F1 Challenge 99 - 02

hello and again me:
I have a question, and it is very very important that you answer it with one hand on your heart (sincere), very specifically strict:

Is f1 challenge 99-02 an "abandonware"?

(Be careful, as I have read, very few things are abandonware, in general, even if a company goes bankrupt, the software is not abandoned, it only passes the license "to other hands".

if it is, can it be downloaded from any site without paying?

Last edited:
It is actually a blessing that people are responding and still making good things out of F1 challenge game. Keep it up please, we will be playing this game till forever.

What do you think about this? I have no idea, I need "advice".

hello and again me:
I have a question, and it is very very important that you answer it with one hand on your heart (sincere), very specifically strict:

(Be careful, as I have read, very few things are abandonware, in general, even if a company goes bankrupt, the software is not abandoned, it only passes the license "to other hands".

hello and again me:

F1 Challenge is definitely classified as abandonware, support for that game died yearssssss ago and is accessible to download freely, Luckily there are various mod groups who are still developing mods on top of the large pile of current ones available, As for rfactor its also freely available and id say also abandonware

MyAbandonware.com has got a partnership with GOG so it is not a warez site : they publish only abandonwares (any game is removed from their servers if studio/authors ask for)...Old Need For Speed 1-7, f1 challenge and RBR are available there...but not GT Legends or rfactor by example which can be purchased at GOG or STEAM.

Last edited:
EDIT

I am very happy that we talk about this issue, I would like this to be well public so that everyone "goes down the road" to make decisions with a calm conscience.

1 I just entered that site, it has f1c (they call it the f1 career challenge) ... and in gog.com there is no rfactor. (I did not take into account steam store, in steam if it is)
race 07 and gtr2 are not (in myabandoware) ... I guess because they are still on steam

2 all this above does not mean anything .... in myabandonware you can download a game .... like f1c ..... without the code. (EDIT...code included)
(as if they said: "I'll give it to you ... but I don't have the key") (edit: sorry)

If I download it somewhere else ... ("you know where" and "with a key included" :sneaky:) here I only indicate that they are very old games (like f1c) ... no gayracing, firza 4 ... project bugs 2 , etc etc...
is it just as legal as in myabandonware? ...

Thank you so much.

Last edited:
This is one of those grey areas and falls under a don't ask don't tell attitude. Rule of thumb over the years has been if a) the game isn't sold anymore and b) if the publisher won't be likely to enforce their copyright claim.

In a practical sense, what is abandonware essentially relies on someone distributing it and hoping no copyright claim comes in. This is very clear-cut when the publisher is bankrupt, ie Sierra games or Microprose.

Age alone can't determine this, for instance original rFactor is still sold in Steam store and therefore isn't abandonware.

On the same note, if the game is let's say over 12 years old or 3-4 OS generations back, and it isn't optimized for the new systems so it can work out of the box on windows 10 at any resolution you have, that game should be free.

I'm tasting the 1998 CTDP mod for the first time ... and I just saw something I didn't see in other mods, ... the flames from the exhaust pipe ... when downshifting.
I didn't even see this in the base game. (in a ".mas" file there is a series of photos sequence of an escape flame ... but I never saw the game use it)

really amazing .... is there any way to activate it in the default game?

If any of you drive the CMT versions of the 1995-98 mods there's a slight error in the diff settings for all the car's hdv files. You'll notice how unstable the cars are at low speed because it's essentially just an open diff. I'm not sure if it's in any of the other years, these are just the ones I've had the chance to drive.

error.PNG

The original CTDP mod is great though, sure takes me back. I did have to skip those custom menus :sick: which is why I was in the CMT mod for the icons.

