. The Short gearboxes were too short, though the Long Gearboxes were now perfect, so I will change the Short ratios back to what they were previously and try to record tomorrow night. If I am unable to record tomorrow night, this race will be delayed until next week. I'm too tired to restart the race again tonight.

AMERICAN GRAND PRIX QUALIFYING
1606092466192.png

TWO STOP TRIUMPH FOR HEIDFELD
1606302549101.png

Nick Heidfeld became the first driver in GFA history to win a race for multiple teams after masterfully executing a two-stop strategy to jump ahead of everyone else. Nico Hulkenberg could have been with him battling for the lead if he hadn't been caught at the back of a pack of battling 3-stoppers that Heidfeld was escaping from. Nico ended up third, behind Falcon's Ayrton Senna, the highest placed three-stopper. He inherited the net lead after long time race leader Alexander Rossi had a high speed crash through turn 8b. NLE Motorsport got their best result of the season in 5th and 6th, while pole-sitter Stirling Moss lacked pace and ended up 8th.

MARKET IS OPEN

Interviews
@Kas. a first win for the season for you and the team, is this a catalyst for a more grippy car for the rest of the season, or is your strtegy working for the tracks you want?
@Márk Lintner, so close to your first victory, but equalling your best result ever must be satisfying surely. Can you make it to the top step soon?
@Andri Luka, your drivers didn't help each other by crashing into each other. Will you have words with them to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes