Does AC really need mods ?

High quality mods will prelong the life of any sim and Assetto Corsa is no different. Kunos clearly saw the legs rFactor has enjoyed due to the modding scene. We may even see commercial releases from other sim developers using Assetto Corsa's graphics and physics engines as is done with rFactor now.

Multiplayer is a much more deciding factor for the life of the game for me. If thats good I can enjoy good online racing for years. (couple of cars, couple of tracks will do).

I've honestly never enjoyed racing with mods in rfactor that much for the simple reason that most car mods aren't that good, at least the majority have never convinced me to stay away from the default content.

I think the same will happen with AC, quantity over quality and hopefully the few high quality mods will extend the life of online racing.

But as with all things in life its very good to have choices.

A friend of mine said recently :

"Without mods, AC will last 1 year. With mods, it'll last 10."

What do you think ?

Kunos will provide DLC and new features for years to come so I don't see mods as essential for a long life. However there will always be cars and tracks Kunos don't make so there is a place for mods. But modders will have to significantly raise their game to match the quality of the Kunos cars and tracks.

What do you think ?
Depends.

just look at LFS he does not allow mods + with fantasy tracks and cars but he still active even with lack of development..
I don't think we have the same definition of "active"

Some enthusiasts still play LFS regularly but even a large part of their fan based doesn't.

My impression is always solid physics but not much content that really interests me, and that hasn't changed since the first time I played it. I'm not against fantasy tracks when they are made well, but sometimes (actually most of the time) I want locations where I really want to drive and race, and in that regard LFS doesn't offer much :unsure:

AC content and amount of content is or will be good enough to be a good base for (online) racing in the foreseeable future, unlike rFactor (1) for example, and modding will accompany that :)

I've nothing against mods in principle, it's just there are so few of any real quality that i usually find them a waste of time.

More tracks is always good, but when the developers give you high quality laser scanned tracks to begin with the majority of modded tracks are going to feel inadequate. Still, there are always exceptions and teams like VLM have always produced top quality work so it will be good to see stuff of that quality in AC.

Cars are a different ballgame altogether. Good physics are so hard to get right. The only mod car physics I've felt were any good over the years all came from Aris and Niels so i hold out less hope for really good cars tbh.

Still, mods are fine if that's what people want. they certainly give sims longevity. No ones forced to use them :) I'll be happily purchasing all official content though. Nothing beats quality.

As has been stated already, the mods quality has a major influence on how well it will be received as well as what cars the mod is representing, I personally feel there is really only a handful of mods needed to extend a Sims life, like F1, V8 Supercars, DTM, NASCAR, GT3's
But obviously each country would want a mod of their own series, like BTCC, NASCAR, STCC, ATCC etc etc.
I think Kunos has a strong plan to help the Modding community attain the quality needed to keep AC mods to a particular standard, but we will see what transpires. I see nothing but good things for AC & Kunos in the future.

I think mods are good for helping to build and sustain a community regardless of how many are really well done. Many people enjoy that side of things and it keeps people engaged between first-party content releases. The cream will rise to the top and those few gems are worth sifting through less polished efforts. It's part of the reason I enjoy pc gaming and usually prefer pc versions of multi-platform releases, even though it may be a long wait.

For me, mods will be an essential part of the game. Although the current content is very, very good, I really only enjoy open wheelers, and the default open wheelers to be included will be quite limited, and indeed no F1 cars.

But I will probably play the default cars for quite a few years anyway, unlike most games.

Off topic - I think I'm one of the maybe 5 people who still plays GP4 with 100% of its original content - 11 years later :p

Being allowed to mod is more important than the mods that are subsequently released.
At this moment we should all be reluctant to leave Netkar for Assetto Corsa, this is not the case for most of us because of a negative multiplayer experience early in the life of Netkar.
Crap mods will not have folks jumping ship, sketchy multiplayer will.

I never see the appeal for F1 cars, they are as boring to drive in a sim as they are to watch on a Sunday afternoon.

At the risk of sounding like Lewis Hamilton - whaaat? They're thoroughbred racers, man!

I really don't feel like driving heavy cars like tintops for too long, it just doesn't feel right, and with the slowness of them compared to F1 cars, the periods where you do nothing, makes me feel like I have ADD. On some straights, I get a strong urge to go make a sandwich. :ninja:

This thread reminds me why I kinda avoid sim communities, because people seem to think that having no options is better than having them. I'm pretty sure some of you would like AC having only a single box with wheels that drives perfectly. /End Rant

Games that have no mods can only keep me entertained for a week at most, no matter how good they are, in fact, I don't even bother to buy games that have no modding support anymore, as I know they won't last long in my HDD.

However, my opinion is quite biased towards modding since I like making mods myself. :D

This is one of the strongest reasons I don't care about console gaming, because I can't modify the games to fit my tastes. Speaking of tastes, as exemplified by some posts here in this thread, everyone likes completely different things than everyone else, so modding gives the chance for everyone to get something they would want in the game. :)

TL;DR: Limiting the possibilities only makes things get stale quicker. ;)

At the same time that is also the great thing about simracing @XN-Sigma. Some people just want to race, others specialize in painting car skins, others go only for the modding side, and you have people organizing racing series for other peoples fun.

Totally agree that having choices is good and to be honest in next gen sims they could even offer more specialized positions imo: a team chef that does the strategy, four players that operate as mechanics and online change the tyres of a driver for example.

I'd like simracing to evolve in a motorsport niche that is more teambased and offers even more choices. :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back