F1 Challenge 99 - 02

VB is a great mod but it is a bit dated. More recent mods contain an updated 3d config file with high resolutions. Here is a 2022 mod that has the updated files CIR 98-13 ultra mod.
For triple screen I use SoftTH but NVIDIA software should work too. The vertical and horizontal FOV needs to be adjusted for it to work well.
The link asks for decryption key.
Edit: You can find the key on their discord.

Last edited:
yes me too and thousands of others. anyone have a genuine link to the so called "Windows 10 fix.exe?" The wookey site guy enjoys access to this great site i see, but you can't get access to his etc :whistling::(:poop:

Great news here!

8th gear has been finally implemented in F1 Challenge '99-'02, working for every kind of game mode, AI and functional with driving assists. This is possible thanks to Evilclip!

Evilclip is the author. I will share a Youtube video soon. The project is still in experimental phase, and soon there should be a final release. It will be free for everybody. The future release will be done here, and the EXE will be on almost any new mod to create onwards.

"Modding is not a job; it is a form of voluntary play. A modder may stop maintaining his mods or leave the game entirely, at his discretion, without fear of reprisal from an employer or unemployment. When someone leaves the game or abandons a mod, another modder, seeing one of his favorite mods going into disrepair, may volunteer to become the new owner. When the credits and "branding" are preserved, the user contributes to constructing the community. When it leeches (or steals) and strips away the original authors and identity, it destroys community in the mid and long-term. Especially long-term".

Last edited:
Hey, if anyone's interested, i made new sounds for every car for the original game. I dont know how to capture sound samples for use in the game, so i took sound mods from lots of places and made corresponding .sfx files for every engine manufacturer. It's on version 1.0 right now, and i hope to add even better sounds in the future.
Everyone who is involved in this is properly credited in each .sfx file.

Fi Challenge 99-02 | New Sounds 1.0

Hey, if anyone's interested, i made new sounds for every car for the original game. I dont know how to capture sound samples for use in the game, so i took sound mods from lots of places and made corresponding .sfx files for every engine manufacturer. It's on version 1.0 right now, and i hope to add even better sounds in the future.
Everyone who is involved in this is properly credited in each .sfx file.

Fi Challenge 99-02 | New Sounds 1.0
Thank you very much.

What I would love is an engine power fix. If I increase the max revs, let's say for qualifying or if desperately trying to defend a position in a race or set some hot laps befor pitting or whatever the case may be, it actually results in slower speeds than shifting early. It's like there's a drop-off of power at higher RPMs which is the opposite of real life.

I've noticd this behaviour in lots of other games (eg. GTR 2). You actually slow down if trying to use the cars' max revs in a lot of cases.

I'm not sure if the problem is down to the engine power-curve modelling or if it's some sort of rev-limiter that softly kicks in at an early RPM. For eg., rev-limit is 16,000 RPM; instead of rev-limit kicking in at 16,000 RPM, it kicks in softly at 15,500 RPM and kicks in more and more until 16,000 RPM).

This may not sound like a big deal but it actually is. Part of the fun is getting that extra power for lowering laptimes during qualifying or daring to use those extra revs during crucial moments of the race knowing it can affect reliability. It also just feels exciting when you get to use that extra power due to higher speeds and the audio involved too.

Take the Minardi, for eg. Go around Barcelona with stock setup. Look at the speeds during the last 25% of the main straight. Go back to pits, set the rev-limit to max, and repeat test. You'll see something like a 5 or 10 (can't remember) km/h LOSS when using the highest rev-limit.

Also, I believe there should be much higher increases of hp for all the engines between seasons.

Last edited:
hello can someone help me understand how to solve this problem only happens to me with the stagions: 1998 and 2022. Did any of you have the same problem?
1681768820281.png

Thank you very much.

What I would love is an engine power fix. If I increase the max revs, let's say for qualifying or if desperately trying to defend a position in a race or set some hot laps befor pitting or whatever the case may be, it actually results in slower speeds than shifting early. It's like there's a drop-off of power at higher RPMs which is the opposite of real life.

I've noticd this behaviour in lots of other games (eg. GTR 2). You actually slow down if trying to use the cars' max revs in a lot of cases.

I'm not sure if the problem is down to the engine power-curve modelling or if it's some sort of rev-limiter that softly kicks in at an early RPM. For eg., rev-limit is 16,000 RPM; instead of rev-limit kicking in at 16,000 RPM, it kicks in softly at 15,500 RPM and kicks in more and more until 16,000 RPM).

This may not sound like a big deal but it actually is. Part of the fun is getting that extra power for lowering laptimes during qualifying or daring to use those extra revs during crucial moments of the race knowing it can affect reliability. It also just feels exciting when you get to use that extra power due to higher speeds and the audio involved too.

Take the Minardi, for eg. Go around Barcelona with stock setup. Look at the speeds during the last 25% of the main straight. Go back to pits, set the rev-limit to max, and repeat test. You'll see something like a 5 or 10 (can't remember) km/h LOSS when using the highest rev-limit.

Also, I believe there should be much higher increases of hp for all the engines between seasons.
I'm under the impression that it depends on the modder. It can be fixed. However, as far as I know, the power of any engine starts decreasing once it has reached its peak torque.

