Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Take a first look at the upcoming Aston Martin V12 Vantage and the mighty Spa Francorchamps circuit soon to arrive in Assetto Corsa Competizione.

Aston Martin are an incredible brand that are synonymous with endurance racing, just like the fabled Spa circuit in Belgium. These two pieces of content will be coming to Assetto Corsa Competizione once full version one status is achieved this May 29th, and thanks to having access to the press build during our recent adventures at Monza, we thought it might be nice to give you a look at what the content has in store once it hits the public build of the simulation.

Over the next few days we will be showcasing some gameplay footage from a variety of new pieces of content.

Want to see Brands Hatch, Barcelona, the new Lexus, some Porsche action and plenty more? Stay tuned to our subscribe and like our RaceDepartment YouTube channel over the next week for a new content video per day!

Happy Easter folks!

Assetto Corsa Competizione is currently in Steam Early Access

For more ACC news, head over to the Assetto Corsa Competizione sub forum and stay in touch with the latest happenings regarding this new sim. To join in the track action, why not register to participate in one of our regular ACC club events? Head over to the ACC Racing Club and sign up today!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Looks amazing, but sadly another nail in the coffin for VR users.
Tried the latest update and it's still not even close to being ready.
8086K @ 5.3Ghz all cores, 2080ti. - medium/low settings and 1.2 SS and still a 'muddy mess'.

I only race in VR, there's no going back to triples unfortunately.
Hopefully eye-tracking and foveated rendering will come in the next few years, but even then I won't hold my hopes for ACC being right for VR.

Thanks for sharing though, gorgeous for monitor users

Please stop lying. Why would you use such a low SS and settings when I can use 1.5 and higher settings with lower spec hardware?

EDIT: nevermind, just remembered you are the "90FPS locked or nothing" guy.

Last edited:
It's hard work, the complete downpouring is a nightmare online. Perhaps it's easier going on a monitor setup, but in VR you can't see anything. It runs fine, a bit of wet/rain dark nights are great, total downpours ain't fun.

I notice in that video when he swapped it out to 3rd person you could practically see the whole track:/

Please stop lying. Why would you use such a low SS and settings when I can use 1.5 and higher settings with lower spec hardware?

EDIT: nevermind, just remembered you are the "90FPS locked or nothing" guy.

Yep, I am that guy who expects ACC to be able to sustain the optimal FPS on a close to 3 year old HMD with very conservative settings on a high end machine.
Totally unreasonable I know, but if every other SIM title can do it with much higher settings and deliver a sharp and enjoyable experience, I will remain 'unreasonable' with regard to ACC in VR.

It's amusing that there's so many people angrily defending ACC when any other title would induce a witch-hunt if it couldn't maintain a measly 90FPS on hardware several generations ahead of what was available when the Oculus first came out.

I honestly have tried 45FPS ASW locked and how can anyone say that this is anything but a big compromise when you can literally see the blur created by ASW trying to do it's best to guess a frame.
Looking in the rear view mirror is so obvious, like someone turned up a motion blur setting to max.

Maybe my eyes are more sensitive to ASW than others.

Sadly the original AC with SOL is still a far better experience, although ACC has done a really nice job with how the wet track looks, and the FFB is quite authentic with how a real car would feel in those conditions.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just don't think that justifying the state of the game with anything other than honest feedback is healthy.
And yes, that's subjective - but that becomes more objective when comparing other titles and the differences are glaringly obvious.

I did my first 'race' last night in ACC, it was fun to see cars flipping on their roofs while sitting in the grid, and then seeing just how many kids are there to purposely wreck people like it's demolition derby.
I hope they really are smart about the ranking system, otherwise it will do what AC did and be a 'private league' only title.

but if every other SIM title can do it with much higher settings and deliver a sharp and enjoyable experience, I will remain 'unreasonable' with regard to ACC in VR.

Every other sim is several years old, and most are built on an even older engine. ACC is not only brand new, but also not even released yet; expecting it to perform the same as existing stuff isn't reasonable. That being said, it currently isn't performing well with that in mind, of course. Maybe it's just not finished being optimized, maybe it's how the full deal will be - time will tell, I guess.

It's amusing that there's so many people angrily defending ACC when any other title would induce a witch-hunt if it couldn't maintain a measly 90FPS on hardware several generations ahead of what was available when the Oculus first came out.

