rF2 Formula 2 @ Istanbul Park - Mon 14 November 2022 *Setup Included*

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
I didn't blow the engine, but i know some mods where you can do it with wrong settings. Just a question from not knowing this mod.
Not my intention to talk about laptimes, just that i had no clue what to expect, sorry for that.
Really the only ones where you can blow the engines are like 1980's cars with crazy Turbos. Those ones you can run them at full boost for only a short time before the engine will get too hot and detonate.
Something more modern like this will just burn more fuel like this.

Not discussing laptimes is more of an unwritten rule than anything, aimed at not scaring away people from signing up if they see everyone going "Yo, how's my 1:28s lap" and seeing people going "I'm doing 1:20s" and then someone new realising they're doing 1:32s and not signing up. If you're down on laptimes the best thing to do is sign up and ask in the practice or testing sessions for help. Anyone can give useful pointers that can allow users to chop seconds off laptimes. I'll be racing an hour before quali, so if you want pointers just ask, or ride onboard with someone driving faster and see what they are doing.

@Jan Larsen @rockracer @Kamran Khan @Cosimo @Ingemar Petersson @Michael Rudolf* @Steve Le Gallez @ThreeLionz @akephoe @Paul_V @David Steinacher

Here's a new setup with less oversteer than before.

I have done some practice with the tyres to work out strategies for the race.

115L for fuel should get you to the end of the race.
Tyre wear is quite strong around here. Strategies will be interesting. The faster tyres are much quicker, but wear away fast. I could only get 10 laps out of the Soft tyres (although that might just be my driving style). Strategies to consider are these:

Soft-Hard
Medium-Medium
Soft-Soft-Soft
SuperSoft-SuperSoft-Medium

If you are good at saving tyres without losing too much time:
Soft-Medium
SuperSoft-Medium
SuperSoft-SuperSoft-Soft

Pitstops do not allow for fuel addition, tyre stops are stationary for 10 seconds.

Do with this information as you will!

Attachments

• x f2.svm
    5 KB · Views: 43
Oh dear... I was trying hard to see if I could make the race, but sadly it didn't happen.

They say " if you snooze you lose"
I went one better than that I was actually asleep!!!.

Hope you all had a good race

Hey, thanks for the race. Despite having no practice with car and track, I finished fourth. The only viable strategy was to slap on some hard tires and make it to the end, which worked :)

What a great car this is, especially with Edward's setup. Thanks again.
A minor tweak to the diff settings made it even better for me.

I'd love to race this car again. Austria would be perfect for them I think.

I also gave up, but for a multitude of reasons.

First; it was extremely difficult to drive, except when on the supersofts. Second, I couldnt adjust anything in the pitmenu which really screwed over my stradegy (I wasnt intending to go mediums all the race) and third, I crashed (from brain overload).

My race was going pretty well, managing to duke it out with the 2 soft runners out front, expecting them to hit a cliff at some point, but instead it was me who hit it. After the tires ran below 50%, all hell broke loose with the rear end. I went from 1:42's to 1:48's in the span of two laps, I even drifted all the way through T8 before pitting. Had I known that, I'd have gone for the softs, especially given the locked pit stradegy.

The car is good fun to drive and a proper F2, I just think the Pirelli tire moddeling has gone a bit too far :)

The tyres were fine...if you worked out where to push and where not to.
In practice I found I could only do 10 laps on the Softs, losing a lot of time as the FR was torn apart and I pitted with 3% left on it after three laps of no pace.
For the race, I decided to lift and not push at all through T3 and T8. These were the fastest left-handers, and were pretty soon followed by more high-load lefts. By keeping the temps down in the first part, they didn't heat up again in the next corners and take more heat out of the tyres. I was surprised to be the last to put of us top 3, especially as Jan was on the Mediums. Having got my Softs to Lap 11 with 40% left on the FR, I was tempted to try a one-stop onto Mediums, but I just mirrored the other two when they stopped to make it more of a race.
Took mediums for the last stint and managed to do 7 laps with only about 30% of the tyre gone, so I pitted for SuperSofts at the end when David Pitted too anyway.

@Jan Larsen did you use my setup? The Softs and Mediums still felt good on it, just were a bit slower.

