F1 2018 F1 2018: Share Your Career!

F1 2018 The Game (Codemasters)

Chris

Premium
With the launch of the Official Formula One game for 2018 shaping up to have the most immersive and comprehensive Career mode to date, we want YOU to share your Career Mode experiences with the rest of the community!

3wide.jpg Alonso.jpg Ferrari.jpg Hockenheim.jpg Interview.jpg Overview.jpg Paul Ricard.jpg Sauber.jpg Sauber2.jpg Williams.jpg

Include videos, screenshots and anything else you think will best showcase the on-track (and off-track) action that you've gotten up to so far!

Last edited:
Mandatory Pit stop ? Maybe that could be the reason. :)
Btw, someone said "from p16 to p3 in race with Williams - so unrealistic".
Two things...
1) I didn't read he said he ended 3rd (or at any specific place, he must forget that. weird "review":alien:)
2) He was on ONE pit stop strategy all others were on TWO. That's where he got some places. That and obviously... game isn't very realistic. :D At least... for now. Brace for first patch I guess.

God, I hate those "three wide" moments. ~facepalm~
And he (and some others) keep pushing it like... "look, this is da best, the law!".
So unreal. Maybe it's ok - in da NASCAR.
And hate all those screams, like he's commenting alive as it happened, not like when he already saw it all, edit the video and then take a pop corns and start commenting. And still somehow he manage to be "surprised".:rolleyes: Maybe I'm just getting old... maybe that's cool for today's kids. :unsure:
Easy Choice, Don't watch it.

43346888185_bec793cc75_c.jpg

A tale of two realities for Loria and Makoto at Melbourne. I have to admit, the practice sessions were goofy as... Well, Goofy himself I suppose. Infact, at one session, it said that Brendon Hartley was the fastest man on the track! This is why I don't take practice into account.

For "Loria"... Damn, I feel sorry for her. What's F'd up is it started pretty decently for Sebastian, placing his Ferrari in third position next to who's already expected to be the title rival in Hamilton and behind myself on pole postion. And while he never had the pace I did, I wanted her to at least finish third so we could at least get an even footing with the Mercedes cars of Lewis and Valterri. Instead, the poor guy ended up having some sort of problem outside of his reach and finished way down the order in 16th, and only ahead of the two Williams cars.

For "Makoto"... For what it is, it was a success on my end. This car is somehow just as good as Yoko was (And that car took me to 2 victories!),and I felt impossibly smug shutting Martin Brundle and David Croft up on the track in qualifying as well. Shame then my race pace is not in relation to qualifying (That, or Hamilton turned the wick up in the race, one of the two). The entire second stint was me having to catch, pass and then defend against the Smiling Assassin (Who TWICE tried to go for the big dick energy move at Turns 11 & 12!) for third, which became second following Vettel's problem. Good weekend all around, but the truth is, I didn't deserve to win the race. Chassis felt unusually heavy as well...

Ok, my first GP ended not the way i wanted :D
I thought that i will be ok and well-balanced with 100 difficulty until FP3 , my best time in FP1 and FP2 on ultra soft was 1.25.1 , 16th in ranking and i had a hard time passing the practice programs and failed to have a good and consistent racing line on the track, but i found out that i have "Vsync" on for FP1 and FP2 (my monitor is 60Hrz)

so for FP3 i have turned vsync off in game, activated the fast sync in Nvidia panel and fixed the FPS on 100 with Rivatuner and start the FP3 and Qualy...

then my best lap in FP3 on ultra soft turned to be a 1.23.2 and 3rd in ranking :cautious:
and in Q1 i have set a 1.23.062 lap time on ultra soft , 2nd in Q1 just ahead of vettel on supersoft and hamilton and Ricciardo on ultra soft :confused: and for Q2 to creatd a better balance and realism i used Supersoft to not be so fast and i have set a 1.24.125 on supersoft for 12th position... and also the race itself was so easy and not enjoyable , an alone race in 5th position to the end...

i know the experience above not something new or unexpected as all simracers know about these thing about fps and vsync , but there is another thing, ERS , for me "Overtake mode" is faster than hotlap mode , not only for top speed(about 3-5 Km faster) but also for overall acceleration and exiting from corners! in australia i have experienced at least 4 tenth difference per lap just between hotlap mode and overtake mode

i have to raise the difficulty but i'm not sure what level i have to choose , i can use 105 for the next GP, but i think maybe i should restart the career with 105 difficulty to test it in australia to have a better comparison because now i have tested it on 100 difficulty

Last edited:
I'll do like I did in f1 2017, start at a lower team with easy AI then as the car developes increase the AI and possibly change teams.

Williams for me, for now ..

I like that the game gives you a name but why gender neutral, surely an option to specify wouldn't have taken long?

