AC FAT-ALFIE's Championship with Audi TT and Mazda MX5

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Hi Han, i think the Alfa Tipo 33 will have the same issue as we were talking about the other day. It was from rf2 originally if you look at the description.

I assumed that a mod on RD would have been ok - otherwise why are RD allowing it in the mod section?
From the quick read I had:
This mod might be okay, because (if!) it was an original scratch made mod for rf2 and then got converted to AC with permission of the original modder.

It would only be "illegal", if it was an official rF2 content car.
Or if it would've been converted without permission of the original creator.

Edit:
Btw just because a mod is online at RD it doesn't mean that it's allowed. It can also mean that it simply didn't get reported and no moderator stumbled upon it yet.
So if in doubt (and you want to play mod-police instead of closing your eyes and using the mod ;)):
Use the report button and drop a little note :)

Last edited:
I think i will just continue to keep using my dubious origin mods. I just counted, i have 608 cars in my ac folder. Some paid for ,some Kunos, most of the rest from RaceDepartment but certainly not all. There is some decent stuff out there but of unknown origin. I do the same with tracks, if it looks good i download it. Why not?

I do the same with tracks, if it looks good i download it. Why not?
Not wanting to judge you and I personally think it's fine to use them, as long as you don't pay for them or actively support them (like leaving positive reviews).

Reasoning:
Because it's morally questionable to use stolen content just because there's no law enforcement and therefore overlooked and not investigated.
Imagine you would've put 1.5 years of your freetime into your dreamcar coming true, modelling it, paying for data etc.
And then someone takes your physics or your model, slaps some bad exterior or physics on it and uploads it for a different game.
And might even put a PayPal link in the download page.

I think it's a bit different if you rip official content from companies. It's similar regarding the laws but it's not morally hitting on the creator within the company imo.
If I create something for a company, it's not my property and I'm basically "done with it" and continue with the next project.

I agree completely. I for one will only pay for mods that are scratch built and even then from only a few well respected team of modders. Nobody should ever download or support modders who have stolen content for all the reasons you have mentioned. I do believe it has become a very grey area where even modders do not know the original source of some of the cars that are in circulation and it is impossible for most of us to know. Of course, some modders take with owners permission and totally transform them into excellent mods for free and i totally will and do enjoy their products. One last thought, many of us would probably not still be playing AC if it was not for the open source policy of Kunos and if in there wisdom they produce a product with the same engine as the ACC and close it to modding i can see AC being relevant for many years to come and i for one have no problem with that.

Just for the sake of perspective and balance, it might be good to remember that everything we as human beings do today is built upon everything that was done before with lots of copying and duplicating. This is how humanity developed. :)

Last edited:
Just for the sake of perspective and balance, it might be good to remember that everything we as human beings do today is built upon everything that was done before with lots of copying and duplicating. This is how humanity developed. :)
Edit:
I went a bit too long with my original reply :whistling:
Definitely a valid perspective, but I don't agree with what you said.
Imo it leads to justifying bad behavior for the wrong reasons.

I agree with Carsten though, not the right place and all important things have been said.

Last edited:
Guys,

I find this topic rather interesting and it has got me thinking about the use of "shady mods"
Also I (it seems carelessly) assumed that the mods on Race Department were all "above the board".

BUT:

I think this is not the right thread to delve deeper into this topic, so I suggest to move it into another thread and continue the discussion there.

MFG Carsten

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back