These tyres fell apart if you overheated them, hence why a few spins would destroy the rear tyres. If you managed to keep them good, you were fine. There was one lap in the middle stint where David was first on Softs, Jan second on Mediums and me third on Softs. We got to turn 8 and Jan went from being half a second in front of me to half a second behind David, while the gap between David and Me stayed at 2s. I could see just from that one corner why you were having bad tyre wear Jan, for the reasons of overdoing it through 8.

These cars were tricky, I won't deny that, and the tyre strategy needed a lot of thought - much more than the "jump in and drive" method most of these rF2 races usually employ. However, I really enjoyed that aspect, plus it gave us some great battles. We went 3-wide for the lead down the back straight at one point.

To everyone who stuck around to the end of the race, thank you. It was a fun night and I hope you enjoyed it.

The tyres were fine...if you worked out where to push and where not to.
In practice I found I could only do 10 laps on the Softs, losing a lot of time as the FR was torn apart and I pitted with 3% left on it after three laps of no pace.
For the race, I decided to lift and not push at all through T3 and T8. These were the fastest left-handers, and were pretty soon followed by more high-load lefts. By keeping the temps down in the first part, they didn't heat up again in the next corners and take more heat out of the tyres. I was surprised to be the last to put of us top 3, especially as Jan was on the Mediums. Having got my Softs to Lap 11 with 40% left on the FR, I was tempted to try a one-stop onto Mediums, but I just mirrored the other two when they stopped to make it more of a race.
Took mediums for the last stint and managed to do 7 laps with only about 30% of the tyre gone, so I pitted for SuperSofts at the end when David Pitted too anyway.

@Jan Larsen did you use my setup? The Softs and Mediums still felt good on it, just were a bit slower.

These tyres fell apart if you overheated them, hence why a few spins would destroy the rear tyres. If you managed to keep them good, you were fine. There was one lap in the middle stint where David was first on Softs, Jan second on Mediums and me third on Softs. We got to turn 8 and Jan went from being half a second in front of me to half a second behind David, while the gap between David and Me stayed at 2s. I could see just from that one corner why you were having bad tyre wear Jan, for the reasons of overdoing it through 8.

These cars were tricky, I won't deny that, and the tyre strategy needed a lot of thought - much more than the "jump in and drive" method most of these rF2 races usually employ. However, I really enjoyed that aspect, plus it gave us some great battles. We went 3-wide for the lead down the back straight at one point.

To everyone who stuck around to the end of the race, thank you. It was a fun night and I hope you enjoyed it.
Yeah I ran it and it felt really good over one lap (the sole reason why I stuck it on pole) and the balance was fine until I started to kill the rears. I did notice I gained on everyone through T8 simply from blasting it through there, but it didnt do my tires any good whatsoever, so I calmed it down for stint 2. Did that for a while until it became boring and started blasting through there again :p
I'd love a crack at it again at some time in the future, I feel I have a score to settle with that car :devilish:

Yeah I ran it and it felt really good over one lap (the sole reason why I stuck it on pole) and the balance was fine until I started to kill the rears. I did notice I gained on everyone through T8 simply from blasting it through there, but it didnt do my tires any good whatsoever, so I calmed it down for stint 2. Did that for a while until it became boring and started blasting through there again :p
I'd love a crack at it again at some time in the future, I feel I have a score to settle with that car :devilish:
I definitely enjoyed these cars a lot more than I expected. I reckon next time I will do a Sprint and a Feature race instead (10 laps and 20 laps around here for example).

If I do find the time to run a League, these cars have unexpectedly jumped to the top of my list as a choice to run with!

Yep same here. I think my driving style didn't match with the setup. Single lap pace was decent but the rears suffered a lot, pretty much every corner. As soon as the tyres went below a certain point I lost it at every corner entry which killed the tyres even more. Guess that's what I got for having no time to practice and needing to learn a completely new track and car just before the race. Definetely a score to settle with this car.

Monaco...or the 'Ring. Heck, IoM even, that a f..... manly track. I like a challenge on top of a score to settle :p

Edit: On a more serious note - Baku. There's a good version out there thats been used for esports, according to Youtube...

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back