Also.. The AI give no room! In '17 they would at least not cut you up on a corner.

So far, so good. Enjoying the feel of the game. Signed with Sauber as I like to start in the lower teams, aim to progress to Ferrari ideally but noticed after just one race the reputation is going up with non-Ferrari affiliated teams like Renault and McLaren. Sure it'll change throughout the season.

Last edited:
Went for McLaren, alongside 'Vandoorne' (Alonso's AI, but it 'is' Vandoorne in my excel file, as I wanted the extra challenge of Alonso's AI, hopefully soon someone will figure out how to change the driver names).
Small issue, I assume you can still pause between races and change settings like AI difficulty? I accidentally forgot to switch qualifying from one-shot to full, and just want to make sure I can change that before I get into the race at Australia. Also, AI is on 106 right now, and assuming I do get better as I get more used to the game, I would of course like to be able to turn it up to the full 110.
I don't see why these changes wouldn't be possible, but I couldn't pause the game when reloading the career, and of course you can't change them while at the event, so hopefully you can do it between races, and I just want to make sure that I won't have to reset the save as, well, I'm quite lazy.

I
Went for McLaren, alongside 'Vandoorne' (Alonso's AI, but it 'is' Vandoorne in my excel file, as I wanted the extra challenge of Alonso's AI, hopefully soon someone will figure out how to change the driver names).
Small issue, I assume you can still pause between races and change settings like AI difficulty? I accidentally forgot to switch qualifying from one-shot to full, and just want to make sure I can change that before I get into the race at Australia. Also, AI is on 106 right now, and assuming I do get better as I get more used to the game, I would of course like to be able to turn it up to the full 110.
I don't see why these changes wouldn't be possible, but I couldn't pause the game when reloading the career, and of course you can't change them while at the event, so hopefully you can do it between races, and I just want to make sure that I won't have to reset the save as, well, I'm quite lazy.

I think in the last title you could quit back to the main menu and change it when you reload.

Small issue, I assume you can still pause between races and change settings like AI difficulty? I

I

I think in the last title you could quit back to the main menu and change it when you reload.

in f1 2018 you can only change the AI between 2 GPs not between a GP's sessions... the 2017 in this matter was better , we have the exact issue of AI being fast in Q and FPs and slow in race or having a impossible-to-reach time in practice programms but in f1 2017 we could change AI between session to solve this...

also by lots of testing i didn't notice any difference between 100 to 104 and there was no difference , it seems the difference going up and down only if you add an amount of 5

in f1 2018 you can only change the AI between 2 GPs not between a GP's sessions... the 2017 in this matter was better , we have the exact issue of AI being fast in Q and FPs and slow in race or having a impossible-to-reach time in practice programms but in f1 2017 we could change AI between session to solve this..

Unfortunately, unless I’m completely missing it, you can’t change the Race Settings at all, even between GPs the options are all greyed out. I can freely change my assist, but not Race Settings.

Very annoying as I’m having the same issues where I can only just keep a food expected pace in Practice and Qualifying, but I’m too quick in the races for the AI. I loved being able to change the setting between all sessions :(

I have read there's quite a few bugs at the moment that could be a bit of a game breaker for my Career mode. So I shall postpone starting my career until it's all been patched out :)

But when I do start it, I shall be signing with Williams!

I started out my career last night with Sauber, partnering Leclerc. Was originally intent on doing 50% races but after hearing of some strange results from others in shorter races, I upped the stakes and went to 100%. I enjoy the driving model of this game and can get into a flow and do long stints without as many things annoying me as past games, so I figured this would be OK. This career is with all assists off (including no flashbacks), using cockpit cam view, simulation damage and 100% AI for now.

Practice got off to a shaky start, with P1 beginning with the car having DRS inoperable for the first 15 minutes of the session. Then when I went out to complete some practice programs, I stupidly decided to hold up and wait for traffic to clear ahead of me...in the middle of the track just before the second to last corner, with Alonso slamming into the back of my car and ending my first practice session about an hour early.

Rest of practice went much better, completing all the programs and objectives successfully with no dramas. Qualifying was looking promising, holding onto 15th position after my first run, but an error off turn 12 after being a few tenths up (which would prove to be a problematic corner in the race as well...) saw me pipped by Gasly and qualifying 16th, which was later promoted to 15th after Vandoorne received a grid penalty (realism much? :p) Leclerc qualified last, four tenths off my time, which was a surprise as he had shown better pace than that in practice.

The race was just about as miserable a first race as you could expect. Lap 1 saw moderate damage to my front wing (at this point the third I had used this weekend!) after Stroll barrelled into the rear of my car into turn 3 from where I then collected I believe a Force India. Initially this didn't hurt my pace too much, able to still hold off both the Williams, Leclerc and even Vandoorne.

