Giovinazzi impresses in F1 debut

Giovinazzi.jpg
Ferrari third driver Antonio Giovinazzi made his Formula One debut in Melbourne, replacing Pascal Wehrlein at Sauber. The Italian impressed in his debut appearance, leaving some to suggest this might be more than just a one off.

Giovinazzi finished his first race in twelfth, after qualifying sixteenth. The performance would have been impressive for any rookie, let alone one that only had an hour’s worth of running before qualifying. He described the weekend as “fantastic”.

“I’m happy with the performance I had,” he said. “It was a good qualifying. Today, we did a good race.

“There was no big mistake – just maybe the one in the first corner where I compromised a little bit my first stint with softs as I had a big flat spot.

“After the pit stop, the pace was quite good, so we finished the race P12. My target was to finish the race because the laps I did today were important for the feel of the car and the tyres.

“So I’m happy with the performance. I really enjoyed these two days.”

Giovinazzi had been attending the race as Ferrari’s third driver, his first GP in his new role, but that changed on the Saturday morning. Pascal Wehrlein had been running a limited training programme through the winter, after his accident at the Race of Champions. After the second free practice in Melbourne, Wehrlein felt he wasn’t fit enough to tackle the new, tougher cars for an entire race distance.

The late call to put Giovinazzi in the seat meant he only got onto the track in the new Sauber in FP3, giving him an hour’s running before qualifying, where he qualified just a fraction of a second slower than teammate Marcus Ericsson.

Though Giovinazzi did have some experience in an F1 car, having run in the Sauber during the first preseason test, Sauber’s Monisha Kaltenborn explained that the car is very different to the one he’d been driving at Barcelona.

“This is not the car we had at T1 (test one),” she told Sky Sports. “We changed a lot aero wise. It’s a very different feel. So he did a great job. Impressive.”

Impressive enough to be racing again in the near future. Apparently not, according to Kaltenborn. The team boss said any further running this season for Giovinazzi was not going to happen.

“We just had this arrangement in terms of replacement of a regular driver.”

That said, there’s now only two weeks until the next race at China and we won’t know until we get there if Wehrlein feels fit enough for the challenge of a whole GP.

For more Formula One news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

Do you think Giovinazzi should get a full time seat? What do you think of his performance? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below

Last edited:
He is one of the top drivers from Gp2 runner up to Gasly last year and he showed a mature head on young shoulder's I think he could be one to watch closely with a few drivers not performing at his level.

I´m from germany and i don´t like Pascal Wehrlein one bit.
Yes, he was the DTM Champion, but only because of team orders.

We have enough germans already in F1, a driver from italy is needed much more.
Hopefully Sauber dumps this wannabe racer asap and gives the seat to Giovinazzi.
He deserves it much more!

I´m from germany and i don´t like Pascal Wehrlein one bit.
Yes, he was the DTM Champion, but only because of team orders.

We have enough germans already in F1, a driver from italy is needed much more.
Hopefully Sauber dumps this wannabe racer asap and gives the seat to Giovinazzi.
He deserves it much more!

Yeah that's true, F1 is missing fast Italians at the wheel. Germany always had great drivers and Vettel will (hopefully) be champion again this year!
Sadly everytime I'm watching F1 I have this bitter feeling that one certain polish driver is missing in the field. Germany, GB, Italy, Finland or Brazil had so many great talents down the years and Poland don't have any important motorsport traditions at the highest level... Kubica was one-off talent. I really wanted to see him in that red Ferrari. :(

I think Kubica is racing in WEC so at least we can watch him. Such a shame.

I think giovinazzi and ocon did really well. Looking forward to more.

is it true that Stroll DNF because he was exhausted?
No Stroll DNF because he cant drive and ruined his brakes. Seeing him go round id be suprised if he will be able to finish half of the races.

OT: i was very impressed with Giovinazzi his driving this weekend. He is definetly one to watch.

I don't get how talent like Gio and Pierre Gasly don't get a drive and Erricson and Van Doorne and even bigger disaster Stroll get a seat all be it in a lesser team.

I hope Red Bull recognise that Prema team mates and good friends Giovinazzi and Gasly are the future of F1 as the older drivers move on or start to loose their edge the young guns need to be given their chance.

It's likely if they don't get a regular drive by next season they will both end up in another type of racing as Gasly has already signed up for Mugen in the Japanese Super Formula series.

Giovinnazi when driving in GP2 showed a lot of grit and determination as did Gasly but the decision for Giovinnazi to stay in Europe could prove to have been the right one only time will tell.

I don't get how talent like Gio and Pierre Gasly don't get a drive and Erricson and Van Doorne and even bigger disaster Stroll get a seat all be it in a lesser team..

Eh Vandoorne is a major talent, how finished 3th in his GP2 Debut and Breaked records in his 2nd year becoming champion with a record amount of points.

And to top it all of, he scored the first points for Mclaren in 2016 in Bahrain on his debut race replacing Alonso

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back