I have a technical book about the McLaren MP4/4 (McLaren-Honda Turbo: A Technical Appraisal), and the power of the car starts decreasing at 12000 RPM (maximum 685 HP). Total RPM is around 13000. Maybe this is the key of the drop-off (?)

I'm under the impression that it depends on the modder. It can be fixed. However, as far as I know, the power of any engine starts decreasing once it has reached its peak torque.

I have a technical book about the McLaren MP4/4 (McLaren-Honda Turbo: A Technical Appraisal), and the power of the car starts decreasing at 12000 RPM (maximum 685 HP). Total RPM is around 13000. Maybe this is the key of the drop-off (?)
I understand that but I've been watching F1 for 25 years. In the naturally aspirated days, they were always chasing higher revs. In qualifying, the cars would run higher revs for more power and same in the race when someties attacking or defending a position. In F1 Ch 99-02, increasing revs just makes you slower. It's very unrealistic. Also, why is there the option in the garage settings to increase max revs if it just makes you slower and less reliable? What's the point then? I think it's poor engine modelling.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Does anyone have the complete version of CTDP 2005 for F1C 99-02? Other than the base pack (which can still be found), there was a service pack (expansion) and a fix for that pack. At the time, CTDP 2005 was the only 2005 mod with an expansion pack. Those two files are nowhere to be found, starting with CTDP's website. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have the complete version of CTDP 2005 for F1C 99-02? Other than the base pack (which can still be found), there was a service pack (expansion) and a fix for that pack. At the time, CTDP 2005 was the only 2005 mod with an expansion pack. Those two files are nowhere to be found, starting with CTDP's website. Thanks in advance for any pointers.
The 2005 service pack is pretty much the same as rFactor version, mostly skins, few front wing and body aero variations

Last edited:
Where to download the main CTDP 2005 mod safely? The version on fileplanet gives virus warning and the link on official CTDP site is broken.
UnracedF1 Jesper Heijmans mega backups

Wookey forums links collection

Our F1C Discord server

Last edited:
I understand that but I've been watching F1 for 25 years. In the naturally aspirated days, they were always chasing higher revs. In qualifying, the cars would run higher revs for more power and same in the race when someties attacking or defending a position. In F1 Ch 99-02, increasing revs just makes you slower. It's very unrealistic. Also, why is there the option in the garage settings to increase max revs if it just makes you slower and less reliable? What's the point then? I think it's poor engine modelling.
hey!!! something very strange happened to me today...:O_o:
(Whoever wants to read it or comment on it, I'm not just answering Spinelli)

I have F1C without mods
...all original (well, except for some graphic texture mods...but I mean...the tracks and cars and EVERYTHING THAT MODIFIES SOME OF THE TIME PER LAP...is original)

1999 season, trying to be champion with Mika....
interlagos brazil....what i do is do practice laps...and i look very closely at the rev lights....when i come out of the last corner..and i go full speed down the straight... until I reach the braking point of turn 1...right THERE, I look at what gear it is...and at what "level" of lights are on (in the first attempts it was in 7th gear, and a light was on on the dashboard of revolutions of rpm)....
I go back to the box.... and I adjust the gear so that ON THE LONGEST STRAIGHT (in this case it is the main straight)... I arrive (just before the braking) at 7th gear, and ALMOST FULL WITH LIGHTS ON BOARD, .... this assures me that:
-during the whole lap, the changes are short, and (especially in interlagos and its sector 2) it has excellent acceleration...
-...and when going out to the main straight...at the end of it I reached ALMOST the gear stop

results:
I'm even slower. 2 - 4 tenths of a second... but there are many variables... it's 1999, it's the McLaren,... I think the wheels get too hot (they're orange, almost yellow)
..I must say that in the main straight...I reached MORE SPEED (for reaching the top of gear)...but even so I feel that it is worse.

I have many questions for you:
-in the original game...what level of difficulty do you play? (percentage), in my case at 94% (NO MODS... I REPEAT NO MODS)

-I'm TERRIBLE in the rain, even with the right tire...I can't find a BASIC setup (yes, just that BASIC) to ride comfortably in the rain....I slide everywhere...and the tires get too hot (they seem to overslip when accelerating) and even with higher downforce the car slides too much (and the ai seems to go on rails)...any simple tips? (I have no idea about suspensions)

-You...in the qualifying lap... put the fuel ONLY for the qualifying lap?... or put it for 2 and a half laps? (this is what I do, I get out of the box (1 lap), I qualify (2 laps), I return to the box VERY slowly (3 laps)... this results in... fuel FOR 2 AND A HALF LAPS (APPROX)

I race at about 96% ai difficulty. I generally find that the F1 challenge has a bad front grip and won't turn in, so most of my setup changes are to get the front to stop understeering. Adjusting the diff lock and brake balance seems to do the most for me. I feel it is essential to use the back end sliding to make the car turn but too much rear brake and I spin out. It is hard to get right so I put the brake balance on the buttons on my wheel so I can adjust during practice. My tyres also overheat in the rain but I worked out that it takes a lot of rain before you need to change tyres. Stay on the slicks until it gets very hard to drive. It is a tire management game. And I always race full distance, and win by making clever pit stops and tire changes rather than trying to be the fastest on track.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 301 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 151 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.7%