However slight contact to the rear of Ocon a few laps later compounded my understeer, and soon everyone bar Sirotkin and Stroll (who had fallen a fair distance back due to his own wing damage) were past me. I decided to swap onto another set of ultras a few laps early and get the damage repaired, and put in a string of quick laps after turning the wick up which was enough to see me clear Sirotkin easily and put me in the ballpark of catching Charles.

After this strong extended stint on the ultras, probably the best phase of the race for me, the outside of turn 12 bit me and threw my car into the wall. I avoided race-ending damage but front wing number four was now in the bin. I pitted immediately for Supers, all the while thinking that I really should have run a softer suspension setup, and came out just behind Stroll, who had made his final stop for ultras after a strong middle stint on the supers.

I held him off for a few laps before he managed to get through. I did manage to get by him again after he got caught out while being lapped, but a few laps later and he did the same to me, overtaking me into turn 13 after I left the inside of the corner wide open while I was preoccupied with blue flags. I was now second last, with Sirtokin about 10 seconds back after making his own final stop

With the race winding down I was trying my best to save energy and fuel to have one late push at Stroll who had jumped to a 4 second lead, with Sirotkin too far behind to be a factor due to his own final stint pace being horrific . However after letting Vettel through to go two laps down with two laps to go for me, I got overzealous on the throttle out of turn 6 and collected a wall, destroying one half of another front wing. I figured there was no point pitting now and tried my best to keep the car on track, but soon enough Sirotkin was past me, demoting me to 16th and last place at my first home grand prix.

Vettel won the race ahead of Ricciardo, with Magnussen picking up a surprise podium for Haas. Both Mercs had a shocker, with Bottas 4th and Hamilton 6th, behind Grosjean. Raikkonen, Verstappen, Sainz and Gasly were the retirements.

R&D upgrades for the round were well spread, with the front wing to hopefully receive a major upgrade come Baku and a minor chassis upgrade set for China. A durability upgrade is in place for Bahrain, just a shame I can't upgrade the durability of my front wing as at this rate I'm probably going to need it. :p

I'm starting Azerbaijan GP now and so far there were some strange bugs like this :
there was not a single session that i didn't beat lance stroll, but every time that girl came to interview the question is :
F1_2018_2018_08_27_17_56_51_841.png

also there are always mass disqualification and the drivers get grip penalty in every session or something like this :
F1_2018_2018_08_27_17_11_49_424.jpg

the good news is that i have found out why these 2 bugs are happening (DSQs and low times)
F1_2018_2018_08_27_17_12_39_069.jpg

this is china , the 3rd GP and the 3rd GP that i have seen this pit line issue , the cars there just keep driving forward and reverse , when a new car after setting time at S1 and S2 enters the pit lane and join this chaos his 3rd sector time goes crazy , the other cars keep doing this untill they ran out of fuel and DSQed for stopping and not moving

I'm starting Azerbaijan GP now and so far there were some strange bugs like this :
there was not a single session that i didn't beat lance stroll, but every time that girl came to interview the question is :
View attachment 266886

also there are always mass disqualification and the drivers get grip penalty in every session or something like this :
View attachment 266887

the good news is that i have found out why these 2 bugs are happening (DSQs and low times)
View attachment 266888

this is china , the 3rd GP and the 3rd GP that i have seen this pit line issue , the cars there just keep driving forward and reverse , when a new car after setting time at S1 and S2 enters the pit lane and join this chaos his 3rd sector time goes crazy , the other cars keep doing this untill they ran out of fuel and DSQed for stopping and not moving
Madness! None of that has happened to me yet. I'm Only doing a 20% career though .

I started out my career last night with Sauber, partnering Leclerc. Was originally intent on doing 50% races but after hearing of some strange results from others in shorter races, I upped the stakes and went to 100%. I enjoy the driving model of this game and can get into a flow and do long stints without as many things annoying me as past games, so I figured this would be OK. This career is with all assists off (including no flashbacks), using cockpit cam view, simulation damage and 100% AI for now.

Practice got off to a shaky start, with P1 beginning with the car having DRS inoperable for the first 15 minutes of the session. Then when I went out to complete some practice programs, I stupidly decided to hold up and wait for traffic to clear ahead of me...in the middle of the track just before the second to last corner, with Alonso slamming into the back of my car and ending my first practice session about an hour early.

Rest of practice went much better, completing all the programs and objectives successfully with no dramas. Qualifying was looking promising, holding onto 15th position after my first run, but an error off turn 12 after being a few tenths up (which would prove to be a problematic corner in the race as well...) saw me pipped by Gasly and qualifying 16th, which was later promoted to 15th after Vandoorne received a grid penalty (realism much? :p) Leclerc qualified last, four tenths off my time, which was a surprise as he had shown better pace than that in practice.