Many titles get released that can't be run adequately on existing hardware. IIRC a Microsoft Flight Sim couldn't be run at full detail on a consumer computer until a few years after it launched. Crysis required an insane build to run at its full potential. It kinda sucks, but ACC is hardly the first that doesn't run on 3 year old hardware at full chat.

then seeing just how many kids are there to purposely wreck people like it's demolition derby.
I hope they really are smart about the ranking system, otherwise it will do what AC did and be a 'private league' only title.

I don't have a solid enough schedule to race in a league, and I don't both with online lobbies for many reasons; that being one of them. Just a sad state of society, really. I'd rather race against real people but, in general, people suck so I don't bother. :(

You are the witch hunter, and a pretty good one. I think you are worth like ten normal witch hunters :)

This is really simple, in the end. I can enjoy it and you can't. Who is the winner here? :p

I don't have a solid enough schedule to race in a league, and I don't both with online lobbies for many reasons; that being one of them. Just a sad state of society, really. I'd rather race against real people but, in general, people suck so I don't bother. :(

You can find good racing in online lobbies. Just look for those with a SA restriction. And it will get better when more people decide to do the same thing, instead of going to the unrestricted lobbies because there is more people on them.

seems like there's no more ghosting in the shadows.
Damn the Bentley is so big (and beautifull)

eh? that was graphical bug? I thought it was my TV.

speaking of Big screen TVs and DPI, I'm running a 55" that does 4K@60hz or 1440P@120hz, 70cm from my face.
Even at this distance and size, DPI is not an issue. That aliasing is though (when playing at 1440P@120hz), but 100% sharp and crisp at 4K. If you have excelent eye sight, you can maybe see the pixels at this distance (70cm).

So, I recommend this size.

5S0Q87j.png

Last edited:
Answers in line:

Every other sim is several years old, and most are built on an even older engine. ACC is not only brand new, but also not even released yet; expecting it to perform the same as existing stuff isn't reasonable. That being said, it currently isn't performing well with that in mind, of course. Maybe it's just not finished being optimized, maybe it's how the full deal will be - time will tell, I guess.

UE4 was launched in 2015, so it's quite old. ACC is not using the latest updated version (4.22) instead making the decision to stick an old build. Given the mess they are in right now I don't think an update is a priority, as seemingly is VR.
I understand there are many more monitor players, but they are still really dropping the ball.

Many titles get released that can't be run adequately on existing hardware. IIRC a Microsoft Flight Sim couldn't be run at full detail on a consumer computer until a few years after it launched. Crysis required an insane build to run at its full potential. It kinda sucks, but ACC is hardly the first that doesn't run on 3 year old hardware at full chat.

It does suck, and why on earth would anyone justify spending money on a game that's developed for hardware in the future that doesn't yet exist, and looks mostly like trash until then?
Just because it's happened in the past, doesn't make it right now.

You should consider iRacing as that's been the biggest thing for me as someone with volatile sleep patterns and unpredictable days - I can find a race 24 hours a day, generally with considerate drivers (I don't race Oval only road).
Every time I spend time on AC, ACC, rF2 etc I enjoy the experience (ACC excepted) and it's not until I go back to iRacing that I realize why it's always my #1 SIM.
It certainly doesn't do a lot of things as well as it could, but it does a helluva lot of things really well.

You are the witch hunter, and a pretty good one. I think you are worth like ten normal witch hunters :)

This is really simple, in the end. I can enjoy it and you can't. Who is the winner here? :p

Oh, that's sad.
Resorting to petty name calling when your subjective opinions ignore the glaring issues with ACC.

I'm happy for you that you enjoy it, sounds like you feel you got a good deal for your money.
I don't, and I'd venture a guess that the majority who purchased ACC for VR would agree with me.

The winner here? Well, that's Kunos!

I'm happy for you that you enjoy it, sounds like you feel you got a good deal for your money.
I don't, and I'd venture a guess that the majority who purchased ACC for VR would agree with me.

