Does AC really need mods ?

Just as an example that I know was amazing for the time and still is, check Endo's Nissan GTR and Nissan Skyline R32.

Both very well made and the attention to detail probably puts AC stuff to shame. OK maybe poly counts are not up there for the zoomed in photo-mode guys, but consider these are made from prints and pictures not a CAD mesh from the manufacturer, it's good stuff for about 4 or 5 years ago!
Every detail you'd care to observe has probably had hours spent by the author looking at it to get it perfect.

http://www.smcars.net/threads/nissan-skyliner32-gt-r.32938/

OK no finished physics, but you have to remember that no one makes a physics engine capable of simulating these types of cars how the authors of them want them to be recreated.
Maybe AC will get there and be that simulator, so lets see how far we get down that road.

The real question is, do modders have a system to put their content in where they will be happy to invest the time and make it right.

If AC provides that kind of environment then I believe we'll see amazing mods. If it doesn't then we won't.

I think a big part of the modding will pivot around how far the python scripting can dig into the physics variables on the fly.

Dave

Show me the free stuff that is better than the paid stuff coming from KS, no one seems to be able to do this....

PS, the paid stuff from KS has F458 front tyres looking too high profile, and the tyre textures messed up.

I know a modder for example would take an exact tyre profile and recreate it, not happy to simply draw a tyre like an oil drum right off the wheel bead edge.

tyre_profile.JPG

No excuse to have tyre side wall profiles the wrong size/shape if you have the real car to measure from and cad models!

Dave

Just to make it clear, I didn't say that free "stuff" is better per se, but neither did I say that paying for "stuff" guarantees high quality.

Looking back at what rFactor once was and what it became because of the mods does however shed some light on rFactors way of development and the popularity it gained in the racing community. And in these terms now, one has to think a bit ahead and imagine what Assetto Corsa may or may not become.

While thinking of this one shouldn't underestimate a die hard modder who is trying to create realistic mods with a deep passion in his free time. Because his passion alone calls for the ambition to make his personal mods as close to reality as possible. And for this, I bet that he is going to use and utilize any which tool and program code he can gather only to achieve this goal.

Assetto Corsa is fresh on the market and to todays sim-standards probably outstanding, at least when someone is listening to the broad audience, but, just like rFactor, with time the modding community will learn the program structure and tools and might eventually develop content which will be on par with or exceed the state of Assetto Corsa 1.0 at launch date. Of course the modding scene and their environment has changed today, but it is not like there were no challenges back in the days, the challenges are just different.

Let's wait until we get some quality mods for AC and then evaluate. At this point there isn't much to talk about, is there?

To all the mod-junkies; Kunos is aware of the importance of getting the community involved. The basic structure of AC provides good modding opportunities. Now it's time for the mod community to deliver (once AC is out of the beta phase).

We can however be sure of the quality of the Kunos products. It's quite simply top notch with an amazing attention to details. I for one am very happy to support the future of AC by paying for some quality content. And the good thing is, it won't be '1 car-15$' like iRacing, but a bunch of cars and tracks for a reasonable price. Sounds perfect to me.

I know it's still beta but those Ferrari F458 tyres and front wheels are really bugging me :D

The KTM wheels are off-centre and wobble around a bit too iirc.

I really hope once the rush is over for a release they go through all this stuff and make it right, or get it right for the first release.

Part of me isn't too bothered as long as they will fix them.

It reminds me of the wrong wheels in Forza 4 where they use the front wheels at the back of the cars like F50 and Enzo haha, or GT4 where a load of cars had too small wheels (looks like someone used tyre diameter to set the rim diameter of the model, oops :D )

Dave

I've played many mods and tracks in rFactor that are way better than the default content that was provided in the game by ISI. I think it's just up to each person to search hard enough ;)

Sometimes you get people who download 2 or 3 utterly bad mods to start with, and then decide "all 3rd party mods are crap". Perhaps you should try to find the better ones first.

Been thinking about this and there is perhaps a better way to ask the question.
Modding is an attitude and we should ask the question relating to that attitude and not to the product/s of that attitude.

My first "mod"ification was crosshair sprites in quake, did not like the default, there was not a menu option to change it so went looking at other means.

I was right in about the .ini files in AC. I am not a modder by any means but I do have a modding attitude. If I don't like it, I will find a way to change it. Some folks just don't.

I propose a refined question.
How far should we be allowed to modify AC?

If AC will not be fully moddable for sure it will lose to his opponents... in other words it will became NetKar Pro II...

How many Mods does iRacing have ?
How many Mods does Raceroom Racing Experience have ?

FYI

From Assetto Corsa Website

MODDING & CUSTOMIZATION
Assetto Corsa will allow for considerable customisation and modification, in order to satisfy the expectations of professional simracers, gamers who prefer to approach the driving experience more progressively, and hobbyists who just like to reproduce and share their cars and tracks, taking advantage of the same editing tools developed and used by the developers of the game.

Last edited:
Assetto Corsa is on a complete other level than rFactor but it's going to be interesting to see what the modders can do !

It doesn't matter wich level it is, what matters is the game longevity, i'm playing rFactor for some years and if nothing better or interesting appear i don't mind playing it for more 5 or 6. NetKar Pro was another level simulator and just a very restrict number of people played it, so it doesn't matter what a simulator is but what you can do with it...

It doesn't matter wich level it is, what matters is the game longevity, i'm playing rFactor for some years and if nothing better or interesting appear i don't mind playing it for more 5 or 6. NetKar Pro was another level simulator and just a very restrict number of people played it, so it doesn't matter what a simulator is but what you can do with it...

Kunos are in for the long haul !

Everything about AC is leaps and bounds better than rF and I myself find it looking very dull especially comparing to AC !

Once the drifters find out about all the cars drifting capability it is surely going to spread like wildfire which will give it a good money injection :laugh: !

Assetto Corsa is the best thing that happend Sim Racing since RBR (Which I have been playing for 9 years now :D ) !

Kunos tire model is second to none just as the FFB, no one can touch Kunos there !

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back