F1 Challenge 99 - 02

I've tried dgVoodoo2 and it's the patch that works best. However when I press Start to do another activity it is impossible to return to the game. Is there a way to continue playing after hitting Start or some way to save the game? The only way to do this is between races in a championship, but if I have something urgent to do on the PC I can't finish the race first and then exit.

sorry, sure this was completely forgotten. it's a 17-year-old game.

I use f1 challenge WITHOUT MODS. (Fresh installation + tobacco skins from those years ... nothing more.)
I have the following problems. (I know some of the problems,..... but to these mentioned I did not find a solution):

1- in imola, (2000) the entrance to the pits is just before a braking, (the chicane, I mean: someone brakes to turn at the chicane, another passes at full speed to enter the box = massive collision)

1b- imola's pit entrance is VERY narrow (10 cars enter the box, 4 break the spoiler. This is right on a step on the floor of the pit wall - the engineers are- right in the entrance vertex, I don't know if Let me explain well, the spoiler is always at the limit of colliding with that when entering the box - left side-)

2-usually, from time to time, in some circuits (or all) this happens: when crossing the finish line the car stops abruptly, completely stopped ... this happens when I finish the race (position does not matter) I cross the finish line = the car stops, as if it hit a wall. (I look closely, I have plenty of fuel).
I usually cause a crash if a car follows me closely. in those cases I move away to one side. (... when crossing the finish line the AI takes care of my car and resumes the route)
this usually happens when there are "medium distance" races with pit stops, or short races of 14 laps with fuel consumption in x7 (which ensures several stops) ... I look closely, I always have fuel to spare, just It happens when I reach the goal. (makes it unreal) ... it also happens with Ferrari.:mad:

it also sometimes happens in simple and short races.
... and it also happens more in some circuits than others ...:O_o: (japan)

3-this does not matter, but it is ugly. in the year 2000 the pit entrance of suzuka, JAPAN, is just BEFORE the final chicane .... but IA (AI) cars ALWAYS use the old version .... after the chicane ... they cross the grass .. .they go through a wall ... and enter the pits as normal. (2000 = no old entrance = no asfalt...only grass)
it does not produce any problems, no crashes, no delays, or time gain ... it is just unreal. (go through a wall and grass) (even I can do it, but I prefer to go where it belongs)
I always use the corresponding actual entrance.

sorry .... and thank you.

Last edited:
sorry, sure this was completely forgotten. it's a 17-year-old game.

1. Imola with that pitlane entry was always an issue, but the AIW was surely improved many times, try this https://wookey.forumotion.com/t1512-imola-update or try the 99-02 seasons reworked by CMT, if it doesnt help ask in VB multimod facebook group for the track files u need,

2. Edit PLR file, the line that referes to control the car after the race end

3. Again AIW issue, same as 1.

If you are interested in online racing or F1Challenge in general join our server https://discord.gg/6BGj9HE

Last edited:
1. Imola with that pitlane entry was always an issue, but the AIW was surely improved many times, try this https://wookey.forumotion.com/t1512-imola-update or try the 99-02 seasons reworked by CMT, if it doesnt help ask in VB multimod facebook group for the track files u need,

2. Edit PLR file, the line that referes to control the car after the race end

3. Again AIW issue, same as 1.

If you are interested in online racing or F1Challenge in general join our server https://discord.gg/6BGj9HE

Thank you very much for the reply. ;)

you must understand ... I do not want anything that modifies "the essence" that is, the physics, the times or the historical realism of each of its seasons (1999-2002) that are included.

1-
that's why I ask .... in imola, the mod you recommend (imola update) can be placed on the default track ... or is it a new track?
change lap times? change the physics? change something else?
I just want it to modify the input path to the box.

1 B
i just tried mods cmt 2000
... and I didn't like it ... it modifies the game a lot, it seems to correct a lot, but it also modifies the game in other unrealistic aspects (tobacco skins in races that banned them, logos, effects and much more that I cannot mention)

2-
what you say to edit the plr, why? I do not want to control the car after crossing the finish line .... what I meant is that the car stops abruptly, and then resumes the advance (at that moment the AI controls it ... that is normal). it happens on some circuits ... from time to time, and more frequently in races with multiple pit stops.

to sum up:
-need please, if you can answer the questions about imola. It's essential.
Crossing the finish line and the car stops, I can tolerate it ...
the Suzuka thing, I hardly care ... it doesn't ruin the race, or times ... it's just visual.

thank you very much for your patience.

Last edited:
update:
I'm very sorry ... the one from cmt 2000 as I said, I was not convinced at all.
and the "update imola" that you put in the link .... is very good (I tried it), but it completely changes the circuit ... (totally redone), the times change, and it produces ctd when exiting ... ... it's very different ... the pit entrance is safe and away from the wall ... but as I mentioned above, I don't want to touch anything.

Thank you very much for the help.

finally ... and the most important and worrying::(

How much life does f1c have left?

I have windows 10, I don't even use compatibility mode, nor admin rights ... it works perfect as the first day.

but ... I have read and read ... many have strange problems in windows 10, others select compatibility for win98, and more strange things ... I do not want to alarm, but it seems the beginning of the end ... as soon as the windows "x" newer ... ( no win 98 comp = dead? )
an example of this is gtr2 and f1c, ... they create a save folder, in documents, not in the game folder ... (if you don't activate the admin rights) .....

... and thus a long list of incompatibilities that appear as the systems advance. again: how much life does f1c have?:(

worst of all ... is that I just discovered this wonderful, vast, complete simulator ..... and now they want to take it out of my hands.:cry::cry:

It wouldn't be beyond the community to make a re-make of this game. There are plenty of sim racing engines out there that allow modding. AC / Rfactor are just two I can think of. AC is probably the easiest, but anyway - other games have had community re-makes, why not F1C?

I'd like to see it go from 1996-2006 (most of V10 era) and a 10 year career in F1 is probably the average for most drivers. I'd contribute.

finally ... and the most important and worrying::(

How much life does f1c have left?

worst of all ... is that I just discovered this wonderful, vast, complete simulator ..... and now they want to take it out of my hands.:cry::cry:

It might be safe on Win 10 for quite a while yet but you never really know. For a game of this age to still work perfectly with the latest hardware and wheels like the G29 is great news.
Best F1 game of all time.

sorry I forgot to ask something:
Does anyone know what ".HAT" files are and what they are for?

(I had a bug, when I got out of my box the car fell to the ground, all the cars when I got out of the box fell to the ground ... the wheels caught and scraped the ground.)
luckily I solved it by deleting all the savegame.
methodically I started deleting one file at a time, until I deleted the ".hat" files and everything was fixed.

sorry but i don't think i saw that. I don't have the answer, but what I've seen is that putting those things into the game is difficult, I mean it's all "manual", file by file. some mods include these improvements, but only that, only in those mods.

Hi guys, lately I have gotten back into F1C and bringing it up to playable standards on my setup (32:9 screen, Simucube 2, etc.). One thing that bothered me a lot was that with the vanilla cars the mirror texture was very bad. However, I was able to fix it by creating a higher resolution bitmap and replacing all of the .scn files to include the higher resolution mirror texture. Feel free to get it from here:

I recommend enabling it via JSGME.

Edit: If you want to use this with other mods you will have to change the .scn files for them as well (can help you with that, just PM me) OR remove my mod, otherwise your mirrors might be screwed.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea