F1 Monaco Grand Prix Discussion Thread

I like that track... when playing automobilista.
Seriously, it has to be one of the most boring race i have ever seen...
still, happy to have seen ricciardo's smile on the highest step of the podium.

Well that was the race that had nothing...

No action, no strategy....
It is what it is. Well done to Dan though.
Red Bull has a slower engine that Merc and Ferrari and add to that even less power due to an issue....and really what in the hell is going on where the Ferrari can't get to the back of him....

Aero revision is what is desperately needed...

Not knowing whos gonna finish first 60 laps into the race is quite the opposite of boring if you ask me. If it wasn´t for Ricciardos problem and the graining I´d agree, but it was quite intense strategy wise actually.

On another note, I really hope this was a wake up call for Williams today.

Still not happy with Verstappen.

In the first overtake attempt he drove the opponent off the track, from what was probably behind (a foul) or at best wheel-to wheel ("racing incident"). It was up to the opponent to prevent an accident.

One lap later he does the same thing, it was up to the opponent to prevent a crash. While he was in front in that situation, he was effectively off the track and did not have the right to the racing line.

The difference between his crashes in the last races and today is not that he used restraint, it is that he faced an opponent who wanted to preserve his points and car, at the cost of a position.

I was gripped from the time Danny lost plenty of engine power till the end,amazing race.

But isn't that pointing to a problem?

A broken engine for half the race, and still winning?

This isn't like Senna stuck in a gear after dominating the race for most of the duration. This is a driver of equal behind him, in a car of slightly less quality before (now a better car), in DRS range for the entire duration of the broken engine run.

Did they disclose what broke?

Red Bull has a slower engine that Merc and Ferrari and add to that even less power due to an issue....and really what in the hell is going on where the Ferrari can't get to the back of him....

Aero revision is what is desperately needed...

Getting rid of some of the complicated drivetrain would also help racing.

There is such a huge difference between the engines, and so little difference in the entire rest of the car. It seems that Adrian Newey did his thing for this race and probably produced a 1-2 win here (sans Verstappen). But this doesn't apply to other tracks.

Plus all that nonsense with grid penalties for changed engine parts and random parts breaking that don't belong in a normal racecar in the first place, which adds little to audience enjoyment. Also, where is the MGU-K control in my new street car? I thought this is supposed to be relevant?

Still not happy with Verstappen.

In the first overtake attempt he drove the opponent off the track, from what was probably behind (a foul) or at best wheel-to wheel ("racing incident"). It was up to the opponent to prevent an accident.

One lap later he does the same thing, it was up to the opponent to prevent a crash. While he was in front in that situation, he was effectively off the track and did not have the right to the racing line.

The difference between his crashes in the last races and today is not that he used restraint, it is that he faced an opponent who wanted to preserve his points and car, at the cost of a position.
You won't give up will you? In this way you can go on and on and on! Max did great today!

He relied on going on collision course and the opponent backing off the mutually assured destruction. Twice.

I mean Senna did it, too.

Anybody behaving like this in an sim racing game club is in for some trouble.

This is probably the first time this year I'm proud of Max and the first time I agree with Appie:)
Max did great today and his overtake on Sainz was at the limit, but not beyond it. Sainz cut the corner previously so....Making up 9 places in Monaco is great, no matter what car you drive.
The Saturday of course is another sotry:redface:

Generally Monaco isn't a suitable racing track, it's a showevent like F1 in London....Such a boring race, I mean how can you win without 7th and 8th gear???

The track does not suit the current cars, or the other around, but... the very dull race was the result of the lack of any risk by the teams. Vettel and Hamilton could have switched to a 2-stop strategy and pushed hard till the end of the race. The maximum risk would have been to drop a couple of places down as Ocon was 25-30 seconds behind; for Hamilton it would only be a single place as Bottas could have let him go after Kimi and Vettel. Mercedes and Ferrari preferred securing a marginal handful of points and run around the track 8-9 seconds off the pace. At the 6th race of the season that is a pity. They can say whatever they want about tracks, cars and regulations, F1 won't get any more spectacular with such a mindset.

The track does not suit the current cars, or the other around, but... the very dull race was the result of the lack of any risk by the teams. Vettel and Hamilton could have switched to a 2-stop strategy and pushed hard till the end of the race. The maximum risk would have been to drop a couple of places down as Ocon was 25-30 seconds behind; for Hamilton it would only be a single place as Bottas could have let him go after Kimi and Vettel. Mercedes and Ferrari preferred securing a marginal handful of points and run around the track 8-9 seconds off the pace. At the 6th race of the season that is a pity. They can say whatever they want about tracks, cars and regulations, F1 won't get any more spectacular with such a mindset.
I prefer these strategies to Ferrari doing some ludacris bullshit and pitting Vettel with no chance of return

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back