Typical self centric attitude, if I think something, most people must think the same, as a matter of fact ;)

Seriously, I just had a thrilling race at Hungaroring, on VR, storm conditions, full grid, all really smooth. Something like this you can't experience it on ANY other sim right now. How would I not enjoy it? :D

The really sad thing here is that you can't control your negativity. I really feel sorry for you, man :)

But I also feel myself compelled to actively combat that negativity, because I really want ACC to succeed. Because I think Kunos are really passionate about what they do, and yes, I think they deserve all the success they can get. And you? Do you want ACC to succeed? Or do you want it to fail? Thats the question you should ask yourself! :)

When did version 1 (the fully optimised game) get released? I think at this stage the only complaint should be about full triple screen support, not VR. If v1 is released and you still feel VR is not up to standard then complain, but not whilst it's still in EA.

When did version 1 (the fully optimised game) get released? I think at this stage the only complaint should be about full triple screen support, not VR. If v1 is released and you still feel VR is not up to standard then complain, but not whilst it's still in EA.

I don't think (but hope I am wrong) we will see a big step on performance with 1.0. Little improvements maybe, but nothing to magically make it possible to set everything on Epic. I say this because it has already been optimised with every build. But they are considering (or already working on, not sure) upgrading to the most recent UE4 version, 4.22. That should (maybe, not sure) bring some performance improvements perse.

I don't think (but hope I am wrong) we will see a big step on performance with 1.0. Little improvements maybe, but nothing to magically make it possible to set everything on Epic. I say this because it has already been optimised with every build. But they are considering (or already working on, not sure) upgrading to the most recent UE4 version, 4.22. That should (maybe, not sure) bring some performance improvements perse.
Kunos said that (up to 0.7) they were focused on functionality, stability and the rewrite for multiplayer - now they can start on performance and optimisation, so I think we need to give them a chance. I will have a look for their post on this later.

Kunos said that (up to 0.7) they were focused on functionality, stability and the rewrite for multiplayer - now they can start on performance and optimisation, so I think we need to give them a chance. I will have a look for their post on this later.

I just think its better not to expect big improvements, in order to avoid disapointment. I'm positive about Kunos working on improving performance and optimization after 1.0, but they currently have their hands full finishing all the new content and all the missing features.

Typical self centric attitude, if I think something, most people must think the same, as a matter of fact ;)

Seriously, I just had a thrilling race at Hungaroring, on VR, storm conditions, full grid, all really smooth. Something like this you can't experience it on ANY other sim right now. How would I not enjoy it? :D

The really sad thing here is that you can't control your negativity. I really feel sorry for you, man :)

But I also feel myself compelled to actively combat that negativity, because I really want ACC to succeed. Because I think Kunos are really passionate about what they do, and yes, I think they deserve all the success they can get. And you? Do you want ACC to succeed? Or do you want it to fail? Thats the question you should ask yourself! :)

There's really no need to feel sorry for me, we don't know each other and I don't feel bad about my feedback on the title.
Regardless of your interpretation, it was honest and objective, a couple of concepts that you seem to be lacking.
You don't need to like my feedback, and I really don't care much whether you do or not.
This isn't personal, this is simply feedback on a SIM racing title.

There's a difference between negativity and reporting objectively about how things in VR compare to existing titles. The only way to measure 'progress' is to compare to 'history'.

It's wonderful that you are able to have this 'perfectly smooth' experience of starting with a full grid of cars in a rain storm and somehow not see all the things wrong in ACC VR that most others see.
You need only run a few searches to find that what I'm reporting is actually the majority feedback.
Are you able to be objective Jorge?
And by that I mean, true objectiveness, not wishful thinking.
How often do you race other titles at a solid 90FPS?
I'm wondering if your feedback is because you are mostly used to ASW?
That would make a lot of sense right now.

I too want ACC to be a success, it adds another title to my passionate hobby for SIM racing.
But there's glaring issues right now that I can't objectively ignore and bury my head in the sand.
I've tried every 'hack' or 'workaround' that exists, and I even tried hard to lock 45FPS ASW.
I want to enjoy ACC, that's why I bother taking the time to share feedback in the hope that Kunos will take action, assuming they are able to.

I'm not alone, but I'm guessing the overwhelming majority of VR users feedback being similar to mine is all wrong too in your mind?
I'm sure a simple poll would show this, despite the 'Kunos warriors' out there who vehemently defend things that are obviously broken.

Glad you are having fun Jorge, that's the most important thing after all.
I hope that Kunos manages to fix VR properly, and that I can join you in 'VR bliss' one day soon.
Cheers, and happy racing.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back