F1 2020 TyreTempMod - Realistic  temperature, grip, wear, strategy

Misc F1 2020 TyreTempMod - Realistic temperature, grip, wear, strategy v1.7

Login or Register an account to download this content
yeah thats right, it only changed values in the tyre compounds XML, the fuel consumption is in the teams XMLs.

Not sure why you would see differences in fuel. I have not seen it myself.

Also not seen ai running slowly, maybe this is linked to the fuel consumption issue?
Well it's true that practice programs get harder due to increased tyre wear rate, but I haven't seen any fuel consumption problems actually it gets harder for me in 85 ai.

My only problem is still some teams make 1 stop in %50 races despite the update, and going 0 pit strategy in wet races still.

yeah, understand what you mean about softs, but if you decrease the wear the ai will always do a 1 stop. soft - hard

the problem with the game when running 50% races or less is that a pit stop is more of a penalty. The time to pit is the same for all race lengths, but you have less time to gain back any time lost on a pit stop. So it makes it better to run tyres at a slower pace than making another stop. On the version I am running now (4.2D) i think i have balanced this the best I can, just doing a couple more races before releasing. Its really similar to version C but do now see 2 stoppers overtaking the 1 stoppers in the last 5 or so laps. makes a good end to races

Hello,
is this mod working with realistic damage mod ? Would have been perfect for my realistic 100% career.

Btw, this mod looks so cool.

Should help make 2 stops more competitive with 1 stops on more tracks

Just wondering what was changed to make that happen? Tire wear was already very high, or did you just increase the grip of the Soft and Medium tires more over the Hards?

Love the mod, but I think I'm going to go back to the 4.1'ish versions. The tire wear in the 4.2C is just crazy. I can barely do 10 laps on Medium tires without getting 50%+ wear.

It's just kinda frustrating with the tire wear, and then tire temperatures, being so all over the place. I just don't even know what to expect from the car from turn to turn anymore.

What race distance are you getting those wear rates on?
If 50% races then that's 20 laps on a 100% distance.
And that's to 50% wear. The tyres last longer now so you could stay out to say 70-80% wear. So that on 100% distance gives you appox 35 laps for set of mediums (17 laps for 50% race).
Not knowing what track you were on that seems about right?
Also car setup has an effect, do you run standard setups. Dropping tyre pressures will increase wear, what pressures are you running?

I was finding with standard game wear wasnt even an issue. You could do a one stop and at both pit stop windows the tyres were at 30-40% and still had loads of life. Sometimes I would just stay on the softer tyre for 80% of the race. Tyre wear and performance were really not a factor in the game. The performance didn't drop off till around 60% and I never got even near that level of wear.

One of the aims of the mod was to give a sense of "will I make it" in the races. Watching the wear increase and deciding if stopping again is needed or can I hold on with this set. Also strategies changes through the MFD should be more common, I don't think I ever saw a strategy change suggestion in standard game unless it rained.

Understand your comments and thanks for feedback. Maybe we could have a version with low tyre wear to change things up. If all tyres last forever what would be the fastest strategy??

Last edited:
3 races on your mod on 100% races with my Mercedes career (Austria, Britain, Hungary).

Some problems to note :
- when there is a transition to do between dry and wet tyres, some drivers are putting on the wrong tyre and go back to the pits one lap after.
- a few drivers are pitting in the penultimate lap
- difficulty between qualy and race is very different (when I do qualy in 95, I have put 100 for the race).

Btw, I feel like I've no tyre wear with my Mercedes, even when my tyres are 50% used, my rythm continues to be fast and so better than AI cars. But maybe it's because of my way to drive or because of the car :) (seems better after the last update !)

Finally, to be positive, with your mod , wet drive is better optimized than the base game, we have the same performance as in the dry.
In 100% races the strategies are realistic (a lot of 1stop in Britain with Soft-Medium, 2 stops in Austria, and 6 stops in Hungary with rain falls :() and it's really fun to see how a driver who has pit. is much faster than those still on the track. The undercut is very interesting.

I'll keep it ! Have a good day

Last edited:
What race distance are you getting those wear rates on?
If 50% races then that's 20 laps on a 100% distance.
And that's to 50% wear. The tyres last longer now so you could stay out to say 70-80% wear. So that on 100% distance gives you appox 35 laps for set of mediums (17 laps for 50% race).
Not knowing what track you were on that seems about right?
Also car setup has an effect, do you run standard setups. Dropping tyre pressures will increase wear, what pressures are you running?

I was finding with standard game wear wasnt even an issue. You could do a one stop and at both pit stop windows the tyres were at 30-40% and still had loads of life. Sometimes I would just stay on the softer tyre for 80% of the race. Tyre wear and performance were really not a factor in the game. The performance didn't drop off till around 60% and I never got even near that level of wear.

One of the aims of the mod was to give a sense of "will I make it" in the races. Watching the wear increase and deciding if stopping again is needed or can I hold on with this set. Also strategies changes through the MFD should be more common, I don't think I ever saw a strategy change suggestion in standard game unless it rained.