I'm tasting the 1998 CTDP mod for the first time ... and I just saw something I didn't see in other mods, ... the flames from the exhaust pipe ... when downshifting.
I didn't even see this in the base game. (in a ".mas" file there is a series of photos sequence of an escape flame ... but I never saw the game use it)

really amazing .... is there any way to activate it in the default game?
poochihead, cristian luis...and other experts ...
you guys are giants ... I don't have the knowledge to modify.
Could you answer the question I asked above?

also. (as I am not a solution provider) I prefer not to enter the "wookey" forum, just not to be a hindrance.:thumbsup:

I only have a couple of questions: (in addition to the one I ask above (1))

2-the cmt mods (2000 ALPHA), they have many solutions that I want to use in MY own f1c installation (as I said so many times, I only use PURE and clean f1c, no big modified verifications)
it has 4 files "d3d9", and folders "scripts" and many other things that I don't ... that I am sure they improve the compatibility / performance
What files and folders can I extract from there, to use in any f1c installation to improve performance / compatibility?
(this is for personal use ONLY)

I mentioned it here: (it is true, but I was specific, now I ask if you know something else that I do not know and ignore)

3- the same goes for the mod f1c online edition 2020
it's true, the exe and 3dconfig make any mod work, no matter how old it is. (they have full compatibility with old mods)
but now I ask what else I can extract to use in my clean f1c. (improved performance and compatibility)

3bis- I can't use the 4gb patch exe, in that case I should remove the exe from "f1c2020online" that makes me run the mods. sorry.

4-the f1c 2020 online edition ". exe" whenever I use it in some mod (or the original f1c) shows only 6 cars. no, the ".plr" has nothing to do with it, I create a new player, I configure it to show the total number of cars, and even so the game shows 6 cars (they appear when I get closer)
... and no, I can't modify that during the race or qualifying session, or free practice.
(by the way ... what is the line in the ".plr" that modifies this?)

5-this is more a request, could you talk to "David_Emm" from the wookey forum (I don't want to be a bloodsucker) he made the HUD F1 DIGITAL + (spectacular) ... but I just wanted to ask him to make the hud (ESE hud) more "transparent "and" minimalist "since it covers most of the sky, and part of the screen is obscured by the hud (upper, lower is fine)
its hud is very good, but maybe with the transparency of the "olivetti" (ONLY the transparency) and with less ads. :whistling:

6-I did not find a solution for this: I use the soundtrack of the main menu of f1 2012, f1 2013, converted to mp3 ... but the game player does not go to the next music.:roflmao: you must turn off all "music" audio and upload it again. and there it goes to the next one.
(music lasts for a long time, it can be a problem)

finally .... this is not a request, just a suggestion, which could be very useful:

make a traveler "BAG":
where to have ONLY the newest exe, the newest 3dconfig, the newest scripts folders, the newest dll, and everything necessary (directx's and other things) for any f1c or old mod to start (those that need compatibility mode win 98, or those that do not go well in win 10 ... etc) ... to have the maximum compatibility. (of course also that the complete grid is seen, not only 6 cars)
in a "suitcase" to have just that. copy and paste. and play.

why ?: because in my case, (I don't use "other" f1c, only the original, and only the original mods F1 CK1996, HLT 1997, ctdp 1998, you understand me) .. I had to download several "alternative" f1c (f1 2020 online, cmt 2000 and other herbs) and get those files out of them to use in mine, and to boot old , as I was doing here:

in a "suitcase" to have just that. copy and paste. and play. It would work for many who download these mods on many blog pages, and do not know that they do not start well in win10.
(and they do not know that sometimes someone "rebuilds" them from scratch)

Thank you very much for all your help.

Can someone make a f1c anniversary patch as I did for gtr2 please ? you extract only 1 archive and you are good to go with enhanced base game...because it is complicated at the moment with all these manual updates...and some are incompatible with others :(

This is one of those grey areas and falls under a don't ask don't tell attitude. Rule of thumb over the years has been if a) the game isn't sold anymore and b) if the publisher won't be likely to enforce their copyright claim.

In a practical sense, what is abandonware essentially relies on someone distributing it and hoping no copyright claim comes in. This is very clear-cut when the publisher is bankrupt, ie Sierra games or Microprose.

Age alone can't determine this, for instance original rFactor is still sold in Steam store and therefore isn't abandonware.
yes agree, age alone is not the main factor as the best examples are all the 30 years old lucasarts games : star wars, indiana jones, full throttle, etc... none of them are abandonwares and we are talking about DOS games which cannot be run as is under windows.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%