The race was just about as miserable a first race as you could expect. Lap 1 saw moderate damage to my front wing (at this point the third I had used this weekend!) after Stroll barrelled into the rear of my car into turn 3 from where I then collected I believe a Force India. Initially this didn't hurt my pace too much, able to still hold off both the Williams, Leclerc and even Vandoorne.

However slight contact to the rear of Ocon a few laps later compounded my understeer, and soon everyone bar Sirotkin and Stroll (who had fallen a fair distance back due to his own wing damage) were past me. I decided to swap onto another set of ultras a few laps early and get the damage repaired, and put in a string of quick laps after turning the wick up which was enough to see me clear Sirotkin easily and put me in the ballpark of catching Charles.

After this strong extended stint on the ultras, probably the best phase of the race for me, the outside of turn 12 bit me and threw my car into the wall. I avoided race-ending damage but front wing number four was now in the bin. I pitted immediately for Supers, all the while thinking that I really should have run a softer suspension setup, and came out just behind Stroll, who had made his final stop for ultras after a strong middle stint on the supers.

I held him off for a few laps before he managed to get through. I did manage to get by him again after he got caught out while being lapped, but a few laps later and he did the same to me, overtaking me into turn 13 after I left the inside of the corner wide open while I was preoccupied with blue flags. I was now second last, with Sirtokin about 10 seconds back after making his own final stop

With the race winding down I was trying my best to save energy and fuel to have one late push at Stroll who had jumped to a 4 second lead, with Sirotkin too far behind to be a factor due to his own final stint pace being horrific . However after letting Vettel through to go two laps down with two laps to go for me, I got overzealous on the throttle out of turn 6 and collected a wall, destroying one half of another front wing. I figured there was no point pitting now and tried my best to keep the car on track, but soon enough Sirotkin was past me, demoting me to 16th and last place at my first home grand prix.

Vettel won the race ahead of Ricciardo, with Magnussen picking up a surprise podium for Haas. Both Mercs had a shocker, with Bottas 4th and Hamilton 6th, behind Grosjean. Raikkonen, Verstappen, Sainz and Gasly were the retirements.

R&D upgrades for the round were well spread, with the front wing to hopefully receive a major upgrade come Baku and a minor chassis upgrade set for China. A durability upgrade is in place for Bahrain, just a shame I can't upgrade the durability of my front wing as at this rate I'm probably going to need it. :p
Awesome write up as usual Justin!

Started my career with Williams and have just completed FP1 and FP2. I smashed out all the practice programmes so that I can focus purely on qualifying for FP3.

The car is an absolute dog, but I don't care, so long as I beat Stroll I'm happy.

F1_2018_photo_20180828_200507.jpg

42533544570_714a9627f2_c.jpg

Only 2 rounds in, and Bahrain has already become one of the most explosive weekends of my career so far. In fact, it kind of feels like a genuine blemish, especially after the heroics of Melbourne. Safe to say, I think everyone is going to be angry with everyone else...
Practice sessions went decently enough, but I kind of had it in the back of my mind that Sebastian already had the upper hand around this track. Infact, in qualifying, I never once got turns 9 and 10 right (Seriously, that corner taunted me all goddamn weekend!), and it showed after Q3. And then the race itself... Damn, the entire race went schizophrenic...
Okay, so in the very early parts of the race, Loria and Makoto managed to jump Lewis and the Red Bulls off the line and lead 1-2 in the first few laps of the race. Then we do our scheduled 1st pit stops of the race. Now fast forward a little bit later and the first bit of controversy in the race has already occurred! Lewis Hamilton ends up having mechanical faults at turns 1, 2 and 3. Then, out of nowhere, while Lewis is retiring from the race, Valterri Bottas suddenly hits Hamilton! Toto Wolff is gonna absolutely go off on the two of them... And from there, the tension only gets worse...
So, fast forward to the 2nd round of pit stops, and like with Baku last year when I covered Bottas, I immediately come in to cover Max Verstappen. From then until pretty much the end of the race, I pretty much had to run on defense all the damn time, and on the last lap, the tensions completely boiled over. Trying to cover Max off coming into the first corner which opens up turns 2 and 3, I instead misjudge how much distance I actually needed to brake and the #33 car proceeds to bump me wide! It gets worse, people. At turn 6 of the last lap of the grand prix, I proceeded to return the favor and give him a piece of my mind. While I did finish 3rd after the race due to the questionable FIA decision to give me a mere warning, the truth is that I somehow feel even worse than I did at Melbourne. Combined with the telling off I got from both my manager and Carl AND the argument with Verstappen after the race, the entire weekend has just been one long nightmare, something that needs to be corrected next time out in Shanghai...

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 15 30.0%