Understand your comments and thanks for feedback. Maybe we could have a version with low tyre wear to change things up. If all tyres last forever what would be the fastest strategy??

This is MyTeam car with 50% race distance.

Part my last race race, the rear tires had 20% more wear than the fronts by the time I pitted. The Rears seem to be wearing much faster than the Fronts for me, and once the Rears hit around 70% the car pretty much spins out every time I apply throttle. Tire Pressures may have something to do with that, I think I lowered the temps a lot on that race when I tried to keep the tire temperatures low around fast corners (this race was Italy). I also typically used the standard setups with minor changes, such as downforce, tire pressures, etc.

I understand it's all a very delicate balance. I'll play around with the tire pressures.

Edit: Rear Tires were at 21.1 for this race where I had 50% wear at 10 laps in Italy.

Last edited:
This is MyTeam car with 50% race distance.

Part my last race race, the rear tires had 20% more wear than the fronts by the time I pitted. The Rears seem to be wearing much faster than the Fronts for me, and once the Rears hit around 70% the car pretty much spins out every time I apply throttle. Tire Pressures may have something to do with that, I think I lowered the temps a lot on that race when I tried to keep the tire temperatures low around fast corners (this race was Italy). I also typically used the standard setups with minor changes, such as downforce, tire pressures, etc.

I understand it's all a very delicate balance. I'll play around with the tire pressures.

Edit: Rear Tires were at 21.1 for this race where I had 50% wear at 10 laps in Italy.

Tyre pressures seem to be the key here. The way it works if you have a base wear value for the default tyre pressures. Then you can select what the wear rate would be for the upper and lower bounds. I have reduced these bounds from base game but it is still enough to make a big difference on a stint.
The 70% loss of grip means you have reached the cliff edge for that tyre. Each tyre has a different cliff edge, you can see when this is with the dotted line in the strategy screen at the start of the race. When the dotted line raises sharply that is the cliff. If you place the pit stop at this point at the bottom it will give you the wear % that this will happen. You can use this to plan strategies and when to pit before reaching the cliff.

Rear wearing faster than fronts is a mix of brake balance, spinning up tyres out corners (do you use traction control?) and differential settings. Certain tracks seem to be much worse than others for wear on the rears. Its interesting listening to the race on Sunday, many of the issues they were having with certain corners match what you see in the mod now. I think Codemasters have done a really good job modelling the temperatures/wear but then just didnt fully use it on the release game. I guess its that balance of making a game and simulator

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to create this and help make the game more realistic. Lack of tyre management and strategies in the base game really ruined the immersion for me.

However, I downloaded the mod today and really struggled with it. I ran a 50% dry race in MyTeam at Baku, and the tyres were just being shredded. I was running circa 5 seconds behind my average lap time throughout. I checked the stints on each tyre (for Ai) and can confirm the following:

Soft - 5 laps
Medium - 10 laps
Hard - 10 laps

Is this correct? I'm not sure I understand how the mod is expected to work - is it implying that the hard is basically a poor tyre choice around this circuit? How would you recommend testing this? Lots of running in FP, as I assume this changes track to track in the mod?

I was also really struggling to get traction out of the corners throughout the race. I ran medium, hard, medium and changed the brake bias and also the diff. Neither one helped traction on corner exit. Baku is rear-limited so my setup that I've been fine-tuning over the past 3 days has focussed on getting traction into the fronts. With this mod, it felt like I'd completely lost that.

And for me, the tyre temps are still fluctuating too much. The front-left is a problem child at Baku, but I struggled to get the carcass temps above 75. When I was playing on the base game, it was floating around high 80s.

I play with a controller and all assists turned off.

Overall, really appreciate what you're doing, just need help understanding how to best utilise it in-game.

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to create this and help make the game more realistic. Lack of tyre management and strategies in the base game really ruined the immersion for me.

However, I downloaded the mod today and really struggled with it. I ran a 50% dry race in MyTeam at Baku, and the tyres were just being shredded. I was running circa 5 seconds behind my average lap time throughout. I checked the stints on each tyre (for Ai) and can confirm the following:

Soft - 5 laps
Medium - 10 laps
Hard - 10 laps

Is this correct? I'm not sure I understand how the mod is expected to work - is it implying that the hard is basically a poor tyre choice around this circuit? How would you recommend testing this? Lots of running in FP, as I assume this changes track to track in the mod?

I was also really struggling to get traction out of the corners throughout the race. I ran medium, hard, medium and changed the brake bias and also the diff. Neither one helped traction on corner exit. Baku is rear-limited so my setup that I've been fine-tuning over the past 3 days has focussed on getting traction into the fronts. With this mod, it felt like I'd completely lost that.

And for me, the tyre temps are still fluctuating too much. The front-left is a problem child at Baku, but I struggled to get the carcass temps above 75. When I was playing on the base game, it was floating around high 80s.

I play with a controller and all assists turned off.

Overall, really appreciate what you're doing, just need help understanding how to best utilise it in-game.

Hi

Thanks for feedback. Can I ask you to download v4.1 from history and let me know how you find this version. I think v4.2 onwards is not for everyone

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.