First Wheel

Hi Everyone,
I've been debating what wheel to purchase as a first wheel, I've been playing racing games for a long time now and have always wanted to get a decent wheel to race on. Only recently have I been able to afford to consider purchasing one.

My dilemma is what wheel to go for as I'm looking to start playing more sim racing style games having previously played F1 2017, F1 2016 and project cars 1 on controller in the last few years.

The logitech G29 looks like a good starting wheel my only concern is that i feel like after maybe a year of using this wheel i'd be looking to upgrade already. Therefore i'd end up spending more in the long run. So I'm unsure if its worth just spending more to get a wheel that i know i wont need to upgrade until it breaks (such as one of fanatec's entry level wheels).

If anyone could give me some advice especially if you've used a logitech g29 and fanatec wheels.

The logitech G29 looks like a good starting wheel my only concern is that i feel like after maybe a year of using this wheel i'd be looking to upgrade already.
Why would you need an upgrade after a year. Logitech wheels are very durable and have amazing value in my experience. You won't need a new wheel until it breaks.

If you want a cheaper solution try looking for a used version of the Logitech G25 / G27 on Amazon or ebay.

Upvote 0
My only concern is from the reviews i've seen a lot mention that the force feedback system can be notchy due to the gears. Because I've never used one i dont know if after using a G29 for a while i'd be wanting to get something that feels more realistic. Having used logitech before i have faith in their build quality, its just hard to know whether spending the extra money for a direct drive system is really worth the money for the improvement in feel.
thanks

Upvote 0
DSC09568small.jpg
Upgradeitis is a very real disease I went from Thrustmaster t150 to T300 599x rim to OSW and Asher racing button box in about 2 years, I think Iam cured now well I will be once I get them heusinkveld pro pedals to replace my fanatec elites LC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a G29 and have been using it for at least two years without issue. The force feedback is great for me while playing Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, Race 07 or Wreckfest. I do have to mention that this is my first proper wheel if you don't consider my old Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience that the pedals actually snapped.

Upvote 0
The G29 is a great place to start. It offers great value for money. You don’t mention whether it’s for PC or PS4. I did find the FFB a bit rattley on f1 2017 on PS4.. but for GT Sport and PC2 it’s pretty good..
I would get the G29 and go from there... good luck!

Upvote 0
G27 - G29 basically the same, only buttons, encoder and a rubber stuck inside the brakes are changed. From this type of wheel, to the monstrous OSW stuff... There's always something in between... Fanatec and Thrustmaster have lots of offerings.

Fanatec seems to got it all right based from things I have read. If I can afford it, I will grab one CSL elite. If you will check my one and only post (so far) I am rebuilding my G27, all for the purpose of performing like the CSL elite. And arguably similar in speed with direct drive wheels. It's all about the sensors and where they are placed... Thrustmasters wheel still have their encoders attached to the motors, just like Logitech G25/27/29... resulting in input lag, though very little on Thrustmaster compared to Logitech. Fanatec (like CSL elite) have the encoders attached directly on the shaft where the steering wheel is. Basically what you input gets picked up directly. Arguably same theory with direct drive wheels, where everything is on one shaft. Knowing a few things of what's inside the product you are buying does help a lot.

Lastly, your budget... from cheap to downright sinful expensive.... Logitech<Thrustmaster<Fanatec<Direct Drives

Your choice...

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back